NCAA scoring record in jeopardy | The Boneyard

NCAA scoring record in jeopardy

Status
Not open for further replies.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Pete Maravich's scoring record is finally in jeopardy. Antoine Davis (Detroit Mercy) scored 38 points against Purdue Fort Wayne to continue his college career and get within 25 points of the record. If he scores 26 or more against Horizon regular season champs Youngstown State, he will break the record. The asterisk will surely be added to the record though as Davis will have taken 5 years while Maravich only took three. Something to watch for tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Pete Maravich's scoring record is finally in jeopardy. Antoine Davis (Detroit Mercy) scored 38 points against Purdue Fort Wayne to continue his college career and get within 25 points of the record. If he scores 26 or more against Horizon regular season champs Youngstown State, he will break the record. The asterisk will surely be added to the record though as Davis will have taken 5 years while Maravich only took three. Something to watch for tomorrow.
Impressive for Antoine.. Imagine if Pete would have had the benefit of a three- point line during his CBB career??

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Is he doing it in 4 years or 5?

Reaction Score
Obviously Davis is a good player who can score . So Davis takes 5 years--Pete takes 3. Davis has 3 pt. line and Pete only has two. Davis competes at Horizon league and Pete with LSU. And the NCAA is going to declare a new scoring record? What a different world we live in.

Reaction Score

Purdue Fort Wayne is my Alma Mater. We suck at all sports except for Mens Volleyball (sort of).

When Dane Fife (played at IU) was there, buzz was around the program, but he couldn't really do anything of note.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't think it is quite so impressive.

Freshmen were not allowed to play varsity in Maravich's day and how many less games/season did he play as well? A few years ago, Kentucky was preparing to produce 40-0 championship T-shirts. Maravich played less than 28 games/year over 3 seasons. Nothing against Davis, but he is barely going to eclipse Maravich in total scoring while playing in 72% more total games.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don't think it is quite so impressive.

Freshmen were not allowed to play varsity in Maravich's day and how many less games/season did he play as well? A few years ago, Kentucky was preparing to produce 40-0 championship T-shirts. Maravich played less than 28 games/year over 3 seasons. Nothing against Davis, but he is barely going to eclipse Maravich in total scoring while playing in 72% more total games.

Yeah. In 2019-2020 and 2020-2021, the two seasons most impacted by COVID, Davis played in 52 games.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Yeah. In 2019-2020 and 2020-2021, the two seasons most impacted by COVID, Davis played in 52 games.

Freshmen are allowed to play varsity and programs play more games per season than they used to. Also, Pistol Pete played in the SEC. Davis has played five seasons in the Horizon league. I hope he perseveres, but my guess is he'll be a second round pick at best.

Reaction Score
Pete could sure fill it up.. Had the ultimate "green light" to shoot when open with Dad on the bench as HC.. Had a former business associate who played for two years on those LSU teams.. Had some pretty wild stories about those days. He was a magician with the ball

Reaction Score
Obviously Davis is a good player who can score . So Davis takes 5 years--Pete takes 3. Davis has 3 pt. line and Pete only has two. Davis competes at Horizon league and Pete with LSU. And the NCAA is going to declare a new scoring record? What a different world we live in.
The ncaa really isn’t declaring anything, they just track cumulative points.

Reaction Score
I'm not old enough to have watched Pete but everyone who was insists he was the best college baller ever. Good for Antoine.
Also, if you don't watch the mid major conference tourneys you're missing the best stuff. All ❤️

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
I'm old enough, and I watched Pistol Pete. He was the best offensive college baller I ever saw, but not the best. The best win. Kareem was the best.

Reaction Score
This has to have an asterisk next to it at the very least.

Reaction Score
All sports change their rules over time. The asterisk is not needed. This is the same argument as Ruth vs Maris due to games played (ALL RISE).

What's impressive is Antoine has scored 500 more points than Doug McDermott in the same amount of college games. Doug McDermott is 7th all time.

Noone is arguing who's the better player...stats are stats.

Reaction Score
Antoine is such an interesting player. Never left Detroit Mercy when it would have helped his career... he's basically a playground player, but you upped the skill and athleticism +1000.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Would be interesting if anyone went back and recalculated Pete’s totals giving him 3 pts for the shots from that distance

I remember talking to Wes Bialosuknia about this and he just laughed it off and said just about every shot I took would be worth 3.

Reaction Score
All sports change their rules over time. The asterisk is not needed. This is the same argument as Ruth vs Maris due to games played (ALL RISE).

What's impressive is Antoine has scored 500 more points than Doug McDermott in the same amount of college games. Doug McDermott is 7th all time.

Noone is arguing who's the better player...stats are stats.
It's not like that at all, it would've been like that if he did it in 4 seasons but he's getting an extra year of college basketball and that needs to be pointed out via asterisk and with an explanation beside it. Players before him did it in 3 years and then 4 seasons, he gets 5 seasons and players after him will go back to only getting 4 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom