NCAA scoring record in jeopardy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NCAA scoring record in jeopardy

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This is Davis' 5th year playing for Detroit Mercy. Impressive nonetheless, but not the same as Pistol Pete.
Pete also did it in three. Freshmen weren't eligible to play varsity back then.

If he had four years and a three point line you could have doubled his career points total.

Reaction Score
It's not like that at all, it would've been like that if he did it in 4 seasons but he's getting an extra year of college basketball and that needs to be pointed out via asterisk and with an explanation beside it. Players before him did it in 3 years and then 4 seasons, he gets 5 seasons and players after him will go back to only getting 4 seasons.
I understand what you're saying, but he will end up playing less than 10 games more than Doug McDermott did...
The number of seasons played does not seem to equate to total games played.

Regardless, Pistol Pete will always be in a league of his own, and his scoring record will never be broken if we base it on how fast it took someone to get there.

Reaction Score
Antoine is such an interesting player. Never left Detroit Mercy when it would have helped his career... he's basically a playground player, but you upped the skill and athleticism +1000.
His father was hired as the coach there in 2018. I'm sure that had a large influence on him going there, and staying to play for him.

Reaction Score
Would be interesting if anyone went back and recalculated Pete’s totals giving him 3 pts for the shots from that distance
Like approaching 10,000 points :)

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
Would be interesting if anyone went back and recalculated Pete’s totals giving him 3 pts for the shots from that distance

From this article:

Former LSU coach Dale Brown (who discovered Shaq) charted every Pistol LSU game and said if the three-pointers were counted, Maravich would have averaged a cartoony 57 ppg.

Maravich averaged 44.2ppg in 83 games. IF that 57ppg figure is accurate (I have no clue if Dale Brown really did chart all of his shots), then in 83 games Maravich would’ve had 4,731 points which is absolutely bonkers.

Reaction Score

From this article:

Former LSU coach Dale Brown (who discovered Shaq) charted every Pistol LSU game and said if the three-pointers were counted, Maravich would have averaged a cartoony 57 ppg.

Maravich averaged 44.2ppg in 83 games. IF that 57ppg figure is accurate (I have no clue if Dale Brown really did chartThe all of his shots), then in 83 games Maravich would’ve had 4,731 points which is absolutely bonkers.
There's no way Maravich made 13 3-point distance shots per game.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score

From this article:

Maravich averaged 44.2ppg in 83 games. IF that 57ppg figure is accurate (I have no clue if Dale Brown really did chart all of his shots), then in 83 games Maravich would’ve had 4,731 points which is absolutely bonkers.
I can't verify Dale Brown's conclusion but having seen Maravich (a couple televised games and a ton of highlights) that does seem realistic. He took (and made) a lot of 25-30 foot shots.

While the progress of the game and players that have come after him has changed things (Curry, Magic may have surpassed him) many experts had claimed that he was the best shooter, passer, ball hander (not always all three by any one expert) that they ever saw. Anyone who never saw him should look at his highlights on YouTube. The kid was amazing with the ball in his hands.

Reaction Score
I can't verify Dale Brown's conclusion but having seen Maravich (a couple televised games and a ton of highlights) that does seem realistic. He took (and made) a lot of 25-30 foot shots.

While the progress of the game and players that have come after him has changed things (Curry, Magic may have surpassed him) many experts had claimed that he was the best shooter, passer, ball hander (not always all three by any one expert) that they ever saw. Anyone who never saw him should look at his highlights on YouTube. The kid was amazing with the ball in his hands.
Only 9 times have guys ever made 13 or more 3s in a single game in 37 year NCAA history of the 3 point line. No one has ever done it twice. And his coach wants us to believe he averaged that per game over his 83 game career?

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Pete and Calvin Murphy put up some gaudy numbers during their college years. And both shot a lot from deep.
Murphy basically opened the door for small guards again. People talk about how soft the NBA is today compared to the 1990's. This is true but what isn't said is that the play was a lot more physical in the 1980's than it was in the 90's and the 1970's was worse than the 80's.

By the end of the 1960's smaller guards were being phased out because they were getting beaten up too badly. Murphy, with his skills and determination basically opened the door for guys like Tiny Archibald, Kevin Porter, etc.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Only 9 times have guys ever made 13 or more 3s in a single game in 37 year NCAA history of the 3 point line. No one has ever done it twice. And his coach wants us to believe he averaged that per game over his 83 game career?
1 - Other than (possibly) Steph Curry, no college basketball player was close to as accurate from three point range than Pete Maravich.

2 - No player in college (or professional) basketball has ever been given the freedom to shoot from any spot he wanted to that Pete Maravich was given from his father (LSU's head coach, Press Maravich) when Pete was in college.

3 - I would wager that in less than 20% of the games that he played at LSU Pete Maravich made fewer than 10 shots from more than 21 feet from the basket.

Seriously, you need to see what he did when he was at LSU. I will concede (to avoid a debate that would derail the point of this, not because I fully believe it is true) that Curry was a better three point shooter. Pete's shooting ability pales in comparison to his ball handling skills and his passing skills. I firmly encourage all basketball fans to watch what he did as nobody was better than he was with the ball in his hands.

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
There's no way Maravich made 13 3-point distance shots per game.
Yea can’t be sure of the source. But if he makes even half that he still scores over 4,000 points in an 83 game college career. That’s just insanity to me.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
So hard to compare performances between eras that far apart.

Maravich’s numbers would have been different if he had a three point line, but also, defenses would have played him differently if there was. (I don’t care if the shooter is J.H. Christ…every defense would leave him free to take all the 25‘ two-point shots he wants.) He also would not have put up those numbers today.

So basically, both players had spectacular college careers. Appreciate ‘em for what they did because the comparisons will never work.

Reaction Score
So hard to compare performances between eras that far apart.

Maravich’s numbers would have been different if he had a three point line, but also, defenses would have played him differently if there was. (I don’t care if the shooter is J.H. Christ…every defense would leave him free to take all the 25‘ two-point shots he wants.) He also would not have put up those numbers today.

So basically, both players had spectacular college careers. Appreciate ‘em for what they did because the comparisons will never work.
On this issue, IMHO, it is very easy to compare performances. Forget the 3 point line and the different conferences---even with just 2 point shots Pete scored his points in 3 seasons and Davis scored his points in 5 seasons. It's obvious which is the better performance.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Pistol Pete is one of my all time favorites - a one of a kind baller
Congrats to Antoine Davis - I've watched him several Friday nights the past 3 years and the kid has made himself into an all around scorer. He is refreshing to watch and he would start and produce at a high level on any D1 team in the nation.

Reaction Score
The bad news: He needs 26 and he has 7 at halftime.

The good news: Detroit Mercy is actually up by 4. Keep it up and he might get another shot next game

Reaction Score
The record survives for 2 more weeks until Detroit pays to get into the CBI

Reaction Score
It probably didn't affect Maravich much, but there wasn't a shot clock in his era either.

Davis did break the record for career 3-pointers. He's also been respectful to Maravich during the pursuit of the scoring record.
I hope Detroit doesn't get into the CBI, though. That would cheapen the record more than playing five years or shooting 3-pointers, since Detroit isn't among the top 200 teams in Division I.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
Wow. Some of y’all actively rooting against a college kid because…..why? Dude scored a lot of points. No one is saying he is better than Pistol Pete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom