NCAA Scandal and Kevin Ollie | The Boneyard

NCAA Scandal and Kevin Ollie

Reaction Score
I’ve been as critical as anyone about KO. The lack of player development, his inability to motivate the team, to properly adjust to in game situations, and the lack of player retention are just a few of the issues.

But if UConn gets off unscathed over the next month, does KO get another year? Should they maintain consistency at Head Coach in a sport that will be a revolving door of chaos?

Not chalking up his failure to recruiting disadvantage, but would it make sense to keep him for another year in an environment of very choppy waters for players, coaches, and programs.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I’ve been as critical as anyone about KO. The lack of player development, his inability to motivate the team, to properly adjust to in game situations, and the lack of player retention are just a few of the issues.

But if UConn gets off unscathed over the next month, does KO get another year? Should they maintain consistency at Head Coach in a sport that will be a revolving door of chaos?

Not chalking up his failure to recruiting disadvantage, but would it make sense to keep him for another year?

I was thinking about this last night but it may force their hand in this fashion.

If some amount of big schools are looking at the same time there are not enough candidates and the prices in that seller’s market will be insane.

Reaction Score
I was thinking about this last night but it may force their hand in this fashion.

If some amount of big schools are looking at the same time there are not enough candidates and the prices in that seller’s market will be insane.
Are you saying they may be forced to drop him because it’ll be a sellers market?

Meaning so many coaches get fired, they should be able to school a great name at a cheap price?

Or the lack of available coaching talent will make it too expensive to hire someone?

Reaction Score

Not chalking up his failure to recruiting disadvantage, but would it make sense to keep him for another year in an environment of very choppy waters for players, coaches, and programs.
Lol, cmon.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Are you saying they may be forced to drop him because it’ll be a sellers market?

Meaning so many coaches get fired, they should be able to school a great name at a cheap price?

Or the lack of available coaching talent will make it too expensive to hire someone?

No the opposite. There might be so many openings at big programs there aren’t enough coaches to fill them and the prices will be astronomical.

Reaction Score
We are under NCAA investigation.
I’m aware. But i haven’t seen any $100k payments or spreadsheets linking our guys to agents.

Its incredible when you think about that info coming from a single sports agency. Imagine if data is released from 2-3 others. There’s no way an agency knowingly remained at a competitive disadvantage if they knew others were paying players.

But if our investigation is a slap on the wrist or takes another 2yrs (standard at the NCAA), that’s very different from the info coming out now

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No the opposite. There might be so many openings at big programs there aren’t enough coaches to fill them and the prices will be astronomical.
Tend to agree. If a large number of coaches were involved in direct payments, the Sean Millers of the game might coach again. But certainly not immediately.

Schools would be insane to hire them for next year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Tend to agree. If they show a large number of coaches were involved, the Sean Millers of the game will coach again. But certainly not immediately.

Schools would be insane to hire them for next year.

If you proactively fire your coach to curry NCAA favor, you can’t exactly bring in someone radioactive.

Reaction Score

Now the NCAA feels threatened. It is alright for NC to have bogus classes because they included non-athletes. So maybe the NCAA handles this by counting all academic scholarships and aid as payments to everyone. Thus, payoffs are alright.

Reaction Score
If you proactively fire your coach to curry NCAA favor, you can’t exactly bring in someone radioactive.
Totally, that’s a given. There’s not a shot in heII Arizona brings in Pitino.

I meant Pitt would go bargain shopping for a Sean Miller. But that’s difficult to justify as a move for next year. Would take a few years for the stain to wash off a guy like Miller

Reaction Score
Totally, that’s a given. There’s not a shot in heII Arizona brings in Pitino.

I meant Pitt would go bargain shopping for a Sean Miller. But that’s difficult to justify as a move for next year. Would take a few years for the stain to wash off a guy like Miller

Lol. What does the NCAA rule state about recruiting and coaching from federal prison?

Reaction Score
Yeah, why not. Pay him the buyout, then bring in Sean Miller with Pitino as an assistant. I think Shaq has a year of eligibility left.

I will state I am not happy with the state of the program. It is unfair not to put a lot of that directly on Ollie's shoulders. Last year he basically blew up the program and hit the reset button. Bringing 6 new players, plus 3 more who played little or non for the past 2 or 3 years and new coaches has not helped. They have not developed players nearly as much as I liked and for some reason have not gotten players to play defense.
With that being said, you cannot just write off the championship as right place, right time and in the same thread say he can't coach. Also the tourney team 2 years ago cannot be dismissed as luck. Cannot have it both ways.
With the strong incoming class and the 2014 title(barring any major violation)I would bring him back.
I DO NOT WANT someone else's garbage.

Reaction Score

Force their hand? Perhaps show what he may have been up against the whole time as well. Yes he has long way to go as a very young head coach. No doubt AT ALL. But think about the last minute losses or the plethora of big recruits that bailed at the 10th or 11th hour for seemingly gr$$ner pastures. Calhoun was somewhat vocal about this too at one point and we are all aware of bobby knight talking about cal a few years back as Indiana, another blue blood was suffering the same drain of talent we’ve seen at the hands of greased bag men. As it looks. We may have the only NC coach with a clean slate, great graduation rate, APR, and all his banners STILL HANGING!!

Reaction Score
Force their hand? Perhaps show what he may have been up against the whole time as well. Yes he has long way to go as a very young head coach. No doubt AT ALL. But think about the last minute losses or the plethora of big recruits that bailed at the 10th or 11th hour for seemingly gr$$ner pastures. Calhoun was somewhat vocal about this too at one point and we are all aware of bobby knight talking about cal a few years back as Indiana, another blue blood was suffering the same drain of talent we’ve seen at the hands of greased bag men. As it looks. We may have the only NC coach with a clean slate, great graduation rate, APR, and all his banners STILL HANGING!!
we are under NCAA investigation

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
If Hurley is available and wants to come here you do that deal.

This. I'm hoping that if Hurley has some interest, the fact that we aren't named in that report will steer him towards us and away from any big names that may otherwise try to go after him.

Reaction Score
we are under NCAA investigation
Yes. I bet it’s more to do with chill and fultz at Washington than UConn. Just a feeling. Maybe some mr Jackson whining. Do know, the fbi follows up on rumors and such as well, but if it turns out other players were push to lie by the new school.... uh oh!! Not good for them. Unless there are some bodies on campus, something must have been released by now with some substance about what we are accused of, but still nothing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom