NCAA Scandal and Kevin Ollie | Page 3 | The Boneyard

NCAA Scandal and Kevin Ollie

Reaction Score
KO has crap to work with but would a good coach have this many 25 point losses even with this motley crew? No. Not only are we blown out of the water by anybody decent but it’s a life and death struggle against even the mediocre. Can’t believe there are those that want this to go on.
Exactly. I don’t understand the amount of rationalizing people do for a guy who so clearly is not good enough to coach this program.

And that’s without even mentioning his salary. He’s getting paid as if he were one of the top 10 or so coaches in college hoops, yet UConn can’t even contend in the AAC.

There just isn’t a rational argument to keep him any longer.

Reaction Score
Exactly. I don’t understand the amount of rationalizing people do for a guy who so clearly is not good enough to coach this program.

And that’s without even mentioning his salary. He’s getting paid as if he were one of the top 10 or so coaches in college hoops, yet UConn can’t even contend in the AAC.

There just isn’t a rational argument to keep him any longer.

Not trying to rationalize for KO but people have been killing him for recruiting. When it now comes out that recruiting hasn’t exactly been a level playing field (which many knew) some may want to give him the benefit of the doubt. I still think his coaching needs help separate from recruiting but it’s been well documented that he spent time and effort recruiting 5 $tar guy$ that in hindsight we had no $hot with.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Brock Headroom: "Hi, I'm Brock Headroom and this is the news. In college basketball the FBI finally revealed the schools facing 5-year NCAA bans. Dook, North Carolina, Alabama, Arizona, Pacific, Mississippi State, Looeyville, Kentucky, UMASS, Johns Hopkins, Syracuse, Arkansas, Florida State, St. Cloud State and Harvard."

Suzie Littletits: "And as a side story the NCAA came down hard on UCONN, also banning them for 6 years due to former coach Glenn Miller giving a recruit four copies of a course schedule. NCAA rules only allow two."
"The NCAA also gave head coach Kevin Ollie a three game suspension for failing to monitor copier usage."

C

Chief00

Brock Headroom: "Hi, I'm Brock Headroom and this is the news. In college basketball the FBI finally revealed the schools facing 5-year NCAA bans. Dook, North Carolina, Alabama, Arizona, Pacific, Mississippi State, Looeyville, Kentucky, UMASS, Johns Hopkins, Syracuse, Arkansas, Florida State, St. Cloud State and Harvard."

Suzie Littletits: "And as a side story the NCAA came down hard on UCONN, also banning them for 6 years due to former coach Glenn Miller giving a recruit four copies of a course schedule. NCAA rules only allow two."

I have to admit that’s a good one. Throw in a free class catalog and an all inclusive tour of facilities with an unlimited Diary Bar and that will banned us for life.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I was thinking about this last night but it may force their hand in this fashion.

If some amount of big schools are looking at the same time there are not enough candidates and the prices in that seller’s market will be insane.

On the other hand, so many coaches will be fired that we could have the pick of the litter of guys like Miller, Bill Self, etc. Of course, they'll come with sanctions, but who cares? The sanctions will be minor since so many will be impacted.

Reaction Score
Not trying to rationalize for KO but people have been killing him for recruiting. When it now comes out that recruiting hasn’t exactly been a level playing field (which many knew) some may want to give him the benefit of the doubt. I still think his coaching needs help separate from recruiting but it’s been well documented that he spent time and effort recruiting 5 $tar guy$ that in hindsight we had no $hot with.
While that’s fair, it’s worth noting that recruiting is only one of many areas people have been fairly criticizing him for. Player development and in-game coaching have been even more of a disaster.

And again, the guy is making a salary that doesn’t warrant him much benefit of the doubt.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
With that being said, you cannot just write off the championship as right place, right time and in the same thread say he can't coach. Also the tourney team 2 years ago cannot be dismissed as luck. Cannot have it both ways.

There are so many here who don't see it that way. Good post

Reaction Score
Mark Emmert, thinking of his possible statements about Arizona considers Captain Renault's:

"I'm shocked, SHOCKED, to find that gambling is going on in here"
or

"Round up the usual suspects"

but decides on:

First and foremost, that's a decision the school has to make," Emmert said in an interview on CBS.

Crazy you can't make this stuff up.

ps I'm hitting the bottle - (so mods) lets hope I don't get another profanity notice. Please observe that I said "stuff" in the above statement - your "rehabilitation" program appears to be working .... x!$$&!

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Struggling with logic? I just laughed out loud.

FBI investigating paying players. If uconn is not under FBI investigation maybe ncaa investigation isn't for paying players. If ncaa investigation isn't for paying players maybe it is for a minor infraction. Ncaa punishes minor infractions differently than major infractions.
Don't bother Tuna. The parrot won't be happy until KO is forced to carry the 2014 trophy up Calhoun Way and then hung on Hill Top

Reaction Score
With that being said, you cannot just write off the championship as right place, right time and in the same thread say he can't coach. Also the tourney team 2 years ago cannot be dismissed as luck. Cannot have it both ways.

There are so many here who don't see it that way. Good post
Yup. And too many people seem to forget about the job Ollie did the year before the title season keeping the team together and motivated, even with a postseason ban. He deserves a ton of credit for that season, as well as outcoaching some HOFers on the way to the title.

But by every objective measure, he’s been a disaster of a head coach since then, and does not deserve anymore chances beyond this year.

Reaction Score
Is anyone else pissed that Ollie is not being given the "resources" to compete with the Big Boys?? No way should have ever lost Stone to the Terps!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Dude, no one said he’s a paragon of virtue.

And everyone recognizes how bad he’s been and deserves to be shown the door.

If your opinion is that given how horrendous he’s been to the program and given how we are under investigation ourselves, which you presume is as bad as the payment scandal, he should be shown the door regardless of what happens in the general scope of college basketball, then just state that.

Responding with “this thread is a show” and nothing else is a “ show contribution”.

Hate when posters respond, “that’s the dumbest thing I ever hear”. “You’re an idiot” “people here have lost it”. Just write a counter response and move on.

Can’t people have meaningful conversations and write what they think without personal attacks and while offering some basis of thought
Post, handle, avatar trifecta.
Not how SJ rolls.

Reaction Score
I can see the future interview now:

Reporter: When are you going to start punishing schools for paying players to come to play for them?

NCAA: We’re taking this very seriously, as you know we’re currently investigating UConn.

Reporter: But UConn hasn’t been paying players...

NCAA: Yes, but they’ve been stealing championships from programs who have, so we believe they must be doing something bad.

Reporter: So what is the current focus of the UConn investigation?

NCAA: We have reason to believe as recent as 2014 that the huskies were hungry, but they haven’t been since then. We have reason to believe that someone affiliated with the program has been illegally feeding the hungry huskies.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Once Shabazz complained about it bring illegal to feed the players the NCAA changed the rules. Since then the Huskies have not been hungry.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Totally, that’s a given. There’s not a shot in heII Arizona brings in Pitino.

I meant Pitt would go bargain shopping for a Sean Miller. But that’s difficult to justify as a move for next year. Would take a few years for the stain to wash off a guy like Miller

The Pitt hoops insiders board has been having conversations about getting Geno.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
What? He would be an idiot to do that.

Their logic is:
- program is undisciplined
- program has fallen off where they likely can't attract/pay a top-level D1 men's coach
- what are other options for instilling discipline and winning...

Not suggesting Geno would be interested. Only pointing out Pitt hoops fans have an active thread on it.

Reaction Score
The Pitt hoops insiders board has been having conversations about getting Geno.
If Geno leaves UConn, he’s only doing that for one job and it ain’t Pitt

Reaction Score
Mark Emmert, thinking of his possible statements about Arizona considers Captain Renault's:

"I'm shocked, SHOCKED, to find that gambling is going on in here"
or

"Round up the usual suspects"

but decides on:

First and foremost, that's a decision the school has to make," Emmert said in an interview on CBS.

Crazy you can't make this stuff up.

ps I'm hitting the bottle - (so mods) lets hope I don't get another profanity notice. Please observe that I said "stuff" in the above statement - your "rehabilitation" program appears to be working .... x!$$&!
Emmert leaving the decision up to the schools is a smart move. If the NCAA decided Ayton was ineligible and ruled that way immediately, the rest of the country would play on since they could argue they weren’t specifically called out by the NCAA.

It’s basically saying, ‘if there’s any shot you broke the rules, you better sit a player or force a coach to take a leave. We’ll find out sooner or later and hand out harsh punishment if you broke the rules and did nothing. Would expect schools to treat this pretty conservatively and sit guys with even smoke surrounding their name.

But only time will tell.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Then cheer for the debate team. Some of us care about winning at basketball.

How many years are you giving Hurley to bring the program back to a level that would satisfy you?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom