NBA Draft Combine | Page 20 | The Boneyard

NBA Draft Combine

Reaction Score
Who is Celtics PG? How about Mavs?

Tatum and Luka initiate offense.

Halliburton is the engine for Pacers. More a do everything scorer facilitator.

Edwards the playmaker for Twolves with Conley playing a combo role, though Conley is closer to what I think traditional PG is. Castle can play like Conely and Jru Holiday good comps imo.

Unless you got John Stockton, Chris Paul, Lillard as your Point Guard, it is mostly a committee.
Luka is the Mavs point guard. Haliburton is the Pacers point guard.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Mavs literally has 2 PGs in Luka/Kyrie and the lack of a PG/true table setter has been the criticism of the Celtics for like the past 3-4 playoffs, where have you been?
Disagree that it has been a valid criticism. The team success is largely because they abandoned that concept. Of course JT had to become a better facilitator and he has. Even Brown has gotten better at making the extra pass, up to 3.6 APG now.

Luka is an assist machine, but he's also 6'7". Are you saying he's a traditional PG? He's a facilitator, and a great one. Kyrie about the same APG as White, Jrue and Tatum (or Pritchard on a per minute basis).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A group of friends of mine and I used to agree to work in key phrases during monthly meetings. If you failed to do it you had to buy everyone else a drink. One month the "phrase that pays" was "clubbed like a baby seal."

(In all honesty, that wasn't even the most awkward. After a while it got kind of out of hand. It was entertaining though.)

Yeah, eventually the juice ain't worth the squeeze with force feeding inside jokes in to staff meetings.

Reaction Score
Disagree that it has been a valid criticism. The team success is largely because they abandoned that concept. Of course JT had to become a better facilitator and he has. Even Brown has gotten better at making the extra pass, up to 3.6 APG now.

Luka is an assist machine, but he's also 6'7". Are you saying he's a traditional PG? He's a facilitator, and a great one. Kyrie about the same APG as White, Jrue and Tatum (or Pritchard on a per minute basis).
Magic was 6'9", Penny was 6'7", they were PGs just Luka has been the PG in Dallas since day 1. With Luka there Kyrie doesn't need to facilitate as much but he still had 26 assists over a 3 game stretch vs OKC but he's always been more of the new age "lead guard" mold.

As far as the Celtics regular season success isn't new, in the playoffs we've seen them crumble multiple times with Tatum and Brown having to initiate so much offense leading to them settling for jumpers and/or an uptick in turnovers. Lets see how they fare this time around, it helps that they have one of the easier paths to a Finals in recent memory.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Magic was 6'9", Penny was 6'7", they were PGs just Luka has been the PG in Dallas since day 1. With Luka there Kyrie doesn't need to facilitate as much but he still had 26 assists over a 3 game stretch vs OKC but he's always been more of the new age "lead guard" mold.

As far as the Celtics regular season success isn't new, in the playoffs we've seen them crumble multiple times with Tatum and Brown having to initiate so much offense leading to them settling for jumpers and/or an uptick in turnovers. Lets see how they fare this time around, it helps that they have one of the easier paths to a Finals in recent memory.

Yeah, we'll see. Been a bumpier ride than necessary so far against two injury-plagued teams. The Pacers' D is pretty bad so the Celts really should win this.

Holiday and White give them two really good facilitators in the back court. Smart just isn't the PG you want when you're trying to win a title.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Yeah, we'll see. Been a bumpier ride than necessary so far against two injury-plagued teams. The Pacers' D is pretty bad so the Celts really should win this.

Holiday and White give them two really good facilitators in the back court. Smart just isn't the PG you want when you're trying to win a title.
Not even sure if Jrue is that guy either. His best year and playoff series came when Rondo was the PG and he played SG.

That Bucks run is proving to be very fluke and injury impacted.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Magic was a unicorn. Penny was essentially ahead of his time. An early big scoring PG/wing facilitator.

I don't think the PG position has been a significant part of the issue in Boston's struggles in some post season games. The problem has been reliable inside scoring from bigs, which is why they went and got Porzingis. When JB and JT force things, it's not because there isn't a PG around, usually there are two (White and Holloway now, Smart and White last year) it's because the only big is Al who is standing on the 3 point line (or Williams last year who could really only score on lobs).

I'm not saying nobody is playing point guard, just there is almost nobody who gets the ball in the backcourt and brings it up 99% of the time, then looks over the D up top while directing people and deciding how to attack the D. John Stockton, Isaiah Thomas, those kinds of players. Most teams use multiple guys to bring it up and initiate the offense.

Reaction Score
If AK decides to stay in the draft- what about the idea of bringing in Coleman Hawkins? Coleman similar to AK testing the waters in the draft but chance of him returning- the big difference if he returns he’s stated that he won’t go back to Illinois. Think the fit would be pretty fluid- don’t think the rest of the roster would be too thrilled because of PT- but just a thought…..

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Not even sure if Jrue is that guy either. His best year and playoff series came when Rondo was the PG and he played SG.

That Bucks run is proving to be very fluke and injury impacted.

He doesn't need to be THAT guy. He just needs to be solid.

The guy's a winner. The knock on him has been his shooting in the playoffs. Not a huge problem when he's the 5th option.

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score

Anywhere but Charlotte for our guys.

That place is not unlucky it's seen it's draft picks washout. They are just completely devoid of culture and real leadership.

I think Castle can be a bonafide leader but I'd rather him end up where he can plug and play early, rather than also be somewhat responsible for the mental part of the NBA. Fingers crossed for San Antone at four.

Reaction Score
If AK decides to stay in the draft- what about the idea of bringing in Coleman Hawkins? Coleman similar to AK testing the waters in the draft but chance of him returning- the big difference if he returns he’s stated that he won’t go back to Illinois. Think the fit would be pretty fluid- don’t think the rest of the roster would be too thrilled because of PT- but just a thought…..
Looks like Coleman is getting positive vibes from NBA such that he will probably stay in the draft. Like his game if available on the portal

Reaction Score
Too expensive and absolutely sucked in game against UConn. Can do much better

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He doesn't need to be THAT guy. He just needs to be solid.

The guy's a winner. The knock on him has been his shooting in the playoffs. Not a huge problem when he's the 5th option.
I’m a Jrue Holiday hater as a player (because he’s an amazing person off the court).

He’s solid, but I don’t think he’s necessarily a winner. He just had one good year with Giannas. Outside of that he hasn’t won anything outside of the year with Rondo. He also had no business being on an All-Defense team this year. Guards consistently went off against the Celtics. He’s getting by on rep at this point.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
I’m a Jrue Holiday hater as a player (because he’s an amazing person off the court).

He’s solid, but I don’t think he’s necessarily a winner. He just had one good year with Giannas. Outside of that he hasn’t won anything outside of the year with Rondo. He also had no business being on an All-Defense team this year. Guards consistently went off against the Celtics. He’s getting by on rep at this point.
Jrue and his wife got a great write-up in the Athletic: How Jrue Holiday found his voice as a leader with help from his soccer star wife

Seems very well liked with every team he's played on.

"When you trade for Holiday, you trade for Lauren too. He and Lauren welcomed teammates into their family, hosting dinners and doing community service. They sought to intertwine their lives away from the game.

“It’s almost synonymous. I don’t think of Jrue without thinking of Lauren,” former Bucks assistant coach Chad Forcier said. “Just two of my favorite people I’ve ever encountered, like, as humans. Whoever encounters Jrue and Lauren, you just come away feeling better about life, about humanity.”

What Holiday brought to Milwaukee was a sense of community. He helped build chemistry with his teammates.

“I don’t just look at him as a basketball player, man, he was a true friend of mine,” Khris Middleton said. “Off the court, he was able to make everybody around here comfortable by being able to talk to him, being able to hang out, being able to throw anything on him.”

Reaction Score
There seems to be a lot of talk in here as if Karaban is definitely or likely gone -- where is this coming from?
He is good. He has 3 things going for him.

1. Size - 6-8
2. Shooting - terrific shooter from deep
3. Basketball IQ - passing, cutting, how to get his shot. The iq will help compensate for lack of athleticism on defense.

Reaction Score
Jrue and his wife got a great write-up in the Athletic: How Jrue Holiday found his voice as a leader with help from his soccer star wife

Seems very well liked with every team he's played on.

"When you trade for Holiday, you trade for Lauren too. He and Lauren welcomed teammates into their family, hosting dinners and doing community service. They sought to intertwine their lives away from the game.

“It’s almost synonymous. I don’t think of Jrue without thinking of Lauren,” former Bucks assistant coach Chad Forcier said. “Just two of my favorite people I’ve ever encountered, like, as humans. Whoever encounters Jrue and Lauren, you just come away feeling better about life, about humanity.”

What Holiday brought to Milwaukee was a sense of community. He helped build chemistry with his teammates.

“I don’t just look at him as a basketball player, man, he was a true friend of mine,” Khris Middleton said. “Off the court, he was able to make everybody around here comfortable by being able to talk to him, being able to hang out, being able to throw anything on him.”
Holiday has been a savior for Boston. He has been good defensively, not better than white. But
Luka is the Mavs point guard. Haliburton is the Pacers point guard.
Yes and no. Luka a point forward, Halliburton I think of as a lead guard triggerman. Everything comes off his actions.

Reaction Score
He is good. He has 3 things going for him.

1. Size - 6-8
2. Shooting - terrific shooter from deep
3. Basketball IQ - passing, cutting, how to get his shot. The iq will help compensate for lack of athleticism on defense.

I do wonder if the NBA is not sold on his shooting because of his streakiness, wonky form, and uber slow release. We shall see... he's good enough by my eye to deserve a paycheck.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom