Natalie Butler will be the 5th starter...don't doubt me on this..! | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Natalie Butler will be the 5th starter...don't doubt me on this..!

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Personally. I don't think UCONN will have a 5th starter this year. I've heard rumors (and you know rumors always come true as soon as they are denied), that the NCAA is going to make a rule that UCONN can only have 4 players on court at a time. Norman Dale got away with it, so I wouldn't put it past the NCAA. So all this talk about who's gonna be the 5th starter is mute.

Reaction Score
The key to Butler's playing time and effectiveness ( at least for the upcoming season) will be if she can hit the mid range jumper from the post and be an adequate passer,,,in other words, Dolsonesque. Those skills would draw out the opponents big to defend leaving plenty of space for Stewie and Tuck to create low post baskets and create open lanes for Mo and Kia to drive to the hoop. That's the 100 point a game scenario.
If Butler seems more effective in the low post, and IMO she will be, then we'll probably see the outside shot become somewhat more important and see Gabby's minutes increase given her success in the low post. Also, that is the scenario where Lou can be helpful with her 3-ball skills.
Geno has an embarrassment of flexibility with this team and we'll probably see a number of different offensive sets before the right combo is found. In any event, IMO we will see lots of minutes from Lou, Collier and , if healthy, Boykin.
Honestly, I can't remember ever being so excited about an upcoming season so thanks to David to getting us thinking about it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Fair enough, Meyers. I can't see a box and 1 with our personnel. You are right that the 2-3 is more likely. A lot more, now that I think about it.

Last edited:

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
How about we call it what it is? Either man to man or a 2-3 zone. (Although Geno has played a 3-2 (or 1-2-2) zone on occasion recently.) He really hasn't even gone box and 1, let alone a triangle and 2.

Interestingly, he did go the 'other way' for long stretches when Stokes was on the floor - Kiah (1) was in tight around the rim essentially playing that zone while the other (4) played in a match-up zone that looked more like a man-to-man, since UCONN defenders were playing people tight and following them around. Hard to describe that part of the defense as 4-on-5 because Stokes always had a bead on somebody in the lane. Sort of the anti- box-and-1. Not a classic zone by any stretch, though Geno did use that defense at times as well.

I'm not saying this was the defense whenever Stokes was in the game, but it was employed quite a bit (only with Stokes)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Last year, before the season began, I caught a lot of flack right here on the Boneyard, for posting: "Morgan Tuck is too good to not start."

So she started 38 or 39 games, all victories and an NC.

I will now double down, so to speak. For the upcoming season, I believe that:

"Katy Lou Samuelson is too good to not start" (at least 35 games);)
I agree with you about KLS!I think she is a better overall player than KML at this stage of their careers!Kalenna was a better 3pt shooter but Lou has a better handle,can drive to the basket with either hand,quicker in transition and is 4 inches taller!I also think that Collier is to good not to start! What a luxury Geno and CD will have this year!

Reaction Score
Butler reminds me of Tuck in the beginning of last year.

We all know Tuck will be good, but do not know she is so good... thanks God

Reaction Score
I agree with you about KLS!I think she is a better overall player than KML at this stage of their careers!Kalenna was a better 3pt shooter but Lou has a better handle,can drive to the basket with either hand,quicker in transition and is 4 inches taller!I also think that Collier is to good not to start! What a luxury Geno and CD will have this year!
I agree cbra, I have been giving Collier love on several threads. She is an outstanding talent, who I think will be pushing for PT.

Reaction Score
While I'm enthusiastically anticipating what Natalie, Napheesa and Katie Lou will bring to the team next year, after reading all the insightful (yet mostly speculative) comments I'm already starting to feel bad for Saniya, Gabby, Ek and Boykin (Especially Gabby, who provided so many exciting moments last year.) Unless Geno goes deeper into his bench than I'm accustomed to seeing him do, OR unless Saniya, Gabby and Courtney return this year with improved skillsets which they didn't possess last year, OR unless Natalie and the freshmen don't live up to their advanced billing, I fear we're going to have some very unhappy campers seeking playing time.
[Saniya will still get her minutes by being the default 3rd guard]
IMO this team is as deep as the 2001 team was before Shea and Svet were injured.With Gabby and the 3 freshmen(if they start Butler)would make it 4 options off the bench!IMO Boykin is going to surprise everyone.She was injured last year but played for USA basketball before that and her play resembled like Aisha Jones.IMO Courtney Eckmark will make the biggest improvement of the returning players.She was out with an injury and it slowed her progress.As far as the 3rd guard IMO it will be KLS.Moriah and Kia are the starting guards and Lou will play the 2 like KML did.This is MoJeffs team with Nurse taking over next year mentoring Dangerfield!

Reaction Score
I agree with the OP. both about the number of off topic threads, but more importantly about Butler starting. i think she has the advantage because she is the only true center, has a year of practice at UConn (and the coaches have complimented her work ethic in her year off), and has a year of D1 experience where she performed at a high level. I think her passing game is the biggest question in terms of her keeping the job, and playing a lot of meaningful minutes.

Reading the conversation I started thinking it seemed like many people felt Kiah would start this past year because she could most closely fill in the role Dolson vacated. Of course that didn't last too long, and the team was arguably more successful after the change. Now many people think KLS is a natural KML replacement (2 out of 3 letters?), but putting in Butler would make the team more similar to the 2014 team, which was arguably better than the 2015 team (undefeated after all). I'm just trying to say that I don't think plugging a player into a vacancy to attempt to fill the same role is what is going to be most successful approach, and the starters and play style should be chosen to maximize the team.

I think KLS can thrive as a game changer off the bench, it will be less pressure for her and she can still get plenty of time. Plus she can do so much that she can fill in at a variety of positions. The good thing is all the players have a chance to earn (or lose) minutes and a starting spot everyday at practice.

Reaction Score
How about we call it what it is? Either man to man or a 2-3 zone. (Although Geno has played a 3-2 (or 1-2-2) zone on occasion recently.) He really hasn't even gone box and 1, let alone a triangle and 2.
In the half court they seem to play man to man or a match up zone.They also play them both depending on their makes and misses just to confuse the other team because the match up zone looks like a man defense.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
As far as the 3rd guard IMO it will be KLS.Moriah and Kia are the starting guards and Lou will play the 2 like KML did.

When did KML play the 2-spot? I don't recall that ever. Not that the coaching staff is all that concerned with position labels, but I don't think you could get them to agree that KML was a guard or played a guard position. Maybe--maybe--KLS with her edge in ball-handling and quickness could play alongside Jefferson on the offensive end though I think Nurse will get most of those minutes. A more likely scenario, imo, is Lou moving around, looking for screens and lanes to cut into without the ball.

Incidentally, a group of the returning starters plus Williams would be tons of fun. They were together for a stretch in a game against Tulsa last year and they created complete havoc with their quickness and activity level.

Reaction Score
When did KML play the 2-spot? I don't recall that ever. Not that the coaching staff is all that concerned with position labels, but I don't think you could get them to agree that KML was a guard or played a guard position. Maybe--maybe--KLS with her edge in ball-handling and quickness could play alongside Jefferson on the offensive end though I think Nurse will get most of those minutes. A more likely scenario, imo, is Lou moving around, looking for screens and lanes to cut into without the ball.

Incidentally, a group of the returning starters plus Williams would be tons of fun. They were together for a stretch in a game against Tulsa last year and they created complete havoc with their quickness and activity level.
A few times when Stokes came in and they only played 6 players in the close games.In NC Gabby played forward for her 6 minutes and I don't think The starting guards played 40minutes each!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
A few times when Stokes came in and they only played 6 players in the close games.In NC Gabby played forward for her 6 minutes and I don't think The starting guards played 40minutes each!
She played the two A LOT in '13-'14 when Stokes was in and they went to the big lineup. Not as much last year, but still more than a little. She was at the two a lot in the Texas game.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
She played the two A LOT in '13-'14 when Stokes was in and they went to the big lineup. Not as much last year, but still more than a little. She was at the two a lot in the Texas game.

If you watch those games though she wasn't really playing guard like what one would normally consider a guard role. It was still the same role in the Princeton offense, scanning for open spots, passing and moving. It was almost as if UConn went with a one-guard offense.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

Didn't KML play the 2 the year before? When Geno would put the twin towers out there - Stef, Kiah, Stewie, KML and then one of the guards - Bria or Moriah...?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
If you watch those games though she wasn't really playing guard like what one would normally consider a guard role. It was still the same role in the Princeton offense, scanning for open spots, passing and moving. It was almost as if UConn went with a one-guard offense.
Actually I did watch those games. You make a good point, it often appeared to be essentially a one-guard offense. But it seems to me she would still be considered the two. On defense, K had to play the other team's two. Some of this might be semantics.

Reaction Score
I think people forget how clutch KML has been the last two years in big games and in big moments. KLS has very big shoes to fill. Better yet, our team will have have to fill the void of KML taking and making big shots. Plenty of players to do it but in my opinion she carried the brunt of the load. No doubt we will be stacked next year. By the end of he season we are likely to be off the charts good.

Reaction Score
What's the difference between Stef in her sophomore year and Natalie, other than Natalie is a much better rebounder and Stef was a much better passer. Some of you act as though she's unqualified to play for UConn. Playing a zone defense? You have to be kidding. Not athletic? Moriah, Kia, Breanna and Morgan. What's not athletic about those players? Throw in Gabby and Napheesa and you have more than enough athletes. Katie Lou's very mobile for a 6'3" small forward. I can't wait until all of you doubters have to remove your foot from your mouth!

Reaction Score
With Tuck,Stewie,Stokes and either Mo or Kia in the game that would make KML the 2 guard!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
With Tuck,Stewie,Stokes and either Mo or Kia in the game that would make KML the 2 guard!

Technically, if you go by position labels. I'm just saying she doesn't get used like a guard. She pretty much plays the same parts of the floor and in the same manner she always does. Now, defensively she'd likely have a different responsibility, but I don't think this situation is going to be used all that much anyway. UConn has too many other options and there are few teams like Texas that have two huge, quality bigs.

Reaction Score
KML was a "wing" when Stokes came in 2013-2014 and UCONN went big. IMO it is irrelevant whether she was a sg or sf.

IMO Geno is going to use KLS all over / experimenting to see what she can play best and how she can make her teammates better and vice-versa -practices included. It will be so hard to discern sometimes.

For example when she plays with Stewie, Tuck, Gabby (or Collier) and MoJeff -- what is she if Gabby guards the quick sg while then Gabby goes to the post on offense. Is KLS a sg or sf? Does the lineup have a sg or just two wings? Or do they have 4 wings? What is Gabby in this instance? A sg (defense) or a pf (offense)? If Tuck and Stewie interchange a few plays back and forth between post and wing what are each considered in this lineup?

My head hurts.

Reaction Score
Interesting thread. What does Geno do with a plethora of talent? Well, first we're talking 4NCs for Stewie, MoJet and Tuck and 11NCs for Geno. Other than that, how do you keep all the talent happy? Future NCs would be it IMO, even if they don't get much PT in 2015-2016.

I believe LouConn will get plenty of PT as well as Gabby. The others, I dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom