Natalie Butler will be the 5th starter...don't doubt me on this..! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Natalie Butler will be the 5th starter...don't doubt me on this..!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Butler. KLS has a lot to learn in order to be effective on this level. She'll be great, but not right away. (Have we all forgotton Stewie's freshman year before the FF?).

It should be remembered though that Stewart did start as a freshmen, and she was better than I think people remember. She had that one 6-7 game stretch where she was lost/had no confidence, and struggled mightily. But she did start and she did contribute a good amount prior to the NCAA tourney.

It should also be noted that Geno started Chong and Stokes last year before realizing that wasn't the best lineup. So not only do we not know who the best fit for that 5th spot is, the coaches may not even know until some games have been played.

Reaction Score
Butler with the other starters seems clunky to me; poor spacing in the half-court, not a great lineup in the transition game, will have to play zone on defense. Geno will use the big lineup in certain situations but I have my doubts he'll start that lineup.

This could have been said a few years ago about Dolson. :)

Reaction Score
What freshmen is the next Swin Cash with the brash attitude that says START me?.........Can't wait to see the 2015/2016 UCONN movie and 11 National Championship............GO UCONN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
No one knows who the starting lineup will be except Geno in November ( don't doubt me about this). The players will come into class in Sept and everything will play out. No one but Breanna and Moriah have a ticket punched because they are All Americans and deserve the right.
I would also have to add Tuck with Breanna and Moriah. I believe if it weren't for Stewie, Morgan would be the best player on UCONN. IMHO of course.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Last year, before the season began, I caught a lot of flack right here on the Boneyard, for posting: "Morgan Tuck is too good to not start."

So she started 38 or 39 games, all victories and an NC.

I will now double down, so to speak. For the upcoming season, I believe that:

"Katy Lou Samuelson is too good to not start" (at least 35 games);)

Reaction Score
Not sure how important the starting lineup will be next season. In games he anticipates will be competitive, Geno will mix and match-up and will throw multiple looks both offensively and defensively that the other teams will find it hard to deal with. On games that don't figure to be close talent-wise, he may stay with various lineups that he thinks need work.
And one thing is for certain.... any player that doesn't go 100% in practice and on the court will have plenty of time on the bench.
Exactly. Auriemma will have plenty of scrimmages prior to the conference tournament to experiment with various lineups. It's all about getting ready for the NCAA tourney and even then he may have different lineups depending on the opposition. He's probably giving it a lot less thought at this point than this board.

Reaction Score
Agree Butler gets the vacant starter spot, to begin with at least. Also agree the 4 returning starters remain starters. To me it always seems like the "getting better as the season progresses" has to do with the players learning to play together, chemistry, really learning the offense together, defensive communication, etc. So... we have 4 returning starters from a dominant national championship team.... Duhhhh?

But Kib has a point. KLS may be hard to keep on the bench. With Butler the team looks more like the 2013-14 team - some learning curve required for the 4 returning starters. If KLS is in instead of Butler then the team looks a lot more like last year's team - very little learning curve for the returning starters. By tournament time they will have mastered these 2 lineups and much more. Better stop now - I'm starting to feel sorry for everyone else....

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree with David, though I value Cat's opinion. I think Natalie gives us defense and rebounding. Just as teams had difficulty scoring against our big unit that included Kiah the past 2 years, I think that is our best defensive lineup. As noted, Natalie has a year in the Big East and a year at UConn under her belt. She's also 6'5" and smart.

That said, Kaleena was a key the past 4 years, because she drew the defense. Can Kiah shoot 40% and Moriah 50% if Kaleena is not on the floor? I'm not sure. I think both Morgan and Stewie can improve their 3-point shooting from last season. Both shot below their career norms. I know that Stewie want to improve her shooting next season.

I don't see Morgan playing the 3 in that lineup. I see her at the 4 and Stewie at the 3.

I also think that at least Lou and Napheesa will compete hard for PT. Lou is a scoring machine, and Napheesa does everything well. No team in the country will have a bench player who can match up with them. Few teams will have starters who can match up.

Unlike some others, I don't see Morgan losing her starting job. She'll be an AA next year. I also think that Kia keeps hers.

Reaction Score
Last year, before the season began, I caught a lot of flack right here on the Boneyard, for posting: "Morgan Tuck is too good to not start."

So she started 38 or 39 games, all victories and an NC.

I will now double down, so to speak. For the upcoming season, I believe that:

"Katy Lou Samuelson is too good to not start" (at least 35 games);)
That's a truly bold prediction given the talent level on this team. KLS will have to make strides on defense to make this happen.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Do you honestly think Kia and Tuck don't have their ticket punched? There's really only one spot up for grabs. There are no better alternatives to Tuck and Kia.
You have to factor in the position to be played So yes Butler maybe a better alternative at Center than Morgan or Stewie because she is 6'5" with bulk. Likewise KLS maybe a better alternative at the SF than Morgan or Stewie because she stretches the defense and give the post isolation players more room/time to operate in the lane. The Pheenom might be the best alternative at the SF because she is the can defend the perimeter best. Lots of options and who starts is sort of a red herring IMO because I just don't see any competitive 4th quarters for UCONN next season. Chong and Gabby also seem to be getting little to no consideration of starting.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
MilfordHusky said, "I don't see Morgan playing the 3 in that lineup. I see her at the 4 and Stewie at the 3."

Yup. Plus, it'll give Stewie good practice for the pros. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What you said about Natalie Butler isn't anything new. Many of the Boneyarders have posted similar thoughts. As for the second best Husky it's Moriah, who even Breanna admitted should have been the MOP of the Final Four.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I want to build slightly on a point made by another poster in a different thread a few days ago. Forgive me, I don't remember who.

But wouldn't it be fun to come out of a timeout with a lineup of Butler, Stewart, Tuck, Samuelson, and Nurse? No starter below 6'! Can you imagine being a typical 2-guard on the opposing team, say 5'8" or 5'9", and have to guard a player SIX INCHES taller?

Normally I'm not into humiliating opponents, but wouldn't be fun to freak them out a little? Just for a while . . .

Reaction Score
You have to factor in the position to be played So yes Butler maybe a better alternative at Center than Morgan or Stewie because she is 6'5" with bulk. Likewise KLS maybe a better alternative at the SF than Morgan or Stewie because she stretches the defense and give the post isolation players more room/time to operate in the lane. The Pheenom might be the best alternative at the SF because she is the can defend the perimeter best. Lots of options and who starts is sort of a red herring IMO because I just don't see any competitive 4th quarters for UCONN next season. Chong and Gabby also seem to be getting little to no consideration of starting.

You're not suggesting a starting of

Butler, Stewie, KLS, Kiah and MoJeff are you? Didn't we show last year this lineup of Stewie and Tuck works? So we're going to go backwards and start more youth just because of "height and weight?"

For anyone that thinks that Tuck won't start - just a reminder that Maya wasn't a starter to start with.

IMO I agree with others-- there is one starting position to be had.

Reaction Score
We are talking about players...... What about the offense Geno is running? Is it Dolsonesque or is it a hybrid of last year?

If i were betting, I would think she starts, but it is not a huge deal she will get plenty of minutes

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
What you said about Natalie Butler isn't anything new. Many of the Boneyarders have posted similar thoughts. As for the second best Husky it's Moriah, who even Breanna admitted should have been the MOP of the Final Four.

Thanks for that brilliant and extended analysis. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I agree with David, though I value Cat's opinion. I think Natalie gives us defense and rebounding. Just as teams had difficulty scoring against our big unit that included Kiah the past 2 years, I think that is our best defensive lineup. As noted, Natalie has a year in the Big East and a year at UConn under her belt. She's also 6'5" and smart.

That said, Kaleena was a key the past 4 years, because she drew the defense. Can Kiah shoot 40% and Moriah 50% if Kaleena is not on the floor? I'm not sure. I think both Morgan and Stewie can improve their 3-point shooting from last season. Both shot below their career norms. I know that Stewie want to improve her shooting next season.

I don't see Morgan playing the 3 in that lineup. I see her at the 4 and Stewie at the 3.

I also think that at least Lou and Napheesa will compete hard for PT. Lou is a scoring machine, and Napheesa does everything well. No team in the country will have a bench player who can match up with them. Few teams will have starters who can match up.

Unlike some others, I don't see Morgan losing her starting job. She'll be an AA next year. I also think that Kia keeps hers.

I agree, there isn't any way that Morgan and Kia don't start next year. UCONN has a lot of talent on the bench that would start for most teams in the country.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
That's a truly bold prediction given the talent level on this team. KLS will have to make strides on defense to make this happen.

Is it possible that some Boneyarders are underestimating Lou's defensive skills? How bad can she be? Especially after a couple months chasing Stewie in practice, not to mention having Geno, CD and Marisa riding her ass.

There is also a "convenience factor" to consider. Lou replaces KLM and Natalie replaces Kiah -- a seamless transition.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Is it possible that some Boneyarders are underestimating Lou's defensive skills? How bad can she be? Especially after a couple months chasing Stewie in practice, not to mention having Geno, CD and Marisa riding her ass.

There is also a "convenience factor" to consider. Lou replaces KLM and Natalie replaces Kiah -- a seamless transition.
Oh, I think Geno and CD can do better at breaking down Lou, than assigning her to guard Stewart - I foresee her being assigned Moriah to chase around the court!!!

'Come on Lou - keep her in front of you! Again! Again! Sheesh, maybe we should just put a chair on the court and see if you can guard that! Again!'

Not saying they are cruel or anything!:eek::cool:

Reaction Score
I just watched the 2015 NCAA tournament game versus Imani Stafford (6'7") and Texas, a tough matchup for Uconn's frontcourt. Kiah Stokes came in blocked shots, rebounded, set screens and defended Stafford, freeing Stewart up somewhat and a relatively close game broke wide open. I'm not saying the 6'5" Butler will or won't start, but it seems likely she will play 20 to 25 minutes per game bringing defense, rebounding and at least some scoring to the games.

Reaction Score
I just watched the 2015 NCAA tournament game versus Imani Stafford (6'7") and Texas, a tough matchup for Uconn's frontcourt. Kiah Stokes came in blocked shots, rebounded, set screens and defended Stafford, freeing Stewart up somewhat and a relatively close game broke wide open. I'm not saying the 6'5" Butler will or won't start, but it seems likely she will play 20 to 25 minutes per game bringing defense, rebounding and at least some scoring to the games.

I forgot to mention Texas as well. Nice call. And while agree with you to an extent (in addition I think NB starts)- I don't think Butler sees an average of 25 minutes. I think there will be games we'll hear from our coach "that she is the worst center in America" not to mention many blowouts so he wants to see other lineups etc.

And what about the games vs Dayton and South Carolina? How many minutes was Stokes needed? Also- as for being "free" - Stewie was still free against both without Stokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SemogNayr

Top Bottom