Natalie Butler, The forgotten woman | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Natalie Butler, The forgotten woman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've been reading several of the preseason team reviews (the Sporting News, as far as I know, is the only one that doesn't have UCONN as the preseason number one). However, none of the three written reviews that I've seen have mentioned Butler at all. If she's as good as I think she's going to be, that's a big wild card that most of the "experts" are completely ignoring. Hope she takes that as motivation.
Coming to you in a headline soon from some of these same publications you will see. Who Knew About The Butler? And of course the obligatory ...The Butler Did It! :D

Reaction Score
I love reading the BY, especially during the off season. However, I cannot understand how some people speculate that KLS or Collier will start this year, especially in the beginning. They have not played a single minute of college ball. And since Geno believes in defense first (reference Saniya ), how does anyone know how either one will play defense at UCONN's level such that he would start KLS or Collier?
Nurse started the last 37 games last year as a freshmen.Collier has a motor just like Maya and Swin and is solid defensively.Imo Lou is a better all-around player than KML was her freshmen year.This team should be better than last year!Right now Butler will start but IMO the 2 frosh can also.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I love reading the BY, especially during the off season. However, I cannot understand how some people speculate that KLS or Collier will start this year, especially in the beginning. They have not played a single minute of college ball.

I'm not sure if this is reaction to my post but since it follows mine I'm assuming it is. Just want to point out that I'm not making assumptions as to who will start but simply suggesting that the best offensive lineup will, imo, include one of KLS or NC rather than NB.

As for offense vs defense, if you recall last year it didn't take long for the coaching staff to realize the team was better off with Tuck in the starting lineup instead of Stokes. I suppose it's possible that someone like KLS will have enough defensive issues early that they won't want her to start, but it should also be noted that the starter being replaced (KML) was not known for her defensive prowess either.

Reaction Score
FWIW KML scored 25 pts in her second game as a freshman and 25pts in her third game as a freshman (vs then #3 Stanford). She obviously got a lot of playing time at the start of her UConn career even though I doubt her defense, as a freshman, was "up to UConn standards" I do acknowledge that Geno probably has more choices for his 5th starter now then he did in the 2011-12 season. I bring it up only as an example and that dismissing KLS entirely, as the possible 5th starter, is a little premature.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The thing people tend to forget is that Maya who was perhaps the most college ready player to every arrive at Uconn did not start a game until the injury to Greene, left the team short handed. Kalana started the first 8 games, Moore the last 30. If you go back to DT - same story.
It is rare for Freshman to start if there is a viable alternative - it relieves some of the pressure on them while they learn the system. While Butler has not been on the court, she cannot be considered a new-comer, so I tend to think she is a more likely option, though I am not sure she will play more minutes than one or two of the freshman.

On Stewart scoring - she played 117 fewer minutes as a junior than she did as a sophomore - one fewer game, but 3+ fewer games in terms of minutes played - Moriah played 66 minutes less.

Edit:
RVWsleep - Interesting you bring up KML who had a very good year as a scorer as a freshman - but she only start a single game her freshman year out of 38 possibles. Sort of making the opposite point of what I think you were suggesting.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The thing people tend to forget is that Maya who was perhaps the most college ready player to every arrive at Uconn did not start a game until the injury to Greene, left the team short handed. Kalana started the first 8 games, Moore the last 30. If you go back to DT - same story.
It is rare for Freshman to start if there is a viable alternative - it relieves some of the pressure on them while they learn the system. While Butler has not been on the court, she cannot be considered a new-comer, so I tend to think she is a more likely option, though I am not sure she will play more minutes than one or two of the freshman.

On Stewart scoring - she played 117 fewer minutes as a junior than she did as a sophomore - one fewer game, but 3+ fewer games in terms of minutes played - Moriah played 66 minutes less.

Edit:
RVWsleep - Interesting you bring up KML who had a very good year as a scorer as a freshman - but she only start a single game her freshman year out of 38 possibles. Sort of making the opposite point of what I think you were suggesting.

I just looked that up.. Probably should have worded it differently and used starter minutes instead of starter. If form holds true then it will be either Butler or Williams as the 5th starter.

Reaction Score
I just looked that up.. Probably should have worded it differently and used starter minutes instead of starter. If form holds true then it will be either Butler or Williams as the 5th starter.
I agree one of the two will start. I think a deciding factor will be who would be most valuable coming off the bench possibly bringing new energy and skills to the game.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I agree one of the two will start. I think a deciding factor will be who would be most valuable coming off the bench possibly bringing new energy and skills to the game.

I hope she gets 20 minutes a game this year but I'd be stunned if Gabby starts for various reasons.

Reaction Score
The rest of the nation has no idea, but I've been waiting a long time for Natalie to "Come out and play."
MV5BMjEzNjIwMTcwNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTQ1ODIxOQ@@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I assume you saw in the news recently that the cast of this film had a reunion? [The Warriors]

I saw this when it came out and was horrified that such a world could exist.

Reaction Score
The premise of bringing logic and reason to the discussion has already been undermined by someone but...... Any discussion about how many minutes Maya or Diana or anyone else got as a freshman is almost irrelevant when talking about Butler. She is not a first year player. From the age and physical side she is a JUNIOR. A sophomore from games played, but remember she has been practicing with the team for a full year, she has been keeping in shape within the UConn regimen, so I would be very surprised if she doe not fill the slot as the 5th starter. Said often though, nice problem for Geno, Gabby, Saniya, KLS, Collier, Boykin, Ekmark... who comes off the bench, when, replacing who (whom?) Fans could have the most fun in years predicting who plays and when.

Reaction Score
If you do a quick search of the Boneyard you will find the word forgotten associated with every current players except Stewie & MoJefferson. Go back a few season an the word forgotten was used in relation to MoJefferson-because someone posted that Chong would/should soon replace MoJeff as the starting PG. The title of one thread was "Boykin the forgotten recruit"
Sadie Edwards was also "almost" the forgotten recruit as was KLS-this was clearly in jest. Time to retire the adjective "forgotten" as it relates to players on a UCONN roster IMO. Try using the phrase "less talked about" instead. Seriously Butler is a forgotten woman! Already?

Coco- Haha, that was my post and my thoughts at the time were, in light of all the nonstop chatter and excitement over Katie Lou and Napheesa, that there were other kids coming up (and on the roster now) who deserved some attention. too. As I saw it, De'Janae wasn't being talked about less, she was being completely ignored. And that pissed me off.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco- Haha, that was my post and my thoughts at the time were, in light of all the nonstop chatter and excitement over Katie Lou and Napheesa, that there were other kids coming up (and on the roster now) who deserved some attention. too. As I saw it, De'Janae wasn't being talked about less, she was being completely ignored. And that pissed me off.
I hear you, but come on this is UCONN we are talking about! The UCONN players don't care about our chatter. They let thier play do the talking and De'Janae will be speaking volumes soon.

Reaction Score
The premise of bringing logic and reason to the discussion has already been undermined by someone but. Any discussion about how many minutes Maya or Diana or anyone else got as a freshman is almost irrelevant when talking about Butler. She is not a first year player. From the age and physical side she is a JUNIOR. A sophomore from games played, but remember she has been practicing with the team for a full year, she has been keeping in shape within the UConn regimen, so I would be very surprised if she doe not fill the slot as the 5th starter. Said often though, nice problem for Geno, Gabby, Saniya, KLS, Collier, Boykin, Ekmark... who comes off the bench, when, replacing who (whom?) Fans could have the most fun in years predicting who plays and when.

Again, it all depends upon which way Geno chooses to go: up-tempo (no Butler) or half-court (Butler). When Geno had Stef, he used a center-oriented system; without a real center (who could score), he went last year to a transition game. The decision about this year will depend upon how Geno plans to use the talent he has. That's his genius. My guess is that sometimes Butler will start, sometimes not. If Lou is as terrific as I think she'll be, Butler will get less playing time. The question of whether, as a matter of principle, freshmen should start (before "paying their dues") is silly. If you can play, you will play. As for whether we "remember" Butler or not, she hasn't done anything at UConn yet. Maybe after this season we can say: the Butler did it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Again, it all depends upon which way Geno chooses to go: up-tempo (no Butler) or half-court (Butler). When Geno had Stef, he used a center-oriented system; without a real center (who could score), he went last year to a transition game. The decision about this year will depend upon how Geno plans to use the talent he has. That's his genius. My guess is that sometimes Butler will start, sometimes not. If Lou is as terrific as I think she'll be, Butler will get less playing time. The question of whether, as a matter of principle, freshmen should start (before "paying their dues") is silly. If you can play, you will play. As for whether we "remember" Butler or not, she hasn't done anything at UConn yet. Maybe after this season we can say: the Butler did it.
Once a starting lineeup has been established (meaning successful) Geno does not change starters. The question of Freshmen starters has nothing to do with "paying dues", it has everything to do with the significant jump a Freshmen has to make from HS basketball to UCONN level starter & and a second consideration being the strength of the UCONN roster.

Reaction Score
Has anyone read or heard how Geno intends to use Gabby this season, forward or guard? I hate even thinking of Mo & Breanna graduating, but Geno also has to start playing some of next year's combinations this year for experience.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Has anyone read or heard how Geno intends to use Gabby this season, forward or guard? I hate even thinking of Mo & Breanna graduating, but Geno also has to start playing some of next year's combinations this year for experience.
Mid summer Gabby was working on shooting, coming of screens & ball handling- all of which suggest being a wing/guard. The official roster listed her at G exclusively. With Butler & Boykin on the roster this year I don't see a need for Gabby to play F and primarily be post up like she did last year. Playing for "next year" is a good way to get in trouble IMO.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Mid summer Gabby was working on shooting, coming of screens & ball handling- all of which suggest being a wing/guard. The official roster listed her at G exclusively. With Butler & Boykin on the roster this year I don't see a need for Gabby to play F and primarily be post up like she did last year. Playing for "next year" is a good way to get in trouble IMO.

However, Gabby's experience playing in the post area was valuable experience. If she plays the 2 or 3, she has the ability to post up a guard down low. That could be deadly for our opponents, especially with Gabby's verticle leaping ability.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
However, Gabby's experience playing in the post area was valuable experience. If she plays the 2 or 3, she has the ability to post up a guard down low. That could be deadly for our opponents, especially with Gabby's verticle leaping ability.

Guards who go down low against UConn will be few and far between. There are very few "bigs" who have shots that can draw our bigs out of the "kill zone".

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree completely. That is why I said not primarily in the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom