Natalie Butler [merged thread] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Natalie Butler [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think alot of people here need to temper their expectations a little bit. Butler is not the offensive player that Dolson is and probably will never be. She isn't as good a passer, doesn't have as much range, and is not as polished a finisher as Dolson and honestly that is OK. Butler is a great fundamental player that is open to coaching and does all the little things right. She is a good screener, rebounder, finisher in the paint, and shot blocker and can without a doubt help the Huskies if she decides to come to UConn. Lets just not expect the second coming of Dolson because she is not that talented a player.

2009 Dolson wasn't the 2014 Dolson, I will take my chances with Butler, and see how the coaching staff can develop her

Reaction Score
And we are so uber talented at the other slots that there would not be so much pressure on her to shoulder the whole burden

Reaction Score
Seriously? Not a single one of UCONN's games was close with the exception of Baylor. Stef had MANY games this season where she didn't get into double figure scoring. After all, Stef only averaged 12.4 ppg. I understand trying to temper expectations, but I don't get trying to dampen enthusiasm. As a freshman, Stef was often lost on the court and when UCONN played Baylor, she got into foul trouble so quick that Geno ended up putting Buck on Griner.

It wasn't until Stef realized that she needed to dedicate herself to fitness and conditioning that her rise in the quality of her games improved. As Cat pointed out, and Milford as well, Stef made great progress from her freshman to sophomore year, and continued to get better every year there after. This kid would have essentially 5 years in college and 4 at UCONN, playing her final 3 after sitting out her first should she decide to transfer here.

In Natalie's 3rd game ever, against top 10 Cal, she had 16 pts/15 rebounds. Pretty ridiculous numbers for a freshman against a top 10 team. A few weeks later, against then #10 PSU, she had 12/9. In her 2 games against Depaul, she had 15/13 and 8/11. In her 2 games against SJU, she had 8/14 and 12/11. Those were the top 2 teams in the Big East. So your insinuation that she didn't perform well (or couldn't perform well) against good competition is simply wrong.

The fact that the kid has been called an incredibly hard worker and the fact that Geno likes her game enough to consider her should be enough for you. Stokes certainly hasn't blown the doors off the stats sheets in her first 3 years, but is there any doubt she's going to be a force to be reckoned with next year?
\
I am not saying she is not a good player I am saying that she is not as good as Dolson thats all.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
\
I am not saying she is not a good player I am saying that she is not as good as Dolson thats all.
Natalie was apparently not very good in 10th grade. She's been improving very rapidly. It's hard to say how good she can become, especially at UConn. It seems as if she could be comparable to Stef in shot blocking and rebounding after 4 years on campus. Stef's shooting and passing are exceptional. I wouldn't expect Natalie to be that good at all. If it came to pass, it woud be a huge bonus. As others have noted, she will be surrounded by considerable talent and brings much needed height. Maybe her game will be more similar to Kiah's. Even if Natalie never progresses to beyond a "poor man's version" of Stef, she would still be a solid player and contributor. Plus she sounds like a great kid. I hope we are fortunate enough to get her.

Reaction Score
Seriously? Not a single one of UCONN's games was close with the exception of Baylor. Stef had MANY games this season where she didn't get into double figure scoring. After all, Stef only averaged 12.4 ppg. I understand trying to temper expectations, but I don't get trying to dampen enthusiasm. As a freshman, Stef was often lost on the court and when UCONN played Baylor, she got into foul trouble so quick that Geno ended up putting Buck on Griner.

It wasn't until Stef realized that she needed to dedicate herself to fitness and conditioning that her rise in the quality of her games improved. As Cat pointed out, and Milford as well, Stef made great progress from her freshman to sophomore year, and continued to get better every year there after. This kid would have essentially 5 years in college and 4 at UCONN, playing her final 3 after sitting out her first should she decide to transfer here.

In Natalie's 3rd game ever, against top 10 Cal, she had 16 pts/15 rebounds. Pretty ridiculous numbers for a freshman against a top 10 team. A few weeks later, against then #10 PSU, she had 12/9. In her 2 games against Depaul, she had 15/13 and 8/11. In her 2 games against SJU, she had 8/14 and 12/11. Those were the top 2 teams in the Big East. So your insinuation that she didn't perform well (or couldn't perform well) against good competition is simply wrong.

The fact that the kid has been called an incredibly hard worker and the fact that Geno likes her game enough to consider her should be enough for you. Stokes certainly hasn't blown the doors off the stats sheets in her first 3 years, but is there any doubt she's going to be a force to be reckoned with next year?

ERIC: you're always good, but this is one of your best. Very well said from top to bottom, and I appreciated the additional game stats on this young woman. Would add to your second paragraph this thought: adding to those four years at UCONN, she could probably be on campus here is a very few weeks.

Reaction Score
Just what the Doctor ordered :) a 6'5 player to play Center on the team for Stewie's senior year. While she is probably not as good as Dolson at this point, she seems a better rebounder and considering she'll have a year to practice with Kiah, Stewie, Tuck and the rest, it will help the chemistry when she will get to paly. She seems like a hard working kid who wants to get the most of her abilities and that is exactly what UConn is typically looking for (aside than talent). If she does decide to come to UConn, it will be a great get IMO.

DTBT: goes without saying (which is likely why you didn't say it), but I'll say it: not only will practicing WITH our big kids help the chemistry, but going AGAINST them will certainly help her develop her game and get prepared to play against ANYbody out there when her time comes for games. Not many places where she'd get that sort of opportunity. Plus our academics.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
So c'mon...let's go! Show up and start watching the workouts. Bulk up, baby!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
First of all you can't compare Butler to Stef. A few years ago fans were comparing Stef to Tina. That wasn't fair either. Let me say this. Butler has proven what she can do. Rebounds and some scoring on a losing team. How much better can she be playing a year off against UConn then step on the floor of a National Championship team. You read the article above from her hometown newpaper in WVVfan1's post. She wants it. She has the want and Geno can fill that want. Surround her with Stewart Mojeff and Tuck and have Geno coach her and let me tell you, he will make her a AA. He did with Stef. Remember back when Stef came and fans said she was too slow and no moves etc. Well look at how much she improved in one year, two years, three years. She was an AA and where was she ranked in HS polls? Natalie has the want to and I believe she will come to UConn and I believe she will be a big time player with a couple of NC's

Reaction Score
Natalie was apparently not very good in 10th grade. She's been improving very rapidly. It's hard to say how good she can become, especially at UConn. It seems as if she could be comparable to Stef in shot blocking and rebounding after 4 years on campus. Stef's shooting and passing are exceptional. I wouldn't expect Natalie to be that good at all. If it came to pass, it woud be a huge bonus. As others have noted, she will be surrounded by considerable talent and brings much needed height. Maybe her game will be more similar to Kiah's. Even if Natalie never progresses to beyond a "poor man's version" of Stef, she would still be a solid player and contributor. Plus she sounds like a great kid. I hope we are fortunate enough to get her.

And this is exactly what I said in my post earlier!

Reaction Score
that is a major NCAA violation if the coach talks to a student/athlete from another school

No it is not - if she has permission from the school, which she obviously had. BUT that is completely different from having a release, which is what was unclear originally. I responded to your statement saying "of course she has her release", since there was no "of course" about it at that point. As I said previously, a number of players in recent years have visited schools without having a release - and there were no NCAA violations.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I think alot of people here need to temper their expectations a little bit. Butler is not the offensive player that Dolson is and probably will never be. She isn't as good a passer, doesn't have as much range, and is not as polished a finisher as Dolson and honestly that is OK. Butler is a great fundamental player that is open to coaching and does all the little things right. She is a good screener, rebounder, finisher in the paint, and shot blocker and can without a doubt help the Huskies if she decides to come to UConn. Lets just not expect the second coming of Dolson because she is not that talented a player.
I understand what you are trying to say, Sawx. And if you want to temper your expectations, more power to you.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to tell other posters how to feel about this. Some folks always see the best in situations. Why does that bother you?

Cat said it well. I don't see a lot of people going over the top crazy over this. Discussions have been reasonable.

I'm curious how much you have seen her play since you seem to know details about her game.

I will say that 14 ppg and 13 rpg are fantastic for any division I player. And she had a better year than Dolson did her freshman year.

Reaction Score
OT!!!!!!!! She went to the same HS as Uconn's former QB Mike Nebrich, now at Fordham!!!:)

Reaction Score
No it is not - if she has permission from the school, which she obviously had. BUT that is completely different from having a release, which is what was unclear originally. I responded to your statement saying "of course she has her release", since there was no "of course" about it at that point. As I said previously, a number of players in recent years have visited schools without having a release - and there were no NCAA violations.

http://www.goutsa.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205405306

so written permission is not a release ?

Reaction Score
why was she ranked only #140 in the 13 class?
I'm not sure. It sounds like she is a hard working kid with a great work ethic and that would kinda remind some folks here of one Stef Dolson. Stef wasn't thought of that highly before coming here and she developed into an All American. The worst case scenerio she could be a nice backup but with the numbers she had in her freshman year, I'm inclined to think she'd more likely be a nice contributor. Lets hope that it works out on both sides and she decides to become a Huskie. I would still be looking at getting that center that we've been recruiting for 2015 but it sure would be nice to have someone locked in for the next few years.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The difference being that Dolson played against toughest teams in the country with all the pressure of winning at UConn on her while Butler played against significantly less talented teams with virtually no pressure.
Yeah - but Dolson also played her freshman year on a team led by Maya Moore and a few other not too shabby players ... who exactly did Georgetown have last year?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Fair enough, but you know this how? Honestly, on a really bad team, her freshman numbers were much better than Stef's freshman numbers. I totally agree - she is not as good as Stef as a senior. But none of us watched all 35 or so games Natalie played in this year, so it seems like it would be hard to tell how "good" she was compared to Stef as a freshman.

Reaction Score
There was some remarks about her not being another Stef because she wasn't the offensive player, didn't have the passing skills that Stef had. Well, I'm not going to say that players like Stef grow on trees but Stef, herself, wasn't nearly as good a passer or scorer in her freshman year at UConn as she developed into. If this kid comes here (hopefully) she will have the benefit of great coaching and the opportunity to play against some overtly talented players in practice that should help her develop herself. She definitely sounds like a girl who has a willingness to really work hard (ala Dolson) to become the best she can be and that sounds pretty exciting to me. Hope she becomes a Huskie!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The only two things that Stef Dolson and Natalie Butler have in common is that both are 6'5 and both are white (just like Rigby, remember her -- a transfer TO UConn?).

The Uconn factor has not yet been established (but wouldn't that be nice!). Beyond those two physical characteristics, one is a graduating senior with two NC rings and a unique connection with President Obama and the other is a "rising sophomore" who was recruited by Brown, coached by Lewis, and may want to see a steady hand at the coaching helm for the rest of her college career. We know nothing of Natalie's dance moves.

Thus, the comparison (Stef v. Natalie) is inevitable but not really fair to either of them. Useful only to stimulate message board discussion, ultimately inconclusive.

Somebody else asked how Geno "missed" Butler. He didn't.

In high school, her development (then!) did not justify even a first look, let alone a UConn scholarship offer. Now that she has vastly exceeded all expectations as a Div I wcbb player (at 6'5" yet), I believe that Geno will consider making her a difficult-to-refuse offer.

To paraphrase Joe Adco ck (old MLB player, describing the impossibility of sneaking a cute pitch past Hank Aaron):

"Trying to slip a recruit past Geno is like trying to slip a sunrise past a rooster."

And, yes, I like our chances with Ms Butler.

Reaction Score
I understand what you are trying to say, Sawx. And if you want to temper your expectations, more power to you.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to tell other posters how to feel about this. Some folks always see the best in situations. Why does that bother you?

Cat said it well. I don't see a lot of people going over the top crazy over this. Discussions have been reasonable.

I'm curious how much you have seen her play since you seem to know details about her game.

I will say that 14 ppg and 13 rpg are fantastic for any division I player. And she had a better year than Dolson did her freshman year.
I couldn't agree more with everything that you've said. We may never get her but if we want her and she agrees, she can't be anything but an asset. That old expression that you can't "teach big" is so true and her numbers suggest that she's got some talent along with a great work ethic that sounds like a winner to me.

Reaction Score
http://www.goutsa.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205405306

so written permission is not a release ?

Correct. As I said in my other two posts, a school can give a player written permission to talk to other schools without giving a release. As I also said, there have been recent situations where that was the case. In one case, St. Joseph's coach Phil Martelli gave one of his players permission to talk to schools about transferring and then screwed him by refusing to grant a release.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Maybe not a good idea to put too much weight on the wording of a tweet. Sounds like she is thinking about transferring ...to UConn. She wouldn't have visited if UConn weren't granted permission to contact.

Coaching change at G'town may be part of the reason.
If there is a coaching change- do they still have to sit out the year?

Reaction Score
How does it work with transfers? Would she be able to work out and practice with the team and coaches during her year off?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If there is a coaching change- do they still have to sit out the year?
Yes - unless there is some special circumstance that the NCAA over-rules (see PSU football sanctions) - coaching changes mean nothing in terms of the transfer rules.
How does it work with transfers? Would she be able to work out and practice with the team and coaches during her year off?
A transfer cannot play in games and I don't believe is allowed to travel with the team, but can practice. With a release they are allowed to be on scholarship for the year, without a released they have to pay their own way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom