Natalie Butler [merged thread] | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Natalie Butler [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes - unless there is some special circumstance that the NCAA over-rules (see PSU football sanctions) - coaching changes mean nothing in terms of the transfer rules.

A transfer cannot play in games and I don't believe is allowed to travel with the team, but can practice. With a release they are allowed to be on scholarship for the year, without a released they have to pay their own way.

1. Occasionally the NCAA has allowed a player to play immediately when there have been major problems that led to the coaching change. For example, several of the players who played under Mike Rice at Rutgers did not have to sit out at their new school. That probably won't happen here - particularly since for the 2015-16 season the NCAA is apparently altering the rule that allows hardship waivers - but it is an outside possibility.

2. You are correct that a redshirt player cannot travel with the team - although she can arrange her own travel and pay her own way if she wants to go to an away game.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
\
I am not saying she is not a good player I am saying that she is not as good as Dolson thats all.
I spoke to people that had coached Stef as a high schooler and they told me she wasn't an impact player and that she would only be a very good role player in college. Stef also had nominal competition in high school while Natalie has the first year of college under her belt already so she would be more prepared for the rigors of college. And remember, we didn't really have an inkling Stef would be the best center in the country until some time in her sophomore year. In addition, Natalie would be able to practice with the Huskies for a year before actually playing.

The Seton Hall coach said she has upside. Since he's actually coached against her, I'll take his word for it. If she goes elsewhere, I'll wish her luck but, man, I'd love to see her in a UConn uni.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Here you go, draw your own conclusion.

Nice! Thanks!

She cleans the glass, moves without the ball, and can shoot with the left. I think she can play. :)

Reaction Score
I think alot of people here need to temper their expectations a little bit. Butler is not the offensive player that Dolson is and probably will never be. She isn't as good a passer, doesn't have as much range, and is not as polished a finisher as Dolson and honestly that is OK. Butler is a great fundamental player that is open to coaching and does all the little things right. She is a good screener, rebounder, finisher in the paint, and shot blocker and can without a doubt help the Huskies if she decides to come to UConn. Lets just not expect the second coming of Dolson because she is not that talented a player.
Why? Dolson wasn't all that stuff as a freshman.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Nice! Thanks!

She cleans the glass, moves without the ball, and can shoot with the left. I think she can play. :)
And lifts her knees when running down the court. She is raw but there is a lot there to work with.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Yes - unless there is some special circumstance that the NCAA over-rules (see PSU football sanctions) - coaching changes mean nothing in terms of the transfer rules.

A transfer cannot play in games and I don't believe is allowed to travel with the team, but can practice. With a release they are allowed to be on scholarship for the year, without a released they have to pay their own way.
Thks UC!

Reaction Score
I think alot of people here need to temper their expectations a little bit. Butler is not the offensive player that Dolson is and probably will never be. She isn't as good a passer, doesn't have as much range, and is not as polished a finisher as Dolson and honestly that is OK. Butler is a great fundamental player that is open to coaching and does all the little things right. She is a good screener, rebounder, finisher in the paint, and shot blocker and can without a doubt help the Huskies if she decides to come to UConn. Lets just not expect the second coming of Dolson because she is not that talented a player.
Wow! Major buzzkill...

Reaction Score
fair question: so why is this possible transfer not as controversial as Diamond? both are unhappy and want change. seems funny to me that all is "normal" if a 6"5" center wants to play for UCONN. :)

for the record, I see nothing wrong with Butler going to UCONN or any other school. Just pointing at the obvious.

Reaction Score
Here is a video of her playing defense agains Xavier. She looks a little lost at times. Doesn't show any Georgetown offensive plays.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
fair question: so why is this possible transfer not as controversial as Diamond? both are unhappy and want change. seems funny to me that all is "normal" if a 6"5" center wants to play for UCONN. :)

for the record, I see nothing wrong with Butler going to UCONN or any other school. Just pointing at the obvious.
She wasn't National Freshman of the Year, she didn't bring four other top recruits with her, there are actually obvious factors (coaching changes) that make her transfer a bit less baffling. Diamond's transfer has been extremely controversial because it seemingly came out of nowhere.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
She wasn't National Freshman of the Year, she didn't bring four other top recruits with her, there are actually obvious factors (coaching changes) that make her transfer a bit less baffling. Diamond's transfer has been extremely controversial because it seemingly came out of nowhere.

Clearly, Natalie is considering a transfer to UConn. The ink was hardly dry on her release from Georgetown when she showed up in Storrs. The is not a guarantee that she will become a Husky, but it's a positive sign and gives us hope.

DeShields is an exceptional talent and much has been written about how and why she went to UNC. Still more has been written about why she left and where she may go. Diamond herself stated recently that she had not yet contacted any other schools and that comments about any "done deal" were untrue. I take her at her word.

I also don't rule out the possibility of her transferring to UConn. Geno would be wise to determine what motivated her to leave UNC and foolish to not give her a fair hearing. Exactly the approach he will likely take with Ms Butler.

Either or both would be sternly advised of two things: (1) Their next stop (after transfer) is surely their last one, so make a thoughtful choice; and (2) if they come to Storrs, they are subject to the rigorous UConn way of doing things -- plus the opportunities for development and championships.

With Geno calling the shots, I gotta like our chances. With both Diamond and Natalie.

Reaction Score
The only two things that Stef Dolson and Natalie Butler have in common is that both are 6'5 and both are white (just like Rigby, remember her -- a transfer TO UConn?).

The Uconn factor has not yet been established (but wouldn't that be nice!). Beyond those two physical characteristics, one is a graduating senior with two NC rings and a unique connection with President Obama and the other is a "rising sophomore" who was recruited by Brown, coached by Lewis, and may want to see a steady hand at the coaching helm for the rest of her college career. We know nothing of Natalie's dance moves.

Thus, the comparison (Stef v. Natalie) is inevitable but not really fair to either of them. Useful only to stimulate message board discussion, ultimately inconclusive.

Somebody else asked how Geno "missed" Butler. He didn't.

In high school, her development (then!) did not justify even a first look, let alone a UConn scholarship offer. Now that she has vastly exceeded all expectations as a Div I wcbb player (at 6'5" yet), I believe that Geno will consider making her a difficult-to-refuse offer.

To paraphrase Joe Adco ck (old MLB player, describing the impossibility of sneaking a cute pitch past Hank Aaron):

"Trying to slip a recruit past Geno is like trying to slip a sunrise past a rooster."

And, yes, I like our chances with Ms Butler.

KIB: Adcock had a pretty good sight line on teammate "Hammerin' Hank" at the plate, so he knew whereof he spoke. And Joe could hammer it about as far as Henry could. Those two were two of the very few who homered into CF bleachers at the old Polo Grounds...not sure they were team mates at the time. Joe could pick it at first base....superb on defense as you likely recall. In any event, a clever make-over of that old line....got a chuckle here.

And if Butler commits as you seem to think, there'll be more than a chuckle.....you'll probably hear my whoop wherever you are....think she would be a HUGE addition for us. In fact, I think it means we would be in just terrific position to compete for more banners. I also think it makes great sense for Butler to come here, trying to look at it thru her eyes, based on the very little bit I've read about her thus far.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

Because the recent history involving coaches a Georgetown makes the situation leading to a potential transfer far, far less surprising.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think the LV fan has a point. No one is questioning Natalie's morals or ethics here and no one has reached a conclusion about Natalie's willingness to work hard or to share the ball or passed judgement on her motives for transferring. And we're working with far less info about the Why for Natalie.

Should Diamond ever end up in a UConn uniform, people would conveniently develop amnesia regarding all the harsh things said about her here.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Here is a video of her playing defense agains Xavier. She looks a little lost at times. Doesn't show any Georgetown offensive plays.

In fairness, it's an Xavier video and only shows their successful offensive series.

I didn't see what you saw on defense, especially considering Natalie came out to the 3-pt line repeatedly when another Hoya lost their assigned player. I like that determination and court awareness. She boxes out very consistently in the video, and is usually in a good position for a rebound.

Reaction Score
I think the LV fan has a point. No one is questioning Natalie's morals or ethics here and no one has reached a conclusion about Natalie's willingness to work hard or to share the ball or passed judgement on her motives for transferring. And we're working with far less info about the Why for Natalie.

Should Diamond ever end up in a UConn uniform, people would conveniently develop amnesia regarding all the harsh things said about her here.

Arguably, Diamond has had a difficult time from many here- perhaps overkill, you might say. But the comparison bet her and Butler doesn't make a lot of sense, beyond the obvious. At some level (given what we read here about them) both have not stated precisely why they wanted out. In the ase of Butler it is alleged that it has to do with the unstable coaching situation; but here could be others. This is an acceptable expl for many. People are reacting to Diamond's because of the Fab5- a player openly recruiting others to join her in a class and making it a media event (of course players have recruited friends, etc. KLS is being actively recruited to ND by Reimer-- I have seen tweets). No one is saying, I don't think, that Diamond cannot leave UNC, but until we have an expl a cloud will hang, and people will unfortunately fill in the dots. This includes rumors that she wants to go to TN with her friend. Personally, I harbor some reservations. At the same time I respect her for the willingness to stepdown and out of the fame that she has achieved thus far, and the willingness to go somewhere else and build the whole thing up again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
fair question: so why is this possible transfer not as controversial as Diamond?

I'd say Diamond's was more unique/shocking than controversial, though I guess there was some of the latter. All-Americans don't transfer often. And All-Americans on a team that is projected to be a NC contender even less so.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

You can only work with the information you've got (And seen) . I don't think it's going out on a limb to say the two transfer situations are miles apart (And not just geographically).
Natalie is leaving for a very common reason (Coaching change) , it's not very clear in the DD situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom