Natalie Butler and Kalani Brown?? | The Boneyard

Natalie Butler and Kalani Brown??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would love to welcome Kalani Brown into the UCONN family. I have read speculation that she wants to stay close to home, but we don't know that for sure (or does someone?). With Collier and Boykin having committed- so exciting!- and others considering us we have the potential of a great class. I find myself wondering if Butler transferred in would it effect our chance for Brown or KLS? What do people think?

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I would assume that if Butler comes, I think it wouldn't make any difference at all to Kalani Brown, who appears to be so talented, that I think she would be unphased by Butlers decision. Just my opinion.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
IMHO, Brown, yes. KLS, no. Butler is a true 5 in every sense of the word. I don't know if she has much of a mid range game at all (her FT% was in the 60's her freshman year - similar to Tina Charles). Now a poor FT % does not necessarily mean poor outside shooting, but to me it's a pretty good indication.

KLS plays a c0mpletely different game. Think Ann Strother with a better shot and better guard skills. Yeah, she's that good. Without looking at Brown's statistics, I'd say she's more more similar to Kelsey Bone and Stef Dolson, like Butler is...

It's just my opinion, but if UCONN lands Butler, I think they stop recruiting Brown and go hard after McCoy - a top 10 post player from 2016 (who is 6'4" to boot - strong and athletic - maybe like a young Sylvia Fowles, but not as muscular)...

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
If Butler chooses UConn (not a given), I think Geno focuses on getting Samuelson and one of Durr/Ogunbowale and then focuses on 2016.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maybe Butler's visit was scheduled because Geno sensed that Brown wanted to stay closer to home. Or not.

I agree with Cat--if we get Butler, Brown is no longer such a high priority. I'd like either and would be fine with both. But one of them with Asia and Lou would be over the top!!!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
John Altavilla @jaltavilla · 21m
Quite the day for the #UConnwomen with news of Big East FOY Natalie Butler's visit and verbal from De'Janae Boykin to Class of 2015

John Altavilla ‏@jaltavilla
With Boykin and Napheesa Collier, #UConnwomen already with two Top 10 players from Class of 2015 with likely more to come

John Altavilla ‏@jaltavilla 23m
#UConnwomen setting up very nicely now for Breanna Stewart's senior year in 2015-16. Lots of talent everywhere, even in Butler chooses UVA

John Altavilla ‏@jaltavilla 21m
Third sources tell Courant that Natalie Butler "would be perfect" for #UConnwomen although her talent level not equal to Stef Dolson so far

John Altavilla ‏@jaltavilla 10m
More good news: #UConnwomen emerging as heavy favorite to get @33katielou Katie Lou Samuelson. But that announcement months away

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Um, did all the publicity of our 2014 success, the family atmosphere, the WNBA draft, and Geno coaching Team USA give us any kind of a boost in recruiting?

Where is Triad and his speech on greed? :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
John Altavilla @jaltavilla · 21m
Quite the day for the #UConnwomen with news of Big East FOY Natalie Butler's visit and verbal from De'Janae Boykin to Class of 2015

John Altavilla ‏@jaltavilla
With Boykin and Napheesa Collier, #UConnwomen already with two Top 10 players from Class of 2015 with likely more to come

John Altavilla ‏@jaltavilla 23m
#UConnwomen setting up very nicely now for Breanna Stewart's senior year in 2015-16. Lots of talent everywhere, even in Butler chooses UVA

John Altavilla ‏@jaltavilla 21m
Third sources tell Courant that Natalie Butler "would be perfect" for #UConnwomen although her talent level not equal to Stef Dolson so far

John Altavilla ‏@jaltavilla 10m
More good news: #UConnwomen emerging as heavy favorite to get @33katielou Katie Lou Samuelson. But that announcement months away
This may be the best post I've seen in a long, long time.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Wonder why John A. is so interested in recruiting all of a sudden? ;)

Reaction Score
Wonder why John A. is so interested in recruiting all of a sudden? ;)
Why not ! John A. is a sports writer, seated in the basketball center of the world. If he did not report such "happens', it would be like the adage of 'starvation in the midst of plenty'.

Reaction Score
I don't know if our chances with Brown would be affected by Butler committing, but why should it? The best position for a coach is to have 3 healthy players at all 5 positions.

More to the point, if I were a center, say Brown, I'd want someone to rest me. Who wants to play 40 minutes at center? It's too much.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Why not ! John A. is a sports writer, seated in the basketball center of the world. If he did not report such "happens', it would be like the adage of 'starvation in the midst of plenty'.
The post I think refers to John's stated discomfort with contacting 16-18 year olds to pester them about college choices and preferring to concentrate on the actual Uconn team. (And I think the emoticon suggests a light hearted tweaking of JA.)

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
The post I think refers to John's stated discomfort with contacting 16-18 year olds to pester them about college choices and preferring to concentrate on the actual Uconn team. (And I think the emoticon suggests a light hearted tweaking of JA.)
Exactly. John A. is on record as having little or no interest in the recruiting 'game', rumor mill, etc. He has numerous times said he will report on recruits once they've signed their L'sOI. Just a little tweak in his direction... No biggie, and I truly hope his info is accurate.

Reaction Score
Has Kalani Brown visited UConn? If she hasn't I would assume she is staying south and to put our stock in Butler and #5MCcoy (2016)

Reaction Score
Has Kalani Brown visited UConn? If she hasn't I would assume she is staying south and to put our stock in Butler and #5MCcoy (2016)

If Geno is going hard after Butler it may mean UCONN'S chances of getting Kalani Brown are slim. Hopefully UCONN gets one of them to replace Kiah at the center position after she graduates.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
John is really sticking his neck out with the tweet about Samuelson. In poker parlance, he has "shoved his whole stack in."

Let's hope his sources are solid so UConn gets a terrific young player and JA gets a major scoop.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
If Geno is going hard after Butler it may mean UCONN'S chances of getting Kalani Brown are slim. Hopefully UCONN gets one of them to replace Kiah at the center position after she graduates.
Or it may not.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Um, did all the publicity of our 2014 success, the family atmosphere, the WNBA draft, and Geno coaching Team USA give us any kind of a boost in recruiting?

Where is Triad and his speech on greed? :)

I bet a lot of recruits saw Bria's exit in the championship. Wouldn't surprise me if that would be a clincher for some. Who wouldn't want that?

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
John is really sticking his neck out with the tweet about Samuelson. In poker parlance, he has "shoved his whole stack in."

Let's hope his sources are solid so UConn gets a terrific young player and JA gets a major scoop.
I agree. Actually, I saw it and decided not to share. It is speculation and as he said an announcement is months away. My daughter changes her mind almost on a daily basis about what she likes to eat. So Katie could very easily have a change of heart. Worse, he mentioned Katie's Twitter name so it is possible that she saw it. It just isn't responsible to Tweet that now especially if you work for the flagship CT paper, IMHO. I don't doubt someone he thinks is in a position to know told him something. At best, you are creating angst among your audience and at worst, you are annoying a potential recruit. We are all excited by UConn WBB and sometimes we share speculation we shouldn't. No one gives a hoot what I think and rightly so. You have a different level of responsibility if you are a member of The Horde.

Reaction Score
BS: interesting points. I'm not positive that it would cause the recruit to get bent out of shape, but I do think back to Bone's mother and how her shorts got bunched (for reasons which I'll never understand or admire, I suppose......I'm sure she, Bone's mom, would not have appreciated being ignored). Could more understand a "source" for J.A.'s twitter being concerned, unless prior approval had been given. In any event, I'd see this as a very, very small factor in making a college decision; after all, it conveys the level of interest and enthusiasm at UCONN regarding "Our Girls."

Reaction Score
But, getting back to the question of the thread, Butler and Brown?? My answer unequivocal: sure...why not!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I bet a lot of recruits saw Bria's exit in the championship. Wouldn't surprise me if that would be a clincher for some. Who wouldn't want that?
Yeah. Or hugs with Kelly, Renee, et al. Geno got very emotional this year. That may have helped. He teases, goads, and even insults the players, but when you meet his expectations, he'll do anything for you. If you truly want to be great and are willing to put in the work, he is the best coach for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom