NASL in Hartford | Page 8 | The Boneyard

NASL in Hartford

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I have no idea where the current NASL teams reside but one would think Hartford, St Louis, Raleigh/CLT, Virginia Beach/Norfolk, Albuquerque, Omaha/Lincoln, Tampa, San Jose, El Paso/Juarez, and maybe even Austin would get long looks at teams.

Reaction Score
I have no idea where the current NASL teams reside but one would think Hartford, St Louis, Raleigh/CLT, Virginia Beach/Norfolk, Albuquerque, Omaha/Lincoln, Tampa, San Jose, El Paso/Juarez, and maybe even Austin would get long looks at teams.

I agree. But the problem is finding a millionaire or two to set a pile of cash on fire in those markets.

This year Miami, Oklahoma City and Puerto Rico got teams. San Antonio dissolved because the owner sold the club and the stadium to either the city or the SA Spurs in order to mount an MLS bid. PR is owned by Carmelo Anthony. Rayo OKC is owned by the La Liga Club of the same name. It sounds like Miami has some serious backing. One of the players actually bought a share of the club for $4 million.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I agree. But the problem is finding a millionaire or two to set a pile of cash on fire in those markets.

This year Miami, Oklahoma City and Puerto Rico got teams. San Antonio dissolved because the owner sold the club and the stadium to either the city or the SA Spurs in order to mount an MLS bid. PR is owned by Carmelo Anthony. Rayo OKC is owned by the La Liga Club of the same name. It sounds like Miami has some serious backing. One of the players actually bought a share of the club for $4 million.
Surprised they dissolved the club in San Antonio. Wasn't it highly supported by fans? Would think they'd want to keep the club running in order to help push their MLS bid. Can't see MLS adding a third Texas team but who knows

Reaction Score
Surprised they dissolved the club in San Antonio. Wasn't it highly supported by fans? Would think they'd want to keep the club running in order to help push their MLS bid. Can't see MLS adding a third Texas team but who knows

It was sold along with the Stadium. The new owners moved the team to the USL.

Reaction Score
Something like this needs to happen in Hartford and its Dillon stadium:
Setting aside the latest bamboozle in Hartford and short-term chances for an NASL, USL, or any pro team floating down the long and winding tidal river, nothing's stopping you or anyone else from initiating a similar campaign, corporate or GoFundMe-like fundraising, etc.

Reaction Score
Setting aside the latest bamboozle in Hartford and short-term chances for an NASL, USL, or any pro team floating down the long and winding tidal river, nothing's stopping you or anyone else from initiating a similar campaign, corporate or GoFundMe-like fundraising, etc.

I give credit where credit is due. Detroit was in a very bad place and areas outside the city still are (Flint); but, some very committed folks are putting money into the city and trying to turn things around. They are trying to give people hope.

As for Hartford, I would just be happy with a city government that does not turn everything it touches into shi!. They had the people and the money; but, can't get out of their own way.

Reaction Score
As troubled as Detroit has been and is, some positives are evolving after hitting about as low as almost any city can go, people getting a bit more realistic, some unions acknowledging decreasing membership and a near dead sector required capitulation and negotiation with equally challenged corporate management, innovations including technology, boat loads of tax paying citizens' money, etc. are contributing to some green shoots. On the other hand, Flint which is about 60 miles away is an ongoing cluster phark sadly evidenced by the recent water controversy.

As messed up as Hartford's city mis-management has been, it has much more going for it and comparably few, if any, of Detroit's let alone Flint's tragic excuses. There should have been no sound reason a well organized effort could not succeed in building a successful minor league soccer team. Unfortunately, the mis-managed Insurance City's incompetence failed to adequately analyze and identify the corrupt barstads who helped send the NASL prospects down river. Epic fail!

Reaction Score
From the untapped market article:
http://midfieldpress.com/2016/02/16...s-wont-part-ii-the-untapped-markets/#comments

The rumor mill continues to churn as it relates to Hartford, with word that a group that is planning to stage a friendly in the area this summer to test the market and talk that Hartford was one of the locations that Celtic FC was interested in for its reported NASL team bid. Reports suggest that Hartford City FC may re-form with a new ownership group, although that may only pertain to the indoor version of the team. Time will tell if anything comes from these rumors.

Rumor or not, We have to make sure we represent during the USWNT friendly at the Rent in April. I think they got around 15k last time We had 37k @ the rent during landon's last game. They'll be watching.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sons of Twain, kind of bad ass.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Celtic Eye NASL Franchise

Looks like Celtic is considering starting a club in America. NASL is a likely landing spot, with Hartford, Philly and Boston mentioned as locations.
I really hope it happens but I just fear that many things are working against something that is a great idea. The latest Dillon stadium fiasco, the Yard goats stadium slogfest, and the Hartford budget crisis are all reasons why public funds are likely to never invest in something that seems risky to many. Soccer is growing rapidly in popularity but to the general public they won't see why they should dump the money in. The only way this happens is if the stadium is privately funded almost entirely.

Reaction Score
From the untapped market article:
Markets NASL Should Target That MLS Won’t – Part II: The Untapped Markets

The rumor mill continues to churn as it relates to Hartford, with word that a group that is planning to stage a friendly in the area this summer to test the market and talk that Hartford was one of the locations that Celtic FC was interested in for its reported NASL team bid. Reports suggest that Hartford City FC may re-form with a new ownership group, although that may only pertain to the indoor version of the team. Time will tell if anything comes from these rumors.

Rumor or not, We have to make sure we represent during the USWNT friendly at the Rent in April. I think they got around 15k last time We had 37k @ the rent during landon's last game. They'll be watching.

Totally forgot about this post! My bad!

Reaction Score
^^^ it's all good. My post was back in Feb. I'm glad this is getting brought up again. Another article

Celtic USA: A New Colony Club Heading to NASL?

I don't know if the 10-12 million that was set aside for the Dillion revamp is still around. I know their was rumor of using those funds for the yard goat debacle.
Since Hartford already paid for the stadium plans to be used @ Dillion, they should offer that remaining $ and plans to Celtic. I would trust them WAY more than PSMG or Black Diamond. Or at least offer the team to use DD park until Dillion is ready. I'm not getting my hopes up, but the cosmos need a close rival and now with the bein tv contract, I could see this potentially gaining steam.

Reaction Score
^^^ it's all good. My post was back in Feb. I'm glad this is getting brought up again. Another article

Celtic USA: A New Colony Club Heading to NASL?

I don't know if the 10-12 million that was set aside for the Dillion revamp is still around. I know their was rumor of using those funds for the yard goat debacle.
Since Hartford already paid for the stadium plans to be used @ Dillion, they should offer that remaining $ and plans to Celtic. I would trust them WAY more than PSMG or Black Diamond. Or at least offer the team to use DD park until Dillion is ready. I'm not getting my hopes up, but the cosmos need a close rival and now with the bein tv contract, I could see this potentially gaining steam.

A group like Celtic needs a local partner with credibility. We also need to find a stadium that is ready now, not a fixer upper.

Oklahoma had three teams now. Tulsa and OKC in the USL and another NASL OKC team. They have all these giant high school football stadiums down there. Tulsa plays in a minor league baseball park. That's a good model to follow. There has to be something like that available in the state.

Reaction Score
Tulsa plays in a minor league baseball park. That's a good model to follow. There has to be something like that available in the state.
Yup, brand new in fact. So new, it's not even opened. And, a short porch in right to boot. Mind you, so short minor league rules required installing an outfield net near the edge of a typical infield line and far too short for any reasonable soccer field. Crazy, eh? :) (I jest, sort of)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yup, brand new in fact. So new, it's not even opened. And, a short porch in right to boot. Mind you, so short minor league rules required installing an outfield net near the edge of a typical infield line and far too short for any reasonable soccer field. Crazy, eh? :) (I jest, sort of)

Sounds familiar:)

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Actually that's not totally true. The Eastern League officials gave the green light on building the stadium with the current dimensions. It wasn't until after the stadium construction was underway that the same officials changed their minds and felt that the short porch would damage MiLB pitchers confidence. What a crock.

Reaction Score

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Good find. I've never heard of the ASL before. Is it even considered among the tiers or whatever American soccer has??

What is the status with Celtic and their interest in the NASL? I feel like that's Hartford's best bet but even that is a super long shot. Like I said previously, the screw up with Dillon along with the baseball stadium fiasco has likely doomed soccer in Hartford for awhile. It would take a massive success of the Yard Goats to prove that bringing another team to Hartford would be worth it. As of right now, the Yard Goats success is yet to be determined.

Reaction Score
Sucks that whole Dillion fiasco had to happen. HFD/CT market usually gets top 10 for soccer events ratings whether men's/women's US, EPL, etc, not sure about other leagues.

I really want soccer to happen in some form in CT. Do we maybe get USL team from revs or NYCFC? I would rather have a pro local CT independent team. One to call our own.( not another NY ranger/Wolfpack deal. A pro team to call our own would be awesome. 18k and then 23k for US women and 36k for US men shows soccer could work here. Would Kraft allow another MLS team at rent? I doubt it. I think the rev team in E HFD would do WAY better than the current set up @ Gillette. Too bad it's just a tax write off for Kraft and puts lil to no $$$ into the team.

Last I heard, Celtic group was supposed to host a friendly, but I have no idea where. Glad UConn will get a new stadium soon. I have ST tickets and can't wait for this season. (Lots of returning players)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good find. I've never heard of the ASL before. Is it even considered among the tiers or whatever American soccer has??

What is the status with Celtic and their interest in the NASL? I feel like that's Hartford's best bet but even that is a super long shot. Like I said previously, the screw up with Dillon along with the baseball stadium fiasco has likely doomed soccer in Hartford for awhile. It would take a massive success of the Yard Goats to prove that bringing another team to Hartford would be worth it. As of right now, the Yard Goats success is yet to be determined.

It's fourth tier, but the players are paid which is different than PDL and NPSL.

They want tier 3 status.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom