NASL in Hartford | The Boneyard

NASL in Hartford

Reaction Score
I received this email today, which is basically for the umbrella Supporter's Group from the yet to be announced NASL team in Hartford. Something to keep an eye on...

"You have answered the call. You are one of the few who will ignite many. The time has come. Soccer is coming to back to Hartford in the form of NASL. Let yourself get excited, all the radiant support from fans seen on television from across the world is coming home. The flags, the banners, the songs, the drums, the smoke, the confetti will be for you, for us, and our team. Supporting a soccer team around the world is synonymous with a celebration of culture. You're going to be a part of starting something electric right here at home.

The team has yet to be named, the colors have yet to be decided. The hard work is just beginning. The Armory is set to encompass all of the supporters groups for our club in one united stand. Our mission is to fill that section, and unite supporters from around the state. We want to unite the players, coaches, and fans that contribute to our soccer culture. We are going to prove that Connecticut is ready for professional soccer, and it will be a success.

You have helped us make this first steps in the creating a vibrant supporter's culture. It can be done. Orlando < has done it. Minnesota < has done it. It's our turn. It's our time.

So tell your friends, your neighbors, your coworkers, your teammates to get on it, and make the Call to Arms. Our mission is to Stock the Armory and ensure the success of our team. In 36 hours, 100 people have already made the call, and we thank you for that. We value your participation, and we can't wait to meet up with you and enthuse about soccer in Connecticut.

Keep an eye on the horizon for emails, and press releases as information is allowed to go public about the team. We are still in our infancy, and you are helping us forge our identity. That means a lot to us, and we hope it means as much to you.

If you would like to become involved with the Armory, please send us an email or reach out to us on social media!

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hartfordarmory <https://www.facebook.com/hartfordarmory>
Twitter - https://twitter.com/HartfordArmory <https://twitter.com/HartfordArmory>
Instagram - @hartfordarmory

Yours Forever in Soccer,

The Armory Team"

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Here's the website:

http://www.thearmoryct.com/

Interesting that they keep referring to the future team as Hartford City FC. Can't ever recall anyone ever saying Hartford City when referring to Hartford but I guess no one calls Manchester, Manchester City, so there's that....

I signed up.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I received this email today, which is basically for the umbrella Supporter's Group from the yet to be announced NASL team in Hartford. Something to keep an eye on...

"You have answered the call. You are one of the few who will ignite many. The time has come. Soccer is coming to back to Hartford in the form of NASL. Let yourself get excited, all the radiant support from fans seen on television from across the world is coming home. The flags, the banners, the songs, the drums, the smoke, the confetti will be for you, for us, and our team. Supporting a soccer team around the world is synonymous with a celebration of culture. You're going to be a part of starting something electric right here at home.

The team has yet to be named, the colors have yet to be decided. The hard work is just beginning. The Armory is set to encompass all of the supporters groups for our club in one united stand. Our mission is to fill that section, and unite supporters from around the state. We want to unite the players, coaches, and fans that contribute to our soccer culture. We are going to prove that Connecticut is ready for professional soccer, and it will be a success.

You have helped us make this first steps in the creating a vibrant supporter's culture. It can be done. Orlando < has done it. Minnesota < has done it. It's our turn. It's our time.

So tell your friends, your neighbors, your coworkers, your teammates to get on it, and make the Call to Arms. Our mission is to Stock the Armory and ensure the success of our team. In 36 hours, 100 people have already made the call, and we thank you for that. We value your participation, and we can't wait to meet up with you and enthuse about soccer in Connecticut.

Keep an eye on the horizon for emails, and press releases as information is allowed to go public about the team. We are still in our infancy, and you are helping us forge our identity. That means a lot to us, and we hope it means as much to you.

If you would like to become involved with the Armory, please send us an email or reach out to us on social media!

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hartfordarmory <https://www.facebook.com/hartfordarmory>
Twitter - https://twitter.com/HartfordArmory <https://twitter.com/HartfordArmory>
Instagram - @hartfordarmory

Yours Forever in Soccer,

The Armory Team"

Thanks for sharing. I signed up.

Reaction Score
Here's the website:

http://www.thearmoryct.com/

Interesting that they keep referring to the future team as Hartford City FC. Can't ever recall anyone ever saying Hartford City when referring to Hartford but I guess no one calls Manchester, Manchester City, so there's that....

I signed up.

Sort of like Orlando City maybe.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
They just sent me a survey asking what the supporter section should be called. Would include link but on phone. Some terrible choices and a few decent ones. Hope this whole thing takes off.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
They just sent me a survey asking what the supporter section should be called. Would include link but on phone. Some terrible choices and a few decent ones. Hope this whole thing takes off.

It has to be Hookers Heroes right?

That, or I like Sons of Twain and Colt 45's (or simply the 45's).

Reaction Score
Charter Oak FC. :rolleyes:

"Charter Oak" in the standings similar to how the the Scottish league uses names in standings would actually be cool.

Reaction Score
Charter Oak FC. :rolleyes:

"Charter Oak" in the standings similar to how the the Scottish league uses names in standings would actually be cool.

Not sure what would scare aware suburban families, which are the key to attendance success in NASL, more - naming the fan club after one of Hartford's most notorious housing projects or calling them Hooker's Heroes. Including the word 'Hooligan' in any soccer organization should not be considered either, just too much baggage.

Outside of the name, does a potential Hartford NASL team hurt of help the remote possibility of a MLS team coming to Hartford? a NASL team would likely freeze MLS out of Hartford in the future; but, it they are wildly successful, could help lure a MLS franchise in the future, similar to Orlando and Minneapolis.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Not sure what would scare aware suburban families, which are the key to attendance success in NASL, more - naming the fan club after one of Hartford's most notorious housing projects or calling them Hooker's Heroes. Including the word 'Hooligan' in any soccer organization should not be considered either, just too much baggage.

Outside of the name, does a potential Hartford NASL team hurt of help the remote possibility of a MLS team coming to Hartford? a NASL team would likely freeze MLS out of Hartford in the future; but, it they are wildly successful, could help lure a MLS franchise in the future, similar to Orlando and Minneapolis.

It helps, immeasurably. Many of the MLS clubs are NASL (or other) that have moved up. I am entirely too lazy to look it up, but teams that got "promoted" include: Seattle, Portland, Vancouver, Montreal and Orlando.

I happen to think NASL will crush it in CT. It is really the perfect sport at the perfect time of year for the state.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I just hope they can field a respectable team. I've been to all of these types of efforts over the years. The Colonials, the FoxForce, Sea Wolves, Coyotes, Hellions, Bicentennials, et al. With just a few exceptions (Pride, Knights) the teams have been awful. Let's hope this crew knows what they are doing.

Reaction Score

It doesn't hurt, as West Hartford pointed out.

NASL actually has a respectable following. Currently the NASL and MLS have a sort Big East-ACC/B1G realignment dynamic. The NASL commissioner kind of sounds like Mike Aresco making wild claims that can't be backed up. He now says that if expansion teams have "MLS Ambitions" then that would give them pause. He has repeatedly stated that they want to be the second first division league in the US and they believe that free agency, not having a salary cap and running the league like it is done everywhere else in the world will give fans a positive alternative.

MLS people love to rubbish NASL and yet they have their eyes on the teams with strong followings and strong owners such as Minnesota, San Antonio and Indy.

Also, I did some digging around on bigsoccer.com which is massively pro MLS site now. But according someone there is an actual Hartford ownership group that knows what they are getting into in Hartford. But not many people know who they are. So this all could be vapor. On the other hand, someone apparently got enough info that he or she felt it worthwhile to form a supporter's group. Which is a good sign because in order for a new club to get going it needs that grassroots support at the front end.

Reaction Score
I love Hartford United.

I have a strong hunch they will be called the Hartford Bicentennials since that was what the NASL team that played there in the '70s was called. Personally, I hate that name. Plus I would hope they would want to make a break from a team that only lasted a year.

Edit: They lasted longer than a year but moved to the west coast and then Canada later on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartford_Bicentennials

Reaction Score
I had no idea Hartford would name one of their housing projects after the Charter Oak.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score

I believe that the survey was asking for names for the supporters section not the actual team. I would hope that the majority of those names on that survey would never be considered for the team. I hope the whole thing pans out but there was an article in the Courant a few months ago about the problems facing any renovation or use of Dillon Stadium. I think there's a long ways to go before any of this even gets legs.

Reaction Score
Anyone remember the Connecticut Wolves? I remember seeing them once in New Britain, think against a MLS team. Was a good environment.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Anyone remember the Connecticut Wolves? I remember seeing them once in New Britain, think against a MLS team. Was a good environment.

I saw the Wolves beat the Tampa Bay Mutiny in New Britain when Valderrama was on the team. It was a horrible night, just sheets of rain the entire time. He was on the outs with the coach and sat most of the game. He had a look that said "WTF am I doing here?"I felt bad for the guy.

Reaction Score
I saw the Wolves beat the Tampa Bay Mutiny in New Britain when Valderrama was on the team. It was a horrible night, just sheets of rain the entire time. He was on the outs with the coach and sat most of the game. He had a look that said "WTF am I doing here?"I felt bad for the guy.

Do you remember if Ray Hudson was the coach?

Reaction Score
I believe that the survey was asking for names for the supporters section not the actual team. I would hope that the majority of those names on that survey would never be considered for the team. I hope the whole thing pans out but there was an article in the Courant a few months ago about the problems facing any renovation or use of Dillon Stadium. I think there's a long ways to go before any of this even gets legs.

I think this is what you are referring to. Good info.

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/art...hartford-sued-over-12m-dillon-stadium-project

Basically, if this lawsuit gets worked out, it sounds like this is close to a done deal since the city allocated 12 mil to this plus the fee for stadium management and oversight.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom