Narrative that UConn Football is Hindrance to P5 Invite is Dead Wrong | The Boneyard

Narrative that UConn Football is Hindrance to P5 Invite is Dead Wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The thing that's pissed me off since Day 1 w/ CR (well, one of many things) is that P5 conferences expect all take and no give. They look at UConn's football program in its current state and for some reason don't see the potential - either in the TV market or the level of success for the program. They want a finished product, if you will. They don't seem to consider the fact that if we were in a P5 conference that it would help our recruiting, exposure, etc to improve our football program. How about UConn helps the B1G while the B1G helps UConn? How about you scratch our backs and we scratch yours?

The reality is that under Edsall the football program wasn't any worse than the Indianas, Purdues, etc of the world. PP was brought in at the worst possible time and undid everything Edsall worked so hard to accomplish. Hurts even more that Edsall fell flat on his face at Maryland. He obviously couldn't turn that job down but it would be interesting to see where we'd be if he never left.

Reaction Score
The thing that's pissed me off since Day 1 w/ CR (well, one of many things) is that P5 conferences expect all take and no give. They look at UConn's football program in its current state and for some reason don't see the potential - either in the TV market or the level of success for the program. They want a finished product, if you will. They don't seem to consider the fact that if we were in a P5 conference that it would help our recruiting, exposure, etc to improve our football program. How about UConn helps the B1G while the B1G helps UConn? How about you scratch our backs and we scratch yours?

The reality is that under Edsall the football program wasn't any worse than the Indianas, Purdues, etc of the world. PP was brought in at the worst possible time and undid everything Edsall worked so hard to accomplish. Hurts even more that Edsall fell flat on his face at Maryland. He obviously couldn't turn that job down but it would be interesting to see where we'd be if he never left.

I get your angst but like many here you read way too much into how the failings of your football program over a very short period of time effects your potential inclusion in The B1G. Your football program is fine. It would be more than competitive with much of the conference if it started play tomorrow. The real issue is and remains can you bring the existing members of the conference a big enough increase in conference pay as to be agreeable to additional expansion.

Rutgers was terrible at football for over a century, and not much better at many other sports. It didn't matter in the least because Delany knew he could leverage NY/NJ Cable Subscribers to a big financial windfall. I still believe so many of the metrics discussed in conference realignment are strictly window dressing. There is only one metric. Money. Show that you bring more to the table than you take and you have a shot. I'm not sure exactly how that's done, but I'm sure there is a team of people in your AD working hard trying to figure it out. Having Hockey is a plus. Top flight basketball is also a major benefit. Possibly a Lacrosse Team in the future could be another value added proposition to The B1G?

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
There is only one metric. Money. Show that you bring more to the table than you take and you have a shot. I'm not sure exactly how that's done, but I'm sure there is a team of people in your AD working hard trying to figure it out. ?

The Big12 is doing just that right now. We will likely find out soon if the numbers are in our favor.

Reaction Score
Rutgers was terrible at football for over a century, and not much better at many other sports.

Where does this myth that Rutgers was terrible in football for a century come from? Pleas answer that.

In the past 100 seasons, RU had more winning seasons then losing seasons (54 winning, 40 losing, six seasons ending at .500) Undefeated seasons in the both 60's and 70's, three Middle Atlantic Championships, and finished in the AP top 20 four times (1958,1961,1976,2006.)

RU had a terrible stretch from '95 to '05 with 9 losing seasons out of 10, but also had a ten year period from '71 to '81 where we had 9 winning seasons out of 10...going 72-27 during that time... and 10 year period in the 40's with 9 out of 10 winning seasons, and a 10 year period from 2005 to 2014 where we had 8 out of 10 winning seasons.

I just laugh at people who make such blanket statements like RU was horrible for 100 years, as if we never won. Just shows how clueless you are.

Take a look at UCONN's all-time record. More losses than wins. More losing seasons than winning seasons.

But that doesn't fit your Stop, does it?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Where does this myth that Rutgers was terrible in football for a century come from? Pleas answer that.

In the past 100 seasons, RU had more winning seasons then losing seasons (54 winning, 40 losing, six seasons ending at .500) Undefeated seasons in the both 60's and 70's, three Middle Atlantic Championships, and finished in the AP top 20 four times (1958,1961,1976,2006.)

RU had a terrible stretch from '95 to '05 with 9 losing seasons out of 10, but also had a ten year period from '71 to '81 where we had 9 winning seasons out of 10...going 72-27 during that time... and 10 year period in the 40's with 9 out of 10 winning seasons, and a 10 year period from 2005 to 2014 where we had 8 out of 10 winning seasons.

I just laugh at people who make such blanket statements like RU was horrible for 100 years, as if we never won. Just shows how clueless you are.

Take a look at UCONN's all-time record. More losses than wins. More losing seasons than winning seasons.

But that doesn't fit your bull , does it?

Rutgers is a grade-A dumpster fire.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, football is what drives the bus in a football-first league like the Big 12. I think having sub 30,000 attendance, not a winning season since 2010, and being located an average of 1,600 miles from each Big 12 school is probably too much to really overcome. I guess we can always hope for miracles.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, football is what drives the bus in a football-first league like the Big 12. I think having sub 30,000 attendance, not a winning season since 2010, and being located an average of 1,600 miles from each Big 12 school is probably too much to really overcome. I guess we can always hope for miracles.

5_25.gif

Reaction Score

Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.

Reaction Score
We all know this: The bar for existing P5 programs is much lower than the bar for getting an invite. Much much lower. I think UConn's turn only comes after a major shake-up, which sucks.

Reaction Score

My apologies. Kicking the * out of The Carlisle Indian School at the dawn of the horseless carriage clearly is what punched your ticket to the big time. I'm sure if The BTN didn't exist it would have had no effect on Rutgers being invited right?

Reaction Score

If no Big 12 Network I think you are 100% right. If The Big 12 Network is planned then you have a very good chance.

Reaction Score

You registered to post that? Go back to whatever board you came from.

pj

Reaction Score

Football used to drive the bus, until a money difference arose. Now money drives the bus.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
When Rutgers was playing Bucknell, Lafayette & Lehigh regularly they did finish over .500 more often than not. Over the st three plus decades when the competition became Temple, semi-regular games with Penn St, and for a while a heavy dose of what was the original BE football conference, winning seasons were basically a stretch from 2005 until the move to the B1G.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

Actually I'm pretty sure Rutgers has been terrible much longer than a century. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Whaddya mean "we", kemo sabbe?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Rutgers football pedigree is really beyond dispute. Here's a picture of people walking out from the third quarter of a Rutgers game with some quotes:

upload_2016-3-27_2-9-33.png

"Well old bean, I've had quite enough of this rot!"
"Quite so these Rutgers fellows rather suck, what?
"Haha, why these fellows could play for a 100 years and still be a laughing stock."
"Just so, just so, ha ha ha.
"​

Last edited:

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Kind of on a tangent but I didn't want to start a new topic: the kid who works at the place I often go for lunch is a big Pats fan. Doesn't care much for college sports. I said "hey they got Terrance Knighton. Born and raised in CT. Couldn't qualify academically for UConn so he went to Temple."

Kid tells me "it's probably better he did." I asked why. He said "because if he went to UConn he's probably not in the NFL today." I asked why he thinks that. He said "because UConn doesn't put people in the NFL. What do they have three, maybe four guys in the league in the last 15 years." I was like "umm they have like 15 right now and have had more draft picks in the last three years than Texas, Miami, etc. And have more players in the league right now than all big 12 schools but Texas and OU."

This is in Wethersfield. 10 minutes from our own football stadium. It's disgusting that this is what people think around here.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Kind of on a tangent but I didn't want to start a new topic: the kid who works at the place I often go for lunch is a big Pats fan. Doesn't care much for college sports. I said "hey they got Terrance Knighton. Born and raised in CT. Couldn't qualify academically for UConn so he went to Temple."

Kid tells me "it's probably better he did." I asked why. He said "because if he went to UConn he's probably not in the NFL today." I asked why he thinks that. He said "because UConn doesn't put people in the NFL. What do they have three, maybe four guys in the league in the last 15 years." I was like "umm they have like 15 right now and have had more draft picks in the last three years than Texas, Miami, etc. And have more players in the league right now than all big 12 schools but Texas and OU."

This is in Wethersfield. 10 minutes from our own football stadium. It's disgusting that this is what people think around here.

Curious to know what this jabroni's reaction was.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score

Get off our board, go troll some place else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom