Narrative that UConn Football is Hindrance to P5 Invite is Dead Wrong | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Narrative that UConn Football is Hindrance to P5 Invite is Dead Wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You can almost feel the glee some of the commenters have for UConn basically being stuck. Almost like it's personal for some of them. Weird.

Reaction Score
You can almost feel the glee some of the commenters have for UConn basically being stuck. Almost like it's personal for some of them. Weird.

Big shout out to Dooley (and even Nicky), doing the heavy lifting. A million likes for what you do!

Comments section:

UConn
Your assessment of UConn is WAY off. The following statement is incorrect on many levels: "The fact is that UConn isn’t in a large media market and despite its proximity to New York, it just doesn’t register there, making the addition of UConn unlikely to boost the per school payout of a power 5 conference".

First, let’s start with the fact that there are over 11.4M TV homes within a 2 hour radius of UConn. Of those markets, UConn ranks as the #1 program in Hartford/New Haven #30 DMA (obviously). In addition to Hartford/New Haven, UConn is also a Top 5 followed FOOTBALL program in BOTH NYC and Boston. Yes, you read that right, Top 5 followed FOOTBALL program in BOTH New York and Boston: Responsive Documents/p1 (Page 7 of this link). Obviously, UConn basketball ranks considerably higher in following fanbases in both cities for both men’s and women’s basketball. Madison Square Garden is routinely turned into "UConn South" (Tom Izzo’s words) whenever UConn plays there…most recently, in the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 games played in 2014 and last year’s regular season game against your Terrapins. Yes, I know, conference realignment is about football. But when a school with that kind of a following in the #1, #8, and #30 DMAs in YEAR ROUND content, that spells substantial value for any conference with a network or wanting to launch one.

Second, let’s discuss Tier 3 media values. UConn signed a contract with IMG Sports in 2010 for $80M over 10 years. In addition, New York regional sports station SNY inked a deal for Women’s Basketball only that netted UConn an additional $1.14M/yr. All total, UConn’s Tier 3 rights were valued at over $9M/yr…a figure that would put it in the upper echelon of ALL so-called "Power" 5 schools.A sampling of recently signed multimedia rights deals.

Third, apparel contracts. UConn and Nike signed a deal in 2010 that netted the school $2.775M/yr. Again, that figure ranked favorably against most Power 5 schools. UConn’s deal with Nike expires very soon (2017) and the UConn brand will surely net a substantially richer payout.http://www.bizjournals.com/portland...2/database-nike-adidas-under-armour-ncaa.html

Fourth, brand value. In 2014, UConn’s athletic department generated $72M. This figure beats #2 BYU by about $13M. This revenue is BY FAR the largest in the entire G5. UConn’s expenses (aka – its commitment to athletic success) also trumps every G5 competitor. This is all done without the luxury of having the P5 TV revenue that other grandfathered-in and inferior athletic departments enjoy. Equity in Athletics Data Analysis Cutting Tool Website

UConn’s brand, value from Tier 3 rights and apparel marketing, and sizable alumni/fanbase figures in the densely populated northeast separate it from every other Group 5 school. Actually, UConn is separated from a good number of grandfathered Power 5 schools too.

by DooleyMcStitch on Apr 13, 2016
Keep up the good work, Dooley!

by Thunder Chief on Apr 13, 2016

Yes because what the world needs is more UConn fans spamming every thread about how they’re #5 in New York.

by Scarlet_Lutefisk on Apr 13, 2016

Spam? No. Obviously you didn’t comprehend my point. I said Top 5 followed football program inboth NYC and Boston. There are two schools that can say that – Notre Dame and UConn. That’s it. Obviously, basketball is followed MUCH more in both cities…mostly NYC. We’ve all seen MSG taken over by UConn fans.

by DooleyMcStitch on Apr 14, 2016

Don’t mistake mockery for incomprehension. I’ve seen the same out of context & misleading data flooded on multiple boards anytime conference realignment comes up. Quoting Tier 3 data when there is no consistent method in which it is calculated, going on about how you bring a market in which the B1G already has schools with a higher profile within said market and so on ad nauseam.

The B1G doesn’t care how UConn compares against BYU or G5 schools. It only cares if you meet certain bars (State Flagship, AAU membership or equivalent academic standing), are in a region it is interested in expanding it’s presence into and most importantly if you can bring enough money to the conference to increase the payout for all existing members (no your t-shirt sales don’t help). Everything we know so far suggests UConn is well below those metrics.

I get it, UConn fans are unhappy with their lot in life & desperate for a lifeline but the bottom line is that we’re just not that into you.

by Scarlet_Lutefisk on Apr 14, 2016
Thoughts on why UConn has, so far,
Lost the game of musical chairs?

Football/iffy recruiting area/shifting demographics come to mind, but would be interested in other thoughts.

The biggest problem from the B1G perspective is I’m not sure UConn adds much revenue under the B1G Network model, given the presence of Rutgers.

by bshock on Apr 14, 2016 | 11:41 AM up reply
That last sentence is very accurate
Yet so confusing to read.

by ckstevenson on Apr 14, 2016
Haha, weird to type.
But yeah, under the current subscriber model, I think it is accurate. It may become less accurate if the ala carte model takes hold.

by bshock on Apr 14, 2016
that's only because
other than syracuse and BC, there are not major college football teams in the northeast. I live in CT and know very few people who sit at home watching UConn football on any given saturday. it just does not happen.

by LW1 on Apr 14, 2016

3 reasons why uconn won't join the B1G
1 – non-aau
2 – football has only been fbs for < 20 years
3 – uconn is locked between the new york city and boston tv markets, but doesn’t dominate either (i live in the boston burbs and uconn isn’t considered a local team).

hell, there are probably more maryland and penn state alumni in the new york city area than uconn alumni.

'The Amen chorus is as Marylandy as vinegar on some fresh picked backfin lump.' - by HughGR on Jun 10, 2015 | 11:30 AM
'"Should" is the mother of all fuckups' - by GoForThree on Sep 27, 2015 | 12:51 PM

by ziowa9 on Apr 14, 2016 |

DooleyMcStitch 6:35 AM reply

1- Non-AAU is probably the biggest (and likely only) deterrent to UConn in the B1G. I guess nothing is impossible though. The B1G just added non-AAU Notre Dame to its hockey conference and would probably be willing to waive that requirement for the right mix of schools. Oklahoma and Notre Dame football and UConn basketball type of programs. Having a conference network means you need year-round content. The more elite programs that are in your conference and on your conference network means money. But yes, AAUhas been a strict requirement in the past and UConn is not AAU…yet.

2 – UConn football has been pretty successful despite being a young program. I get your point, you like tradition. But I will ask you what is more intriguing to you: a program like Rutgers who has lost for over 100 years or a young program like UConn who has already been to 6 bowls and has more players in the NFL than any other G5 school?

3- This is not fact. This is your opinion. UConn is covered pretty routinely in the Boston Globe. UConn players were invited to throw out the ceremonial first pitch at Fenway after winning championship #4 (mostly because Shabazz Napier is from the Boston burbs). UConn players were also invited to throw out the ceremonial first pitch at Fenway after championship #3 too. UConn has over 15K alumni in Boston and is a very quick 45 minute – 1 hour drive from Storrs. UConn fans routinely took over Conte Forum in the 90s for games against Boston College (which is probably why BC has politicked so hard to keep them out of theACC) and most recently, a game at TD Bank Garden against Gonzaga about 5 years ago. The Red Sox just offered the upcoming November UConn/BC football game be played at Fenway, knowing the large number of UConn fans that will be at the game, but BC declined.

NYC alumni – Penn State has a huge alumni presence in NYC. No question about that. I have no idea how many Maryland alums are in NYC but I do know that UConn has over 30K alumni in NYC. That’s a very high number. But here’s where the edge shifts significantly into UConn’s favor: part of the NYC DMA extends into Connecticut’s "Gold Coast" where there are obviously many more UConn alumni and non-alumni fans. Google any FCC coverage map and you will see the majority of NYC local stations extend into Connecticut. At worst, this means secondary subscriber rates for a BTN. At best, primary rates. If UConn has smart people working on its behalf (and I think they do), they would market the fact that UConn can bring secondary subscriber rates in NYC and Boston and primary in Hartford/New Haven. You add all of that up, and that is a financial swoon for the conference.

by DooleyMcStitch reply

couple of points
if the new york city metropolitan area includes north jersey and long island, there are a shitload of maryland alumni in the area.

in terms of the boston media market, uconn < boston college: and boston college isn’t exactly in the spotlight. boston (like new york) is a pro-sports town. and boston already has btn (at least on verizon fios, which i have).

lastly, in terms of uconn football, let me just remind you of this. after getting into the bcs following the 2010 season, the huskies flew to phoenix w/ their head coach randy edsall negotiating w/ kevin anderson to take the maryland job.

'The Amen chorus is as Marylandy as vinegar on some fresh picked backfin lump.' - by HughGR on Jun 10, 2015 | 11:30 AM
'"Should" is the mother of all fuckups' - by GoForThree on Sep 27, 2015 | 12:51 PM

by ziowa9 on Apr 14, 2016

Atta boy Mr Boneyard....you know I believe UConn belongs somewhere in a P5 conference on whole in the biggest market hold above NYC before BC did..

by NickyNewarkinNY on Apr 14, 2016

Reaction Score
:p:p:D:D:D:p:p
How fast are you driving that you get from UConn to Boston in 45 minutes? I've made that drive literally dozens of times, and it's definitely over an hour.
With all that was said in Dooleys post That's what stood out to you? LOL:p

Reaction Score
Big shout out to Dooley (and even Nicky), doing the heavy lifting. A million likes for what you do!

Comments section:

UConn
Your assessment of UConn is WAY off. The following statement is incorrect on many levels: "The fact is that UConn isn’t in a large media market and despite its proximity to New York, it just doesn’t register there, making the addition of UConn unlikely to boost the per school payout of a power 5 conference".

First, let’s start with the fact that there are over 11.4M TV homes within a 2 hour radius of UConn. Of those markets, UConn ranks as the #1 program in Hartford/New Haven #30 DMA (obviously). In addition to Hartford/New Haven, UConn is also a Top 5 followed FOOTBALL program in BOTH NYC and Boston. Yes, you read that right, Top 5 followed FOOTBALL program in BOTH New York and Boston: Responsive Documents/p1 (Page 7 of this link). Obviously, UConn basketball ranks considerably higher in following fanbases in both cities for both men’s and women’s basketball. Madison Square Garden is routinely turned into "UConn South" (Tom Izzo’s words) whenever UConn plays there…most recently, in the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 games played in 2014 and last year’s regular season game against your Terrapins. Yes, I know, conference realignment is about football. But when a school with that kind of a following in the #1, #8, and #30 DMAs in YEAR ROUND content, that spells substantial value for any conference with a network or wanting to launch one.

Second, let’s discuss Tier 3 media values. UConn signed a contract with IMG Sports in 2010 for $80M over 10 years. In addition, New York regional sports station SNY inked a deal for Women’s Basketball only that netted UConn an additional $1.14M/yr. All total, UConn’s Tier 3 rights were valued at over $9M/yr…a figure that would put it in the upper echelon of ALL so-called "Power" 5 schools.A sampling of recently signed multimedia rights deals.

Third, apparel contracts. UConn and Nike signed a deal in 2010 that netted the school $2.775M/yr. Again, that figure ranked favorably against most Power 5 schools. UConn’s deal with Nike expires very soon (2017) and the UConn brand will surely net a substantially richer payout.http://www.bizjournals.com/portland...2/database-nike-adidas-under-armour-ncaa.html

Fourth, brand value. In 2014, UConn’s athletic department generated $72M. This figure beats #2 BYU by about $13M. This revenue is BY FAR the largest in the entire G5. UConn’s expenses (aka – its commitment to athletic success) also trumps every G5 competitor. This is all done without the luxury of having the P5 TV revenue that other grandfathered-in and inferior athletic departments enjoy. Equity in Athletics Data Analysis Cutting Tool Website

UConn’s brand, value from Tier 3 rights and apparel marketing, and sizable alumni/fanbase figures in the densely populated northeast separate it from every other Group 5 school. Actually, UConn is separated from a good number of grandfathered Power 5 schools too.

Yes because what the world needs is more UConn fans spamming every thread about how they’re #5 in New York.

Spam? No. Obviously you didn’t comprehend my point. I said Top 5 followed football program inboth NYC and Boston. There are two schools that can say that – Notre Dame and UConn. That’s it. Obviously, basketball is followed MUCH more in both cities…mostly NYC. We’ve all seen MSG taken over by UConn fans.

Don’t mistake mockery for incomprehension. I’ve seen the same out of context & misleading data flooded on multiple boards anytime conference realignment comes up. Quoting Tier 3 data when there is no consistent method in which it is calculated, going on about how you bring a market in which the B1G already has schools with a higher profile within said market and so on ad nauseam.

The B1G doesn’t care how UConn compares against BYU or G5 schools. It only cares if you meet certain bars (State Flagship, AAU membership or equivalent academic standing), are in a region it is interested in expanding it’s presence into and most importantly if you can bring enough money to the conference to increase the payout for all existing members (no your t-shirt sales don’t help). Everything we know so far suggests UConn is well below those metrics.

I get it, UConn fans are unhappy with their lot in life & desperate for a lifeline but the bottom line is that we’re just not that into you.

Football/iffy recruiting area/shifting demographics come to mind, but would be interested in other thoughts.

The biggest problem from the B1G perspective is I’m not sure UConn adds much revenue under the B1G Network model, given the presence of Rutgers.

Haha, weird to type.
But yeah, under the current subscriber model, I think it is accurate. It may become less accurate if the ala carte model takes hold.

that's only because
other than syracuse and BC, there are not major college football teams in the northeast. I live in CT and know very few people who sit at home watching UConn football on any given saturday. it just does not happen.

by LW1 on Apr 14, 2016

1 – non-aau
3 – uconn is locked between the new york city and boston tv markets, but doesn’t dominate either (i live in the boston burbs and uconn isn’t considered a local team).

hell, there are probably more maryland and penn state alumni in the new york city area than uconn alumni.

1- Non-AAU is probably the biggest (and likely only) deterrent to UConn in the B1G. I guess nothing is impossible though. The B1G just added non-AAU Notre Dame to its hockey conference and would probably be willing to waive that requirement for the right mix of schools. Oklahoma and Notre Dame football and UConn basketball type of programs. Having a conference network means you need year-round content. The more elite programs that are in your conference and on your conference network means money. But yes, AAUhas been a strict requirement in the past and UConn is not AAU…yet.

2 – UConn football has been pretty successful despite being a young program. I get your point, you like tradition. But I will ask you what is more intriguing to you: a program like Rutgers who has lost for over 100 years or a young program like UConn who has already been to 6 bowls and has more players in the NFL than any other G5 school?

3- This is not fact. This is your opinion. UConn is covered pretty routinely in the Boston Globe. UConn players were invited to throw out the ceremonial first pitch at Fenway after winning championship #4 (mostly because Shabazz Napier is from the Boston burbs). UConn players were also invited to throw out the ceremonial first pitch at Fenway after championship #3 too. UConn has over 15K alumni in Boston and is a very quick 45 minute – 1 hour drive from Storrs. UConn fans routinely took over Conte Forum in the 90s for games against Boston College (which is probably why BC has politicked so hard to keep them out of theACC) and most recently, a game at TD Bank Garden against Gonzaga about 5 years ago. The Red Sox just offered the upcoming November UConn/BC football game be played at Fenway, knowing the large number of UConn fans that will be at the game, but BC declined.

NYC alumni – Penn State has a huge alumni presence in NYC. No question about that. I have no idea how many Maryland alums are in NYC but I do know that UConn has over 30K alumni in NYC. That’s a very high number. But here’s where the edge shifts significantly into UConn’s favor: part of the NYC DMA extends into Connecticut’s "Gold Coast" where there are obviously many more UConn alumni and non-alumni fans. Google any FCC coverage map and you will see the majority of NYC local stations extend into Connecticut. At worst, this means secondary subscriber rates for a BTN. At best, primary rates. If UConn has smart people working on its behalf (and I think they do), they would market the fact that UConn can bring secondary subscriber rates in NYC and Boston and primary in Hartford/New Haven. You add all of that up, and that is a financial swoon for the conference.

by DooleyMcStitch reply

couple of points
if the new york city metropolitan area includes north jersey and long island, there are a shitload of maryland alumni in the area.

in terms of the boston media market, uconn < boston college: and boston college isn’t exactly in the spotlight. boston (like new york) is a pro-sports town. and boston already has btn (at least on verizon fios, which i have).

lastly, in terms of uconn football, let me just remind you of this. after getting into the bcs following the 2010 season, the huskies flew to phoenix w/ their head coach randy edsall negotiating w/ kevin anderson to take the maryland job.

Atta boy Mr Boneyard....you know I believe UConn belongs somewhere in a P5 conference on whole in the biggest market hold above NYC before BC did..

Dooley - President Herbst is on the phone. She wants you at the B1G Uconn secret meeting next week.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Comments section:

UConn

Haha, weird to type.

that's only because

by LW1 on Apr 14, 2016

1 – non-aau

by DooleyMcStitch reply

couple of points

Keep fighting the power Dooley!

Reaction Score
Keep fighting the power Dooley!

I give you a lot of credit bro, but I think it might be time to take up simpler pursuits than trying to convince internet simpletons and agenda driven trolls of UCONN's Value. Start with teaching cats calculus, counting to infinity, or trying to turn toilet water into champagne. If you can master those you might have a chance of changing the mind of some UMD or RU Lunkhead.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I give you a lot of credit bro, but I think it might be time to take up simpler pursuits than trying to convince internet simpletons and agenda driven trolls of UCONN's Value. Start with teaching cats calculus, counting to infinity, or trying to turn toilet water into champagne. If you can master those you might have a chance of changing the mind of some UMD or RU Lunkhead.

There are a few fanbases out there that the majority of them (not all) will insist that the sky is green if it meant that they didn't have to get off their chair, go outside, and open their eyes. RU and MD happen to be two of those fanbases.

Reaction Score
There's a difference between Big Ten alumni and fanbases. The alumni of various schools want UConn. Fan who never went to any of the schools are obviously confused and short-sighted.

Their presidents and commissioner know of us very well by now.

Reaction Score
There's a difference between Big Ten alumni and fanbases. The alumni of various schools want UConn. Fan who never went to any of the schools are obviously confused and short-sighted.

Their presidents and commissioner know of us very well by now.

Its not so much alumni vs non affiliated fans. It is more school specific than anything else IMO. A lot of Rutgers Fans, much like BC before them, see conference affiliation as their only advantage over a school like UCONN. The Huskies have proven that even with a competitive disadvantage they can get results. What would happen if suddenly the playing field was leveled?

Now for UMD Fans, all I can gather is that UCONN with stronger basketball is viewed as a threat to their future conference success. A UCONN Membership in The B1G would immediately steal some shine from their own inclusion in the conference. I think a lot of UMD Fans who felt minimized by Duke and UNC in The ACC, look at The B1G as a fresh start. UCONN Membership pushes them further down in the conference's pecking order. A tough pill to swallow for Terp Fans.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Its not so much alumni vs non affiliated fans. It is more school specific than anything else IMO. A lot of Rutgers Fans, much like BC before them, see conference affiliation as their only advantage over a school like UCONN. The Huskies have proven that even with a competitive disadvantage they can get results. What would happen if suddenly the playing field was leveled?

Now for UMD Fans, all I can gather is that UCONN with stronger basketball is viewed as a threat to their future conference success. A UCONN Membership in The B1G would immediately steal some shine from their own inclusion in the conference. I think a lot of UMD Fans who felt minimized by Duke and UNC in The ACC, look at The B1G as a fresh start. UCONN Membership pushes them further down in the conference's pecking order. A tough pill to swallow for Terp Fans.

You hit the nail on the head. Plus, the fact that nobody in the ACC, even the original ACC, saw them as their biggest rival.

There are those of us within ACC fanbases, particularly Carolina and Duke, who'd see UConn as nothing but an upside for the league. How Swofford was unable to sell that vision to the rest is disappointing.

Hopefully, you sou will still get the chaqnce to join.

Reaction Score

I get that while Maryland was in the ACC, they did not have any primary rivals, but they did have some secondary rivals. And this seemed to work okay enough when there were just seven or eight teams in the ACC. Even when Florida St. joined, and they were getting pasted in football, they held their own in other sports. But things starting changing in the latest rounds of expansions. What secondary rivalries they did have seemed to diminish. There were certainly financial issues, and the Big Ten was apparently interested, and, in my opinion, Maryland is more like the current institutions in the Big Ten than the current ACC. It seemed the right time for a change.

This didn't mean that Maryland gained any primary rivalries. Maybe they will with Rutgers in the future. Frankly, I would like UConn in the Big Ten, because I think that could develop into an excellent rivalry. Even though UConn's WBB would dominate, I would enjoy the challenge it brings. I don't know how most other Maryland fans view UConn, nor the AD and administration, as a potential conference mate. I can't imagine Maryland opposing UConn admission if the other schools support admission. If so, it would be a mistake to let a new member dictate conference membership. I still cannot believe the ACC apparently let BC do just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom