Napheesa Only Remaining UConn Husky For Wade Trophy | The Boneyard

Napheesa Only Remaining UConn Husky For Wade Trophy

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Aaaarrrrggghhh! Who whittles these things down? Isn't it a requirement to ACTUALLY KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT THE GAME? How about SOME analysis be performed by these Yahoo's. Mitchell and Wilson, while fine players, are not of the same caliber as Gabby or KLS. There's no "D" in Kelsey Mitchell's name or game. She is the quintessential "chucker" and Wilson was outplayed in the head to head with UConn and her stats are not quite that elite and I would "yet", as she is very good). Both have gotten here on name reputation, not on actual game when compared to Plum, Collier, Williams or KLS.

Ok, I feel better now.

HGN

Reaction Score
She may , or , may not win it. But no player has been more valuable to there team's successful season than Naphessa. And no player has carried their team to the top of the rankings with their play , and kept them there , like Phee.

Drops the mike.

Reaction Score
C7nrWwOWsAAeJrf.jpg

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
She may , or , may not win it. But no player has been more valuable to there team's successful season than Naphessa. And no player has carried their team to the top of the rankings with their play , and kept them there , like Phee.

Drops the mike.

????? If you were to make a case that Collier is the best player of the bunch I would not argue, but the case you are making instead is puzzling. The first game after Nurse goes down we almost go down as well to Tulane. Though I think Collier is a better all around player than Nurse I don't think the adjustment would have been as great with her loss. Collier is the great finisher, perhaps the greatest in the land, but she's not the greatest facilitator by any means.

Take Plum off the W. Huskies mid-season and you seriously think they would be impacted less by her loss than a team that still has Williams, Nurse and Samuelson? Seriously?

If you are advocating for Collier thinking the award should go to the best player, preach on brother! Trying to establish Collier as the most essential is an insult to Nurse, Williams, Samuelson .... and Plum.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Drops the mike.
Before you drop the mic! see @diggerfoot post.
Collier will not win this award because Kelsey Plum has a season for the ages and deserves to win the award. UCONN got to the top of the polls after the Baylor win in the second week of the season and stayed there. By your description " No player has carried their team to the top of the rankings with their play , and kept them there , like Phee" I could just a easily insert Gabby-who is no longer in contention for this award. Plum will and deserves to win this award because she had the best season.

Reaction Score
Before you drop the mic! see @diggerfoot post.
Collier will not win this award because Kelsey Plum has a season for the ages and deserves to win the award. UCONN got to the top of the polls after the Baylor win in the second week of the season and stayed there. By your description " No player has carried their team to the top of the rankings with their play , and kept them there , like Phee" I could just a easily insert Gabby-who is no longer in contention for this award. Plum will and deserves to win this award because she had the best season.
I agree, particularly since it's Plum's last year and Napheessa has more time to earn the award.

Reaction Score
I agree, particularly since it's Plum's last year and Napheessa has more time to earn the award.
Agree-however next year she will be have 4 strong candidates to beat out-Azura, Gabulous, Lou, and Kia:)

Any player that can crack the starting lineup for UCONN next year is automatically on the Pre-Season Wade Watchlist!! An embarrassment of riches:)

HGN

Reaction Score
????? If you were to make a case that Collier is the best player of the bunch I would not argue, but the case you are making instead is puzzling. The first game after Nurse goes down we almost go down as well to Tulane. Though I think Collier is a better all around player than Nurse I don't think the adjustment would have been as great with her loss. Collier is the great finisher, perhaps the greatest in the land, but she's not the greatest facilitator by any means.

Take Plum off the W. Huskies mid-season and you seriously think they would be impacted less by her loss than a team that still has Williams, Nurse and Samuelson? Seriously?

If you are advocating for Collier thinking the award should go to the best player, preach on brother! Trying to establish Collier as the most essential is an insult to Nurse, Williams, Samuelson .... and Plum.
The way this team is built taking away anyone of the 4 could be devastating......My only point is that Phee and Gabby are playing out of position. Phee no more than Gabby but Phee has made the biggest jump points wise. And she plays offense against much bigger players and shoots at a 67% clip. As an under-sized post.

No dis-respect meant to the other players.

Reaction Score
Pheesa is a wonderful person as well, and with 2 years left in college, the sky is the limit, so not to make this a comparison. But Plum is a complete joy to behold as a player and a person. She's a great, great leader who leads by performance. She really is a transcendent player at this point. If I could watch only one college player play a game this year, it'd be her.

Reaction Score
What;s going to happen next year when Williams, Stevens, Samuelson, Collier, and Nurse all could legitimately win the award? There is little doubt they are going to steal votes from each other, but I am pretty sure the only thing they really care about winning is another NC.

Reaction Score

I am a big KLS fan as most of you on the Boneyard might know by now but taking KLS out of the equation, as much as I love Napheesa and what she means to this team, I feel that Gabby has contributed more to the Huskies success. We are quite lucky that we've got so many weapons and they all work together for this team's success but I think Gabby's absence would be the most harmful to this team's success.

Reaction Score
KLS is far superior to Wilson. Shocked she's still listed as a finalist. Lou's numbers were better in every conceivable way, except for rebounding, which is to be expected.
I'm stunned that so many people obsess about Wilson and I think it's shameful that a lot of better players are overlooked. There are a lot of people that vote for some of these awards without any real sense of what the reality is. They seemingly just phone it in.

Reaction Score
The way this team is built taking away anyone of the 4 could be devastating.My only point is that Phee and Gabby are playing out of position. Phee no more than Gabby but Phee has made the biggest jump points wise. And she plays offense against much bigger players and shoots at a 67% clip. As an under-sized post.

No dis-respect meant to the other players.
In actuality, being smaller and quicker is a big advantage for Pheesa. She is quick to get off her feet and she is on a team with a variety of weapons, meaning she's not necessarily the specific focus of other teams. Her quickness in garnering rebounds for put backs and having teammates that are so adept at interior passing sure help out a bit. She obviously deserves a great deal of credit and works hard, play after play but as mentioned, her size actually probably is a plus, not a minus.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
In actuality, being smaller and quicker is a big advantage for Pheesa. She is quick to get off her feet and she is on a team with a variety of weapons, meaning she's not necessarily the specific focus of other teams. Her quickness in garnering rebounds for put backs and having teammates that are so adept at interior passing sure help out a bit. She obviously deserves a great deal of credit and works hard, play after play but as mentioned, her size actually probably is a plus, not a minus.
It would not matter if she was the focus of other teams. They could not stop her. If any one player on the team is stopped, there are three to four other players who step up.
Again, Plum's trophy to lose. I'm so glad and it's a high honor that Pheese was nominated and is a finalist. However, UConn has her for 2 more years so it's all good.
Don't be so sure. She may graduate in two years and go hardship. Yes, the rules are going to change. Don't you believe me?

Reaction Score
I am happy that Napheesa is getting the recognition she deserves. She is a heckuva scorer, defender and impact player. Much of her offense does not come from plays designed to get her a shot. A lot of people feel as though KLS is the best player on the team but I disagree. UCONN does not go undefeated if Napheesa or even Gabby goes for a 5-6 game slump.

As mentioned above, Plum has had a transcendent career with a season that is literally record breaking in every way. Plum will win the Wade and the Naismith trophies.

I think the committee got the finalist selections correct. OSU is carried by K.Mitchell, USC is nowhere without Wilson. UW is carried by Plum.

The finalist list is a great honor to the ladies who made it. The finalist list recognizes the overall contributions made to their team's success for the year (arguably recognition for contribution through a career).

No one other than Plum was ever going to win the trophy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom