Napheesa Only Remaining UConn Husky For Wade Trophy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Napheesa Only Remaining UConn Husky For Wade Trophy

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm stunned that so many people obsess about Wilson and I think it's shameful that a lot of better players are overlooked. There are a lot of people that vote for some of these awards without any real sense of what the reality is. They seemingly just phone it in.
Osahors #'s are better than Wilsons.
Totally agree with both of you. Voters finally got hip to the fact that Turner's (ND) numbers are way down and she's not deserving, but somehow, either thru inertia, ignorance, or publicity, Wilson somehow continues to be bandied about as one of the "top 4" in the nation. She's simply not, and it's not even close. There are numerous players much more deserving of nomination to the highest honor in WCBB. It's really unfortunate.

Reaction Score
Totally agree with both of you. Voters finally got hip to the fact that Turner's (ND) numbers are way down and she's not deserving, but somehow, either thru inertia, ignorance, or publicity, Wilson somehow continues to be bandied about as one of the "top 4" in the nation. She's simply not, and it's not even close. There are numerous players much more deserving of nomination to the highest honor in WCBB. It's really unfortunate.
It should all become clear once the NCAA Tournament is completetd

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It would not matter if she was the focus of other teams. They could not stop her. If any one player on the team is stopped, there are three to four other players who step up.

Don't be so sure. She may graduate in two years and go hardship. Yes, the rules are going to change. Don't you believe me?
Yep. However that bridge you sold me won't even recognize my EZ Pass.

Reaction Score
Seems Odd that KLS is a final four for Naismith award...but not for Wade... I suppose different voters, different criteria??? But Wilson????@?@?@

Reaction Score
The way this team is built taking away anyone of the 4 could be devastating.My only point is that Phee and Gabby are playing out of position. Phee no more than Gabby but Phee has made the biggest jump points wise. And she plays offense against much bigger players and shoots at a 67% clip. As an under-sized post.

No dis-respect meant to the other players.
Completely agree...and at different times during the year it was different players who "carried" the team...and/or were the primary contributors to a particular game/games win... This is a Team with great chemistry that works together, plays together and most importantly wins together.

Reaction Score
KLS is far superior to Wilson. Shocked she's still listed as a finalist. Lou's numbers were better in every conceivable way, except for rebounding, which is to be expected.
And blocks. And points per shot. KLS may indeed be better but statistically it's pretty close.

Reaction Score
How many people go 10-10 from behind the arc in a game? Oh wait... she is not on the list but WILSON is???!?!?!?!??!?!

Reaction Score
Here is a spreadsheet analysis of the Wade and Naismith candidates from before the tournament. I used equal weighting score for all categories. Feel free to make up your own weighting for PPG, Blks, Stls and Asst to yield and overall rank.

I've been playing around with it and dependent upon the weight and ranking of each category yields different results.
The difficulty lies in how to effectively compare value of a guard to that of a forward or center.

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 10.07.56 PM.png

Is scoring the end all be all? Scoring/Assists? Scoring/Blocks? You decide.

Again I equally weighted each category. My reasoning is that equally weight for all 5 categories eliminates a bias towards a particular position.

Have fun [Yes Osahor's numbers are better than Wilson :) ]

Reaction Score
What;s going to happen next year when Williams, Stevens, Samuelson, Collier, and Nurse all could legitimately win the award? There is little doubt they are going to steal votes from each other, but I am pretty sure the only thing they really care about winning is another NC.
Should we start this now: UConn can only nominate 3 for WBCA AA. Which 3?

Reaction Score
Hopefully two or three of our current players get AA this year (Napheesa, KLS, Gabby).
Thereby allowing for two or three to get it next year (Nurse, Stevens, Dangerfield). You get the drift.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Agree-however next year she will be have 4 strong candidates to beat out-Azura, Gabulous, Lou, and Kia:)

Any player that can crack the starting lineup for UCONN next year is automatically on the Pre-Season Wade Watchlist!! An embarrassment of riches:)
And Crystal and Meg could be on the midseason list. ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I love our kids, and at least one of them could be the NPOY in a future season, but Kelsey Plum has had a season for the ages. She broke the NCAA single-season AND career scoring records. Not only that, she has led her team to a top 10 ranking and at least Sweet Sixteen berth. This should be an easy choice.

Reaction Score
I love our kids, and at least one of them could be the NPOY in a future season, but Kelsey Plum has had a season for the ages. She broke the NCAA single-season AND career scoring records. Not only that, she has led her team to a top 10 ranking and at least Sweet Sixteen berth. This should be an easy choice.

Yes....but....does she have defensive stats? It's easy to score a lot of points when you're the star on an ok team. The award should go to the best overall player, not just the best scorer. I'm torn. My heart says Plum because her scoring has been phenomenal, but my head says Napheesa because her overall game is better.

Reaction Score
Here is a spreadsheet analysis of the Wade and Naismith candidates from before the tournament. I used equal weighting score for all categories. Feel free to make up your own weighting for PPG, Blks, Stls and Asst to yield and overall rank.

I've been playing around with it and dependent upon the weight and ranking of each category yields different results.
The difficulty lies in how to effectively compare value of a guard to that of a forward or center.

View attachment 21070

Is scoring the end all be all? Scoring/Assists? Scoring/Blocks? You decide.

Again I equally weighted each category. My reasoning is that equally weight for all 5 categories eliminates a bias towards a particular position.

Have fun [Yes Osahor's numbers are better than Wilson :) ]

To be fair we are talking about almost 20pts a game difference, not a small margin in scoring. 20pts more is another star player scoring (KLS, Pheese, etc...)

Reaction Score
I'm not following what you mean Los24. "20pts a game difference..." who/what are you comparing to whom?

Reaction Score
Yes....but....does she have defensive stats? It's easy to score a lot of points when you're the star on an ok team. The award should go to the best overall player, not just the best scorer. I'm torn. My heart says Plum because her scoring has been phenomenal, but my head says Napheesa because her overall game is better.
I agree completely. Somehow defense gets lost in these awards. I know the "great" Basketball coaches place equal emphasis on defense and offense. The sports media does not.

Reaction Score
Remember, we had NO preseason All Americans. Which, to my mind, makes this undefeated season even sweeter. Can't we just be delighted that we have no less than 3 of our own on so many elite lists? And that, in a season which was supposed to be a transition season, we have a national championship within our grasp?

Reaction Score
Agree-however next year she will be have 4 strong candidates to beat out-Azura, Gabulous, Lou, and Kia:)

Any player that can crack the starting lineup for UCONN next year is automatically on the Pre-Season Wade Watchlist!! An embarrassment of riches:)
You are right, that will be quite a group of players on UCONN next year. Hard to imagine who will be the best. Maybe they should give out an award for the best team at the end of the year! Uuuuuuuuuuuuh...... never mind. :D

Reaction Score
Kelsey Plum deserves the award. Washington wouldn't even be on the map without her. On the other hand, without Napheesa UConn would still be competitive, although not for the National Championship. Wilson and Mitchell are overrated.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom