Naismith candidates midterm--who belongs? Who doesn't? | The Boneyard

Naismith candidates midterm--who belongs? Who doesn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
25 candidates.. Stewie, Mighty Mite and Morgan are on the list and no one can seriously doubt they belong so no need to spend much time debating that. But what about the others. Coates, Wison and Mitchell also on the list. IMO Wilson deserves to be on the list but not Mitchell and Coates. Great players play big in big games . Coates and Mitchell didn't. Courtney Williams belongs. She plays big almost every game and had agreat game against us..some others are questionable such as Epps, Allen, Shepard,Stevens are all good but not legimate candidates for NPOY. Also Turner gets a lot of press but she has been very up and down this year. Thoughts?

Reaction Score
2016 Mid-season team for the Naismith Women’s College Player of the Year Award
Published on February 10, 2016
  • Lindsay Allen, Notre Dame
  • Jillian Alleyne, Oregon
  • Ameryst Alston, Ohio State
  • Kristine Anigwe, California
  • Rachel Banham, Minnesota
  • Imani Boyette, Texas
  • Jordin Canada, UCLA
  • Alaina Coates, South Carolina
  • Nina Davis, Baylor
  • Makayla Epps, Kentucky
  • Aliyyah Handford, St. John’s
  • Moriah Jefferson, Connecticut
  • Chanise Jenkins, DePaul
  • Niya Johnson, Baylor
  • Jonquel Jones, George Washington
  • Brionna Jones, Maryland
  • Brittney Martin, Oklahoma State
  • Tiffany Mitchell, South Carolina
  • Kelsey Mitchell, Ohio State
  • Kelsey Plum, Washington
  • Aerial Powers, Michigan State
  • Shereesha Richards, Albany
  • Tabatha Richardson-Smith, Seton Hall
  • Jessica Shephard, Nebraska
  • Azurá Stevens, Duke
  • Breanna Stewart, Connecticut
  • Morgan Tuck, Connecticut
  • Brianna Turner, Notre Dame
  • Victoria Vivians, Mississippi State
  • Courtney Walker, Texas A&M
  • Shatori Walker-Kimbrough, Maryland
  • Jamie Weisner, Oregon State
  • Courtney Williams, South Florida
  • A’ja Wilson, South Carolina
  • http://www.hoopfeed.com/content/201...mith-womens-college-player-of-the-year-award/

Reaction Score
25 candidates.. Stewie, Mighty Mite and Morgan are on the list and no one can seriously doubt they belong so no need to spend much time debating that. But what about the others. Coates, Wison and Mitchell also on the list. IMO Wilson deserves to be on the list but not Mitchell and Coates. Great players play big in big games . Coates and Mitchell didn't. Courtney Williams belongs. She plays big almost every game and had agreat game against us..some others are questionable such as Epps, Allen, Shepard,Stevens are all good but not legimate candidates for NPOY. Also Turner gets a lot of press but she has been very up and down this year. Thoughts?

Is there a link to a mid term list? Here are some names.....Jillian Alleyne, Rachel Banham, Brittney Martin, Aerial Powers.....Jonquel Jones from GW but I think she has missed the last few games.

Edit.....and Kaizen just posted the list.....thanks!

Reaction Score
2016 Nancy Lieberman Award Finalists

Kelsey Minato, Army

Niya Johnson, Baylor

Moriah Jefferson, Connecticut

Jessica January, DePaul

April Robinson, Duquesne

Brene Moseley, Maryland

Lindsay Allen, Notre Dame

Kelsey Mitchell, Ohio State

Jasmine Nwajel, Wagner

Kelsey Plum, Washington

Reaction Score
Stewie had this award locked up after 5 games of this season. They are just going through the motions.
These lists are always nonsense, never more so than this year. There's rarely more than a couple on the list who even have a dim chance of winning, but this year there's only one. There are also a lot of players on the list who are very overrated, this year is no exception. I haven't seen all of the players on this list, but at the top of my overrated list would be Coates followed closely by Alston and Shephard.

Reaction Score
IMO Stewie, Moriah, Wilson, and Kelsey Mitchell are the Top 4, in that order. Is there a fifth?

Tuck took Wilson's lunch money, then took Coates' lunch money (AND gave her a swirlie AND sent her home with an Atomic Wedgie to boot), but in all honesty, she's not in the final 5. Too much time resting that knee. No dig on her, it's just what is.

Let's not judge Coates on that one game, she is one heck of a player; she just ran into a buzzsaw in Tuck. Still, she's not Top 5 caliber. It's hard to put ANYONE UConn has played as a top candidate, since they all have been taken to the woodshed.

Niya Johnson? No, not in the same league as the other four. Neither are Turner and Allen from ND, or Walker-Kimbrough from MD. I frankly can't identify another player who I see belonging with those 4.

Among the 4, Mitchell has the biggest stats, as the others all have to share. However, stats aren't everything, and her game is loaded with extremes, both good and bad. Wilson can be dominant, but has been dominated, so she is out. Methinks they will fight it out for this award, next season. That leaves the teammates.

Poor Moriah. Always the bridesmaid. I'm glad she handles that job far better than Loyd did.

Reaction Score
IMO Stewie, Moriah, Wilson, and Kelsey Mitchell are the Top 4, in that order. Is there a fifth?

Tuck took Wilson's lunch money, then took Coates' lunch money (AND gave her a swirlie AND sent her home with an Atomic Wedgie to boot), but in all honesty, she's not in the final 5. Too much time resting that knee. No dig on her, it's just what is.

Let's not judge Coates on that one game, she is one heck of a player; she just ran into a buzzsaw in Tuck. Still, she's not Top 5 caliber. It's hard to put ANYONE UConn has played as a top candidate, since they all have been taken to the woodshed.

Niya Johnson? No, not in the same league as the other four. Neither are Turner and Allen from ND, or Walker-Kimbrough from MD. I frankly can't identify another player who I see belonging with those 4.

Among the 4, Mitchell has the biggest stats, as the others all have to share. However, stats aren't everything, and her game is loaded with extremes, both good and bad. Wilson can be dominant, but has been dominated, so she is out. Methinks they will fight it out for this award, next season. That leaves the teammates.

Poor Moriah. Always the bridesmaid. I'm glad she handles that job far better than Loyd did.
I think the reality is that neither Moriah or Stewie is concerned about whether they are NPOY. They are totally focused on winning one game at a time, culminating in the NC game. Whoever wins, there will be a case made for each of the four you mention. It is sort of like the MVP in baseball: the best player is not necessarily the most valuable team player. All in all it is such a subjective process that I think our two and Geno do not agonize over who it will go to. I recall when DT was not the NPOY but instead Alana Beard of Duke, speaking of an injustice. But I do not recall any comment from Geno about that slight. But he does talk about that team and what DT meant to it and their NC. So, lets speculate, but not get too worked up since to the two most probable choices it is not the important thing. My wish would be Moriah, but since she did not get MVP of the last NC game, then I doubt she will be voted #1 ahead of Stewie this year either.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
These lists are always nonsense, never more so than this year. There's rarely more than a couple on the list who even have a dim chance of winning, but this year there's only one. There are also a lot of players on the list who are very overrated, this year is no exception. I haven't seen all of the players on this list, but at the top of my overrated list would be Coates followed closely by Alston and Shephard.
I agree with you mostly but also not fair to judge players by how they play just against UCONN either. Coates played poorly against UCONN she has played well against other mortal teams. If UCONN were the standard Mabrey 2.0 would be on the top list and player of the year.
Jonquel Jones might be among top 5 player in the country.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Wilson has also missed games (3) resting her leg. Basketball is a team sport, Moriah is no bridesmaid.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I'm wondering if Moriah will win the Dawn Staley Award this year or will they again award it to Tiffany Mitchell who plays for Dawn.

Reaction Score
It seems that the voters (pundits, some coaches, etc.) realize that UConn can not be defeated ON THE COURT. So they do the next best thing (in their minds) and subjectively choose players from other teams to overshadow UConn. IMO LLoyd was chosen in that vein, Mitchell for SC, and I am sure other posters can think of more.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
I agree with you mostly but also not fair to judge players by how they play just against UCONN either. Coates played poorly against UCONN she has played well against other mortal teams. If UCONN were the standard Mabrey 2.0 would be on the top list and player of the year.
Jonquel Jones might be among top 5 player in the country.

Nice thoughts...but UCONN is the standard and if you cannot produce against the likes of our starting five how can you be considered the best player in the country the NPY? Coates is a good player, with help she will be a great WNBA player, belongs on a list of 25, but let's not roll out the carpet any further than that (farther? Kib...help)

Little Mabrey should be on this list and the reason Courtney Williams will stay on the list is bc of her consistent play against the best...the gold standard.

However, Im a true believer that the entire world already knows this award can only go to one candidate...and there hasn't even been one game where another candidate even come close to Stewie this year (although that Kelsey holy moley can she play!)

Of course, we continue to stay very opinionated here in the yard and lists like this are put out with us in mind I'm 100% convinced lmao

Reaction Score

SENIORS (17)

• Jillian Alleyne, Oregon
  • Ameryst Alston, Ohio State
  • Rachel Banham, Minnesota
  • Imani Boyette, Texas
  • Aliyyah Handford, St. John’s
  • Moriah Jefferson, Connecticut
  • Chanise Jenkins, DePaul
  • Niya Johnson, Baylor
  • Jonquel Jones, George Washington
  • Brittney Martin, Oklahoma State
  • Tiffany Mitchell, South Carolina
  • Shereesha Richards, Albany
  • Tabatha Richardson-Smith, Seton Hall
  • Breanna Stewart, Connecticut
  • Courtney Walker, Texas A&M
  • Jamie Weisner, Oregon State
  • Courtney Williams, South Florida
JUNIORS (9)
  • Lindsay Allen, Notre Dame
  • Alaina Coates, South Carolina
  • Nina Davis, Baylor
  • Makayla Epps, Kentucky
  • Brionna Jones, Maryland
  • Kelsey Plum, Washington
  • Aerial Powers, Michigan State
  • Morgan Tuck, Connecticut
  • Shatori Walker-Kimbrough, Maryland
SOPHS (6)
  • Jordin Canada, UCLA
  • Kelsey Mitchell, Ohio State
  • Azurá Stevens, Duke
  • Brianna Turner, Notre Dame
  • Victoria Vivians, Mississippi State
  • A’ja Wilson, South Carolina
FROSH (2)
  • Kristine Anigwe, California
  • Jessica Shephard, Nebraska

BiG10 7, SEC 6, PAC 5, B12 4, AAC 4, ACC 3, BgE 3, A10 1, AEast 1

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Nice thoughts...but UCONN is the standard and if you cannot produce against the likes of our starting five how can you be considered the best player in the country the NPY? Coates is a good player, with help she will be a great WNBA player, belongs on a list of 25, but let's not roll out the carpet any further than that (farther? Kib...help)

Little Mabrey should be on this list and the reason Courtney Williams will stay on the list is bc of her consistent play against the best...the gold standard.

However, Im a true believer that the entire world already knows this award can only go to one candidate...and there hasn't even been one game where another candidate even come close to Stewie this year (although that Kelsey holy moley can she play!)

Of course, we continue to stay very opinionated here in the yard and lists like this are put out with us in mind I'm 100% convinced lmao
Wilson has also missed games (3) resting her leg. Basketball is a team sport, Moriah is no bridesmaid.
Coco I have to agree with CBear 01 here. It's not merely playing this tough starting five and against this masterclass coach. It's the significance of the moment and UCONN's ongoing heritage. In many ways teams and players are playing all those other UCONN teams, and the massive weight all that involves, of all these things crushes them. Those who rise to the occasion against the Huskies are very special then indeed.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Nice thoughts...but UCONN is the standard and if you cannot produce against the likes of our starting five how can you be considered the best player in the country the NPY?
So at this rate who will the UCONN players be judged against? Last year Moriah Jefferson went into ND and came away scoreless in 11 shot attempts. She still managed to make 1st Team AA and win the Liberman award. Any one game may be an anamoly, a bad game against UCONN is to be expected, judge Coates on her entire season, like they did for Moriah last year.

Little Mabrey should be on this list

Surely you jest. If you watched more than just UCONN play you will realize that Maybrey 2.0 playing time and numbers has been decreasing steadily and she is no longer even the first Freshmen guard coming off the ND bench. This is one of the most prestigious NATIONAL POY award we are talking about here, not the best player in the one college basketball game you happened to have watched this year. Hint; If you are looking for another ND guards name to seriously consider for this list try Cable.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco I have to agree with CBear 01 here. It's not merely playing this tough starting five and against this masterclass coach. It's the significance of the moment and UCONN's ongoing heritage. In many ways teams and players are playing all those other UCONN teams, and the massive weight all that involves, of all these things crushes them. Those who rise to the occasion against the Huskies are very special then indeed.
Always dangerous to draw conclusions from 1 game and against UCONN. I'm not saying completely discount play against UCONN, just that you might want to check out how that player did in other NON UCONN games. Kind of like evaluating other coaches against Geno-everyone else comes up short right?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Hmmmm....who's missing from this list? Someone sparkly and orange perhaps? :p;)
Imani Boyette can be sparkly at times and she wears burnt orange, is that who you had in mind? :cool:

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Stewie swept swept everything last season and won the Naismith (among three other NPOY awards: AP, Honda, USBWA) in 2014 as well. Unless you're just tired of seeing Stewie playing like the best nationally, this is a year to vote for her if you have a vote. She's just so duck*ing good on offense and defense, and if basketball had special teams like football does, she'd be great at all three phases of her sport.

It's a given that she will win at least some of the NPOY awards from this season after having 10 aggregate awards already. The only question is whether she'll leave Storrs with 11 total or with 16. Her name and the year 2016 are being added to the NPOY winners section of Gampel along with Maya over three seasons in a row- that is inevitable.

Reaction Score
How is Tuck's chances of being in the the top ten so she can get her name on the wall?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
How is Tuck's chances of being in the the top ten so she can get her name on the wall?

I'd guess she will be a 2nd team All-American. If she doesn't make either the 1st or 2nd team, that's a travesty.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She has a good chance of being in the top 5 or First Team AA. Almost a lock to be in top 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom