More injuries in WBB (merged) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

More injuries in WBB (merged)

Reaction Score
Torn ACL

Feel bad for Kitley but this would’ve been known in a day or two of it happening, which means the committee could’ve/should’ve had this info. Pretty lame that it didn’t.
(I assume they didn’t since VT without barely beat a Miami team that didn’t even make the field, and got stomped by ND, showing they weren’t even a top 20 team.)

IF the committee is going to say that injuries matter, they need to crack down on this lack of info.

Reaction Score
The season has officially been ruined by injuries. Has there ever been a season when more stars have been sidelined, mostly with ACL tears? Azzi, Rori, Olivia, now Kitley. All American level talent. So few top teams have avoided losing a top player for the season it’s so unfair. Hate it hate it hate it.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Feel bad for Kitley but this would’ve been known in a day or two of it happening, which means the committee could’ve/should’ve had this info. Pretty lame that it didn’t.
(I assume they didn’t since VT without barely beat a Miami team that didn’t even make the field, and got stomped by ND, showing they weren’t even a top 20 team.)

IF the committee is going to say that injuries matter, they need to crack down on this lack of info.
I agree, as that's what was done many a year ago, however with the privacy & HIPAA challenges, there's no obligation to release anything. With the lack of info, the committee could seed the teams as if the player is coming back, however does it either give them an easier road up front, or it provides the opportunity for an early upset?? Conversely, if they assume the player is out for the tourney, if they seed them lower, it makes the journey harder. I might have just confused myself. LOL

Reaction Score
I feel bad for Kitley, especially since this is her 5th yr, but VT had to know this before today. It doesn't take 18 days to diagnose a torn ACL. I wish the NCAA had some sort of recourse to penalize teams that withhold injury information. I know between both the mens and womens tournaments that VT is not the only one to have done this.

Reaction Score
Not sure why people this Virginia Tech deserved lower than a 4 seed? They won the ACC outright. Seeding should be just as much about what you accomplished than what you are projected to accomplish due to an injury.

Reaction Score
I agree, as that's what was done many a year ago, however with the privacy & HIPAA challenges, there's no obligation to release anything.

1) Playing in the tournament is a privilege not a right. If teams dont want to provide info; the committee doesnt have to select them.
2) You can release information ("she cant play") without violating HIPAA.
3) If I were the committee, I would request video of any injured player.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
1) Playing in the tournament is a privilege not a right. If teams dont want to provide info; the committee doesnt have to select them.
2) You can release information ("she cant play") without violating HIPAA.
3) If I were the committee, I would request video of any injured player.
I agree, as I hate gamesmanship for the sake of an assumed win(s), so based on my post, do you seed them where you think they should be if the player is ok? I'm running in circles with the cause and effect of doing this, or seeding them without the player available.

Hop on over to this thread and let's discuss!

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Awful news for Kitley, and her teammates.

Shame on Virginia Tech or whoever decided not to be forthcoming like 2 weeks ago that she would be out for the NCAA tournament.
To be honest, I don't blame Virginia Tech. NCAA seeding should be based on what your team has earned, not about how the committee thinks they'll perform in the tournament with or without certain players. The committee's job is to evaluate each team based on the season they've had and Kitley being available or not has zero bearing on what VT's resume looks like this season.

Reaction Score
To be honest, I don't blame Virginia Tech. NCAA seeding should be based on what your team has earned, not about how the committee thinks they'll perform in the tournament with or without certain players. The committee's job is to evaluate each team based on the season they've had and Kitley being available or not has zero bearing on what VT's resume looks like this season.
I disagree. I think the committee should be seeding teams based on who they are at the end of the season. What they’ve done during the season and who they have available to play for the tournament should both be taken into account.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score

Except it does. The committee saw in the most recent 2.5 to 3 games how VT performed without Kitley being available to play. The loss 2 of those games which included a loss at lowly Virginia and getting routed by Notre Dame. Texas, USC, and Iowa got rewarded for winning their last 3 games on the way to conference tourney titles; that mattered to the committee as it turned out.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Brianna Scott of Georgetown was injured in the last minutes of their game against Creighton today. Could be a knee injury. She was wailing in pain on the floor; very difficult to hear. The announcers cut to a commercial.

Could be a factor in UConn's game against Georgetown tomorrow if she isn't available to play.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Except it does. The committee saw in the most recent 2.5 to 3 games how VT performed without Kitley being available to play. The loss 2 of those games which included a loss at lowly Virginia and getting routed by Notre Dame. Texas, USC, and Iowa got rewarded for winning their last 3 games on the way to conference tourney titles; that mattered to the committee as it turned out.
Yeah I guess the questions is, where would you have ranked VT if you had known about Kitley? I can definitely see them dropping from a 4 to a 5 and not getting to host anymore (to either CO or Utah's advantage), but...I can't see them falling any further.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Kitley's injury was on the FRONT page of the Greensboro newspaper this morning. First time I've ever seen anything like that before. I wish VPI well, but I picked them to lose to Baylor. Hope they prove me wrong.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Yeah I guess the questions is, where would you have ranked VT if you had known about Kitley? I can definitely see them dropping from a 4 to a 5 and not getting to host anymore (to either CO or Utah's advantage), but...I can't see them falling any further.
Today, without Kitley and with Amoore in foul trouble beginning in the 1st quarter, the other Hokies demolished Marshall and played like a 4 seed. IMO.

Reaction Score
Fair (Syracuse) just went down at the very end of Q3 in their game against Arizona. She had to be carried off into the locker room.

EDIT: whatever happened, seems like it was nothing serious. Fair has re-entered the game at 7:44 in Q4.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Today, without Kitley and with Amoore in foul trouble beginning in the 1st quarter, the other Hokies demolished Marshall and played like a 4 seed. IMO.

What about tonight versus Baylor?

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Plenty of 4 seeds lose to a 5 seed (see Colorado and Kansas St). I'm not a believer in Baylor, but given they were without their best player and All American, thought Va Tech played really tough all weekend. Sucks their season had to end this way, but all the players on the court should hold their heads up high.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom