Monday's Bracketology and Explanation | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Monday's Bracketology and Explanation

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Heck, I was surprised as well. I went to senior night, and saw our performance vs Wake Forest and was :( Honestly thought we would lose the regular season finale @ UNC by 20+, lose the opening round game in the ACC's, and winning maybe one game max in the NCAAs. Well obviously I was wrong on the first two, and I think we should advance to the Sweet 16 at least :cool:

I would go one further and say possibly Elite Eight. The FF may be a tough row to hoe at this point.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Top 50 RPI wins is nice to compare 2 bubble teams but when the topic is who is a 1 seed you need to look at how they play against the top 10 , and in that Tenn is weak.

These are the 25th-50th RPI teams:

2525SyracuseAtlantic Coast22-96-54- 112-30-0
2626Bowling GreenMid-American27-311-23- 113-00-0
2728CaliforniaPac-1221-98-32- 211-40-0
2827Oklahoma St.Big 1223-85-44- 114-30-0
2931St. John's (NY)Big East21-98-52- 011-40-0
3029DePaulBig East25-68-44- 013-20-0
3130Michigan St.Big Ten22-98-42- 212-30-0
3233Arizona St.Pac-1222-95-73- 114-10-0
3332Oregon St.Pac-1223-106-53- 413-11-0
3443FordhamAtlantic 1025-77-64- 014-10-0
3534Central Mich.Mid-American20-108-81- 211-00-0
3640Southern CaliforniaPac-1222-128-56- 18-60-0
3736Southern Miss.Conference USA24-57-40- 015-12-0
3835Georgia TechAtlantic Coast20-115-54- 211-40-0
3937Florida St.Atlantic Coast20-118-52- 110-50-0
4039BYUWest Coast25-511-31- 013-20-0
4138Iowa St.Big 1220-107-42- 111-50-0
4241South Dakota St.Summit22-87-61- 214-00-0
4342VanderbiltSoutheastern18-126-60- 112-50-0
4444MinnesotaBig Ten20-124-73- 113-40-0
4547MaristMetro Atlantic26-611-35- 010-30-0
4649ChattanoogaSouthern28-312-23- 113-00-0
4748St. Mary's (CA)West Coast22-88-61- 013-20-0
4846GeorgiaSoutheastern20-113-82- 115-20-0
4950James MadisonColonial25-511-22- 212-10-0
5045VillanovaBig East22-811-33- 18-40-0

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-women/d1/ncaa-womens-basketball-rpi

Would anyone realistically base a 1 seed decision on victories against these teams?

How does that compare to Louisville's top 10 match-ups?

Tennessee has wins over 6, 9, 12 X 2 and 13 X 2.

Could Louisville have wins over some of those teams? Maybe...who knows...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Heck, I was surprised as well. I went to senior night, and saw our performance vs Wake Forest and was :( Honestly thought we would lose the regular season finale @ UNC by 20+, lose the opening round game in the ACC's, and winning maybe one game max in the NCAAs. Well obviously I was wrong on the first two, and I think we should advance to the Sweet 16 at least :cool:

A lot of us on the Duke page thought the same thing. Pleasant surprise to say the least

Reaction Score
Hate to say it, but this UNC group (whom I dislike on the gut level...and find my distaste for them hard to understand), is going to be hard to beat when they are seniors. For now...OK...but they will improve and the raw talent is just sick.
I think when you think of North Carolina, you've got to talk less about the athletes and more about the coaching. They've had scads of talent year after year after year but what they've never been known for is a team that plays "team" basketball. They are typically playground type players who are selfish and don't or can't interact with their teammates for the good of the team. I'm not sure why things would change over the next couple of years.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If i'm correct Louisville is 0-3 in top 10 matchups this year, and 0-4 after tonight. Number 1 seed numbers if you ask me:rolleyes:

They are the OBVIOUS fourth #1 seed without a doubt.

Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology

Charlie Creme Column: http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...hip-week-produces-plenty-bracketology-changes

Stanford still have the easiest bracket. Duke may have played ND tough, but no way are they competitive enough to reach the Final Four, never mind the elite 8.

While I think Geno's team is too strong defensively, don't like North Carolina in the bracket. They're a dangerous 4 seed.
I'm as confused as hell. Is this the actual brackets for the women's tournament or is this some guys idea as to what it'll look like????? I would think that it'd be hard to actually make brackets while there's still games or at least a game left. I know it won't happen but what if Louisville did beat the Huskies. Wouldn't that influence their possible placement in the tournament? Yet, for these brackets to be posted now by ESPN would suggest that it's already a done deal. So what is it????? Help me, guys (and gals).

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'm as confused as hell. Is this the actual brackets for the women's tournament or is this some guys idea as to what it'll look like????? I would think that it'd be hard to actually make brackets while there's still games or at least a game left. I know it won't happen but what if Louisville did beat the Huskies. Wouldn't that influence their possible placement in the tournament? Yet, for these brackets to be posted now by ESPN would suggest that it's already a done deal. So what is it????? Help me, guys (and gals).

It's nothing more than food for fodder. And I am FULL of fodder.

Reaction Score

Bracketology, it changes daily. Happens on both mens and womens side. Helps you know were your team most likely will be, and brings more entertainment to the selection show.

Reaction Score
Agree that the talent is very good but ... while individual skills may improve I haven't seen anything from UNC over the years to suspect that discipline which is what makes a great team will improve in three years. UNC coaches have never cared about defense or turnovers - not a recipe for a great team, but for a team that can play great today and stink tomorrow. The NCAA with three or four competitive games in a row calls for consistency as well as talent.
North Carolina has always had a massive amount of talent but was never able to really play as a team. It seems they're very content to play one on one, playground type basketball and as a result they've always been notorious underachievers. I'm hopeful that four years from now Diamond Deshields will look into a mirror and say to herself, what did I do????? Why did I sacrifice my talent to play on teams whose only identity with "team" is the fact that there are four other girls on the court at the same time that wear the same color jersey?????

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I would go one further and say possibly Elite Eight. The FF may be a tough row to hoe at this point.

All about the matchups.. If we can avoid teams with 2 great wings who can both drive and are tremendous shooters, then all bets are off. Look at Duke's 5 conference losses...and whom were most responsible for those. McBride & Loyd, #23 and #15 for UNC.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
North Carolina has always had a massive amount of talent but was never able to really play as a team. It seems they're very content to play one on one, playground type basketball and as a result they've always been notorious underachievers. I'm hopeful that four years from now Diamond Deshields will look into a mirror and say to herself, what did I do????? Why did I sacrifice my talent to play on teams whose only identity with "team" is the fact that there are four other girls on the court at the same time that wear the same color jersey?????

They didnt underachieve in 2006 with a ton of talent. They were really good in 2007 and 2008. Tremendous teams.... especially that 2006 squad. Latta going down in the Final Four killed their title shot.

Of course those were down years in WCBB...... Especially 2006. :rolleyes:

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
The fact that we are having these endless discussions just demonstrates how much the NCAA has totally screwed up this year's tournament by allowing three of the best teams in the country to host regional finals. It made little sense last fall and it makes even less sense now. What a joke.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The fact that we are having these endless discussions just demonstrates how much the NCAA has totally screwed up this year's tournament by allowing three of the best teams in the country to host regional finals. It made little sense last fall and it makes even less sense now. What a joke.

I would love for Louisville and Stanford not even make it to the Regional Final. How funny would it be to have a Maryland vs WVU final in Palo Alto in front of 85 fans...... or a Duke vs Baylor final in Louisville in front of a packed house of 194 :cool:

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
I think it would be a MUCH more interesting tourny if they put UCONN in Lincoln. I agree with easttexastrash that Tennessee deserves a one seed and the Baylor/WV winner deserves a one seed. Speaking of Baylor/WV..I can't believe that game isn't on ESPN

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
I would love for Louisville and Stanford not even make it to the Regional Final. How funny would it be to have a Maryland vs WVU final in Palo Alto in front of 85 fans. or a Duke vs Baylor final in Louisville in front of a packed house of 194 :cool:

That's a VERY strong possibility

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
What I want to see. Not what will be.

Louisville - Tennessee, Louisville, West Virginia, Penn State
South Bend - ND, Baylor, Kentucky, Maryland
Palo Alto - Stanford, Duke, Texas A&M, UNC
Lincoln - Uconn, South Carolina, Nebraska, NCST

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I could live with those brackets..... but it would mean a possible UNC vs Duke in a Elite 8...... I definitely wouldnt want that matchup.

Reaction Score
Dobbs - I also find the dismissal of the BIG12 as being suspect while praising the SEC to be comical - as far as I am concerned there is only one power conference in WCBB this year and it is the ACC. The SEC and Big12 are full of mediocre teams that mostly played joke OOC schedules, followed by the Pac and Big10 that have no distinguishing features, followed by the AAC that at least has two very good teams and a pair of mediocre teams, followed by the new BE that is just mediocre teams, followed by the traditional mid majors. What stands out to me in the discussion of a team like TN is that they still only have one win against a team ranked in the top 10 in the last x number of years - their win against SC which is beginning to look suspect as well - I am guessing that by the final year end rankings SC will reside outside the top 10 again.
Agree. South Carolina non conference schedule is very weak http://www.gamecocksonline.com/sports/w-baskbl/sched/scar-w-baskbl-sched.html

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

I like it, DD.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I do not understand why anyone from UCONN would prefer to go to Lincoln and face the the unknown when you know what Louisville offers and you know that you can beat them. ....

Watch what you wish for because there are several teams that are better than UL (SCar, WVU, Baylor, Kentucky) that you might have to play. ....

My concern is purely entertainment value.

Playing Lulville yet again would be soooo boring. Or Duke, for that matter.

The fans would much rather see the Huskies rip apart some new team.

The issue for me -- this year at least --has nothing to do with competitiveness. Nobody is going to beat UConn, anyway, short of some freaky breakdown by the Huskies or super-extraordinary blessing from God on their opponent . The only thing that matters is entertainment value, since suspense is not an issue.

Be nice if the committee would seed accordingly for the good of growing interest in the game.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
My concern is purely entertainment value.

Playing Lulville yet again would be soooo boring. Or Duke, for that matter.

The fans would much rather see the Huskies rip apart some new team.

The issue for me -- this year at least --has nothing to do with competitiveness. Nobody is going to beat UConn, anyway, short of some freaky breakdown by the Huskies or super-extraordinary blessing from God on their opponent . The only thing that matters is entertainment value, since suspense is not an issue.

Be nice if the committee would seed accordingly for the good of growing interest in the game.

If you want entertainment, watch Mulkey if you get to come to Lincoln. She is twice as entertaining in persson as she is on TV. If Baylor and UCONN meet she better break out the biggest fur coat she owns.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I do not understand why anyone from UCONN would prefer to go to Lincoln and face the the unknown when you know what Louisville offers and you know that you can beat them. If the games had been close I could see you not wanting to play them again, but if Baylor beat a team three times by an average of 20 points, I would be praying to be sent to play them again.

Watch what you wish for because there are several teams that are better than UL (SCar, WVU, Baylor, Kentucky) that you might have to play. If I were UCONN, I would MUCH rather play UL again than meet up with S. Carolina!

I won't speak for others, but I would prefer to play Louisville than play Baylor is Lincoln, if all I cared about was a UConn win. (I don't buy the "it's hard to win four times" argument).

My desire to go to Lincoln (more precisely, not go to Louisville), is because it is not good for the game in general.

So I'm pushing for something that is best for the game, not necessarily for UConn.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
If you want entertainment, watch Mulkey if you get to come to Lincoln. She is twice as entertaining in persson as she is on TV. If Baylor and UCONN meet she better break out the biggest fur coat she owns.

She was quite animated last night.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I would say that other than ND, Baylor has the best shot at beating UCONN because the team believes that it can beat UCONN. Most teams have lost before they even hit the court and that will not be the case with Mulkey's team. UCONN going to Louisville would be a much easier route to the FF than Lincoln, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom