Molly Bent: Message Received | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Molly Bent: Message Received

Reaction Score
As others also point out, it depends what you are looking for. You'll see what you choose to see. If what you want to see is a scorer, you set yourself up for disappointment. I am looking at fundamentals of guarding, rebounding, moving the ball, and distributing it. I like what I see in those respects. There is talent there, and Geno and his staff know how to develop it. They were not wrong in recruiting her. They seldom are.
Since her size dictates only the point guard position, perhaps she can be a serviceable 10-12 minute backup , given she can improve upon the fundumentals you describe. Kyla just looks too slow to react at this level.

Reaction Score
As others also point out, it depends what you are looking for. You'll see what you choose to see. If what you want to see is a scorer, you set yourself up for disappointment. I am looking at fundamentals of guarding, rebounding, moving the ball, and distributing it. I like what I see in those respects. There is talent there, and Geno and his staff know how to develop it. They were not wrong in recruiting her. They seldom are.

I am reluctant to concur with your thinking. I am not picking you out personally, but you did a great job in pointing out "fundamentals of guarding, rebound, moving the ball and distributing it". I don't know, I find her extremely hesitant. She may very well be very good in those basic skill, but she seems like she is a second or two behind because she does not want to displease Geno. I find her looking over to the bench when she makes a mistake.

She ought to just say to herself that " I am going to play this game to the fullest, have fun an to hell with." Take those shots, don't wait, make those passes, drive to the basket and get fouled, take a chance and run with it. Don't worry about Geno. He's going to find faults in you whether you score 50 points or gather 50 rebounds and tell you to improve your overall game. Everything to gain and nothing to lose.

Reaction Score
I think Molly has as much or more desire than any husky to succeed at this level. To me it is evident that she spends more time trying not to screw up than she does just playing basketball. I noticed immediately after she checked into the game that the first few defensive possessions had the defense scrambling. Molly lost her mark and was missing the switches. I think if she can just do the things she is asked to do in practice (play solid defense, keep your man in front of you, take open shots, and play within the offense) she should earn solid minutes as a roll player. Unfortunately, each game that passes I am not noticing much improvement. I think its 95% mental with her, if I were to guess. I tend to think she has the abilities to contribute. I'm one of those thats hoping she can string together a few solid performances on both ends of the court and gain some confidence in herself and from the coaches.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
practicing against your friends/teammates isnt the same as a real opponent/rival...

I saw Lou push Molly into a spot cause she appeared to be lost... opponents causes those problems for the best of players

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Nicole and Brittany were far more talented and athletic than either Molly or Kyla. Spending 24 hours in a gym will never make up for those facts. How are they possibly going to compete against the players that will be available next year.
Different point in the thread. We weren't comparing Nicole and Brittany to Molly. Both were HS POYs whose college careers were limited to injury.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I pray Molly gains confidence. She is working so hard. Molly needs to stop hesitating, shoot the ball, stop thinking so much and have fun. Husky Nation know Molly can shoot and score, because we seen her do it.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I pray Molly gains confidence. She is working so hard. Molly needs to stop hesitating, shoot the ball, stop thinking so much and have fun. Husky Nation know Molly can shoot and score, because we seen her do it.

Spot on SD. She just needs the very things that she is getting: rock solid coaching and meaningful game minutes. As many of us are senior citizens, perhaps a memory refresh might be useful. Does anyone remember a freshman guard from somewhere Southwest of Storrs who practically ran out her sneakers while turning the ball over and missing open shots? Her name was Moriah. Remember? She turned out to be a fairly decent player.

Molly isn't Moriah. But she does have the raw talent to succeed. She just needs to keep working and learning. For our part, the least we can do is cheer her on and perhaps rethink some of the more negative responses.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Molly isn't Moriah. But she does have the raw talent to succeed. She just needs to keep working and learning. For our part, the least we can do is cheer her on and perhaps rethink some of the more negative responses.

Molly isn't Moriah (or Crystal II), but she could easily be Mel Thomas, who didn't have such a great freshman year either. She has enough talent (mental and physical) to successfully play PG at UConn. The question is whether others coming in next year (Coombs and Gordon especially, since the other two would not play that position) have more talent and play better than she can. I will be surprised if they do, particularly as freshmen.

I'm still waiting to hear specifics from her detractors about what physical skills or abilities they think she is lacking.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Molly isn't Moriah (or Crystal II), but she could easily be Mel Thomas, who didn't have such a great freshman year either. She has enough talent (mental and physical) to successfully play PG at UConn. The question is whether others coming in next year (Coombs and Gordon especially, since the other two would not play that position) have more talent and play better than she can. I will be surprised if they do, particularly as freshmen.

I'm still waiting to hear specifics from her detractors about what physical skills or abilities they think she is lacking.
One of the great quotes of the year by Geno re Molly: She knows three places on campus: The gym, her classes, and her dorm.
Ha!

Reaction Score

Mel is one of my favorite players ever!!!! Got a picture of her when she was signing her book at the co-op once!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom