Molly Bent: Message Received | The Boneyard

Molly Bent: Message Received

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The New Haven Register Blogs: Elm City to Eagleville: Bent looking to play more aggressively for UConn

"He talked to me and Kyla (Irwin) and just changing our mentality offensively, not being afraid to do something," Bent said. "Everything is mind over matter, if you are telling yourself negative thoughts 'I don't want to mess up, I don't want to do this or that' well that is going to be much more detrimental than saying 'I need to be confident, I need to be aggressive.' I need to be having positive thoughts and then going out and doing it because we only have a little more time of our freshman year to go."

Message delivered. Keeping my fingers crossed for both to shoot!

Reaction Score
The New Haven Register Blogs: Elm City to Eagleville: Bent looking to play more aggressively for UConn

"He talked to me and Kyla (Irwin) and just changing our mentality offensively, not being afraid to do something," Bent said. "Everything is mind over matter, if you are telling yourself negative thoughts 'I don't want to mess up, I don't want to do this or that' well that is going to be much more detrimental than saying 'I need to be confident, I need to be aggressive.' I need to be having positive thoughts and then going out and doing it because we only have a little more time of our freshman year to go."

Message delivered. Keeping my fingers crossed for both to shoot!
Thanks Rocky!!
'Every new Uconn recruits, with some exceptions, have to learn Geno wants a (smart) aggressive/confident player. He admires the kid (think freshman Gabby) who comes off the bench and changes the game (if not this then) scores some point or make a good defensive stop-
Most frosh are just trying to "fit in".
Ok--Molly -you know the facts/got the word--now score and defend--make us all proud!!

Irwin is not shy of throw it up or tangling under the boards--now she has to start playing smart. She has the minimal confidence!!

Reaction Score
This is a great opportunity for veteran leadership (like Kia and Gabby) to help out too. They could take Molly and Kyla out for dinner and convey the same message: that they are not letting the team down by shooting and missing; that the team has their backs.

Reaction Score
This is a great opportunity for veteran leadership (like Kia and Gabby) to help out too. They could take Molly and Kyla out for dinner and convey the same message: that they are not letting the team down by shooting and missing; that the team has their backs.
Absolutely agree!!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Sadly, she did exactly the same thing in the Tulane game, late in the fourth quarter. She had the ball right in front of Geno and she was open, but instead of taking the jump shot, she dribbled into the lane and turned it over. Geno's exasperation was obvious. I think everyone who was still in the stands felt the same exasperation.

But she made some very good hustle plays also. There was a great court-length pass to Gabby who unfortunately missed the layup. She took a charge under the defensive basket and was applauded by her teammates. She stole an offensive rebound out of a Tulane player's hands. She had several rebounds in the minutes that she played.

I hope she gets it soon. She can do everything physically that a good guard needs to do. I hope she doesn't suffer from overthinking and excessive concern about avoiding mistakes, like that other underachieving UConn guard from Massachusetts, Nicole Wolff.

Reaction Score
Sadly, she did exactly the same thing in the Tulane game, late in the fourth quarter. She had the ball right in front of Geno and she was open, but instead of taking the jump shot, she dribbled into the lane and turned it over. Geno's exasperation was obvious. I think everyone who was still in the stands felt the same exasperation.

But she made some very good hustle plays also. There was a great court-length pass to Gabby who unfortunately missed the layup. She took a charge under the defensive basket and was applauded by her teammates. She stole an offensive rebound out of a Tulane player's hands. She had several rebounds in the minutes that she played.

I hope she gets it soon. She can do everything physically that a good guard needs to do. I hope she doesn't suffer from overthinking and excessive concern about avoiding mistakes, like that other underachieving UConn guard from Massachusetts, Nicole Wolff.
I think Nicole Wolff was a completely different scenario though, she was never the same after getting injured. But yes, I hope Molly gets it soon too!

Reaction Score
I think Nicole Wolff was a completely different scenario though, she was never the same after getting injured. But yes, I hope Molly gets it soon too!

Nicole Wolff had so much talent. She was a freshman starter. But you're right: she hurt her foot, came back, then got hurt again. After that, she was a pale shadow of her former self. Never made it back.

Very sad.

Reaction Score
I'm posting this after the game was won--and I saw Molly and Kyla play--the message Was NOT received. Both played better, neither near good, neither taking open shots. Kyla=has been stuffed so often ==she must think she is 6 ft 5--a slow learner. Molly took one running jumper--bounced off the rim--good shot but didn't go in--that's her shot --if she makes that consistently--she's of value. She played pretty good Defense--stayed in front of her player.
But the Message Was NOT received---use the boot next time Geno--get them where their brains appear to be.. (yea harsh I know)

Reaction Score
Molly plays better when most of the starters are in. That is expected. Her play suffers when the subs are in and she has to take more responsibility. It is going to take time and luckily the AAC schedule affords that.

Reaction Score
Molly plays better when most of the starters are in. That is expected. Her play suffers when the subs are in and she has to take more responsibility. It is going to take time and luckily the AAC schedule affords that.
Respectfully disagree. Molly doesn't even try to score when starters are in. She needs to take open shots or it will continue to be a 5 on 4 scenario.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Nicole Wolff had so much talent. She was a freshman starter. But you're right: she hurt her foot, came back, then got hurt again. After that, she was a pale shadow of her former self. Never made it back.

Very sad.
Nicole won one of the HS NPOY awards. She was a consensus top-10 recruit who had a great first game in college. After her injuries, she lost her confidence and was never the same player again. Both she and Brittany Hunter could have been fabulous college and pro players if not for multiple injuries.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Molly is learning and improving. It's a roller coaster, it's true. But she is going to be a good one before she is done. The game is still a little fast for her, but every freshie goes through that.

Reaction Score
Respectfully disagree. Molly doesn't even try to score when starters are in. She needs to take open shots or it will continue to be a 5 on 4 scenario.

You're right she is reluctant to shoot. Her overall play is much better with the starters. On offense, she just moves the ball with the starters. On defense, there is less scrambling and breakdowns with the starters.

Reaction Score
She is in freshman mode, defer to the upperclassman. When she takes the open shot or goes to the hole she will be ready. She needs to "trust" herself.
Accomplishments start with self-belief. Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.

Reaction Score
Molly is learning and improving. It's a roller coaster, it's true. But she is going to be a good one before she is done. The game is still a little fast for her, but every freshie goes through that.
We are obviously not watching the same players.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
Molly has too many turnovers - wants to make something happen when it's not there. Playing uptight in fear of making a mistake which, of course, creates mistakes. Best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores as some wise person once said.

Reaction Score
Nicole won one of the HS NPOY awards. She was a consensus top-10 recruit who had a great first game in college. After her injuries, she lost her confidence and was never the same player again. Both she and Brittany Hunter could have been fabulous college and pro players if not for multiple injuries.
Nicole and Brittany were far more talented and athletic than either Molly or Kyla. Spending 24 hours in a gym will never make up for those facts. How are they possibly going to compete against the players that will be available next year.

Reaction Score
Nicole and Brittany were far more talented and athletic than either Molly or Kyla. Spending 24 hours in a gym will never make up for those facts. How are they possibly going to compete against the players that will be available next year.

Again with the magic, fresh off the bus freshmen. If Stewart hit a wall, among the many, if not all, highly touted high school players who have gone through this and found themselves overwhelmed by the speed and complexity of it all I really, really don't have a problem with either Bent or Irwin's progress. As for the new players? Who knows?

Reaction Score
Again with the magic, fresh off the bus freshmen. If Stewart hit a wall, among the many, if not all, highly touted high school players who have gone through this and found themselves overwhelmed by the speed and complexity of it all I really, really don't have a problem with either Bent or Irwin's progress. As for the new players? Who knows?
Personally, I hope they both improve so much , that they push for starting time. But for me, they just don't pass the "eye test ".

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Personally, I hope they both improve so much , that they push for starting time. But for me, they just don't pass the "eye test ".
Could you (and others who feel similarly, who seem to be numerous) be more specific about what athletic qualities you find lacking in Molly specifically? Speed? Quickness? Leaping? Shooting? Ball handling? My eye test doesn't suggest any deficiency in those areas compared to other guards who have been successful at UConn (Mel Thomas, Caroline Doty, Ashley Valley, and Maria Conlon for several examples). You might say that her shooting recently has been subpar, but you could have said that about Lou for a big part of her freshman year.

I agree that Crystal is far more athletic, and probably Coombs and Gordon next year will be also. But who is to say that Coombs and/or Gordon won't have their own freshman problems in learning the offense, learning to run their motor at UConn speed, etc.? If by next year Molly can make relatively few mistakes and score 7 or 8 points in maybe 18 minutes average per game, she will be doing fine.

As I've said before and as was also true yesterday, Molly's per-minute statistics for rebounds (for a guard) and assists this year are excellent, and that continued to be true yesterday. Her turnovers are probably not very good and obviously her shooting leaves a lot of room for improvement, but (if you accept her high school record as evidence of her shooting potential) those are correctible problems.

Reaction Score

I guess we use a different sort of, "eye" test. Mine looks over my magnificent, painstakingly crafted post and then conjures up the image of the player(s) in question so I can say it out loud to them. If it's not something I'd say face to face it don't get posted.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
l
Molly has too many turnovers - wants to make something happen when it's not there. Playing uptight in fear of making a mistake which, of course, creates mistakes. Best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores as some wise person once said.

Wise person was Al McGuire, as I recall. Google free answer!!

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
We are obviously not watching the same players.

As others also point out, it depends what you are looking for. You'll see what you choose to see. If what you want to see is a scorer, you set yourself up for disappointment. I am looking at fundamentals of guarding, rebounding, moving the ball, and distributing it. I like what I see in those respects. There is talent there, and Geno and his staff know how to develop it. They were not wrong in recruiting her. They seldom are.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom