Molly Bent - from her AAU coach | The Boneyard

Molly Bent - from her AAU coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I know Bill Coughlin of the Rhode Island Breakers and asked him about Molly. Here's what he said:

It is certainly hard to compare young kids to U Conn greats but Molly has always reminded of Kelly Faris, a very unselfish player who will play any role to win. She has a tremendous basketball IQ and can play many roles like bringing the ball down, being a shut down defender or scoring when needed. She also has a great mid range pull up jumper which a lot of kids in New England don't have.

Molly is also a great student and a young leader

Bill admits to a bit of bias but I've found his descriptions to be very accurate through the years.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Unselfish, versatile, smart, shut down defender and mid range jumper.... What was Geno thinking recruiting Molly...?? :rolleyes:

Careful, some Vol fan will answer that question for you; then we are off and running. His comments parallel, compliment, echo those few reviews we have of her game.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
To me this says shes coachable and has the "want to". The fundamentals are there. I think the UConn coaching staff has a kid with the right attitude, a UConn attitude. That tells me she has the ability to be a solid player. Now we wait and see. Im sure next season we will be getting all kinds of videos and reports from Husky fans as she is only a few miles from Storrs. Be Patient.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Kelly Faris is both a tempting and daunting comparison to make in many cases. The key for Kelly is that she made UConn better and would have made any D1 program better. Obviously, Geno hit a recruiting jackpot in 2009, and it'd be great to replicate it in 2016 (along with obvious hits like Miss Dangerfield). We'll have to see if Molly "gets it" immediately, just as Kelly did.

Molly could stand to bone up not just on Kelly and Moriah- two young women who play the game the right way and make/made their teams win basketball games- but also on NBA players like Scottie Pippen and Draymond Green. To have that mindset of approaching the game of basketball is to help UConn close out the 2010s in style.

Reaction Score
To me this says shes coachable and has the "want to". The fundamentals are there. I think the UConn coaching staff has a kid with the right attitude, a UConn attitude. That tells me she has the ability to be a solid player. Now we wait and see. Im sure next season we will be getting all kinds of videos and reports from Husky fans as she is only a few miles from Storrs. Be Patient.

In the spirit of this I looked up the Tabor Academy 2014/15 schedule and it included games at Loomis-Chaffee of Windsor and Marianapolis of Thompson. There might be a larger than customary crowd and a couple of video cameras there in the upcoming season than would normally be expected.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I have asked this question before, and I don't believe I ever got an answer. But I'll keep trying. I believe that Mel Thomas had the same type of hard nose workaholic basketball mentality. As a matter of fact, I think she broke her nose her freshman? year, and played with a mask. Then a season ending injury her senior year. But I personally think that Mel was every bit as good as Kelly, maybe a little better offensively, and a little weaker defenselessly, but cut from the same mold. Anyone care to comment, or am I the only one old enough to remember Mel Thomas?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have asked this question before, and I don't believe I ever got an answer. But I'll keep trying. I believe that Mel Thomas had the same type of hard nose workaholic basketball mentality. As a matter of fact, I think she broke her nose her freshman? year, and played with a mask. Then a season ending injury her senior year. But I personally think that Mel was every bit as good as Kelly, maybe a little better offensively, and a little weaker defenselessly, but cut from the same mold. Anyone care to comment, or am I the only one old enough to remember Mel Thomas?

Before I have my bowl of gruel, a diaper change, and jamies I want to agree with you 100%, you old duckt!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Kelly Faris is both a tempting and daunting comparison to make in many cases. The key for Kelly is that she made UConn better and would have made any D1 program better. Obviously, Geno hit a recruiting jackpot in 2009, and it'd be great to replicate it in 2016 (along with obvious hits like Miss Dangerfield). We'll have to see if Molly "gets it" immediately, just as Kelly did.

Molly could stand to bone up not just on Kelly and Moriah- two young women who play the game the right way and make/made their teams win basketball games- but also on NBA players like Scottie Pippen and Draymond Green. To have that mindset of approaching the game of basketball is to help UConn close out the 2010s in style.

"Molly could stand to bone up . . . "

How do you know that?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Mel was a great team player and a favorite of many here - the linebacker. It is an apt comparison in terms of grittiness and intensity, and the offensive/defensive distinction is apt. I think where it breaks down is that Kelly was a far better athlete and I would say physically much stronger and much faster. And I think the general feeling was that a healthy Mel would not have been drafted while Kelly was and is still on a WNBA roster. Mel did play a year or two overseas, but never made it to a WNBA team.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
What did I tell you Tony....I said she reminds me of Kelly Faris.

Reaction Score
I would take 5 Kelly Faris' on my team 7 days a week and twice on sundays.
But to give the other team a break, only two or three Farises on the court at the same time.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
So which one of the five Kelly Farises is going to do the scoring? Unless the Kelly Farises plan on pitching a shutout.
I-pad pictures 062.JPG

The scoring would be handled by the Kelly Faris that scored 1,109 points at UConn. You know, the one that shot 51.3% from inside the arc... ;) She would be fed by the Faris that had 506 assists. No doubt the Faris that made 70 three pointers would chip in, along with the one that shot 77% from the free throw line. Also in the mix would be the Kelly that grabbed 867 rebounds and 294 steals. When you play in 39, 38, 38 and 39 games freshman through senior year, you can score, assist and rebound. :D

Two players in UConn history have 1,000 points, 750 rebounds, 500 assists and 250 steals. One is Maya Moore, the other the 5 Kelly Farises.... :cool:

No shutout needed, although the opponent probably wouldn't break 40 pts...:rolleyes:

Go Huskies..!!
Go Kelly..!!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I seem to remember Kelly dropping 3-3s and a few 2s in the Championship game (remember, the one where her father sat in the fans absolutely stone faced! Next to happy mom and sis) and remarking in post-game that maybe if she had done more of that earlier in her UConn career one or more bitter experiences would have been averted. (sorta like Kiah saying no one had seen her offensive game except in practice :confused:)

Reaction Score
My favorite Mel memory is her hiking the ball like a football center to a teammate.

The Huskies and fans have been spoiled. What's new, right? There has been an incredible sequence of lockdown perimeter defenders here, specifically Kalana, Tiff, and Kelly. While those players were at UConn the roster always had at least one person on it that wasn't going to allow those things to even get started.

Reaction Score
View attachment 9731

The scoring would be handled by the Kelly Faris that scored 1,109 points at UConn. You know, the one that shot 51.3% from inside the arc... ;) She would be fed by the Faris that had 506 assists. No doubt the Faris that made 70 three pointers would chip in, along with the one that shot 77% from the free throw line. Also in the mix would be the Kelly that grabbed 867 rebounds and 294 steals. When you play in 39, 38, 38 and 39 games freshman through senior year, you can score, assist and rebound. :D

Two players in UConn history have 1,000 points, 750 rebounds, 500 assists and 250 steals. One is Maya Moore, the other the 5 Kelly Farises.... :cool:

No shutout needed, although the opponent probably wouldn't break 40 pts...:rolleyes:

Go Huskies..!!
Go Kelly..!!
David - great post! Just the facts Jack!!! Geno knows how to fill in a roster with "Role players" who can play a WINNING role. We might have questions about Bent and Irwin, but not many have questions about Geno's & CD's system of recruiting. Other posters mentioned that the two girls are coaches daughters (++) and that the "off the court" chemistry & dynamics will be successfully covered. Geno mentioned that there are so few players that UConn can recruit because they have criteria that only few recruits can fulfill. Bingo--quick offer and commitment.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
My favorite Mel memory is her hiking the ball like a football center to a teammate.

The Huskies and fans have been spoiled. What's new, right? There has been an incredible sequence of lockdown perimeter defenders here, specifically Kalana, Tiff, and Kelly. While those players were at UConn the roster always had at least one person on it that wasn't going to allow those things to even get started.
Just to add one more of a number of names that could be added to your list, but for some reason seems to be quietly omitted from many memories - Sales - the Uconn leader in steals by a wide margin (28% more than #2 JenR) - known for her offensive prowess but a demon on defense too.

Reaction Score
From Jim Fuller today:

Latest UConn commit "doesn't take any plays off"

Tabor Academy guard Molly Bent was considered to be an under the radar recruit as she was considering Ivy League schools and some mid-major schools. However, according to her AAU coach, she was pretty well known by the UConn coaching staff as Geno Auriemma saw her play three times before Bent committed to UConn.

"Molly is a high-motor kid," Rhode Island Breakers coach Jim Edgehill said. "She is a college conditioned athlete right now, she has great ball handling skills while she worked on to become a true point guard. Last year when she played with us with the Breakers she was more of a scoring guard. This year we talked to Molly about making everybody around her better and there are games where she made everybody on our team a lot better. She has hit the next level as a player, she has a great mid-range game, she can hit the 3 and is a great transition kid. She is a great defender, she pushes when you need it and is learning how to slow the game down when you need to slow it up. She rebounds well for a guard, she doesn't take any plays off.

"This year we went to the Deep South, we ended up playing team from Georgia, the Celtics, we ended up beating them by six," Edgehill said, "Molly played great, Geno and Shea were there, came next couple of games. The Kentucky coach Matthew Mitchell came up to me after one of the games in the Deep South and said 'she could play for us right now.'"

[LINK] to full article.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Gus Mahler said:
"Molly could stand to bone up . . . " How do you know that?

Obviously, I know everything. :)

Besides, all young players could stand to bone up on quintessential glue guys.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The Kentucky coach Matthew Mitchell came up to me after one of the games in the Deep South and said 'she could play for us right now.'"
Certainly lends credence to the info supplied by masshusky couple of days ago about an off from Kentucky (and Vandy).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom