MNT’s 2022 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

MNT’s 2022

Reaction Score
2 Honduran players subbed at half due to hypothermia. Wild

Reaction Score
So what's the best result for Mexico/Panama tonight?

Reaction Score
So what's the best result for Mexico/Panama tonight?
Mexico winning was unequivocally the best outcome. Mexico has El Salvador and Honduras, in addition to us, in the next window. Mexico is getting in.

If Panama had won, we open up the possibility of both Mexico and Panama (and maybe Costa Rica) being able to pass us if we only get 2 points in the next window.

Besides us, Panama has Honduras and a Canada squad that will have nothing to play for. They should easily get 4 points, maybe 6.

If we beat Panama, we finish ahead of them regardless of other results. If we draw Costa Rica, we finish ahead of them unless we lose out and they win out. That's the most straightforward path.

If we draw Panama, then they need to make up 4 points (they win out and we don't win another match, or they win+draw and we lose out).

If we draw Costa Rica, then they need to make up 5 points (they win out and we at most draw one).

If we lose to either, it gets dicey, but still doable.

We're in very good shape, and the match at Azteca is basically a freebie. If we can get a point, it's nice, but probably not necessary.

Reaction Score
We should NOT read very much into this game, Honduras did not want to be there and they almost never crossed into our territory. They were awful.

Couple of things. Acosta's service into the box on set pieces is the best we have seen in qualifying. There's no reason, with the skill level of our team, that others shouldn't be able to do the same thing. If no one can, then has he to play more.

The strikers have been terrible. Love to see Sargent, Dike (huge monsters) get a call up. Pefok deserves a looksie as well. Gretzky had Dave Semenko to protect him on his line. Someone has to protect Pulisic to open the field for him.

Reaction Score
We're in very good shape, and the match at Azteca is basically a freebie. If we can get a point, it's nice, but probably not necessary.
would love 3 points at Azteca. unfortunately, they will have their fans back after the 2 match ban.

all eyes are really on the Panama game in Orlando - biggest MNT game since Couva. LETS GOO!!!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
He’s gonna get lit up agains good teams and individual matchups. He always does. But decent set pieces
I'm not starting him over Adams, but he's a decent back up. But it was nice having someone who can deliver decent setpieces.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I ragged on Morris when he forsook Europe because he couldn't bring his dogs. But the guy plays his best soccer for his country and I think the team is stronger with him on it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The strikers have been terrible. Love to see Sargent, Dike (huge monsters) get a call up. Pefok deserves a looksie as well. Gretzky had Dave Semenko to protect him on his line. Someone has to protect Pulisic to open the field for him.
The knock on Sargent is that he wasn't scoring goals. He just had a brace in the EPL. In fact, he was nominated for Budweiser Goal of the Month. We will find out tomorrow if he won.

Reaction Score
would love 3 points at Azteca. unfortunately, they will have their fans back after the 2 match ban.

all eyes are really on the Panama game in Orlando - biggest MNT game since Couva. LETS GOO!!!

So this is the question that Berhalter has a month and a half to ponder. Do you play your best players at Azteca? And risk some of your stars having trouble recovering from playing at altitude and not being ready for the game against Panama in Orlando 72 hours later? Do you bring more players into camp, and leave your entire first team at home and send a B team to Azteca? Or do you try to split the difference, bring your best team to Azteca but only let the Pulisics, Dests, McKinneys, etc. play a half?

I really don't know what the right answer is. But I would be tempted to bring 40 guys into camp and leave your A team in Orlando with players normally outside the pool to practice against and send your second and third units to Azteca.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So this is the question that Berhalter has a month and a half to ponder. Do you play your best players at Azteca? And risk some of your stars having trouble recovering from playing at altitude and not being ready for the game against Panama in Orlando 72 hours later? Do you bring more players into camp, and leave your entire first team at home and send a B team to Azteca? Or do you try to split the difference, bring your best team to Azteca but only let the Pulisics, Dests, McKinneys, etc. play a half?

I really don't know what the right answer is. But I would be tempted to bring 40 guys into camp and leave your A team in Orlando with players normally outside the pool to practice against and send your second and third units to Azteca.
Forget the Mexico game. Would could win that one and still not qualify for Qatar. That would give us 24 pts

Costa Rica has Canada (Canada's already qualified) at home. Away at El Salvador and USA at home. They could get 9 points put them at 25.

Panama has Honduras at Home, USA Away (the tough one), and Canada at home. 9 points gets them to 26

Mexico has Honduras away and El Salvador at home. Even 4 points there gets them to 25.

Canada picks up even 1 point at home against Jamaica and they are in the top 3.

We really have to beat Panama or Costa Rica. Which really comes to beating Panama at home. And that may only get us to 4th.

(I think the math is right???)

Reaction Score
Forget the Mexico game. Would could win that one and still not qualify for Qatar. That would give us 24 pts

Costa Rica has Canada (Canada's already qualified) at home. Away at El Salvador and USA at home. They could get 9 points put them at 25.

Panama has Honduras at Home, USA Away (the tough one), and Canada at home. 9 points gets them to 26

Mexico has Honduras away and El Salvador at home. Even 4 points there gets them to 25.

We really have to beat Panama or Costa Rica. Which really comes to beating Panama at home. And that may only get us to 4th.

You are correct that we can beat Panama and still finish behind Costa Rica. Not likely but possible. To actually control our own destiny we need to beat Panama and tie Costa Rica. Beating Panama and tying Mexico allows Costa Costa Rica to tie us and let it come down to goal differential But there are absolutely plenty of scenarios where getting points in Mexico become the difference between 3d and 4th and 4th and 5th as well. If it truly was a meaningless game, there would be no decision to make. It's just far less likely than the Panama game to be decisive.

Reaction Score

If we beat Panama, we finish higher than Panama.
If we beat CR, we finish higher than CR.

If we beat Panama and draw CR, we're in.

If we lose to either one, there are other paths. Too many permutations to concisely summarize.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I wish Mexico wasn't first. I think Gregg will do what he did this week, split the difference. Some key guys will get rest. Maybe Morris plays for Pulisic and Acosta for Adams. Would need to see the fitness of the guys he has at the time to see who might be able to play all three matches. We have depth in several spots, especially the wing. Anybody who plays vs Mexico would, at most miss Panama, or parts of Panama so figure out what line up you want for that match and go from there.

USA is in pretty good shape, but that was true last time and we blew it. Not counting any chickens this time.

Reaction Score
If we beat Panama, we finish higher than Panama.
If we beat CR, we finish higher than CR.

If we beat Panama and draw CR, we're in.

If we lose to either one, there are other paths. Too many permutations to concisely summarize.
One more simple-ish one:

If we draw both Panama and CR:
  • Panama would need to win out (doable) and we would need to lose @MEX for them to pass us
  • CR would need to win out and we would need to lose @MEX to tie us on points (and probably still lose on goal diff)

So if we can get a draw at Azteca, then we pretty much just need a draw in both other matches to get in.

Bottom line:
1) Win vs. Panama and draw @CR --> In
2) Draw all 3 matches --> In*
3) Draw Panama and CR --> Clinch 4th* at worst

*unless Panama/CR wins out with a +8 goal diff

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I may not be officially nervous about missing qualification but, it's in the room as we are the only team playing the other 3 candidates for 2.5 spots. I'd also really like to avoid the playoff.

We most certainly will need a win at home at Panama, (who is all but guaranteed 4 pts vs Hon/Can and maybe 6 if Canada takes the day off) and need 1 pt on the road in places we don't historically do well at a time we have trouble scoring, most likely the last game against Costa Rica.

Panama will likely have 21-23 pts, not including our match.
Mexico will likely have 27, not including our match.
Costa Rica will likely have 19 but could have 20-22 since they have Canada at home.
We have no gimmies left. If we want to guarantee third place, we need beat Panama at home and Costa Rica on the road. If we want to guarantee at least 4th place we need to get a point off of either Mexico or Costa Rica. Three draws would also work, but that is backing in, in my view. Drawing Panama and losing to Mexico would leave us barely in on goal differential with a draw in the final match and just asking to have it stolen at the whistle of the last game. All because we drew at home to Canada and at Jamaica and El Salvador.

Any Concacaf team advancing in Qatar is a longshot. The entire region is down, but if we have dreams of going on a run in 2026, we need to get these youngsters some WC experience.

Reaction Score
I may not be officially nervous about missing qualification but, it's in the room as we are the only team playing the other 3 candidates for 2.5 spots. I'd also really like to avoid the playoff.

We most certainly will need a win at home at Panama, (who is all but guaranteed 4 pts vs Hon/Can and maybe 6 if Canada takes the day off) and need 1 pt on the road in places we don't historically do well at a time we have trouble scoring, most likely the last game against Costa Rica.

Panama will likely have 21-23 pts, not including our match.
Mexico will likely have 27, not including our match.
Costa Rica will likely have 19 but could have 20-22 since they have Canada at home.
We have no gimmies left. If we want to guarantee third place, we need beat Panama at home and Costa Rica on the road. If we want to guarantee at least 4th place we need to get a point off of either Mexico or Costa Rica. Three draws would also work, but that is backing in, in my view. Drawing Panama and losing to Mexico would leave us barely in on goal differential with a draw in the final match and just asking to have it stolen at the whistle of the last game. All because we drew at home to Canada and at Jamaica and El Salvador.

Any Concacaf team advancing in Qatar is a longshot. The entire region is down, but if we have dreams of going on a run in 2026, we need to get these youngsters some WC experience.
See above.

W vs. Panama + D @ Costa Rica is enough to get in.

W vs. Panama OR W @ Costa Rica is enough to guarantee 4th.

D vs. Panama + D @ Costa Rica is enough to guarantee 4th unless Costa Rica scores a ton or we get blasted in Mexico

3 draws is enough to get in unless Panama scores a ton in their other matches

We definitely do not need to win both.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I’m not sure why everyone thinks Canada is just going to lose matches. They haven’t qualified in how long? They aren’t England or Germany. This is new and they will want to win the group. What is gained by sitting their players? How many of them can they realistically sit anyway? Is the bench that bad? We’ve played most of our matches minus at least 2-3 guys we consider our best players at their positions.

Reaction Score
Thoughts on Walker Zimmerman from those who may have more soccer knowledge. Not the quickest and I feel sometimes he is too deliberate. However, he doesn’t make mistakes. I get the feeling he is used for stability against the lower level teams, but his role in bigger games is reduced. I kind of like having him on the field.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Third best CB, maybe 4th behind Robinson and Long, maybe Brooks but he's been solid in qualifying when tapped.

Since the rise of the Robinsons, D which was a huge question mark coming into the year hasn't been an issue beyond the odd lapse or experimental squad by GG.

GK has been great thanks to Turner's emergence. Another preseason question mark.

The midfield has been good if unspectacular at times but as a group of 4, we've never had better.

Up front has and will be the issue. We knew we needed a Striker to step up and no one has. We thought we were strong on the outside but CP hasn't been consistent and Reyna has been absent. Both those things need to change.

Last ? is what are we getting from Dest. Doesn't seem in sync with the rest of the team and is the most likely guy to make a mistake when he should be one of our biggest threats. We may go only a well as he does balancing the attack.

GG needs a better plan on offense. This team wants to play more direct. Collectively they play too slow. To much time on the ball, too many touches, poor touches causes them to cough up the ball and all the back/square passing just makes us easier to defend.

Our guys are fast, they can move well. They can't dribble past multiple defenders. Get it upfield, get it wide and get it in the box. Pinball soccer works for us. Dekeing defenders and blasting it from 18 yds out doesn't work for us.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Third best CB, maybe 4th behind Robinson and Long, maybe Brooks but he's been solid in qualifying when tapped.

Since the rise of the Robinsons, D which was a huge question mark coming into the year hasn't been an issue beyond the odd lapse or experimental squad by GG.

GK has been great thanks to Turner's emergence. Another preseason question mark.

The midfield has been good if unspectacular at times but as a group of 4, we've never had better.

Up front has and will be the issue. We knew we needed a Striker to step up and no one has. We thought we were strong on the outside but CP hasn't been consistent and Reyna has been absent. Both those things need to change.

Last ? is what are we getting from Dest. Doesn't seem in sync with the rest of the team and is the most likely guy to make a mistake when he should be one of our biggest threats. We may go only a well as he does balancing the attack.

GG needs a better plan on offense. This team wants to play more direct. Collectively they play too slow. To much time on the ball, too many touches, poor touches causes them to cough up the ball and all the back/square passing just makes us easier to defend.

Our guys are fast, they can move well. They can't dribble past multiple defenders. Get it upfield, get it wide and get it in the box. Pinball soccer works for us. Dekeing defenders and blasting it from 18 yds out doesn't work for us.

Pinball soccer works except for the lack of a target in the middle. McKennie is decent on headers. None of our strikers seem to be. What I wouldn't give for Brian McBride on a team with these wings (and even Dest and and A Rob out wide).

I'm somewhat concerned about physicality. CP, Aaronson, Reyes (if he returns) are not very rugged players. The strategy against our speed seems to be to foul repeatedly, but far enough away from the box that set pieces aren't a threat. Weah seems better able to play through some contact. Pepi has good size but doesn't use it. Sargent isn't well suited to pinball soccer striker target role. I still think Pefok deserves more opportunities.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Pinball soccer works except for the lack of a target in the middle. McKennie is decent on headers. None of our strikers seem to be. What I wouldn't give for Brian McBride on a team with these wings (and even Dest and and A Rob out wide).

I'm somewhat concerned about physicality. CP, Aaronson, Reyes (if he returns) are not very rugged players. The strategy against our speed seems to be to foul repeatedly, but far enough away from the box that set pieces aren't a threat. Weah seems better able to play through some contact. Pepi has good size but doesn't use it. Sargent isn't well suited to pinball soccer striker target role. I still think Pefok deserves more opportunities.

Oh this team is light as a feather. That is a huge concern. Someone was asking why no one is standing up for CP when he gets knocked around? My answer is who? Jermaine Jones isn't walking through that door. Zimmerman or Brooks are the only obvious candidates but you wouldn't want your CB picking up unnecessary yellows. Z isn't all that intimidating to begin with. Everyone else is tiny.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom