MNT’s 2022 | Page 33 | The Boneyard

MNT’s 2022

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There is no reasonable argument that we weren’t better with Reyna in the field.

LOL at “personal glory”.

Were we? There is no irrefutable evidence of that once you comcede that anyone would have been better than Ferreira/Wright.

I saw a lot of mindless drubbing into 3 defenders at the corner of the box before turning it over. At least Weah did a decent job of getting the ball up the side.

McKennie not being able to go 90 really affected the sub patterns, but we had a ton of interchangeable guys with the same faults. Not a single attacking sub forced the opponent to change anything about their approach.

NED couldn't have been happier about our wide possession and cross game.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We’re set for ‘26 everywhere but for a striker and 2 center backs. One can see potential center backs already on the radar, starting with Richards. We need a striker better than was here. We’ll never know if Pefok would have made a difference, but rationally he should have had a shot. In 4 years, maybe Pepe will be the guy
I think we need a few different strikers. We can’t adjust the offense very much right now. I’d like a big target striker and a guy who can hold it up. The creative guys we have need to work on finishing. Maybe Pefok can become the target we need.

I‘m not completely sold on Dest either. Maybe with better CBs I’d worry about him less.

Compared to the past, we’re in fantastic shape. Never know who might come out of nowhere too. Turner did. A walk on at Fairfield.

Reaction Score
Before we demand a striker. Think. How many teams in the tournament have a proper "number 9" ?

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
3 or 4 matches a week. Do you think an avatar is the same as insight?

Btw, this guy agrees with me.
He agrees that a guy that he says should have played more wasn’t ready?

That article was a major indictment of Berhalter.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
He agrees that a guy that he says should have played more wasn’t ready?

That article was a major indictment of Berhalter.

He said he was a wildcard, which he was. Turned out the players GG chose played better. We can't know what happens if he plays just his most dangerous players but we do know NED's opinion.

Memphis was quoted saying the US was all bark and no bite. That sums it up perfectly for me.

We can argue this guy over that guy, butnthe truth is other than Dest, Robinson, Pulisic, and Adams (who themselves made huge errors that gave up goals) the rest of the squad was interchangeable.

We need a different type of player to fill the gaps. The scrappy, technically mediocre, physically underwhelming player is the US prototype. We have a ton of those guys. How about someone who can mix it up in the box, or take a decent free kick, or someone with the knack for being in the right spot at the right time.

Watch these other matches and see how these other teams space themselves on offense and defense. We look nothing like them.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
We need a finisher like Mbappe. I love watching him play.
We will never have an Mbappe. That's silly. We can have a guy who finds space like he does and find a player to recognize his teammate is going to be in that space with the ability to deliver the ball on time and not behind him. We can find a player who can keep his first touch close enough to fire a shot while the defense is still recovering.

There are so many finer points of winning play that we didn't do well.

Reaction Score
We will never have an Mbappe. That's silly. We can have a guy who finds space like he does and find a player to recognize his teammate is going to be in that space with the ability to deliver the ball on time and not behind him. We can find a player who can keep his first touch close enough to fire a shot while the defense is still recovering.

There are so many finer points of winning play that we didn't do well.
It's okay to dream. Never say never. Hopefully, the people involved with the USMNT are more optimistic than you. Why can't a nation of over 330 million find a player or two to finish? I'm sure glad that UConn found coaches such as Calhoun, Geno, Penders and others who were dreamers as well.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
It's okay to dream. Never say never. Hopefully, the people involved with the USMNT are more optimistic than you. Why can't a nation of over 330 million find a player or two to finish? I'm sure glad that UConn found coaches such as Calhoun, Geno, Penders and others who were dreamers as well.

Because we don't have 330 people for whom futbol is life from the time they are 6 years old. We never will.

Our academy system does a good job of developing players but that doesn't draw from a big enough pool. I'm not going to rely on the football/basketball argument because I think that is too simplistic.

Most of our better players are still foreign born and/or went through some sort of academy. Most of this squad played together as U17 and U20's. Is that good?

Do entire college FB or Basketball teams make the NFL? They don't so it's fair to conclude the US approach puts out the best possible USMNT it can but doesn't produce enough player options to be a top world cup squad.

The US is consistently a top 16 squad. To move up, we need the goals, which is the most difficult player to develop.

Reaction Score
He said he was a wildcard, which he was. Turned out the players GG chose played better. We can't know what happens if he plays just his most dangerous players but we do know NED's opinion.

Memphis was quoted saying the US was all bark and no bite. That sums it up perfectly for me.

We can argue this guy over that guy, butnthe truth is other than Dest, Robinson, Pulisic, and Adams (who themselves made huge errors that gave up goals) the rest of the squad was interchangeable.

We need a different type of player to fill the gaps. The scrappy, technically mediocre, physically underwhelming player is the US prototype. We have a ton of those guys. How about someone who can mix it up in the box, or take a decent free kick, or someone with the knack for being in the right spot at the right time.

Watch these other matches and see how these other teams space themselves on offense and defense. We look nothing like them.
We need someone like a Clint Dempsey who has a nose for goal. Stick him up top, don't ask him to participate in the buildup except for simple 1-2 type passing, and let Pulisic, Weah, McKennie etc. use their creativity to set him up.

Reaction Score
Because we don't have 330 people for whom futbol is life from the time they are 6 years old. We never will.

Our academy system does a good job of developing players but that doesn't draw from a big enough pool. I'm not going to rely on the football/basketball argument because I think that is too simplistic.

Most of our better players are still foreign born and/or went through some sort of academy. Most of this squad played together as U17 and U20's. Is that good?

Do entire college FB or Basketball teams make the NFL? They don't so it's fair to conclude the US approach puts out the best possible USMNT it can but doesn't produce enough player options to be a top world cup squad.

The US is consistently a top 16 squad. To move up, we need the goals, which is the most difficult player to develop.
You know much more about soccer than I ever will but I take exception to thoughts such as "We never will".
But you are a realist and I am an eternal optimist.

This is my last comment.

Some men see things as they are, and ask why. I dream of things that never were, and ask why not.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
You know much more about soccer than I ever will but I take exception to thoughts such as "We never will".
But you are a realist and I am an eternal optimist.

This is my last comment.

Some men see things as they are, and ask why. I dream of things that never were, and ask why not.

There is always a chance, but the odds are incredibly long. Youth soccer as an over organized recreational activity and pay to play advancement structure will be an impediment.

In the US every kid plays FB, baseball, or BB and every youth parent coach knows enough about them to teach basics to 5-8 yr olds regardless of where you live in the country. For soccer, you pretty much need to live in the right spot. A place with an embedded soccer culture, usually a combination of an immigrant community with established well performing youth leagues, or you need to be wealthy enough to pay for private instruction.

Clint Dempsey is the perfect example. He grew up on the Texas border, so he learned the game early then was committed enough to drive 3-4 hours each way when he became good enough to need better instruction/competition. He remains to date the most successful US born player to play in the EPL and he was a fringe starter for a mid-table team and had one or two what we'd consider all-star level seasons in his career.

He wasn't particularly good at anything except that nose (determination) for scoring. That alone carried him.

Whatever "that" is, spacial awareness, anticipation, vision, touch, physicality, guile, that made him a borderline world class goal scorer at his peak, we definitely need more of that on the MNT.

Ps. Just to upset Zoo, "Landycakes" Donovan was a better overall player than Dempsey but he never had the drive to prove himself in Europe beyond two successful midseason loan cameos with Everton. I guess he didn't want to deal with what Pulisic is dealing with. Donovan was a pure country club product.

Clint being a goal scorer, was a rarer type of player, less easily jerked around by managers to cover their own backside. Wing players are much more available and disposable.

Reaction Score
There is always a chance, but the odds are incredibly long. Youth soccer as an over organized recreational activity and pay to play advancement structure will be an impediment.

In the US every kid plays FB, baseball, or BB and every youth parent coach knows enough about them to teach basics to 5-8 yr olds regardless of where you live in the country. For soccer, you pretty much need to live in the right spot. A place with an embedded soccer culture, usually a combination of an immigrant community with established well performing youth leagues, or you need to be wealthy enough to pay for private instruction.

Clint Dempsey is the perfect example. He grew up on the Texas border, so he learned the game early then was committed enough to drive 3-4 hours each way when he became good enough to need better instruction/competition. He remains to date the most successful US born player to play in the EPL and he was a fringe starter for a mid-table team and had one or two what we'd consider all-star level seasons in his career.

He wasn't particularly good at anything except that nose (determination) for scoring. That alone carried him.

Whatever "that" is, spacial awareness, anticipation, vision, touch, physicality, guile, that made him a borderline world class goal scorer at his peak, we definitely need more of that on the MNT.

Ps. Just to upset Zoo, "Landycakes" Donovan was a better overall player than Dempsey but he never had the drive to prove himself in Europe beyond two successful midseason loan cameos with Everton. I guess he didn't want to deal with what Pulisic is dealing with. Donovan was a pure country club product.

Clint being a goal scorer, was a rarer type of player, less easily jerked around by managers to cover their own backside. Wing players are much more available and disposable.
We have plenty of youth leagues around here but I do think there is something to this. In some areas we have all of these academies and fancy facilities but I almost get the sense we are teaching our kids a kind of book soccer instead of street soccer. They're not out there playing hours upon hours trying to out-do each other at all costs like our kids do with basketball on the playgrounds. They show up, do the drills, play refereed games, but everything is so structured I don't think they develop the crazy skills and desire that kids learn on the playground.

We are such a large country and soccer is such a popular sport for kids, it just seems we should be doing better.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
We have plenty of youth leagues around here but I do think there is something to this. In some areas we have all of these academies and fancy facilities but I almost get the sense we are teaching our kids a kind of book soccer instead of street soccer. They're not out there playing hours upon hours trying to out-do each other at all costs like our kids do with basketball on the playgrounds. They show up, do the drills, play refereed games, but everything is so structured I don't think they develop the crazy skills and desire that kids learn on the playground.

We are such a large country and soccer is such a popular sport for kids, it just seems we should be doing better.

There is a difference between a youth league where every kid dreams of being the next Messi and a league that is something to keeps kids off their phones.

Let's be clear, we have been doing better. 2018 was a blip because US Soccer got lax after the Project 2010 generation aged out. Prior to 1990, we didn't even sniff qualifying, from 1994-2000 there were no expectations at all. Since 2002, we have been a consistent Top 15/Top 20 squad. Choking only in 2006 vs Ghana. The US is a respectable side and has been for a while now. The question is can we do better. We caught a break in 2002 playing Mexico in the round of 16. Beating NED yesterday would have been our biggest scalp (though not biggest upset) since 1950 (Eng), bigger than Columbia in 1994 or Spain in 2009 Confederations Cup and those were huge upsets.

I would expect to make the quarterfinal at home in 2026. Anything less would be a disappointment. We did learn one thing; we need our players playing in Europe in the top five leagues (Eng, Ger, Spain, Italy, France). Not saying MLS players shouldn't be on the squad but they should make every attempt to play vs better competition. I want to see Miles Robinson playing overseas in the next two years. He won't be getting better in Atlanta.

Reaction Score
There is a difference between a youth league where every kid dreams of being the next Messi and a league that is something to keeps kids off their phones.

Let's be clear, we have been doing better. 2018 was a blip because US Soccer got lax after the Project 2010 generation aged out. Prior to 1990, we didn't even sniff qualifying, from 1994-2000 there were no expectations at all. Since 2002, we have been a consistent Top 15/Top 20 squad. Choking only in 2006 vs Ghana. The US is a respectable side and has been for a while now. The question is can we do better. We caught a break in 2002 playing Mexico in the round of 16. Beating NED yesterday would have been our biggest scalp (though not biggest upset) since 1950 (Eng), bigger than Columbia in 1994 or Spain in 2009 Confederations Cup and those were huge upsets.

I would expect to make the quarterfinal at home in 2026. Anything less would be a disappointment. We did learn one thing; we need our players playing in Europe in the top five leagues (Eng, Ger, Spain, Italy, France). Not saying MLS players shouldn't be on the squad but they should make every attempt to play vs better competition. I want to see Miles Robinson playing overseas in the next two years. He won't be getting better in Atlanta.
Getting lax wasn’t the issue. They pressured their best talent to stay home and play in the MLS and turned the U.S. soccer academy into a friends and family club. It was a systematic failure that they’re just now recovering from.

This World Cup was a step in the right direction, but unfortunately, they’re still pushing minutes quotas for MLS players and hiring unqualified coaches who are holding the team back.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This World Cup was a step in the right direction...
And only because the gap between the European and MLS players became so pronounced that Greggg couldn't ignore it. .

Reaction Score

But you're comparing things to the Brazils and countries like that.

Now compare them to the team we just played, which is also highly structured and routes everyone through their academies. These kids that go into the academies at 8 are not going home at night and taking part in neighborhood pickup games.

Reaction Score
I also keep saying this and I know people will pile on, but we're going to have a soccer talent deficit in the future because of the demise of funding from US Soccer.

I'm just basing this on things I saw personally:

1. US Soccer gave money to hire top coaches.
2. Players were being subsidized which meant they were reaching beyond the people who could pay tuition.

When US Soccer went bankrupt, they stopped sending funds to the DA clubs, and I know for a fact that a lot of the top coaches didn't return. One of the guys locally was not only a coach with a UEFA Pro license, he returned to Europe to coach a women's national team. He probably would have done so anyway, but he was paid handsomely here to coach 14 year old boys. The club didn't have the money provided by US Soccer for this purpose.

A ton of our players, like Reyna, Pulisic, Tyler Adams, McKennie, etc., come from out of the DA. Pulisic and Adams weren't even part of MLS DA clubs. They were part of independent clubs.

Sure, we'll still pull Europeans like Dest and Musah, etc., and we'll still have the cream of the crop of MLS Academies, but the lack of coaching and funding at Independent clubs is going to mean fewer of those top players.

Reaction Score
Bingo. There is so much that has to change systemically. In Spain great coaches take pride in cultivating the next great at the 10 year old level, 12, etc.

Here, if a coach is good they get shuttled to a head gig.

Reaction Score
Freddie Adu
I'm sure this has been discussed in the past but has Freddie Adu ever played in the World Cup? I was reading about his career path and was very surprised. He was supposed to be it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom