Mississippi Valley Post Game Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Mississippi Valley Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Clingan's draft stock will be almost entirely predicated on his defense/mobility and shooting form. The NBA doesn't care at all about his post moves. They barely care about his rebounding. His ability to pass is seen as a bonus.

His poor FT shooting is going to give them skepticism about him developing a 3-point shot. In order to counteract that, he'll need to figure out the FT line or going to have to actually show he can make 3s (or at least that his form looks promising.) So far, his 2 attempts and summer shootaround videos are not particularly promising. His shot is heavy with poor touch. Had he left this past summer, he could've skated by on mystique (he shoots them in practice and shootarounds!), but he needs form/results now as all prospects are more scrutinized the more film is on them.

His ability to guard in space is the biggest thing. He was high on draft boards due to his rim protection and the possibility of not being a total liability on switches and moving around the court. That liability is what kept Zach Edey in school last season. Clingan is very good in drop coverage when a guard attacks into him, but he's been worse than last year guarding on the perimeter. The muscle and weight he put on to work more in the post has hurt him in this area, along with the injury rust. He's going to have to show a lot more as he gets in game shape to keep his lottery projection.

He'll benefit from some anchoring bias, but he could absolutely slip to the Edey range if it doesn't go the right way.
End of the day hes not going in the 1st round as a 50% FT shooter. So you are 1000% right. He needs to shore that up or Danny won’t even be able to keep him on the floor during tight games

Reaction Score
Because he's slower than s^^t. Auror is crazy if he thinks Clingan could slip to the end of the second round or go undrafted.
Clingan doesn't exactly look speedy out there.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He looked like he was in great shape in Europe.

Think some are underestimating the affect of being off your feet for someone the size of Clingan can do to him. He should needs some more time to work back is all.

It’s not like it was a wrist injury like Andre last year where he can work on his conditioning.

Reaction Score
Gonna be honest, I’m not seeing this decent play from Ball. He’s consistently toast on D, making layups much harder than they should be, and the shot isn’t falling yet.

I see the vision with him, but I think it’s fair to call this his wake-up call to D1 college hoops. He’s gonna have to be better than this if we’re gonna have any depth.
He isn't Stephon Castle or some other one and done player. He is going to have develop his game more and that is exactly what he is doing. Sorry he hasn't been aa polished as Castle but he never was supposed to be. He came in as an athletic guard who could create his own shot but needs to improve his stroke before he can improve. He wasn't a lead guard either and you cam tell he needs to improve his handle. He has been aggressive and looking for his shots and shown some nice moves. Patience would do you good. It is only the 3rd game and he was forced into a starting spot. Give him time and I bet st the end of the season he will be an integral part of the offense whether comomg off the bench or starting.

Reaction Score
He needs to dunk a lot more. And make the +1.
He dunked a lot last year and showed good hops doing it. Not this year. Everything’s a layup.

Must be that the foot is either still bothering him and/or the time off negatively impacted his jumping ability.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It's the entire post you responded to. Nothing here is my opinion, these are all objective numbers coming straight from KenPom:

"We're not exceptionally young this season, we're barely younger than last year. Average D1 experience was 2.25 years last year which was 113th in the country and this year's it's 2.13 which is 106th"
My take is you have two players, Tristen and Alex, in the starting lineup that have played significant minutes together last season. Donovan played many of his minutes with the reserves when Alex and Triston were resting.

Cam has to unlearn his Rutgers system and relearn Hurley's system. Castle is obvious. Donovan has a significantly different role as a starter as opposed to a reserve.

You and @cohenzone are both correct. You in pointing out age numbers and rankings; cohenzone pointing out experience playing as a unit. The bench is self explanatory. Only Diarra has played a lot of minutes for UConn as a reserve. His role is identical to last season prior to his injury. Sampson and the pips are new to this role.

Reaction Score
Regardless of his draft stock, he's going to absolutely dominate in college this season.
I hope you're right. I do not know whether it's the injury or carrying extra weight, but in the three games so far, his mobility is not what it was last year.
Interestingly, I heard Edy lost a bunch of weight to improve his mobility.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Think some are underestimating the affect of being off your feet for someone the size of Clingan can do to him. He should needs some more time to work back is all.

It’s not like it was a wrist injury like Andre last year where he can work on his conditioning.

This 100%. He looks slower than last year, and people think it's just a coincidence that he's coming off of a foot injury and not putting any weight on it for a month?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

This Clingan conversation will look incredibly stupid in a month
This 100%. He looks slower than last year, and people think it's just a coincidence that he's coming off of a foot injury and not putting any weight on it for a month?

He's got about 10-15 lbs to drop along with getting his conditioning correct. You can see he is thicker in the stomach right now than he was by end of last season. Learning how to limit calorie intake when your ability to excercise and burn calories is tough for youngin's to understand.

I was fully okay with Hurley playing him gassed last night. I wouldn't do it every game but I was fine with it last night.

Reaction Score
He dunked a lot last year and showed good hops doing it. Not this year. Everything’s a layup.

Must be that the foot is either still bothering him and/or the time off negatively impacted his jumping ability.
He can dunk by barely jumping. I want to see Dr J tomahawks.

Reaction Score
Clingan's draft stock will be almost entirely predicated on his defense/mobility and shooting form. The NBA doesn't care at all about his post moves. They barely care about his rebounding. His ability to pass is seen as a bonus.

His poor FT shooting is going to give them skepticism about him developing a 3-point shot. In order to counteract that, he'll need to figure out the FT line or going to have to actually show he can make 3s (or at least that his form looks promising.) So far, his 2 attempts and summer shootaround videos are not particularly promising. His shot is heavy with poor touch. Had he left this past summer, he could've skated by on mystique (he shoots them in practice and shootarounds!), but he needs form/results now as all prospects are more scrutinized the more film is on them.

His ability to guard in space is the biggest thing. He was high on draft boards due to his rim protection and the possibility of not being a total liability on switches and moving around the court. That liability is what kept Zach Edey in school last season. Clingan is very good in drop coverage when a guard attacks into him, but he's been worse than last year guarding on the perimeter. The muscle and weight he put on to work more in the post has hurt him in this area, along with the injury rust. He's going to have to show a lot more as he gets in game shape to keep his lottery projection.

He'll benefit from some anchoring bias, but he could absolutely slip to the Edey range if it doesn't go the right way.
Could all the negatives so far this year lead to a third year in school to improve his shooting and mobility?
Or is another year more likely to expose weaknesses and drop him lower in the draft?

Reaction Score
Could all the negatives so far this year lead to a third year in school to improve his shooting and mobility?
Or is another year more likely to expose weaknesses and drop him lower in the draft?
If he drops in the draft projections to the point that people think he might come back, then he will definitely go because it could get even worse next year.

If he goes from lottery to late 1st, he's staring at not even getting a guaranteed contract with an unimpressive junior year in college.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Clingan doesn't exactly look speedy out there.

200.gif

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I don't know where Clingan will end up being drafted but the fact that any belief in anything was solidified by a 30 point slog over a bad team on November 14 has to be sarcasm.
Why? Just curious, and not even disagreeing. I haven't really seen anything of note this season other than 1) he's huge, and 2) he can't shoot FTs worth a lick. We'll get a much better sense of his NBA draft potential over the weekend.

I can't help but think he's coming back from injury and he's the age of many freshman in the draft. He'll be younger than 3 of the top-5 picks from the last draft, I believe. The Thompsons and Miller were all pushing 21 by draft day IIRC.
I hope I’m proven wrong because his success is tied to our success this year.

His FT shooting is concerning and he doesn’t move well. I don’t think he can guard Dickenson though, that will be another test.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom