Mississippi Valley Post Game Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Mississippi Valley Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
He is rightfully so buried on the bench at KU. We lucked out big time by missing on him and getting Spencer instead.
Looks like he was good in their first cupcake game, not good in their second cupcake game, and did absolutely nothing against Kentucky in dwindling minutes.

If he was the 6th man before, he may be plummeting down the depth chart. Either that or Kansas has no depth.

Reaction Score
Can’t read this whole thread. I just don’t know how many people don’t get how young this team is. 2 grad students but most of the guts of the team are sophs and freshmen, tonight missing the best of the freshmen. It’s 3 games into the season and they waxed these teams the way you would expect No way, at least this early in the season, is this team going to resemble last year’s team that had 3 guys go pro with remaining eligibility and a 4th transfer. And that team had it’s struggles

Clingan obviously needs to improve his foul shooting. Count me as one who thinks his form isn’t awful, his accuracy is. Gives me hope he can improve.
The reason is we keep talking about repeating. That's the context upon which we measure this team. Otherwise, your point would make sense.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score

This was my first time viewing this. Was on plane during the game last night watched it this morning.
This was a weird game. Everything he said was so spot on. We should be happy allowed 32% on field goals, shot 52% made 11 threes and the game was a slog. He is so insightful when it comes to how he manages the human element and not X’s and O’s. All the freshman could have played better but he explained why they did not. And in a kind of way explained what happens when you start five freshman no matter if they are 5* or 4* they are just starting to mature as adults everything about their lives has changed and that takes time to adapt. Ball will be a star at UConn. To me I agree with the Johnson comments but he also made top ten plays. We have to get him to -lay with more intention. He was getting out rebounded by guys 5” smaller than him. I think the news on SC right before the start of the game got to them a bit and threw off their rhythm. We played without passion to some degree.

Reaction Score
Clingan is not one dimensional, his post moves around the basket have improved a bunch already and he's obviously great off of lobs. That doesn't mean he's perfect, the FT shooting has to improve even if it's a small sample of struggles. The defense too, to make sure he doesn't commit stupid fouls.

I'm not worried about Castle, there's no conclusions to draw yet off his 12 FG attempts about his offensive game hurting us. He's a capable shooter from outside, and that's the reason why he's able to drive so successfully and get shots at the basket. If he's getting the basket with ease I have no issue with a lot of his shots coming at the rim
Clingan not one dimensional? Are you serious???? It is a dunk or a layup......but only if its uncontested. And I believe he will get better with time. But this year? He is very much a one dimensional player. We MUST hope and pray that AK, Castle, Spenser and TN become the primary offensive contributors, because that's the only way Clingan will have enough space to do anything offensively. And I did not even mention his atrocious free throw percentage.

Reaction Score
I bet you do have the same feeling you had this time last year. And you were wrong then as well.
You clearly do not know what you are talking about. I thought we were a final 4 team last year. And I felt that way even through our January slump, because I saw how refs were calling our games. We were a complete team. We had slump busters. We had multiple spurts on every game. We had ferocious defenders. We had no weaknesses. Cannot say the same about this team.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Don’t need or even want Castle hanging out on the perimeter shooting 3’s. We have three starters doing that now, and Clingan posting down low.

Castle’s strength, getting in the lane and taking mid range shots and taking it to the hole, is the perfect complement to our outside/inside game.

Him not playing last night was a major factor in the team not looking as balanced offensively as they did the first two games.

In retrospect, starting Samson instead of Ball would have been a more affective starting five, with Samson bringing shot blocking, an inside presence, instead of Ball bringing another perimeter player.
I don’t think Castle should just hang out outside. I’m saying it helps if he is enough of an outside threat to make good teams play an honest perimeter defense.

Reaction Score
I am also happy with Spencer. But I will reserve my opinion on Timberlake until after we play Kansas.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
My hot take is that last night Clingan solidified my belief that he will be a fringe 1st round draft pick. Not top 10 or lottery.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Clingan is not one dimensional, his post moves around the basket have improved a bunch already and he's obviously great off of lobs. That doesn't mean he's perfect, the FT shooting has to improve even if it's a small sample of struggles. The defense too, to make sure he doesn't commit stupid fouls.

I'm not worried about Castle, there's no conclusions to draw yet off his 12 FG attempts about his offensive game hurting us. He's a capable shooter from outside, and that's the reason why he's able to drive so successfully and get shots at the basket. If he's getting the basket with ease I have no issue with a lot of his shots coming at the rim
I basically agree. My only hesitation with Castle is wanting to see what happens against real competition. He totally used Stonehill, especially in the 2nd half. Indiana, Kansas and a bunch of BE teams will show more. I thought in person he looks stronger than on a TV screen.

Reaction Score
My hot take is that last night Clingan solidified my belief that he will be a fringe 1st round draft pick. Not top 10 or lottery.
This draft is REALLY weak. And he’s clearly not 100%

Reaction Score

Why? Just curious, and not even disagreeing. I haven't really seen anything of note this season other than 1) he's huge, and 2) he can't shoot FTs worth a lick. We'll get a much better sense of his NBA draft potential over the weekend.

I can't help but think he's coming back from injury and he's the age of many freshman in the draft. He'll be younger than 3 of the top-5 picks from the last draft, I believe. The Thompsons and Miller were all pushing 21 by draft day IIRC.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
If he's better than a 35% shooter from behind the arc than you want him taking more 3s than 2s unless all those 2s are dunks. This is just modern basketball now. 3s or shots in the paints. I can't find a 3pt % from last year but I thought it was pretty high. He shots 85% from the FT line. He'll likely be a very good shooter here.
I don’t subscribe to that theory and have given my reasons in depth about why on this board.

Basketball just isn’t a math equation.

Reaction Score
I don’t think Castle should just hang out outside. I’m saying it helps if he is enough of an outside threat to make good teams play an honest perimeter defense.
I get that. I’m saying we already have three shooters forcing the opposing team to play perimeter D.

Reaction Score
I really think Clingan will benefit immensely from just gathering himself and settling down in the post. Some of his shots look rushed and awkward, and sometimes looks like he’s shooting before he even takes a look at the rim.

Reaction Score
I don't know where Clingan will end up being drafted but the fact that any belief in anything was solidified by a 30 point slog over a bad team on November 14 has to be sarcasm.
We haven't even played a real game yet and the board is a total disaster. It should be fun around here when we lose our first game.

Reaction Score
We haven't even played a real game yet and the board is a total disaster. It should be fun around here when we lose our first game.
Go back to the losing streak. Psychiatrists were booked solid just on UConn patients.

Reaction Score
Did anyone talk about Clingan stretching and moving gingerly towards the end of his playing time last night?

It scared me given his preseason foot issue.

Reaction Score
Good to hear. From TV, it appeared as if many seats down low were empty.
72169984549__590DD672-B287-4F6E-93C9-B52A2A0E17AB.jpeg

Reaction Score
Clingan's draft stock will be almost entirely predicated on his defense/mobility and shooting form. The NBA doesn't care at all about his post moves. They barely care about his rebounding. His ability to pass is seen as a bonus.

His poor FT shooting is going to give them skepticism about him developing a 3-point shot. In order to counteract that, he'll need to figure out the FT line or going to have to actually show he can make 3s (or at least that his form looks promising.) So far, his 2 attempts and summer shootaround videos are not particularly promising. His shot is heavy with poor touch. Had he left this past summer, he could've skated by on mystique (he shoots them in practice and shootarounds!), but he needs form/results now as all prospects are more scrutinized the more film is on them.

His ability to guard in space is the biggest thing. He was high on draft boards due to his rim protection and the possibility of not being a total liability on switches and moving around the court. That liability is what kept Zach Edey in school last season. Clingan is very good in drop coverage when a guard attacks into him, but he's been worse than last year guarding on the perimeter. The muscle and weight he put on to work more in the post has hurt him in this area, along with the injury rust. He's going to have to show a lot more as he gets in game shape to keep his lottery projection.

He'll benefit from some anchoring bias, but he could absolutely slip to the Edey range if it doesn't go the right way.

Reaction Score
Clingan's draft stock will be almost entirely predicated on his defense/mobility and shooting form. The NBA doesn't care at all about his post moves. They barely care about his rebounding. His ability to pass is seen as a bonus.

His poor FT shooting is going to give them skepticism about him developing a 3-point shot. In order to counteract that, he'll need to figure out the FT line or going to have to actually show he can make 3s (or at least that his form looks promising.) So far, his 2 attempts and summer shootaround videos are not particularly promising. His shot is heavy with poor touch. Had he left this past summer, he could've skated by on mystique (he shoots them in practice and shootarounds!), but he needs form/results now as all prospects are more scrutinized the more film is on them.

His ability to guard in space is the biggest thing. He was high on draft boards due to his rim protection and the possibility of not being a total liability on switches and moving around the court. That liability is what kept Zach Edey in school last season. Clingan is very good in drop coverage when a guard attacks into him, but he's been worse than last year guarding on the perimeter. The muscle and weight he put on to work more in the post has hurt him in this area, along with the injury rust. He's going to have to show a lot more as he gets in game shape to keep his lottery projection.

He'll benefit from some anchoring bias, but he could absolutely slip to the Edey range if it doesn't go the right way.
I was just going to ask why he’s considered a lottery pick and Edey might not get drafted.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom