Mississippi State Becomes Bracketology Fourth #1 Seed | The Boneyard

Mississippi State Becomes Bracketology Fourth #1 Seed

Reaction Score

I think they could go undefeated for the year (prior to the tournament, of course). Remember what Vic Schaefer said in his presser after they were steam-rolled by UConn in the tournament last year.

In case you forgot, here it is yet again.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There were a lot of interesting lines of thought in Creme's latest report. His remarks regarding why Miss St passes Maryland in his latest seeding reinforce some of the observations made on this board about the Terps apparent weak OOC schedule:

"While Maryland certainly passes the "eye test" for a No. 1 seed, the Terrapins nonconference slate lacked depth, and the Big Ten has not provided the same opportunity for Maryland's strength of schedule to grow in the same way as Mississippi State."

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
He has 4 AAC teams! Temple and Tulane joining FSU and Uconn. Hope it happens. I had posted something along these lines a few weeks ago - glad it is being perceived elsewhere as well.

UConn pushing the American
For those who still feel UConn's dominance is bad for the game, this week's projection is evidence to the contrary. Sure, the Huskies routinely dismantle American Athletic Conference opponents before the first media timeout. But look closer: Three other AAC teams are in this week's field.

South Florida, Temple and Tulane might not have cranked the UConn code, but they are beating others -- enough, at least -- to be contenders to reach the NCAA tournament. The pursuit of UConn appears to be making them better. Perhaps it's subtle and slow, but the league as a whole has gotten better and deeper. That is always good for the game.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
He has 4 AAC teams! Temple and Tulane joining FSU and Uconn. Hope it happens. I had posted something along these lines a few weeks ago - glad it is being perceived elsewhere as well.

UConn pushing the American
For those who still feel UConn's dominance is bad for the game, this week's projection is evidence to the contrary. Sure, the Huskies routinely dismantle American Athletic Conference opponents before the first media timeout. But look closer: Three other AAC teams are in this week's field.

South Florida, Temple and Tulane might not have cranked the UConn code, but they are beating others -- enough, at least -- to be contenders to reach the NCAA tournament. The pursuit of UConn appears to be making them better. Perhaps it's subtle and slow, but the league as a whole has gotten better and deeper. That is always good for the game.

:eek: Conference realignment in the middle of the season?

:p

Reaction Score

I think they could go undefeated for the year (prior to the tournament, of course). Remember what Vic Schaefer said in his presser after they were steam-rolled by UConn in the tournament last year.

In case you forgot, here it is yet again.

How could a team we beat by 60 last year become a number 1 this year? It just doesn't add up. Although I do wish them a lot of success.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
He said it last year.. He wanted to emulate UCONN... he's holding to his word... Good for him. Lots of respect.

"I wanna chase that team." Pointedly saying his measuring sticks were no longer in the SEC. Classy guy. His best line though had to do with letting UConn run on you: "Then you can't get the bone out of the water fast enough."

Reaction Score
How could a team we beat by 60 last year become a number 1 this year? It just doesn't add up. Although I do wish them a lot of success.

Let's see. They beat an injury depleted Oregon, needed overtime to get past Iowa, and couldn't break 60 against Arkansas-Little Rock. Oh, and they've ran roughshod through the ferocious basket of kittens also known as the SEC. Let's see how they look after the 23rd and South Carolina - whom it must be said has had an up and down sort of year but should grind MS into a maroon colored paste.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
The biggest thing for me from watching Mississippi State is their team growth. I feel like the staff have a better handle of Vivians. She used to just stand around and throw up 3's. Now she is got a good mid range and her defense is better. She had a couple of great steals in the Tennessee game. Player growth is important and I think the staff at Mississippi State see that. McGowan is way better than last season. She would miss point blank lays ups last season and she recently went 12/13 ( I think). They play as team and if they don't play defense he benches them. I think the South Carolina game will be their true test.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Bummer for Stanford that they can't host the first two rounds. Some 6-seed or thereabouts is gonna get damn lucky.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
As long as A'ja is back before the 23rd, which she should be; Mississippi State is not coming into Columbia and beating the Gamecocks. MSU has looked much improved this season, though. Schaefer is a good coach.

On another note, USC tied Tennessee's SEC Consecutive wins record yesterday and will surpass it with a home win over Mississippi on Thursday.

Reaction Score
Mississippi State has played one ranked team out of conference in Texas. The SEC teams seems to never schedule what they should out of conference and it's not like the SEC has proven to have many title contenders in it in recent years. Glad they are improving but I don't think they are a 1 seed by any stretch.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Mississippi State has played one ranked team out of conference in Texas. The SEC teams seems to never schedule what they should out of conference and it's not like the SEC has proven to have many title contenders in it in recent years. Glad they are improving but I don't think they are a 1 seed by any stretch.

*some* SEC teams.... South Carolina and Tennessee usually have better OOC schedules than almost everybody not named UConn.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
*some* SEC teams.... South Carolina and Tennessee usually have better OOC schedules than almost everybody not named UConn.

Was gonna say something earlier, but figured Id wait til one of the Little Carolina fans saw that post :p

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Well one thing is sure - ND has no chance of getting a #1 seed after tonight's loss to Tennessee.

Reaction Score
I think they can prove themselves next Monday against South Carolina. Do I think they will beat South Carolina,NO. I mentioned this previously, they have had a fairly weak schedule. I guess we will see. Should they be over Maryland, not in my opinion.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

I saw them against Tennessee and they won but didn't look great doing it.
In fact, they looked just like the team we kicked up and down the Bridgeport burbs.
South Carolina by 20

But of course, I picked ND for a big win tonight so don't mind my pickin. :)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
No chance?
Still waaay too early to say that.
Ok, you are very pro ND based on your ongoing threads support regardless of the apparent dysfunction and lack of chemistry. Plus their own lack of size and Turner's inability to play big when they need her has me confused by your loyalty. Why the blind support?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Ok, you are very pro ND based on your ongoing threads support regardless of the apparent dysfunction and lack of chemistry. Plus their own lack of size and Turner's inability to play big when they need her has me confused by your loyalty. Why the blind support?

If MD loses to Ohio State... and ND runs the table.... then ND still has a chance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom