Minutes Played in OK St. game - welcome to reality | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Minutes Played in OK St. game - welcome to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
jake14mw, I think part of the OK game was just how our various guys were playing (hot/cold) and the matchups. I hope in competitive games the lineups are down to those factors and not just "play our starters", otherwise our depth isn't really depth and we end up like the last few years. Will the lineups tighten, sure - no argument there - but I think you're overstating it considering our team composition.

I hope SJ is able to provide Karaban some relief when he comes back because 35min+ games aren't likely to be sustainable.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I think the assumption is Alabama and Iowa State were both competitive games. Maybe even Oregon. They certainly had some pro-caliber players. So out of the 3 (maybe 4) competitive games, Oklahoma State looks like the anomaly.

Interesting to think that, had we not won the game, it probably wouldn’t have been due to X’s and O’s whatsoever, but due to running players into the ground - night and day difference between first half play and energy levels and second half. Most of the knock on Hurley has been game-planning and X’s and O’s which certainly has been much improved. He obviously noticed he accidentally ran players too hard, which is a much easier fix than having to fix the entire offensive and defensive scheme
I doubt if it was an accident but rather a test. I think he just has a propensity to like a rotation that way. I think we are going to need to run the bodies against better opponents as well the not so great. I think it is part of the identity of this team to run the other team into the ground; not our own team (seven-man rotation with token bench appearances) like he has done in the past. Remember how run down Sanogo was in the second half of last year?

Reaction Score
This thread is embarrassing with some of these takes

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Replying to everyone in the thread to save time.
the big lebowski opinion GIF

Reaction Score
I know we're all been loving how deep the team is, and loving all the contributions from everyone, but I think the minutes guys got last night will be very similar to where things wind up settling in during COMPETITIVE games. The only thing that I think was a little out of whack was Karaban getting 37 minutes. That will be a rarity. I actually think it's important for certain guys (especially someone like Hawkins) to have games where they get a lot of minutes to remind them that conditioning is important, and they may be called upon to play 40 minutes if it's needed.

Certain things will vary from night to night based on who's hot, and people getting in foul trouble, but the stars play more minutes in big games.

View attachment 81412
I almost made that dreaded, silly post where you haven't read the previous posts and then you post, post.

Samson has yet to return and the bench got 34 of 200 available minutes. Not exactly a show of even handedness.... and imho, I like the split of minutes with maybe Karaban a bit too much.

Reaction Score
Loving our depth doesn't necessarily mean minutes. Although it is great if the bench can come in and command minutes because they are playing well. Having quality depth is the key here. The team has quality depth. Yes, it can go 10 deep if it needs to but doesn't have to. So far however it has proven that different players including the bench can come in and contribute when starters are having off nights. Joey, Clingan, and Diarra have all come in when the starters were not playing well, or had foul trouble or whatever and put up numbers to help the team win. Alleyne has had a little bit of a tough go the last few games but I expect he will play to the back of his baseball card eventually. And they don't even have Johnson yet who should contribute some once back.

Reaction Score
jake14mw, I think part of the OK game was just how our various guys were playing (hot/cold) and the matchups. I hope in competitive games the lineups are down to those factors and not just "play our starters", otherwise our depth isn't really depth and we end up like the last few years. Will the lineups tighten, sure - no argument there - but I think you're overstating it considering our team composition.

I hope SJ is able to provide Karaban some relief when he comes back because 35min+ games aren't likely to be sustainable.
Sure, absolutely. I think both Sanogo and Hawkins are GREAT players. But both of them have demonstated at times that they certainly aren't great on certain nights. And that is why depth is important. With most teams, if both of their great players play poorly on a given night, they have a good chance of being beaten. On this team, there is not a big dropoff. The Iowa St game is the perfect example. The two of them combined for 6 points, and UConn won by 18! The team was playing better when Clingan was in. If that is working, stay with it absolutely.

Also, there's nothing magical about the 5 that "start". But usually, the 5 that start are those that are judged to be your best players. If I have the pre-season player of the year, he sure as hell shouldn't be on the bench for 15 minutes of the game if it's competitive. Hawkins is a stone cold killer. He has to be on the court for over 30 minutes if he's on. That's my opinion.

Reaction Score
First really close game, more minutes go to the starters. It's just the way the game is. Starters are starters for a reason. Clingan should have gotten a few more minutes though.

Vs. Xavier
1672627533077.png

Vs. Ok St.
1672627652120.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads