Minutes Played in OK St. game - welcome to reality | The Boneyard

Minutes Played in OK St. game - welcome to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know we're all been loving how deep the team is, and loving all the contributions from everyone, but I think the minutes guys got last night will be very similar to where things wind up settling in during COMPETITIVE games. The only thing that I think was a little out of whack was Karaban getting 37 minutes. That will be a rarity. I actually think it's important for certain guys (especially someone like Hawkins) to have games where they get a lot of minutes to remind them that conditioning is important, and they may be called upon to play 40 minutes if it's needed.

Certain things will vary from night to night based on who's hot, and people getting in foul trouble, but the stars play more minutes in big games.

1670008931809.png

Reaction Score
Karaban deserves to be out there, but he seemed gassed and mismatched by the end. OKST was looking to exploit that matchup toward the end of the game. I think some of those 37 minutes could have been distributed to other guys to stay fresh

Reaction Score
Even Hurley said he didn't like how he used the minutes. He said he didn't play Joey enough. Seven is not enough for Clingan even with Adama was playing out of his mind. Alex was toast out there. 37 was way to many for him. Diarra probably needed more minutes as well when OSU started penetrating in the second half.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I know we're all been loving how deep the team is, and loving all the contributions from everyone, but I think the minutes guys got last night will be very similar to where things wind up settling in during COMPETITIVE games. The only thing that I think was a little out of whack was Karaban getting 37 minutes. That will be a rarity. I actually think it's important for certain guys (especially someone like Hawkins) to have games where they get a lot of minutes to remind them that conditioning is important, and they may be called upon to play 40 minutes if it's needed.

Certain things will vary from night to night based on who's hot, and people getting in foul trouble, but the stars play more minutes in big games.

View attachment 81412

I disagree.

Hawkins admitted he was gassed. Hurley said that Sanogo's tank was empty in the 2nd half, and Karaban was dragging based on the box score and even though he was here last Spring, he is still a freshman with potentially 30+ games remaining (22RS, 3BE, & Hopefully 6 NCAA).

Hurley also said that Calcaterra has earned more minutes than he got yesterday. Those nine guys will continue to play, but the minutes will probably be distributed differently. Also did you know that Samson Johnson isn't playing right now?

Reaction Score
Karaban deserves to be out there, but he seemed gassed and mismatched by the end. OKST was looking to exploit that matchup toward the end of the game. I think some of those 37 minutes could have been distributed to other guys to stay fresh
Don't forget Johnson is coming back from an injury!!
I think his injury is pushing Karaban’s minute up as he started there in game 1 and is another big body to put in if you do not want for 4 guards

Reaction Score

View attachment 81412
I think the assumption is Alabama and Iowa State were both competitive games. Maybe even Oregon. They certainly had some pro-caliber players. So out of the 3 (maybe 4) competitive games, Oklahoma State looks like the anomaly.

Reaction Score

View attachment 81412

Everyone was gassed...

Except Andre - that mutant alien athlete/monster coulda played 80 minutes no problem. Seriously he was still an energizer bunny with 3 minutes to go.

God I hope he figures his shooting stroke out and is able to slow down his handle to get all the way to the rim because he will be a super star in the NBA w/ space if he can get there

Reaction Score
I think the assumption is Alabama and Iowa State were both competitive games. Maybe even Oregon. They certainly had some pro-caliber players. So out of the 3 (maybe 4) competitive games, Oklahoma State looks like the anomaly.
Yes, you are right, they were. What happens with most teams though, is that the bench is very deep in the beginning of the year, and then people prove themselves, and the stars earn their minutes, and as you get to crunch time the bench gets shorter. Sanogo and Hawkins are stars, stars play as much as you need them to. This team is so deep and talented that we haven't needed them to... yet.

Reaction Score
It didn’t feel like Joey C played 10 minutes, he played the last 2 minutes of the half, then 8 minutes in the 2nd half. If there’s complaints about the minutes every game that’s a great problem to have.

Reaction Score
I disagree.

Hawkins admitted he was gassed. Hurley said that Sanogo's tank was empty in the 2nd half, and Karaban was dragging based on the box score and even though he was here last Spring, he is still a freshman with potentially 30+ games remaining (22RS, 3BE, & Hopefully 6 NCAA).

Hurley also said that Calcaterra has earned more minutes than he got yesterday. Those nine guys will continue to play, but the minutes will probably be distributed differently. Also did you know that Samson Johnson isn't playing right now?
If Hawkins admitted he was gassed, he better work on his conditioning. When he's on he can score any way he wants. When the team needs him to play 36 minutes, he better be able to. He looks to be working very hard on the defensive end, so it's tough to play so hard on both ends and not come out. As for Sanogo, 33 minutes should not be too much to ask. Clingan has been so good that Sanogo shouldn't need to play more than 32 very much at all, but if it's necessary once or twice, it's necessary.

I see no reason for Karaban to have played 37 minutes in that game last night, it wasn't his best game.

And I agree with Hurley, Joey C. has earned more than 10 minutes so far, I hope that continues, but I could see his difficulty with defense keeping him around 10 minutes or so.

As far as Johnson goes, I was going to mention him. I think if he was back, then of course Karaban would have played way less than 37 minutes. I'll admit, I don't get the hype with Johnson. I didn't see anything last year that would lead me to believe that he will be getting that many minutes when he returns. Just too many other guys that have been deserving of more minutes than they are already getting. I hope I'm wrong! And if that happens, I think we'll be a #1 seed in March!

Reaction Score
People keep misinterpreting depth. It doesn't have to strictly mean going 10 deep every night.

It can be different guys stepping up on a given night. They've had a different leading scorer the last 4 or 5 games. The minutes have been far from consistent for each guy all while racking up 3 Q1 wins and 1 Q2 win.

That's depth. It's also not an endorsement of how guys were allocated minutes last night but pulling 1 example as the "ah-ha" moment when the prior 8 showed something totally different is non-sensical.

Husky25

Reaction Score
If Hawkins admitted he was gassed, he better work on his conditioning. When he's on he can score any way he wants. When the team needs him to play 36 minutes, he better be able to. He looks to be working very hard on the defensive end, so it's tough to play so hard on both ends and not come out. As for Sanogo, 33 minutes should not be too much to ask. Clingan has been so good that Sanogo shouldn't need to play more than 32 very much at all, but if it's necessary once or twice, it's necessary.

I see no reason for Karaban to have played 37 minutes in that game last night, it wasn't his best game.

And I agree with Hurley, Joey C. has earned more than 10 minutes so far, I hope that continues, but I could see his difficulty with defense keeping him around 10 minutes or so.

As far as Johnson goes, I was going to mention him. I think if he was back, then of course Karaban would have played way less than 37 minutes. I'll admit, I don't get the hype with Johnson. I didn't see anything last year that would lead me to believe that he will be getting that many minutes when he returns. Just too many other guys that have been deserving of more minutes than they are already getting. I hope I'm wrong! And if that happens, I think we'll be a #1 seed in March!

Serious question: Did you see anything in 2004-'05 (or the previous two seasons, for that matter) to make you believe Hilton Armstrong's minutes should nearly triple in 2005-'06? Armstrong averaged 10.7 m/g from 2003-2005, before 27.7 in 2006 and working that into a late lottery pick.

Sometimes things just click. I personally thought Armstrong was another Antric Klaiber.

Re: Hawkins, that is part of the point. The team shouldn't need him to play 36 minutes regularly, but he had the hot hand in the 1st half. When it wasn't carrying over to the 2nd, he should have gotten a blow. Unfortunately this is not a video game, and making that determination is indeed an art.

Reaction Score
Serious question: Did you see anything in 2004-'05 (or the previous two seasons, for that matter) to make you believe Hilton Armstrong's minutes should nearly triple in 2005-'06? Armstrong averaged 10.7 m/g from 2003-2005, before 27.7 in 2006 and working that into a late lottery pick.

Sometimes things just click. I personally thought Armstrong was another Antric Klaiber.

Re: Hawkins, that is part of the point. The team shouldn't need him to play 36 minutes regularly, but he had the hot hand in the 1st half. When it wasn't carrying over to the 2nd, he should have gotten a blow. Unfortunately this is not a video game, and making that determination is indeed an art.
Ha, yeah, I certainly didn't see Armstrong developing like that! Listen, I hope Johnson does too, but there's only 200 minutes to be divided up between 10 guys, and stars will play more during crunch time as the season wears on.

Regarding Hawkins, you're right, this team should hardly ever need him to play 36 minutes, but I think he's good enough where he should be playing 32 on his good nights when needed.

Reaction Score

The BY will never understand that guys can make huge jumps. Joey can't play defense and never will be able to. Once the BY decides what you are --that is your fate.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The BY will never understand that guys can make huge jumps. Joey can't play defense an never will be able too. Once the BY decides what you are --that is your fate.
I know I just start posting more on the main boards just recently, but when did you become rational? ;)

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
It’s a game where Johnson would’ve played some Karaban minutes, but watching live I doubt anyone had a problem with the rotation, besides maybe getting more Joey buckets out there. Donovan had one of his freshman style games.

Reaction Score

View attachment 81412
It's one game Bubba. There's no way in hell Clingan is going to be at 7 mpg and Hurley even said in the postgame he should've played Joey more and he will next time because Joey has earned it.

Now look at the boxscore from the previous game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom