Mike Aresco Unloads on CFB Playoff Committee & ESPN on Latest Rankings | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Mike Aresco Unloads on CFB Playoff Committee & ESPN on Latest Rankings

Reaction Score
My point is that USF is better than South Carolinal.

On what do you base USF being better than South Carolina. Personal preference. That they are in the AAC? Both polls have them ranked higher.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Auburn?

NC State and Virginia Tech are better than South Florida too.

The ACC is light years better than the AAC.

Clemson beat Boston College who is one slot behind USF in the composite computer rankings going into this week. (Wake and Lousiville were ahead of USF who Clemson beat too).

So by the composite computer rankings going into this weekend - Clemson has 5 wins better than USF and is working on #6 with South Carolina.

But other than that - sure.

SCAR beat Wofford and La Tech and lost to bunch of lousy SEC teams. They beat Tenn 15-6. USF would beat them easily.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
SCAR beat Wofford and La Tech and lost to bunch of lousy SEC teams. They beat Tenn 15-6. USF would beat them easily.

Sure they would. It’s nice that you think that but USF played 2 teams in the top 80 and lost to both of them.

South Carolina has three wins better than anyone USF beat.

But I’m sure they would beat them ‘easily’.

It’s amazing the posters in this thread aren’t millionaires retired from their gambling winnings.

Reaction Score
On what do you base USF being better than South Carolina. Personal preference. That they are in the AAC? Both polls have them ranked higher.
I recall a squad from Connecticut that stood no chance against USC in a bowl and allegedly didn't even belong on the same field... nuff said... same arguments made then. One advantage of having been around long enough is realizing there is a ton of BS that get recirculated .

Reaction Score
I recall a squad from Connecticut that stood no chance against USC in a bowl and allegedly didn't even belong on the same field... nuff said... same arguments made then. One advantage of having been around long enough is realizing there is a ton of BS that get recirculated .

So because UConn upset South Carolina in a meaningless bowl game in 2010 that makes USF better than South Carolina this year? Magical logic!

Reaction Score
So because UConn upset South Carolina in a meaningless bowl game in 2010 that makes USF better than South Carolina this year? Magical logic!
It's more logical than saying the SEC is better because it's the SEC. There are too many cases that prove the case otherwise year in and year out. How about Houston destroying OU? Or, USF taking down Auburn s few years back? As I said, once you get past the top few teams in any P5, they become rather unremarkabe and carry no presumptive entitlements of superiority.

Reaction Score
It's more logical than saying the SEC is better because it's the SEC. There are too many cases that prove the case otherwise year in and year out. How about Houston destroying OU? Or, USF taking down Auburn s few years back? As I said, once you get past the top few teams in any P5, they become rather unremarkabe and carry no presumptive entitlements of superiority.
The AAC is the 6th best CFB conference. There is no shame in that other than the line in the sand was drawn at 5 for cartel purposes and they control all the money. Do I think UCF can compete for a conference crown in the Big 12? Probably. The top 3 CFB conferences are the SEC, B1G,and the ACC. AAC is nowhere near that level, not when you have teams like UConn that right now would struggle in the Sun Belt and I'm being generous by not saying the CAA.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Sure they would. It’s nice that you think that but USF played 2 teams in the top 80 and lost to both of them.

South Carolina has three wins better than anyone USF beat.

But I’m sure they would beat them ‘easily’.

It’s amazing the posters in this thread aren’t millionaires retired from their gambling winnings.

They can't figure out the difference between #4 and #5. You think the ratings between 40 and 100 make any difference? Or are you saying that just being in the SEC makes a team Better?

These are the same people that has Miss State ranked in the top 20.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They can't figure out the difference between #4 and #5. You think the ratings between 40 and 100 make any difference? Or are you saying that just being in the SEC makes a team Better?

These are the same people that has Miss State ranked in the top 20.

I’m talking about composite computer rankings.

And Mississippi State is one of the 20-25 best teams in the country.

Did you miss when Florida stole their coach this weekend?

They lost to Mississippi? Did you miss when their QB dislocated his ankle in the first quarter?

Ratings between 40-100 aren’t any different? So there is no difference between Iowa and Rutgers? West Virginia and UNLV? Oregon and UMass?

Last edited:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
College Football Ranking Composite

Wisconsin is now #1 in the composite rankings. Can't wait for Saturday!!

If I'm reading this right, there are a bunch of computer models that have UCF higher than Oklahoma, even though the composite score is lower. There's even one computer ranking that has UCF at #1 (Wolfe?).

It's almost certain that they will not be able to play in the playoffs, even if they beat a Memphis team that is currently a composite #18. They would need a lot of luck to break their way...

Reaction Score
College Football Ranking Composite

Wisconsin is now #1 in the composite rankings. Can't wait for Saturday!!

Interesting that Georgia and Alabama, each with one loss, are ranked ahead of an Auburn team that has beaten both schools. Neither of the games were really close, fluke types of game, or where a key player was injured. I think you have to rank Auburn higher than both of them. Head to head has to mean something.

Reaction Score
Interesting that Georgia and Alabama, each with one loss, are ranked ahead of an Auburn team that has beaten both schools. Neither of the games were really close, fluke types of game, or where a key player was injured. I think you have to rank Auburn higher than both of them. Head to head has to mean something.

They still lost twice. Computers don't like losing. That's why Wisconsin is #1 and UCF is ranked higher than they probably should be. Why the old BCS system wasn't ONLY based on computer rankings.

Reaction Score
I still think South Florida would beat South Carolina by 10+ I don't feel sorry for them because of the awful OOC schedule they had this year, but that doesn't mean they aren't a good team or that there isn't an agenda in play when they get pushed outside the top 25. There is.

Reaction Score
UCF, USF and Memphis are P5 teams while there are at least 20 so called P5 teams that really aren't.

Unfortunately you can't pick your parents.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
2-10
7-6
6-7
2-10
1-11
2-10
4-8
3-9

What’s that you ask?

Memphis’ records from 2006-2013 in CUSA.

What a mighty mighty program.

I’m sure they are here to stay.

Reaction Score
2-10
7-6
6-7
2-10
1-11
2-10
4-8
3-9

What’s that you ask?

Memphis’ records from 2006-2013 in CUSA.

What a mighty mighty program.

I’m sure they are here to stay.

Yea but then they went 10-3 9-4 8-5 and 10-1 (so far). So the last third of the decade from when they've been in the American have been trending up for them. That's like rejecting a kid from college because through elementary and middle school he was a little goofy regardless of the turn around in high school. To you point.. I guess it could be a fluke and he could still be a dummy, but they're trending the right direction at the right time.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yea but then they went 10-3 9-4 8-5 and 10-1 (so far). So the last third of the decade from when they've been in the American have been trending up for them. That's like rejecting a kid from college because through elementary and middle school he was a little goofy regardless of the turn around in high school. To you point.. I guess it could be a fluke and he could still be a dummy, but they're trending the right direction at the right time.

There is a difference between teams and programs.

They have a really good team. I suspect they win on Saturday.

They are light years away from a good program.

Reaction Score
I have my reasons for disliking ESPN as much as anybody, but putting UCONN's Attendance issues on them is silly. They are not going to spend air time pumping up a team with a sub .500 record 5 out of the last 6 seasons. What could they possibly say? ESPN is a business, and The AAC as a whole is made up of schools with mostly small fickle fan bases. Not exactly a great group to be targeting. The blame ultimately has to fall on your administration for making terrible coaching hires that bottomed out a once promising program.

Being in The AAC isn't ideal, but it hasn't stopped other programs from competing at a high level. The key is consistently being able to make good hires. Coaching matters. Recruiting really matters. UCONN did neither well for half a decade and the product reflected it. You can say perception equals reality but when you are winning 4 games and recruiting below teams in Conference USA and The Sunbelt maybe it's time to point your fingers elsewhere than the media.

I didn't actually say that. I'm saying that even at 8-2, we'd still struggle to fill the Rent without ESPN deeming us a worthy program. UConn fans just can't swallow being sold tickets to see anything but high level sports events. We've tasted the big time. Unless the media starts calling the AAC "big time", the fans are unlikely to buy it. Our best hope is for ESPN to embrace the league as a power conference in an effort to get good programming at a better price. That could be accomplished by pressuring the P5 to accept the AAC at some level and by helping the AAC get a contract that makes competing feasible.

Reaction Score
ESPN can find value in the AAC that they can't get from bloated P5 contracts. ESPN can better afford maintaining the status quo if the AAC provides bigger returns. The only way the AAC can do more for everyone is to legitimize it and then underpay it, say $8,000,000 per year, per school.

So, the AAC schools have enough cash to compete for right now, the current P5 conferences keep their gravy train and ESPN draws way more eyeballs to the AAC. When current contracts expire, another reshuffle happens. If it isn't feasible, it isn't feasible. However, that USF/UCF game had to have had wheels turning. The American has produced great late season games each year. Those games look legit, not G5.

Reaction Score
Playing inside the lines drawn by the P5 cartel and glad handing the Committee is exactly what they hope for. Aresco should be at war for the blatant collusion and corruption. He should be calling them a cartel in public and impugning the system at every turn until they feel the heat.

UCF AD, Danny White is tired of getting no respect too!

UCF’s AD calls out Playoff committee for disrespecting AAC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom