Mike Aresco Unloads on CFB Playoff Committee & ESPN on Latest Rankings | The Boneyard

Mike Aresco Unloads on CFB Playoff Committee & ESPN on Latest Rankings

Reaction Score
Playing inside the lines drawn by the P5 cartel and glad handing the Committee is exactly what they hope for. Aresco should be at war for the blatant collusion and corruption. He should be calling them a cartel in public and impugning the system at every turn until they feel the heat.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I didn't have a very strong opinion of Aresco before, but I definitely appreciate him now having read these articles. He's fired up, and who can blame him with the way the AAC has performed? Now that he's making some noise about it, let's hope that the conference continues to perform well.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
His argument is fatally flawed.

They rank teams not conferences. Who Houston beat last year doesn’t matter.

Maybe it’s not their fault but they only beat Memphis and SMU, everyone else they beat to date stinks.

They are a couple of spots low maybe and that will work itself out if they beat USF and Memphis again. They will end up 7th or 8th where they belong if that happens.

Reaction Score
Mike Aresco is absolutely right but I doubt anyone will listen. But if he doesn’t say anything it is a sure bet nobody will. And even though O hate them, not including USF and brining in a very mediocre Boise at 9-2 and an 8-3 Miss State is beyond bogus.

Reaction Score
His argument is fatally flawed.

They rank teams not conferences. Who Houston beat last year doesn’t matter.

Maybe it’s not their fault but they only beat Memphis and SMU, everyone else they beat to date stinks.

They are a couple of spots low maybe and that will work itself out if they beat USF and Memphis again. They will end up 7th or 8th where they belong if that happens.
In fact that’s wrong. Mostly they rank leagues then teams. That’s why a 3 loss SEC team is in there. And because the B10 is perceived as weak because neither Ohio State nor ZMichigsn are great it stands to reason that Wisconsin is ranked 5th behind 2 1 loss teams. The whole thing is bogus. I never did but now I favor a legitimate tournament. Go back to 11 games end the season last week or sooner and give every league champ plus 6 at large teams bids,

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
There’s a lack of understanding about our league? Who is the one who should be enlightening folks? Oh... Aresco.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In fact that’s wrong. Mostly they rank leagues then teams. That’s why a 3 loss SEC team is in there. And because the B10 is perceived as weak because neither Ohio State nor ZMichigsn are great it stands to reason that Wisconsin is ranked 5th behind 2 1 loss teams. The whole thing is bogus. I never did but now I favor a legitimate tournament. Go back to 11 games end the season last week or sooner and give every league champ plus 6 at large teams bids,

Sure ignore the evidence. Like Wisconsin has been behind in the rankings because of their... gee I don’t know... schedule.

Do you think they don’t have the top 6 or so right? It’s bogus because UCF who has played no one isn’t where you think?

Reaction Score
There’s a lack of understanding about our league? Who is the one who should be enlightening folks? Oh... Aresco.
It's diplomatic pablum for the Committee ... it gives them some an excuse other than they are colluding scumbags that have no interest in learning anything

Reaction Score
The point about Mississippi State is a good one though.

UCF was in front of MSU last week. MSU beat Arkansas by 7, UCF crushed Temple. So how do you elevate MSU over them?

I think the AAC has proven that a solid core of its teams are as good as the top or midlevel of the P5. And that includes teams like Houston, Memphis, UCF, USF, Navy, and in prior years Cincinnati. It just doesn't have the top echelon teams like the top 5. Still, UCF is nowhere near the top 10.

Reaction Score
Sure UCF is a little underrated, but the "tell" of the whole scam is keeping down FSU so they can't get a quality win. It is blatantly transparently a Cartel.

Mike makes a ton of good points. I just don't know where he goes with it. Will they stop interviewing him now that he's called people out and just snipe from their perches, or just ignore him altogether?

Last edited:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The irony of course being that UCF has played their division games to date against Temple, UConn, ECU and Cincinnati.

Why doesn’t anyone respect their conference?????!!!?!!?!?
This is very true which is why the P5 are making sure a G5 school will never make the playoffs by not scheduling them OOC. They are making sure schools don’t get a chance to show they deserve to be ranked higher by not giving them the chance to get quality wins like Houston had the chance to do a couple of years back.

Props to Arresco for calling out UCF being ranked low but it won’t matter. They’ll (P5) continue to close ranks by scheduling OOC games against conference mates instead of giving a G5 school a chance to add a good win to their resume.

It really is the slow end of CFB until it all gets blown up when the TV deals run out and the money dries up and the select schools will break away and form their own league, which will basically be minor league football.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is very true which is why the P5 are making sure a G5 school will never make the playoffs by not scheduling them OOC. They are making sure schools don’t get a chance to show they deserve to be ranked higher by not giving them the chance to get quality wins like Houston had the chance to do a couple of years back.

Props to Arresco for calling out UCF being ranked low but it won’t matter. They’ll (P5) continue to close ranks by scheduling OOC games against conference mates instead of giving a G5 school a chance to add a good win to their resume.

It really is the slow end of CFB until it all gets blown up when the TV deals run out and the money dries up and the select schools will break away and form their own league, which will basically be minor league football.

Now if Aresco spent his time arguing that the AAC teams will do it Boise style going forward that would be fair.

The problem with making that argument for UCF in 2017 is that they reverse Boised the Georgia Tech game.

Reaction Score
The most troubling part of this sham Committee is it is represented by the folks that represent P5. They have some nominally independent members.. but not really. They one guy from Central
Michigan. Total sham. Should be sport writer based.. no ADs, no former coaches, no celeb alumni and voting for a team in a conf from which you were an alumni prohibited. But, then they couldn't control the results. NCAA needs to put its foot down on this BS.

Reaction Score
Sure ignore the evidence. Like Wisconsin has been behind in the rankings because of their... gee I don’t know... schedule.

Do you think they don’t have the top 6 or so right? It’s bogus because UCF who has played no one isn’t where you think?

Although Alabama has a strength of schedule below Wisconsin and Sagarin has Wisconsin at 3. That will sort itself out if Wisconsin runs the table but there is a bias.

Not suggesting Alabama isn’t great. But they haven’t played anyone either.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Although Alabama has a strength of schedule below Wisconsin and Sagarin has Wisconsin at 3. That will sort itself out if Wisconsin runs the table but there is a bias.

Not suggesting Alabama isn’t great. But they haven’t played anyone either.

Sagarin in garbage but agreed - Alabama’s schedule is soft to date.

Reaction Score
Everybody over rates strength of schedule. They do it in basketball and they do it in football and it is the variable over which you have almost no control. Not Wisconsin’s fault that the B10 West is weak this year. Nor is it UCF’s that the AAC East is the weaker division. And since you schedule non league games forever in advance who knows what will happen. Finally for the AAC there is an additional problem that top teams often don’t want to schedule them and certainly don’t want to schedule them on the road.

Just for fun let’s look at the mighty Crimson Tide of Alabama: FSU (4-7) mighty Fresn State ( 8-3) Colorado State (7-5) Vanderbilt Mississippi A&M Arkansas Tennessee all with losing records. Then LSU (who lost to Troy but is Top 25 since they are an SEC team), Miss State Auburn and let’s not forget mighty Mercer Bears. 7 losing teams (well I don’t actually know Mercer’s record). So much of SOS is perception. LSU is #18 becausebthe are in the SEC and were ranked preseason.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
"This guy gets it."

Imagine getting paid $1M a year to essentially paraphrase every argument on the conference realignment board?

To me it sounds like a guy who knows he's in for a cap TV deal and wants a soft landing spot. See! I told you they were against us!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom