Mikayla Coombs to Transfer | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Mikayla Coombs to Transfer

Reaction Score
Big blow to this team. I thought she was not getting enough playing time that she deserved. I don't blame her for transferring into a program that gives her a fair chance. We've been loosing bench players that can help us.

“Deserved” based on what? Please explain.

She didn’t earn more minutes. She had a fair chance and made a modest contribution despite extraordinary laurels upon entering the program.

Then she quit rather than dig in and earn her minutes. Another example of a highly-touted player who could not accept that minutes in a UConn Jersey must be earned - and are not owed or simply given.

Excellence has a cost.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Never thought about GT. Plenty of pt and an outstanding education could sway her. Plus Nell is a very outgoing woman so that could factor in as well.
Mikayla must have had good academic credentials coming out of high school. Think is was @UConnCat who said Michigan was among her other options.

Reaction Score
Mikayla must have had good academic credentials coming out of high school. Think is was @UConnCat who said Michigan was among her other options.

She’s certainly a smart young lady that’s for sure! I’m certain she’ll find a school that’s for her academically and athletically.

Reaction Score
Like others, I wish her the best. Looking at the website, 7 players on roster. Never seen so few players before. The one thing I don't get is, if a player wanted more minutes/playing time, why not out work somebody for that spot? Be competitive. Maybe she was and could not catch the eye or confidence of the coaching staff who knows. I just know that I am going to come at a person hard for a playing spot. Wish Mikayla the best

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why we have an AEH pissing contest.

I watched four MSST games this year where AEH started. She reminds me of Courtney Ekmark. Her best attribute is shooting but she is slow-footed on D. Her fit with MSST may be much better than at UConn and, if so, the best of luck to her. Courtney had two good years at ASU but never reached the prominence she had as a high schooler.

Is that bad????
Not sure what you mean by pissing contest, I simply stated AEH is putting effort into improving her defense and she is getting better but I am beginning to feel AEH is a sore subject for many BYers, so I will refrain from any AEH comments in future post.

Reaction Score
Espinoza-Hunter is already better than Ekmark. Anyone who watched them go head to head would likely agree. Espinoza shot about 9% better from 3 than Ekmark.

Reaction Score
But Ekmark is halfway through law school. I’d say she’ll end up ok.
I didn’t say she wouldn’t end up okay? I said she wasn’t as good as AEH. Basketball is not in her future.

Reaction Score
Not sure what you mean by pissing contest, I simply stated AEH is putting effort into improving her defense and she is getting better but I am beginning to feel AEH is a sore subject for many BYers, so I will refrain from any AEH comments in future post.
Please don’t refrain on my account. I enjoy your commentary.

I inferred that you were continuing the “sky-is-falling” mantra using AEH as an example of someone UConn lost but who is succeeding elsewhere. If that was not your point, mea culpa.

Reaction Score
Espinoza-Hunter is already better than Ekmark. Anyone who watched them go head to head would likely agree. Espinoza shot about 9% better from 3 than Ekmark.
I don’t agree that AEH is better and I did watch both kids last year.

AEH was an adjunct to MSST’s offense and got a lot of open looks as the defense collapsed. Ekmark was a key element of ASU’s offense and was guarded accordingly. Both were adequate defenders but could be easily beaten latera

But it may occur that AEH takes a bigger role next year and I was wrong. If so, more power to her. One of the fascinating aspects of WBB is watching kids develop.

Reaction Score
Please don’t refrain on my account. I enjoy your commentary.

I inferred that you were continuing the “sky-is-falling” mantra using AEH as an example of someone UConn lost but who is succeeding elsewhere. If that was not your point, mea culpa.
I have never been a “sky is falling” type when it’s comes to UConn. I consider UConn to be the premier WBB program and Geno the best coach ever in WBB. I believe Geno and UConn have been great for WBB and are directly responsible for the growth in elite teams now in WBB. Without Geno and UConn WBB would not be the game it is today!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
“Deserved” based on what? Please explain. She didn’t earn more minutes. She had a fair chance and made a modest contribution despite extraordinary laurels upon entering the program.
Excellence has a cost.

I agree. Some players must accept reality. An example of players who understood the reality of their UCONN situation and succeeded or at least had a better experience elsewhere are AEH, Butler, Michala Johnson, Ekmark, Banks, Sadie Edwards, and most certainly Azurá Stevens.

Reaction Score
I don’t agree that AEH is better and I did watch both kids last year.

AEH was an adjunct to MSST’s offense and got a lot of open looks as the defense collapsed. Ekmark was a key element of ASU’s offense and was guarded accordingly. Both were adequate defenders but could be easily beaten latera

But it may occur that AEH takes a bigger role next year and I was wrong. If so, more power to her. One of the fascinating aspects of WBB is watching kids develop.
I was talking specifically about their head-to-head matchup, where Ekmark had 6 points on 2-14 shooting and Espinoza-Hunter had 12 on 5-11 shooting. Not sure if you watched games like the Oregon game, but Espinoza-Hunter was face-guarded the entire time.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I was talking specifically about their head-to-head matchup, where Ekmark had 6 points on 2-14 shooting and Espinoza-Hunter had 12 on 5-11 shooting. Not sure if you watched games like the Oregon game, but Espinoza-Hunter was face-guarded the entire time.

AEH certainly shot the ball better than Ekmark last season, no doubt benefiting from the attention given to McCowan and Howard. AEH was not a better basketball player than Ekmark last season when you look at other ways to contribute on the court. CE did more to help her team win than just shoot, no doubt born of need on the ASU team. She played 6 more mins/game than AEH but more than doubled her assists and rebounds. The challenge for AEH going forward is to become a complete basketball player rather than one who is content to stand behind the arc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom