Mikayla Coombs to Transfer | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Mikayla Coombs to Transfer

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Based on that, what if, in a one player class, that player left ..... should we lament that 100% of UConn classes are transferring, making it sound like Geno and the staff are somehow driving everyone away from UConn and that there might be a need for a change at the top of the program????? Using a very small tidbit of stats to make a statement can really distort someone's views.
Yes we should all shoot ourselves ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Steph ran the floor but she was really heavy and not in the best of shape but that started changing drastically after her freshman year ..... The Steph you remember hustled but with the additional weight and conditioning issues (and if I remember correctly, she had issues with her feet or legs as a freshman), she was slow of foot.
Stef actually improved earlier than that. After the December loss at Stanford, breaking the then-record 90-game winning streak, CD told Stef, "We need more." Stef did two-a-days and worked intensively with CD. By the end of the regular season, Stef inside was our primary scoring option, even over the great Maya Moore. Stef had the necessary physical gifts and mental strength to succeed. Geno saw that, but other coaches didn't.

Reaction Score
Stef actually improved earlier than that. After the December loss at Stanford, breaking the then-record 90-game winning streak, CD told Stef, "We need more." Stef did two-a-days and worked intensively with CD. By the end of the regular season, Stef inside was our primary scoring option, even over the great Maya Moore. Stef had the necessary physical gifts and mental strength to succeed. Geno saw that, but other coaches didn't.
Wasn't she ranked in the top 30 or 40? She had offers that we know of from Rutgers, and maybe Duke or somewhere else like that. I remember an interview with her where she listed some of the other offers she had, so it wasn't like she was an unknown that Geno discovered. CViv talked about recruiting her and had some nice words about Stef.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Wasn't she ranked in the top 30 or 40? She had offers that we know of from Rutgers, and maybe Duke or somewhere else like that. I remember an interview with her where she listed some of the other offers she had, so it wasn't like she was an unknown that Geno discovered. CViv talked about recruiting her and had some nice words about Stef.
Yeah, Stef was ranked. I'm not saying no other coaches expressed interest or offered, but many coaches saw only Stef's weaknesses. Geno saw her hands and footwork along with her potential.

Reaction Score

I'm pretty sure she was ranked 10th & the #1 Post just before she committed to UConn. I distinctly remember Triaddukefan (yes I'm a lurker) complaining on the Duke board about how unfair it was for UConn to swoop in at the last minute to get Bria Hartley whom they had been recruiting, although we recruited Hartley really hard for a long time as well. She was up to 3rd or 4th in the overall rankings at one point.

I remember reading an ESPN interview with Samarie Walker at the time and she stated that as soon as she reached the #1 ranking, that's when UConn took notice and recruited her harder.

Btw my post isn't to point out that UConn can't find talent until everyone else does, but rather UConn recruits to a high standard and sometimes you have to get some recognition first before UConn even takes a hard look at you.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure she was ranked 10th & the #1 Post just before she committed to UConn. I distinctly remember Triaddukefan (yes I'm a lurker) complaining on the Duke board about how unfair it was for UConn to swoop in at the last minute to get Bria Hartley whom they had been recruiting, although we recruited Hartley really hard for a long time as well. She was up to 3rd or 4th in the overall rankings at one point.

I remember reading an ESPN interview with Samarie Walker at the time and she stated that as soon as she reached the #1 ranking, that's when UConn took notice and recruited her harder.

Btw my post isn't to point out that UConn can't find talent until everyone else does, but rather UConn recruits to a high standard and sometimes you have to get some recognition first before UConn even takes a hard look at you.
I think this confuses causation and correlation. I suspect the same things the recruiting services noticed about Walker's development that launched her to #1 post were the same reasons Geno et al. took more serious notice.

I seriously, seriously doubt Geno waits around until recruiting services tell him who's a top 20 player. In fact, I know he doesn't. He was attending Bueckers' games before she was old enough to be ranked at all.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Yeah, Stef was ranked. I'm not saying no other coaches expressed interest or offered, but many coaches saw only Stef's weaknesses. Geno saw her hands and footwork along with her potential.

Geno has also said that one of the things that impressed him about Stef was everytime she got knocked down/ fell, she got right back up and ran down the court. She did not quit.

Reaction Score
I think this confuses causation and correlation. I suspect the same things the recruiting services noticed about Walker's development that launched her to #1 post were the same reasons Geno et al. took more serious notice.

I seriously, seriously doubt Geno waits around until recruiting services tell him who's a top 20 player. In fact, I know he doesn't. He was attending Bueckers' games before she was old enough to be ranked at all.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I wasn't implying Geno waited for recruiting services to tell him who to recruit. I was talking about recognition whether it comes from a recruiting ranking, being selected for national teams, excelling in AAU tournaments, word of mouth etc. Every school hears about recruits this way, it just takes a higher standard at UConn because the caliber of player is higher.

As far as Walker. That was a specific response from her. They asked her in the article why do you think UConn recruited you? She said, and I'm paraphrasing, "probably because I became number one recruit (laughs)".

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
AEH put up decent points at MSST this year and will be a major contributor for them by the time she graduates. If Vic could get her to play some defense, she’d be dangerous.
And if she stayed at UConn and didn't play defense, well, we know how our coach would handle that
So I guess we can assume her reasons for leaving and choosing MSST...:eek::confused:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Perhaps I wasn't clear. I wasn't implying Geno waited for recruiting services to tell him who to recruit. I was talking about recognition whether it comes from a recruiting ranking, being selected for national teams, excelling in AAU tournaments, word of mouth etc. Every school hears about recruits this way, it just takes a higher standard at UConn because the caliber of player is higher.

As far as Walker. That was a specific response from her. They asked her in the article why do you think UConn recruited you? She said, and I'm paraphrasing, "probably because I became number one recruit (laughs)".

I never saw that quote but the truth is UConn recruited Walker before she was ranked #1. She attended Tamika Williams's high school (Chaminade) so the UConn staff knew all about her early in her high school career.

Last edited:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
It’s Jean Clark. Kennitra left a Purdue and finished her career at Illinois State, I believe

Gillian didn’t transfer; she never matriculated. She had academic issues because she came from, um, Trinidad and Tobago I think, and ended up as a prep school graduate student.

Kennitra Johnson did transfer to Purdue but never played for the Boilermakers. She left during her year sitting out at Purdue for Southern Indiana, an NCAA D-II program. She played there.

Reaction Score
Muffet gave Geno credit for that in an interview. She said the rest of them (coaches) didn't think Steph "could walk and chew bubble gum at the same time."

Reaction Score
And if she stayed at UConn and didn't play defense, well, we know how our coach would handle that
So I guess we can assume her reasons for leaving and choosing MSST...:eek::confused:
AEH plays defense, she does not play at an elite defense level yet but effort is definitely there, with Vic’s emphasis on defense she will get better. According to Vic She is an ideal team player and I think she will be a major player for MSST.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In her last game as a Husky, Stef scored 17 points, grabbed 16 boards, set multiple wicked screens and won her 2nd national championship.
Afterward, Stef said it was important to go undefeated. Not only was that team one of eleven UConn National Championship teams and one of six UConn undefeated teams, it was the only one to go 40-0.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yeah, I agree. I think she and Collier are the two most underrated All-American UConn players. IMO, KML was the greatest shooter in program history and she seemed to have a knack for making plays in key situations.
Kaleena was arguably the best shooter in NCAA history. She missed being a 50/40/90 shooter by 1 free throw in 2 different seasons. No one combined volume and accuracy as well as Kaleena: .447 shooting percentage with 398 makes. She is now tied for 6th in UConn career scoring. If not for her elbow injury, she would have been a 3-time All-American, would be ahead of Nykesha, Tina, and Lou in career scoring, and would have made 430 treys. Because K's pro career has been lackluster so far, people tend to diminish her accomplishments, but she was a great collegiate player.

Reaction Score
AEH plays defense, she does not play at an elite defense level yet but effort is definitely there, with Vic’s emphasis on defense she will get better. According to Vic She is an ideal team player and I think she will be a major player for MSST.

I'm not sure why we have an AEH pissing contest.

I watched four MSST games this year where AEH started. She reminds me of Courtney Ekmark. Her best attribute is shooting but she is slow-footed on D. Her fit with MSST may be much better than at UConn and, if so, the best of luck to her. Courtney had two good years at ASU but never reached the prominence she had as a high schooler.

Is that bad????

Reaction Score
Kaleena was arguably the best shooter in NCAA history. She missed being a 50/40/90 shooter by 1 free throw in 2 different seasons. No one combined volume and accuracy as well as Kaleena: .447 shooting percentage with 398 makes. She is now tied for 6th in UConn career scoring. If not for her elbow injury, she would have been a 3-time All-American, would be ahead of Nykesha, Tina, and Lou in career scoring, and would have made 430 treys. Because K's pro career has been lackluster so far, people tend to diminish her accomplishments, but she was a great collegiate player.
Here here! That was a rousing speech and I agree with it emphatically.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

uh oh.gif

:eek::eek::eek:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom