Memphis-GW | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Memphis-GW

Status
Not open for further replies.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
UMemphis, congrats! Hope to see you at MSG.

Shades of 1992...Memphis knocks off Pepperdine, Arkansas, GTech, only to lose to Cincy for the 4th time in one season.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Umm those were facts. I mean it's one thing to criticize something subjective and another to criticize his actual record.

WERE facts being the important fact there...

Critics laid out their complaints...and he answered by doing both...so what's the complaint now?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Pastner is descent. Give the man credit. You owned us this year but we won the game that matters in March just like you guys
Agree and congratulations. Its a big win for the conference. Now we gotta pull for Tulsa!

Reaction Score
"Josh never wins against top-25 teams"

He beat 5 this season...

"Pastner can't win NCAA games"

He's now won 2

At some point, folks have to stop hating on Coach P.

Haters gonna hate.

Congrats on the win to you and your team! I enjoy your posts around here as you are one of the more respectful other teams fans to come here, goodluck in the next game and root for us against nova!

Oh and just saying the "stacked" ACC looks pretty awful so far (that was providence's game to lose) , as does the mega 6 in A-10. Pretty sure SMU would have pulled a pitt and dominated their seed, such a shame.

caw

Reaction Score
WERE facts being the important fact there...

Critics laid out their complaints...and he answered by doing both...so what's the complaint now?

I don't disagree but you can't really get bent out of shape for those two criticisms the past few years.

Btw the next one is "no sweet sixteen/elite eight/ final four/ national championship"

Heck some here are close to complaining that Ollie hasn't been to a final four yet.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree but you can't really get bent out of shape for those two criticisms the past few years.

Btw the next one is "no sweet sixteen/elite eight/ final four/ national championship"

Heck some here are close to complaining that Ollie hasn't been to a final four yet.

Who knows after that people might start saying that he only has one NC, or that the one was a fluke. I wouldn't let it get to you UofM

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Yah, but some here are idiots.

Last edited:
Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
This was a very important win. The league needs UConn & Memphis to go as far as possible.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
I would also add, Pastner is no Jim Calhoun, or even a lower life-form like John Calipari...but for a 36 year old head coach who was thrust into a tough spot...I think he's done well, and grown a LOT as a coach.

Throw in the perfect APR, the media savvy, the high level recruiting... I think Memphis got lucky to be honest.

I really think most don't realize how close we came to going back to the Tic Price days right after Cal left...Tim Floyd, Scott Drew, and Leonard Hamilton all said "no" and RC had Cal whispering in his ear "hire Tony Barbee, I'll send you some players"

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This was just a well played game by two solid teams. With some of the stinkers we have seen from the middle seeds (Pitt/Colorado for example), this was a fun game to watch.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Memphis has to like their odds against Virginia. This team is one of the worst 1 seeds I can remember.

I am actually scratching my head to come up with a 1 seed that looked worse than this going into the tournament.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
I would LOVE a Memphis vs Costal Carolina match-up

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The ACC is having one hell of a day!

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
"On Ball Defense"

BjSjg6nCcAA10oo.jpg

Reaction Score
I don't agree with Virginia being one of the worst one seeds of all-time. They run beautiful stuff on offense - really, I'm not sure I've seen a team in quite a while that's better at generating good opportunities simply from intelligent screening and cutting. From an athleticism and skills standpoint, yeah, they're probably one of the worst one seeds ever. They don't have anybody who can consistently get his own. But they're just so well-schooled and fundamentally sound that they've managed to string together one of the most efficient offenses in the country.

Now, does that hold up as they exit the pillow soft ACC? Probably not. Memphis has more individual talent than Virginia does, but they're just incredibly undisciplined and their attention to detail is among the worst i the country. I just don't see it.

Reaction Score
champs99and04 said:
I don't agree with Virginia being one of the worst one seeds of all-time. They run beautiful stuff on offense - really, I'm not sure I've seen a team in quite a while that's better at generating good opportunities simply from intelligent screening and cutting. From an athleticism and skills standpoint, yeah, they're probably one of the worst one seeds ever. They don't have anybody who can consistently get his own. But they're just so well-schooled and fundamentally sound that they've managed to string together one of the most efficient offenses in the country. Now, does that hold up as they exit the pillow soft ACC? Probably not. Memphis has more individual talent than Virginia does, but they're just incredibly undisciplined and their attention to detail is among the worst i the country. I just don't see it.

You just described the last 12 years of Pitt teams.

Reaction Score
You just described the last 12 years of Pitt teams.

Don't get me wrong, Virginia probably won't make the final four. Teams that play at their pace generally struggle in March, and while all their misdirection and nifty back-cuts are pretty cool to watch in an era dominated by isolation and high ball screens, usually talent wins out in the end. I'd be surprised if they survive Michigan State.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Someone had to win that albatross of a game. Take it from someone who probably watched 30 albatross games this year. Glad it was Memphis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom