OT: - Memorial Day Music Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Memorial Day Music Thread

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I must include this Judith Durham version, which includes a short introduction, and the second verse, which I believe is a soldier's response. (open to interpretation.)

I love this YT comment

I am 66 years old, and never in my life have I ever heard such a beautiful version of 'Danny Boy'. It gives me goosebumps, a lump in my throat, and tears in my eyes. Thank you Judith! And thank God for giving you to the world!

Reaction Score
Anti-war piece from Big Country - Where The Rose Is Sown-

We're at war All the papers say
We will win I read today
We are strong It wasn't us
We are right Who started this?

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Letter To Mrs. Bixby (Saving Private Ryan)

Executive Mansion,
Washington, Nov. 21, 1864.

Dear Madam,--

I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle.

I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save.

I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.

Yours, very sincerely and respectfully,

A. Lincoln

Reaction Score

For a lot of years, I took this song as Dylan's indictment of jingoism and the American military-industrial complex. Then, I saw Dylan in concert singing this song not long after 9/11. It took on an entirely new meaning.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom