Medical Hardship (aka Redshirt) | The Boneyard

Medical Hardship (aka Redshirt)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've been away from the 'Yard for awhile. I got on tonight and was looking for a thread on this topic and didn't spot one. Bottom line is my understanding is that to qualify for a medical hardship you must have competed in less than 30% of your team's games. Since UConn has 32 games if you count the exhibitions, 30% equates to 9.6 games. Once again, counting the exhibitions Larrier and Gilbert played in 6 games. If you don't count the exhibitions it works out to 9 games so they still are good. Am I interpreting this rule correctly? If so wouldn't both players not lose eligibility if they sit out the rest of the season? Ok so called experts, what's your read?

It doesn't make this season any better, but at least the guys wouldn't lose a year.

Reaction Score
Someone was saying that because Larrier already used a redshirt when he transferred to UConn he may not be eligible for that 6th year automatically. While I don't think they'd deny him, it's less of a sure thing than Gilbert. Gilbert will definitely have 4 years of eligibility left at UConn if he cares to use them.

Reaction Score
Corey Smith, WR for OSU, transferred when he was a freshman or sophomore, and sat out a year. Last year he got hurt and was granted a 6th year. Dont know if this correlates sports but maybe

Reaction Score
Smith transferred from a juco so he didn't have so sit out via the transfer rules. My guess is Larrier would have to get hurt again to be granted a six year.

Let's hope Terry comes back has two good seasons and Goes on to the NBA.

Reaction Score
Corey Smith, WR for OSU, transferred when he was a freshman or sophomore, and sat out a year. Last year he got hurt and was granted a 6th year. Dont know if this correlates sports but maybe
Dylan Ennis transferred from Rice to Nova after freshman year, redshirted, played two years, then grad transferred to Oregon, got hurt, and got a 6th year. It's not impossible, but not guaranteed based on the verbage the NCAA uses

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Marcus Johnson was granted a 6th year of eligibility but chose not to use it.

Reaction Score
Long time reader, but finally just signed up for an account, I am pretty sure they will both qualify for one. The issue will be will Larrier want to play another year of college ball still, I understand hes a RS sophmore, but he already turned 21 this summer. I'd Assume he has one more year in him regardless

Reaction Score
Did I miss it???....is A. Gilbert definitely done for this season??

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Did I miss it???....is A. Gilbert definitely done for this season??
I think the latest was that he was going to speak with his family about the options, one of which is apparently season-ending surgery. I don't think there has been anything further since.

Reaction Score
I've been away from the 'Yard for awhile. I got on tonight and was looking for a thread on this topic and didn't spot one. Bottom line is my understanding is that to qualify for a medical hardship you must have competed in less than 30% of your team's games. Since UConn has 32 games if you count the exhibitions, 30% equates to 9.6 games. Once again, counting the exhibitions Larrier and Gilbert played in 6 games. If you don't count the exhibitions it works out to 9 games so they still are good. Am I interpreting this rule correctly? If so wouldn't both players not lose eligibility if they sit out the rest of the season? Ok so called experts, what's your read?

It doesn't make this season any better, but at least the guys wouldn't lose a year.

1. Exhibitions don't count in determining a team's total number of games.
2. All regular season games count, regardless of whether it is a D1 team or not.
3. In addition to the total number of regular season games, one extra game (representing the minimum number of postseason games) is added to the total.

If UConn has 30 games on the schedule, then the number used for the formula is 31. When you multiply 31 by 30%, you get 9.3. That number is then rounded up to 10. So a player who played in 10 or fewer games would qualify, as long as he didn't play any games in the second half of the season.

Just to clarify one other thing. To get a hardship waiver, a player must have an injury that the doctor certifies as "season-ending". The team must also provide medical evidence, such as MRIs, x-rays, etc.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Someone was saying that because Larrier already used a redshirt when he transferred to UConn he may not be eligible for that 6th year automatically. While I don't think they'd deny him, it's less of a sure thing than Gilbert. Gilbert will definitely have 4 years of eligibility left at UConn if he cares to use them.

No player ever gets a 6th year automatically. It always requires an appeal to the NCAA. When one of the "lost" years was because of a transfer, an appeal is often not successful.

Reaction Score
But is a transfer year the same as a medical hardship in terms of burning eligibility up?

Reaction Score
If I was Alterique I'd want to be sure that my shoulder was 110% before I played again. It's not only saving eligibility, it's in his long term interest. If surgery will help he should get it done. Hopefully he'll have better results this time. Perhaps he should try my doctor. Dr. Vinnie Boombatz.

Reaction Score
No player ever gets a 6th year automatically. It always requires an appeal to the NCAA. When one of the "lost" years was because of a transfer, an appeal is often not successful.
While that is true, I think the player has a better case when he transferred because a coach left (as with Shaka Smart) rather than transferring because you didn't like the prior school or weren't happy with your playing time.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
What the heck is the story for Diarra? I haven't heard a thing since the start of the season.

Reaction Score
these sort of chronic knee injuries aren't divulged a lot by teams in the nba or college, (hence the silence on a diagnosis calling it a 'sore knee' until he was redshirted) but I've read it is pretty common. Not sure why you would go after a prospect with chronic knee issues but it is what it is.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
these sort of chronic knee injuries aren't divulged a lot by teams in the nba or college, (hence the silence on a diagnosis calling it a 'sore knee' until he was redshirted) but I've read it is pretty common. Not sure why you would go after a prospect with chronic knee issues but it is what it is.

How do you know the coaching staff was aware of this?

Reaction Score
How do you know the coaching staff was aware of this?
i would consider it due diligence, there is PSA tape out there with diarra wearing hefty knee sleeve on his left leg from last year. Makes you wonder why he was running around and playing in the summer, even on first night. IDK i'm just frustrated this came out of the blue, from what i've read idk what redshirting would do for him. its one of these injuries players play through and deal with treatment in the offseason. kind of the opposite of what happened with MD. hopefully he feels better next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom