Media availibilty today for some players | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Media availibilty today for some players

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Bueckers and Fudd bring friendship, competitiveness to UConn (dailyherald.com)

They have a chemistry that goes back to when they were young teens, competing for a spot on a USA Basketball team.

Fudd said she initially thought she would get no real competition from this skinny white girl," who seemed like her polar opposite. Fudd was quiet and a detail perfectionist. Bueckers was brash and a bit flashy. And then we both made the team and I realized she was actually one of the best players I'd ever seen play, Fudd said.

Reaction Score
Bueckers and Fudd bring friendship, competitiveness to UConn (dailyherald.com)

They have a chemistry that goes back to when they were young teens, competing for a spot on a USA Basketball team.

Fudd said she initially thought she would get no real competition from this skinny white girl," who seemed like her polar opposite. Fudd was quiet and a detail perfectionist. Bueckers was brash and a bit flashy. And then we both made the team and I realized she was actually one of the best players I'd ever seen play, Fudd said.

Some stuff I read before but I like interviews of the two of them together. Usually funny as hell.

Interesting that a Chicago newspaper picks up an AP story about 2 players in CT? :rolleyes:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I thought Bascom was a 2-time All-American. Guess not. [see pic above]

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
On the other hand, Dorka's thighs are big. Not only tall and long but thick.
Ha! I bet she'll be thrilled to hear that assessment. Probably nothing young women like to hear more than strangers commenting on their bodies! ;)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Ha! I bet she'll be thrilled to hear that assessment. Probably nothing young women like to hear more than strangers commenting on their bodies! ;)
Sorry, should have said "strong" which an athlete should appreciate.

Reaction Score
On the other hand, Dorka's thighs are big. Not only tall and long but thick.

Juhasz could be UConn's version of Shepard. Geno commented that she was listed as 6'3 and is every bit of 6'5 and is strong. He said that lots of "6'3" players show up and they have to stretch to make 6'2. The depth up and down the bench will mean that players can apply defensive pressure without worrying that they have no adequate replacement. If Juhasz is as good as she seems then Edwards can stay at the 4 and UConn will be able to match up against anyone inside. And seeing how they will dominate outside all they need inside is to play other teams close to even.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Some really cool quotes from the Amore article

The fun starts now. After holding court separately for a few minutes, they knew it was time for that joint interview. Bueckers walked over, and they teased each other about who outshot the other, who outperformed the other. They playfully struggled to praise each other. “Tell them what happened,” Fudd told Bueckers. “Don’t lie.”

Once Bueckers is over her ankle injury, she said, it would be no contest in the gym, not in H-O-R-S-E, not in one-on-one, free-throw shooting. Anything Azzi can do, Paige will do better. If this were on Broadway, and not Jim Calhoun Way, that would cue the next musical number.
“We both hate losing,” Bueckers said. “But we hate losing to each other more than anything.”

and I am a bit surprised how nervous Azzi was starting out

“I was just nervous about how I would fit in. I don’t think she (Paige) gets nervous. She helps calm my nerves, but at the same time, I still don’t understand her. We’re very similar, but at the same time very different. I’m quieter, she’s louder, but we have the same work ethic, goals.”

Bueckers insists that, appearances to the contrary, she does get nervous.

“[Fudd] shows it to where I can see it,” she said. “The people closest to her can see when she’s getting nervous. She’s an overthinker, she gets into her own head sometimes and I’m just trying to build her confidence, because I know how hard she works. I tell her all the time: ‘You know how hard you work, you should be the most confident person in America, playing basketball.’”

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

The fun starts now. After holding court separately for a few minutes, they knew it was time for that joint interview. Bueckers walked over, and they teased each other about who outshot the other, who outperformed the other. They playfully struggled to praise each other. “Tell them what happened,” Fudd told Bueckers. “Don’t lie.”

Once Bueckers is over her ankle injury, she said, it would be no contest in the gym, not in H-O-R-S-E, not in one-on-one, free-throw shooting. Anything Azzi can do, Paige will do better. If this were on Broadway, and not Jim Calhoun Way, that would cue the next musical number.
“We both hate losing,” Bueckers said. “But we hate losing to each other more than anything.”

“I was just nervous about how I would fit in. I don’t think she (Paige) gets nervous. She helps calm my nerves, but at the same time, I still don’t understand her. We’re very similar, but at the same time very different. I’m quieter, she’s louder, but we have the same work ethic, goals.”

“[Fudd] shows it to where I can see it,” she said. “The people closest to her can see when she’s getting nervous. She’s an overthinker, she gets into her own head sometimes and I’m just trying to build her confidence, because I know how hard she works. I tell her all the time: ‘You know how hard you work, you should be the most confident person in America, playing basketball.’”
Azzi is like most freshmen their first month on campus. Trying to figure things out, as everything is new to her. Before long, she will settle down and settle in. I surmise that after game 3 (plus the two exhibition games, Azzi will have really settled down, settled in, and can focus on doing what she does. She’ll definitely be ready when conference play begins.

Reaction Score

I am surprised Azzi was nervous. She is one of the best players and should be confident like Paige.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Some more quotes leaking out

UConn women’s basketball newcomers, competitive firepower could make the Huskies that much tougher to beat - Hartford Courant

“You can tell she’s been doing this for a while now,” Bueckers said of Juhász, who played three seasons at Ohio State before graduating early. “She’s extremely tough. Kind of reminds me of Aaliyah in the way she plays super extremely hard and with maximum effort and tries to do stuff on both sides of the ball.”

“A lot of great battles for sure with Liv, Amari, Aubrey,” Juhász said. “It’s good to have different post players, a little bit undersized, a little bit taller, so you have to learn how to finish against different types of players.”

Three-point shooting from players outside of Buckers was a weakness last year, but that shouldn’t be as much of an issue with Fudd and Ducharme, who are known as strong shooters.

“She’s impressed me,” Williams said of Ducharme. “I didn’t know what to expect from her, but she’s really good. She can shoot, and when she gets on a roll, she doesn’t miss.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Adamec Article focusing on Paige's growth

UConn's Bueckers preparing for challenges ahead (yahoo.com)

As good as she was a season ago, she and her coach believe there's a higher level for her to achieve.

"I would like for her to stop waiting for the game to come to her," UConn coach Geno Auriemma said last week. "You hear people talk about 'She lets the game come to her.' I don't like that. While you're waiting for the game to come to you, somebody else is maybe taking it. So I'd like her to show more assertiveness. I would like for her not to pass up so many open shots, even though I know that is a losing battle. She is always going to pass up open shots if somebody else is open. It is an ongoing process.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Article in the Athletic on Amari DeBerry

UConn freshman Amari DeBerry relishes being part of UConn's storied history – The Athletic

On campus only a few weeks, Amari DeBerry and her UConn teammates headed to Mohegan Sun Arena for a WNBA game. Sitting in the stands, the squad watched the Seattle Storm beat the Connecticut Sun in mid-June. Afterward, there were hugs, pictures and plenty of smiles as the Seattle UConn alums (Sue Bird, Breanna Stewart and Katie Lou Samuelson) mingled with the current Huskies. “UConn” chants broke out across the arena as the lingering fans realized who was speaking to whom.

“It was pretty cool just to see all them in action and then just having, you know, like, Christyn (Williams) and Olivia (Nelson-Ododa) be so excited to see their old teammate,” incoming freshman DeBerry told reporters Tuesday. “They were saying, ‘It’s so crazy they’re Olympians now, they’re out here in the WNBA now.’ I was like, that’s gonna be you guys. Yeah, it was definitely pretty cool.”

Hope she makes the U19 squad.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Adamec Article focusing on Paige's growth

UConn's Bueckers preparing for challenges ahead (yahoo.com)

As good as she was a season ago, she and her coach believe there's a higher level for her to achieve.

"I would like for her to stop waiting for the game to come to her," UConn coach Geno Auriemma said last week. "You hear people talk about 'She lets the game come to her.' I don't like that. While you're waiting for the game to come to you, somebody else is maybe taking it. So I'd like her to show more assertiveness. I would like for her not to pass up so many open shots, even though I know that is a losing battle. She is always going to pass up open shots if somebody else is open. It is an ongoing process.

Really enjoy these articles. Obviously Geno can see all things and is a bball genius, but I didn't think Paige was that passive last
year. She lead the team in shots as a freshman. I would imagine with all the new scoring threats (Dorka, Azzi), and the seniors looking to go out with a bang (Evina, Liv, CW), she could probably facilitate more.

Reaction Score
Really enjoy these articles. Obviously Geno can see all things and is a bball genius, but I didn't think Paige was that passive last
year. She lead the team in shots as a freshman. I would imagine with all the new scoring threats (Dorka, Azzi), and the seniors looking to go out with a bang (Evina, Liv, CW), she could probably facilitate more.
I think what Geno meant was Paige should not wait to turn it on in the 4th quarter in a tight game or when the team is behind. He wants her to play like she did late against Baylor, Tennessee, and South Carolina in the 1st quarter. This is something that the great teams led by Maya and Stewie did so well. Out of the gate they dropped the hammer such that the game was over before halftime even against ranked opponents.

Reaction Score
The bottom line is Bueckers decided to often to not play the way the coach asked her to play, which was to be aggressive looking for her own shot; that eventually was PART of the reason they lost to Arizona. It certainly would be very unfair to put the loss all on that but, objectively, IMO it most certainly was a very obvious contributing factor.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Right?
Shark Tank Ugh GIF

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom