Meanwhile at Cameron Indoor… | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Meanwhile at Cameron Indoor…

Reaction Score
Unfortunately they would not make it far enough for the ass stomping they would receive
In the early ‘90s I dreaded seeing Duke in UConn’s bracket. I’d love it if Duke is in the East this year.

Reaction Score
Oh, but, ‘the brotherhood’. Sheesh.

Fans sometimes do stupid things. But Scheyer apologizing is an eye-opener.
Watching a head coach apologizing to fans after losing to your biggest rival has to be the ultimate weakest move ever. What an embarrassment. He's apologizing to kids who probably don't even know the roster while water is being poured from the stands onto UNC players. Hilarious.

Reaction Score
Scheyer is a clown, just a ridiculous program...

They still have some of the things that made them so popular—a legendary home court facility, a great conference, terrific rivalries, top recruits, frequently televised games, and a fawning media. Those things, coupled with tribalism, keeps them popular. But Coach K is gone. The days of them graduating almost all of their players are gone. They’ve had a few villain players over the years that have stomped and tripped opposing players. And their fans completely embarrassed themselves yesterday pelting UNC players with water bottles. That happening on the heels of the Wake Forest court storming uproar is irony you just can’t make up. It’s truly not the same Duke program anymore.

Reaction Score
Watching a head coach apologizing to fans after losing to your biggest rival has to be the ultimate weakest move ever. What an embarrassment. He's apologizing to kids who probably don't even know the roster while water is being poured from the stands onto UNC players. Hilarious.
His apology is hard to figure.

Other coaches have grabbed the mike and asked the students to stop throwing objects during a game. I know this is after the game, but that gesture still would have made sense under these circumstances and more so than apologizing just for the team's losing.

Maybe, if he got Teed up near the end of the game and it cost Duke the game, or if he acknowledged some costly coaching gaffes during the game, an apology might have made sense though would not have been required.

Reaction Score
I see the trip as a non-event. Flip was getting up, and the tarheel initated contact in what must have seemed to him as a sort of pushoff. Combine the pushoff with a stepover of sorts and he reacted impulsively in the heat of the moment.

The apology though - Wow. Totally disrespects the team that just won (sorry we lost to that pack of bums?), and totally disrespects his own players (sorry my players suck, and didn’t try hard enough?) Seems like a pretty good way to loose your locker room.

Reaction Score
IMG_2967.gif

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I mentioned here he tripped the Wake fan on purpose and some roasted me. Well here you again.

Flip is quite the trip!
I got flak from @superjohn when I commented that the Wake fan was hit by Filipowski putting his hands up. The leg contact was also iffy.

Reaction Score
I see the trip as a non-event. Flip was getting up, and the tarheel initated contact in what must have seemed to him as a sort of pushoff. Combine the pushoff with a stepover of sorts and he reacted impulsively in the heat of the moment.

The apology though - Wow. Totally disrespects the team that just won (sorry we lost to that pack of bums?), and totally disrespects his own players (sorry my players suck, and didn’t try hard enough?) Seems like a pretty good way to loose your locker room.
No, it was an attempted trip

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
We agree. And don’t forget the ACC homer, Billy Packer (a graduate of Wake Forest) doing the games for years on CBS with Nance.
Fudgie!!!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
They're also probably the most popular program in the country.
Yep. They have the following of people with some slight interest in college basketball but with no strong affiliation to another college program or had a connection to another program that was mediocre at best and wanted to follow a successful program.

Hype to the degree that ESPN promoted Duke would provide that outcome. The Dallas Cowboys are an earlier example of a team that received enough media hype to become “America’s team” for quite a while.

Interestingly, as an unsophisticated follower of football, I became a fan of the Cowboys because everyone was rooting for the Packers in that first superbowl between them so I rebelled. Additionally I ushered at the Yale Bowl and followed Calvin Hill when he joined that team.

I left Dallas when they became “America’s Team”. Casual fan back then. Suffered a number of years as a Pats fan because of that.

Don’t follow the Pats anymore. Stopped just before the Pats Eagles Superbowl. Ended up rooting for the Eagles because my son is a passionate Eagles fan. Weirdest mental gymnastics during that game. I was not a casual fan of the Patriots and was rooting for them all season hoping that they wouldn’t end up playing the Eagles.

Did a complete about face. Abandoned the Pats and was having fits when Brady almost pulled it out at the end of the game. I wanted my kid to experience the ultimate happiness of a championship. I still can’t believe I was able to switch away from such a strong emotional connection as quickly and as completely as I did at that moment.

Been a fan of UConn men’s bb since late fifties and that will never change. My kid roots for the Huskies. He knows better. Duck Fuke!!

Reaction Score
Based on the Wake and UNC incidents and the subsequent soundbites, it’s become clear that this kid is some kind of next level, two-faced prig. Trips a guy, gets up, hobbles down the court like he has a busted leg trying to sell the accident story, miraculously recovers, and then doubles down in the postgame interview. I had given him the benefit of the doubt on the Wake incident but the similarity of the collision, injury, magic recovery, dooshy interview fact pattern is tough to ignore. At least Allen leaned into being a total dock rather than trying to maintain the charade of being some kind of poster child.

Reaction Score
No, it was an attempted trip
I agree and called it a trip in my post. I just don’t see it as something egregious, and meriting the amount of ink that’s been spilled.

Reaction Score
The worst thing that could happen to Duke is the coach is just good enough to keep then from firing him.

Reaction Score
I think without Coach K the dook brand will drop a few notches. It's become the national brand to despise. I don't think I've seen during warmups

Reaction Score
The fun of the "Cameron Crazies" or any other college student fan section, be it basketball, hockey, or any other sport, used to be the creativity and originality of the jabs at the opponents. I don't know the reason for this general shift in societal norms for students, but these type of vulgar personal attacks are becoming too common. Duke can't be proud of these students, and I am surprised it is allowed. It is pretty obvious why the UNC players took a moment to "visit" these students after the win.

Reaction Score
This is pretty sad. I'm having 2nd hand cringe here.
Scheyer's going to have an embarrassment of riches on his roster next year and a probable 3 seed next week. They're top 10 in Kenpom. We are going to find out if he can coach.

Reaction Score
I don't really care how fans act at their home court unless UConn is playing there but it's dook, so all the more to pile on. Jay Bilas is taking a lot of heat on his twitter account because he's been completely silent about the UNC game, after railing against Wake fans for court storming.
I hope scheyer stays as long as possible to ensure that program approaches bcu levels of stink.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom