Md. Game thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Md. Game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Chong made every second count when she was in there. When she's completely healthy, I see her battling Nurse for the starting nod. Nurse appears to be regressing to the bull in the china shop approach, rather than drive and put up a shot that has a legitimate chance to go in. Her defense, however, is stellar.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
In the Poll How many points will Maryland score 6 predicted Maryland would score 70+ points out of 144 that answered the poll. UConn 5 points under their average points scored. Maryland 17 points under their average.

Reaction Score
You don't think that Butler would help stop Jones?

Of course she would. But you think MD was only scoring in one area? You need to check their 3 pt shooting stat. Secondly, what makes you think our offense would run as well in which Stewie and Tuck could get as many layups as they got? How do you know our offense will click with Butler? You do realize Stewie and Tuck scored a lot in the game too. And you do realize there are two parts of a game- offense and defense, right?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Unlike the Notre Dame game which we won once we busted it by 20 or so- this game was tight. Nice job MD.

Actually, the games were nearly identical. UConn mostly leading by a small margin, opponent with a close lead, UConn retakes lead, stretches game open, opponent cuts lead down. Only difference is that UConn lead ND by 22 and MD by 13.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Zorro said:
I will bet that the Huskies heard some words at halftime that they had never heard before. (At least with the same emphasis.)

Never....??

Surely you jest (this is GA we're talking about)

:-P

Reaction Score
Most yelling and screaming I've done in a women's game for a while. Man they spoiled me.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
How can anyone say that 6'5" Natalie Butler would not have helped in defending Brianna Jones tonight?!? I am just puzzled as to why she's not playing. If it's due to injury than red shirt her.
Do you take Stewie or Morgan out to play Natalie? And can she score as well as either one of them?

Reaction Score
Doris Burke talking about how South Carolina is going to expose our bigs, but missed the opportunity to mention Natalie Butler' s hopeful presence in that game. We need her just to play defense and rebound. Doesn't even need to score. When will Geno address her true status?

Reaction Score
As i said and i will say it again though. Uconn definately needs to defend the 3 ball better. Great game ladies.

Reaction Score
Kudos to your Terps. It would be easy to say that we just turned it over too often but it was the frenetic Maryland D that caused those turnovers. I was really surprised how well Maryland played on both sides of the court-it's great to have another solid team out there to give our Huskies a run! Very excited for Saniya's HUGE 3! Loved the shot of her sitting on the bench after the 3 with the entire team's eyes on her!! Talk about a monster confidence booster!!!

Reaction Score
A few, but also very little player or ball movement against the zone. Just standing around.

I don't know about standing around. But I'm with nan. I think their is a mis-perception when a player misses shots - "they are standing around or "they are settling" You and I had a disagreement last time about KLS. You had said she shouldn't be taking shots from when a player is close to her. Yet from what I saw tonight the only 3 she hit was when in fact two (not one but 2) players were close to her.

The other shots she is wide open and not only missed but they weren't even close.

Reaction Score
Drive safe everyone. We are already getting a little covering of white stuff in Farmington.

Reaction Score
This game pains me so much as a Terp fan. We fought tooth and nail but to no avail. Congrats to the young ladies of UCONN as they consistently show the will and heart of a champion. I hope we can play you all again in April.

Reaction Score
Heckuva game by UConn. Taking every team's best and dealing with it. Another win by double figures against a top 10 team. Very impressive win for UConn.

Reaction Score
Doris Burke talking about how South Carolina is going to expose our bigs, but missed the opportunity to mention Natalie Butler' s hopeful presence in that game. We need her just to play defense and rebound. Doesn't even need to score. When will Geno address her true status?
What do you mean her true status? She was scheduled to miss games through the end of the calendar year. If she plays a little on Wednesday, that would make her return right on schedule.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
You are right. She rarely mentions it when a UCONN player is missing. Believe me, Butler will make a big difference when UCONN plays SC when Geno goes big.. She should have at least three games played.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Winning ugly is better than losing.

I don't think it was an ugly win. I think Maryland just came to play and the game was too close for comfort for a lot of UCONN fans so the obvious response is to point out how poorly UCONN played. I don't think they played poorly at all. Credit to Maryland, they came to play and they are a good team. Very few teams will be able to keep up with them offensively so at this point it wouldn't be too difficult for me to pencil them into another final four. I would've liked to see them throw more 2 post offensive sets at UCONN, like SC uses, but they are well coached and know how to get the ball to the basket. Tonight was a great win for UCONN. Sure, there were a bunch of missed chippies on both sides and maybe it wasn't as clean offensively as a lot of Huskies fans would've liked but perhaps that was due to Maryland playing good defense..

All in all, I thought it was a great game. I'm more impressed that UCONN was able to gut that game out than I would've been had UCONN won that game by 25. In my opinion, gutting out a hard fought game over a well coached team says way more about a team than beating that same team by 25 when they're not playing their best. Then again, I am a Gamecock fan and we've grown accustomed to hard fought, gutsy wins that challenge our team. Definitely not the UCONN way of life.

Last edited:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Who Knows if Marylands plays a tougher schedule they win this game. Although the game was close UConn didn't panic when Maryland went on their mini runs to get the game close. Both teams answered the others run, UConn had them when they counted. Maryland is a good team and the match ups with Ohio State should be interesting.

Congrats Boneyarders on a great game. Chong with the big shot. Never expected that. I guess our poor schedule didn't hurt us too much in this game. UConn's big 4 was too much for Maryland. Again, great game.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
md 8/21, UConn 6/17. Pretty comparable.
Yes and eerily similiar to the Oregon - ND game tonight. ND won by only 1 point (Oregon had 8 - threes and ND had 6 threes).

Reaction Score
Becca's point is spot on. The rest of WCBB - South Carolina in particular -- now knows that we can be beaten. It will take a great game, but they've got to have hope now.

If the "point" is for our opponents to dump it down low offensively to their bigs and that's a recipe that can beat UConn, then her point is NOT 'spot on,' particularly in reference to S.Carolina. Last year, WITH Coates and WITH Wilson (and with Welch and Ibiam, too) getting the ball down low in the post on offense didn't work very well if I remember right. SC scored the grand total of 62 points. Yes, we lost our great defensive stopper Kiah Stokes, but Kiah was no factor that game, playing all of 11 minutes (with 2 pts. and 3 rebounds). I miss the hell out of Kiah, but our starters have no more size defensively this year than we did last year, and we handled their size just fine (87-62).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom