McMurphy now tweeting that BC is blocking us | Page 3 | The Boneyard

McMurphy now tweeting that BC is blocking us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am fairly new here but there seems to be a certain level of paranoia in some of the above posts regarding BC. Do many of you actually think that BC has the influence to keep Uconn out of the ACC if we are as valuable a property as many of us believe?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I am fairly new here but there seems to be a certain level of paranoia in some of the above posts regarding BC. Do many of you actually think that BC has the influence to keep Uconn out of the ACC if we are as valuable a property as many of us believe?
I don't know about many, but I don't believe it. BC would be thrilled to renew the UConn rivalry imo unless they were afraid of constantly getting outplayed in football. And that isn't evident currently.

Reaction Score

I don't think BC got much pull other than 1 vote. No one cares about BC in the ACC. BC has won 1 championship since they joined the ACC and that's in 2005 soccer.

Reaction Score
I believe that the ACC requires a 75% yes vote for admission. This means that there can be three no votes. However, the ACC would prefer unanimity. I would say that FSU and Clemson are no at this point and possibly VT, maybe BC. I think that FSU, VT, Clemson go yes with a ND/UConn combo. BC, if no, won't change, but I'm not really certain they're a no anyway. Now for my sleight of hand...

Reaction Score
Glad that the paranoia is not universal. Just a personal comment. One of my closest friends here in Birmingham is a BC grad. He came here in '88 (from Hartford actually) and I came here in '91. Since we were both involved in investments we got to know each other very well. He is fairly active with BC interviewing Alabama students who want to attend, etc. For what its worth most of his BC contacts got over any legal action resentment some time ago.

Reaction Score
This jump to the acc is as much about basketball as it is about football, if fsu, clemson and miami are hoping for a stonger football team, they are missing the point.

Reaction Score
The irony is that ND and UConn are the 2 teams that the ACC wants, but the two teams have goals that couldn't be farther apart. ND needs UConn (and maybe WVU and Louisville) to stay in the BE so the conference stays viable and ND can have a home for all their non-football sports. They also can keep their independent status, continue to collect NBC money, and have a fast track to a BCS bowl. UConn, on the other hand needs ND to be squirming a bit in fear that the BE will fold. That will only happen if the B-12 comes in and takes WVU and Louisville, and if the ACC decides to take UConn. The ACC is the goal for UConn, while the ACC is a last resort for ND.

The ACC could take the gamble and invite UConn with hopes that it creates the ripple effect and forces ND to make a move. Would only UConn's departure kill the BE is a huge ?. It will be a very rough road if UConn has to wait through WVU and Louisville departures before their ultimate goal is within sight.

This is a scenario where Herbst should also be talking to ND. She may not get a straight answer or the answer she is looking for, but having open channels to ND may be very important down the road.

-from a Maryland fan's perspective, I think UConnRock is on target with the current situation. I don't think the ACC goes to 16 without ND (great football, keeps FSU, Clemson, Miami happy) and I also feel that UConn (great BB) will be#16 only if ND gets on board. I don't think they will take UConn as #15 without the ND commitment. UConnRock makes another good point that if the B-12 takes WVU and Louisville, it may force ND's hand. The only way I don't see UConn as #16 is if for some reason PSU decides to defect from the Big10, which I don't see happening. I think Herbst is doing a good job letting the ACC know her desire to switch to the ACC. I think that both schools also fit the ACC profile with strong academics. It's a waiting game now to see what happens in the Big12.

Reaction Score
ND doesn't need anyone to stay in the Big East. If the football side collapses, the basketball schools stick together, and that includes ND. They would have a home for their sports a notch above CUSA/A-10, and be able to remain independent.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
ND doesn't need anyone to stay in the Big East. If the football side collapses, the basketball schools stick together, and that includes ND. They would have a home for their sports a notch above CUSA/A-10, and be able to remain independent.

Totally agree. ND isn't going to relinquish football independence over a basketball conference, especially one with Villanova, Georgetown, and St. John's amongst others in it. ND only joins a conference if, the only way to qualify for a future playoff depends on being in a superconference, or if the financial benefit of being in a conference becomes so large it is enough to give up their deal with NBC.

Reaction Score
Wrong. ND can't park their other sports with the catholic onlies. That's their big problem. The catholic onlies don't field enough spors, especially women's sports. If you offer scholarship football you've got a heck of a lot more title ix sports to fund.

Reaction Score
Wrong. ND can't park their other sports with the catholic onlies. That's their big problem. The catholic onlies don't field enough spors, especially women's sports. If you offer scholarship football you've got a heck of a lot more title ix sports to fund.

MAC or Conference USA

They can't park them there?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

You realize how ridiculous this notion is, right?

That ND is going to be making a multi-million dollar football decision and possibly abandoning the thing they value the most (their football independence) because they may have to have women's lacrosse in a different conference such as the MAC or C-USA?

....You're really serious?

Reaction Score
My dream is we get invited to the B1G not the ACC
Then we play are first home game with Ohio State at Foxborough
Just to prove we are the only show in New England

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The real reason BC doesn't want us in the ACC is because over the last however many decades that we played them in men's basketball we ran our streak against them to something like seventy billion to two. The Washington Generals had a better record against the Globetrotters than BC had against us.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The real reason BC doesn't want us in the ACC is because over the last however many decades that we played them in men's basketball we ran our streak against them to something like seventy billion to two. The Washington Generals had a better record against the Globetrotters than BC had against us.

It's simpler than that. They don't want to recruit against UConn.

Reaction Score
Yes, UConn, by itself, desperate and alone in both hoops and football, will get those ACC and Big 10 honchos off their seat to bring us into the league.

Do you think about what you are writing, or do you just type away?
Pot, meet kettle. Pleasure to meet you!
Comprehension, please. I'm not advocating "Uconn, by itself, desperate and alone..." (wipe tears now) I'm advocating being in a conference without Notre Dame, with the rest of the football refugees, and any football additions that want to come aboard. And let Notre Dame go it alone (more tears, please), until they are ready to commit to a conference. And I'm betting we are the tag-a-long school that goes with them.

Reaction Score
I don't know about many, but I don't believe it. BC would be thrilled to renew the UConn rivalry imo unless they were afraid of constantly getting outplayed in football. And that isn't evident currently.
BC and Uconn would be 15 and 16 in the ACC right now. Not sure of the exact order. ;)

Reaction Score
W
I think BC may be concerned about recruiting in the northeast against UConn, if UConn is in the ACC. They are already having trouble due to UConn.

We have a winner. Forget the lawsuit -- remember the reasons that BC wanted to leave in the first place.

Having said that, they don't have the power to block this. The southern schools do have to be convinced this is in their interest.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
BC and Uconn would be 15 and 16 in the ACC right now. Not sure of the exact order. ;)
What about Duke? And won't Edsell mess up Maryland?:) And before anyone gets upset, this was a dig at both sides of the RE debate and not on RE.

Reaction Score
You realize how ridiculous this notion is, right?

That ND is going to be making a multi-million dollar football decision and possibly abandoning the thing they value the most (their football independence) because they may have to have women's lacrosse in a different conference such as the MAC or C-USA?

....You're really serious?

If you think this is how it works you don't really know how it works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member