McMurphy now tweeting that BC is blocking us | The Boneyard

McMurphy now tweeting that BC is blocking us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Interesting. But he has been wrong alot. someone else would have to be helping BC

Reaction Score
I think he's getting that from McNamara from the ProJo who tweeted that an hour ago.

Reaction Score
McNamara? I see an Irish conspiracy. Damn Irish...(I'm Irish)

Reaction Score
Also word that Texas is not giving any ground on the LHN. I swear the soap opera that is the Big 12 is worse than the big Easts

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
And I tweeted I "taught a taw a putty tat" Any twit could tweet tw*t.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Makes no business sense to them at all.

Besides, all the particulars from '03 on UConn's side are gone now, save for Jim Calhoun. Who are they trying to punish?...

Reaction Score
I saw that. I'm not so sure BC could drum up the support though. Besides BC and Miami, who else would? Wake maybe? FSU? I doubt Maryland, UNC, or Duke would veto. How many votes do you need to get in?

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Interesting. But he has been wrong alot. someone else would have to be helping BC
Supposedly it's FSU, Miami, Clemson, etc... holding out for better football programs.

Besides, all the particulars from '03 on UConn's side are gone now, save for Jim Calhoun. Who are they trying to punish?...
What move since they moved to the ACC has BCU made that makes good business sense?

Oh and you can bet Notre Dame is in on this too.. pushing BCU in this direction.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I think its just a majority vote. If not it's probably something like two thirds.

Do Cuse and Pitt have voting power in the ACC now?

Reaction Score
Quick, let's release SU & Pitt from the BE so they can help vote us in :)

Reaction Score
If this is truly the only hurdle to UConn in the ACC, somebody better get up to Chestnut Hill and do some groveling. There's too much at stake for this to be the only holdup.

We'll deal with self respect after the ACC logo is painted on the field.

Reaction Score
I think BC may be concerned about recruiting in the northeast against UConn, if UConn is in the ACC. They are already having trouble due to UConn.

Reaction Score

It makes perfect business sense for them, especially now w/ SyraPitt in tow. We are over taking their product in the NE. It's no coincidence that with our succes their FB is beginning to slip (that and some terrible hiring/personnel decisions from GDF). We are their primary competition in this market, and we are beating them in just about every product category, and have at the very least pulled even with them in the BIG category that the country cares most about (and it only took us 8 years or so to do it). They want to cut off the head while they have a chance. It would not surprise me one bit if they were trying to block us. What would surprise me a little is if they could get the votes. I'd assume we'd get the 4 NC schools, GT, UVa, and Maryland as yes votes. BC, UM and FSU as no's, with Clemson and VT as a on the fence vote. This will all come down to who is the otehr team to get them to 16.

epark88

Reaction Score
If FSU/Miami/Clemson is the issue, then we're just back at square 1: Swofford wants to try for UT/PSU/ND first. And that has nothing to do with BC's influence.

Plus, I saw this coming a mile away: more media games. Build up the UConn-wants-the-ACC angle, then have the rug pulled out. Generates web hits, gets more Twits to follow your account, etc. Same thing happened to WVU yesterday and the Big East meeting last night...

Reaction Score
This is crap rumor from Prov and Boston. Ask the carolina schools about geographic competitiveness.

epark88

Reaction Score
Aaaaand...DiMauro is out from under his rock...

U

UConn9604

I think its just a majority vote. If not it's probably something like two thirds.

Do Cuse and Pitt have voting power in the ACC now?

In 2003, at least, the ACC required more than a 2/3 vote. Miami and Va. Tech were admitted on 7-2 votes (with Duke and UNC voting against). On BC, NC State voted "no" because its President, Marye Ann Fox, was a member of Notre Dame's Board of Trustees, and wanted the ACC to kick the tires on Notre Dame first before offering BC.

If that >2/3 rule is still the case, and there are 12 voting members, that means that 4 ACC members can vote "no" and block an admission. If Pitt and Syracuse can now vote, however, 5 ACC members would be required to block our admission.

My guess on the "no" votes would be BC (if they still wish to hold a grudge, but frankly I'm not sure that DeFilippo has the job security to hold a grudge at this point), FSU (wanting someone with a greater football reputation -- a legitimate point, I suppose) and maybe Miami (we sued them, too). I am having a hard time coming up with 4 and a really hard time coming up with 5.

I think the ACC is just sitting back and waiting to see where the chips fall. There's support, but not universal support, for us, but I don't think they're going to move unless they feel like they have to, or until they get 100% support for us from everyone.

Reaction Score
I would think if we were coming with ND, BC would not block that, or block us in favor of RU.

Reaction Score
In 2003, at least, the ACC required more than a 2/3 vote. Miami and Va. Tech were admitted on 7-2 votes (with Duke and UNC voting against). On BC, NC State voted "no" because its President, Marye Ann Fox, was a member of Notre Dame's Board of Trustees, and wanted the ACC to kick the tires on Notre Dame first before offering BC.

If that >2/3 rule is still the case, and there are 12 voting members, that means that 4 ACC members can vote "no" and block an admission. If Pitt and Syracuse can now vote, however, 5 ACC members would be required to block our admission.

My guess on the "no" votes would be BC (if they still wish to hold a grudge, but frankly I'm not sure that DeFilippo has the job security to hold a grudge at this point), FSU (wanting someone with a greater football reputation -- a legitimate point, I suppose) and maybe Miami (we sued them, too). I am having a hard time coming up with 4 and a really hard time coming up with 5.

I think the ACC is just sitting back and waiting to see where the chips fall. There's support, but not universal support, for us, but I don't think they're going to move unless they feel like they have to, or until they get 100% support for us from everyone.

Clemson is still pissed off about The Shot.

Reaction Score
Hey Rumrunner....

Mike DiMauro said:
The ACC will take UConn - at some point - because it won't get Notre Dame or Texas. And it will take UConn more because of league officials' trust and respect for new president Susan Herbst than anything UConn has accomplished on or off the field.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
IF BC is still holding a grudge... which is silly, in my mind... (I mean, really, it's 8 years ago, they still got what they wanted, get over it... and they selectively DID get over it for Pitt)...

Then, I hope Blumenthal (initiator) and Malloy (our head honcho and BC grad) aren't above groveling. Grovel away if that helps make this petty grudge go away. Call em up and say "mea culpa".

Perhaps Burton can kick in a small donation to BC's General Fund for their harsh, harsh treatment all those years ago.

Really, whatever it takes. They are being silly but let's placate them and secure our spot.

Reaction Score
Of course BC is a no vote, purely for fear of local competition. The lawsuit has nothing to do with it.

FSU and Clemson will come around if either (1) ND is convinced to join or (2) it's made clear that ND won't join. So long as there is no clarity on ND's status, there's no vote for further expansion.

Reaction Score
I think BC may be concerned about recruiting in the northeast against UConn, if UConn is in the ACC. They are already having trouble due to UConn.
They should be more worried about hitting 20 yard FG's so they could beat Duke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog