McGraw on Loyd | Page 7 | The Boneyard

McGraw on Loyd

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree that Muffet was blindsided by Loyd. UC I hear what you are saying but I have to fault Muffet in this sense. Muffet & ND should have managed this situation as a risk even before and after the conversation with Jewell in which she was reassured that Jewell was staying. The possibility of her Jewell leaving early began the day she signed her letter of intent. All decisions made by ND up until Jewell’s decision should have acknowledge that possibility, including which players ND recruits and signs. So while I agree with the sentiment that Jewell owed her teammates something, ultimately she had no decision authority over ND recruiting & signings. Goes both ways IMO, ND would not have hesitated to sign a player strictly because that player is better and could displace Jewell from a starting spot. No loyalty required on either side.
ND approach appears to be put off the possibility, talk to Jewell about the possibility when the decision is close and assume that the risk of her leaving was reduced to zero. It is only with an assumption of zero risk that ND can put out a definitive statement from the director of information & the head coach stating with 100% certainty that Jewell was staying. If ND assumed the risk is still there- something above zero- ND would have put out a far different statement; something like “We are aware and have been aware for some time that Jewell has the option of leaving early for the WNBA draft. We have discussed this possibility with Jewell and based on our conversations with Jewell ND believe that she will be at ND for another season. ND is very much looking forward to this.” I think in PR terms they call that creating wiggle room, but it serves the purpose of making ND look like they were actively managing the situation that had some uncertainty involved. When a player verbals, there is no certainty there until they actually sign the NLOI. It would be foolish for any school to act with certainty based off a verbal and Jewell’s assurance to ND was no better than a verbal IMO.

Reaction Score

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Muffet is still giving Loyd the badmouth a week later. That's poor form and way too late for the "blindsided" excuse. Any thing less than complete support and effusive thanks is the wrong thing. In fact, it's positively Summittesque.

Reaction Score

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Kate says, "Also, Loyd will get her Notre Dame degree
Stark contrast to one of Muffet's concerns- her 100% graduation rate being effected by Jewell leaving early.
How can Kate be so difinitive?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Interesting piece, but I disagree with one aspect - I stopped watching NBA basketball having grown up on it as my favorite sport (didn't hurst that 'my team' was the Celtics) when the 'wheeling and dealing' became a constant and your favorite player one year was now playing for the enemy, and then back playing for you but with 4 new guys you never cared for.

One of the strong attractions to WCBB is its stability within a four year cycle - we get to know the players. One of the reasons I am not a fan of the men's game is because KY to the new norm - 7 players declaring for the draft. Kate I suspect is one of the few following college sports that really celebrates the sham that MBB and FB have become in terms of 'student' athletes.

The NFL is the only pro sport that I see really making hay out of it's off-season trades, free agency, and draft - and because NFL rosters are 53, the turnover year to year is still pretty minimal for the average team - of the 25 starters the average is probably around 15% maybe less for good teams and slightly more for bad teams. Of the stars, it is probably significantly less. Makes being a fan easier.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
As long as this is still active: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/jewell-loyd-happy-decision-turn-pro-194624186--wnba.html

Jewell's side of the story - via sit-down with Doug Feinberg.

''Finances had nothing to do with it. That would have not been a good reason to turn pro,'' Loyd said. ''I just felt it was my time to play at the next level and face the next challenge.''

On McGraw, ''She's like another mother to me and she was clearly disappointed, but she gave me a hug,'' Loyd said.

On teammates: ''They told me they had my back and that they understand what I'm doing,'' Loyd said.

Reaction Score
As long as this is still active: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/jewell-loyd-happy-decision-turn-pro-194624186--wnba.html

''Finances had nothing to do with it. That would have not been a good reason to turn pro,'' Loyd said. ''I just felt it was my time to play at the next level and face the next challenge.''

On McGraw, ''She's like another mother to me and she was clearly disappointed, but she gave me a hug,'' Loyd said.

On teammates: ''They told me they had my back and that they understand what I'm doing,'' Loyd said.
Good find Orangutan. The interview would have been more believable if Loyd had discussed how it was that ND thought that she was staying for her senior year. We'll see shortly if being "like another mother" equates to Muffet appearing at the draft to support Loyd.

Reaction Score

The little interview with her at the draft was, shall we say, a little awkward. She was skirting the issue to put it mildly.

Like I said before...Oh, well!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Good find Orangutan. The interview would have been more believable if Loyd had discussed how it was that ND thought that she was staying for her senior year...

You know what the answer to "ND thought that she was staying for her senior year" is? So what?

Reaction Score
Interesting piece, but I disagree with one aspect - I stopped watching NBA basketball having grown up on it as my favorite sport (didn't hurst that 'my team' was the Celtics) when the 'wheeling and dealing' became a constant and your favorite player one year was now playing for the enemy, and then back playing for you but with 4 new guys you never cared for.

One of the strong attractions to WCBB is its stability within a four year cycle - we get to know the players. One of the reasons I am not a fan of the men's game is because KY to the new norm - 7 players declaring for the draft. Kate I suspect is one of the few following college sports that really celebrates the sham that MBB and FB have become in terms of 'student' athletes.

The NFL is the only pro sport that I see really making hay out of it's off-season trades, free agency, and draft - and because NFL rosters are 53, the turnover year to year is still pretty minimal for the average team - of the 25 starters the average is probably around 15% maybe less for good teams and slightly more for bad teams. Of the stars, it is probably significantly less. Makes being a fan easier.
I totally agree with you, UC. The men's 'college' game has become a sham. I think that that's why I really enjoyed Shabazz leading UConn to the title over UK, and Calipari's 1 and dones. I grew up a Knicks fan, but haven't watched a pro game in years. You can tell that the stability of the WCBB game is a huge draw for most fans, just by the number of speculative "who's gonna start next year" threads that go up throughout the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom