McGraw on Loyd | The Boneyard

McGraw on Loyd

Status
Not open for further replies.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Jewel made a bad decision for Muffet, the article doesn't mention that. The young lady can always go back for her degree. The window to make good money as a WBB player is even smaller than that for a MBB player.

Good decision for Jewel that could have gone either way. Bad decision for Muffet no matter how you slice it.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I agree...it is obviously not great for McGraw but she came across pretty bitter about it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I agree...it is obviously not great for McGraw but she came across pretty bitter about it.

Muffet had nothing more to offer Loyd. She's better off leaving now.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
She definitely seems bitter. Can't blame her though--tough pill to swallow an hour after the NCAA Championship game after Loyd said she was returning. Maybe she turned away some talented recruits that she would have offered had she known Loyd was leaving, or maybe she felt that Loyd didn't give it her all the last part of the season. Really tough for McGraw considering that Loyd previously told her she would be returning, and Notre Dame was projected to have arguably their best team of all time next year with Loyd as the centerpiece.

I've posted this a couple of places--I still am in the camp that this could potentially benefit Notre Dame down the road. Even with Loyd, UCONN is still the overwhelming favorite to win a title next year. Once Jefferson/Stewart graduate, the door opens for other teams. Notre Dame has a full year to get used to life without Loyd and should come out guns blazing in 2016-17 with all of their top players returning. Even without Jewell, they are still a Final Four team next year and have two really good recruiting classes lined up.

Reaction Score
She's going to clear six figures between the WNBA and oversees, possibly by a lot. I get it.

Reaction Score
She didn't mention the six figures she will make in Europe. It is a tough break for ND.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Im sure other coaches would come across bitter if faced with a similar situation
Oh, I'm sure they would. I just don't know that facing the media a few days later is the best decision. Nor is saying it's a "bad" decision. Who is it bad for? Muffet? Loyd can always go back and get her degree, she has an extra year in her professional career, and will go higher in the draft this year than she would have had she waited. Muffet doesn't list any of those benefits, now does she?

I know you aren't arguing about the decision. I just think it's kind of crappy for her to go on TV and say it's a "bad" decision.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Oh, I'm sure they would. I just don't know that facing the media a few days later is the best decision. Nor is saying it's a "bad" decision. Who is it bad for? Muffet? Loyd can always go back and get her degree, she has an extra year in her professional career, and will go higher in the draft this year than she would have had she waited. Muffet doesn't list any of those benefits, now does she?

I know you aren't arguing about the decision. I just think it's kind of crappy for her to go on TV and say it's a "bad" decision.

She probably would have been better served taking the no comment approach.... maybe speaking about it in October at the start of the new season.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I think we should cut McGraw some slack. I don't see any evidence that she is not telling the truth about the sequence of events so I can understand her still being numb. And while she didn't say this, I suspect she feels betrayed.

Let's consider if Steward had told Geno in mid-March she was coming back for her senior year, and then an hour after the championship game, she told him she was leaving. No warning, no opportunity for a full and frank discussion. Don't you think Geno would be a bit edgy about it? And feeling betrayed because someone he cared about greatly didn't trust him enough to confide in him or seek his advice?

Reaction Score
Ok! If this was a UCONN player, these very people that are telling Muffet to get over it would not feel the same way, IMO. After I watched the video, I feel bad for the Notre Dame program a little bit. I would be devastated, as would everyone involved in the UCONN fandom, if a player of Jewell's magnitude and star power would have made the same decision. I now know her coaches and teammates were blindsided by this and they must all feel betrayed. I hope this works out for Jewell as she seems like a great kid, but this is a head scratcher for sure.

I don't think Muffett comes off as bitter at all, I think she comes off as surprised, upset, betrayed and somewhat maternal and protective.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Completely understandable feeling for McGraw and decision by Loyd. But yeah, the sour pout could hurt with recruiting down the road. A little different situation with Parker at UTenn in 2008, but Summitt handled much better the loss of her star with a year of eligibility remaining. And Summitt and Parker remained close afterward. Maybe thing swill work themselves out and McGraw and Loyd will also be best chums again.

But sure, a coach like McGraw recruits players and builds each year's team based on certain assumptions, and it's tough to have some major expectations go poof. But that's life. And recruits that she told they would get a year in learning behind Loyd will now be looking at a new scenario.

But for Loyd, there can't be much of a thrill playing out a final season that likely at best ends in a disappointing runner-up finish and an extended losing streak to UConn. Athletes are no longer quite as chained to the NCAA strictures, and if the money and professional advancement is open to them, that's the way to go.

JS

Reaction Score
She probably would have been better served taking the no comment approach.... maybe speaking about it in October at the start of the new season.
Agree, more or less. Don't blame McGraw one bit for feeling as she does. But IMO she did no good for anyone by commenting as extensively and negatively as she did.

I wouldn't say no comment, but would keep it as brief and gracious as possible.

"She recently told us she's staying, so we were surprised to hear she'd changed her mind. But she's a great young woman and we assume she's thought through the pros and cons. Though we'd obviously prefer for her to stay and will miss her, it's her decision to make, not ours, and we wish her well."

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Agree, more or less. Don't blame McGraw one bit for feeling as she does. But IMO she did no good for anyone by commenting as extensively and negatively as she did.

"She recently told us she's staying, so we were surprised to hear she'd changed her mind. But she's a great young woman and we assume she's thought through the pros and cons. Though we'd obviously prefer for her to stay and will miss her, it's her decision to make, not ours, and we wish her well."
Yep. Agreed.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Irrespective of Loyd's reasons for leaving, which I am not privy to, if I were in Muffet's shoes I would feel a tremendous sense of betrayal. And to hear this an hour after the championship game...ouch.

But I'm not going to lie awake worrying about it. Notre Dame will be very good again next year, maybe better.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Sorry, but I remember when EDD left UConn in the middle of the night, two days after arriving on campus.. No warning. When Geno was interviewed, he also seemed confused, possibly bitter. Many UConn fans were bitter at the time, a few still are. It's a very similar situation. I would cut Muffett some slack.

ETA: Well, based on this article, I guess I misremembered. This is how Geno handled the EDD situation:

Nation's top recruit Delle Donne withdraws from UConn

Could not find any article from closer to when she left.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=3538720

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When has someone so dominant been at ND? You can argue Skylar..... but Jewell may be the best ND has ever recruited to South Bend

Yeah too bad Muffet went so public and was as verbose as she was..... should have just offered a short snip it, wished her well and left it at that

Reaction Score

Agree 100% with this.

I'd absolutely feel the same way if I were Muffet, especially if Loyd told her she was coming back. In my opinion, Loyd isn't getting nearly enough criticism for that.

But Muffet's been around a long time and is getting paid a lot of money - she should know better than to voice her displeasure in public. It doesn't help her in any way.

Reaction Score
It's hard not to understand how Muffet feels and coach would have felt same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom