Maybe UConn should just stay in the AAC | The Boneyard

Maybe UConn should just stay in the AAC

Reaction Score
It appears that the only competitive team we have these days is the women's basketball team. The men's basketball team is in decline. They just got massacred at home against Wagner and Northeastern, they're on a 3-game losing streak against Ivy League schools including losing at home to Yale, and may only make the tournament in the future when all of the good teams leave for P5 conferences. The football team, let's face it... they wouldn't be competitive in Division III. Even if they were, nobody shows up to the games anyways. Failed leadership at the top has brought about the decline of the major sports, and I don't see any interest on behalf of the P5 to pick up a beat-on in football with a once-decent basketball program. I think the worst is still yet to come.

Reaction Score
The men's basketball program was our ticket into a P5 conference. There is no way we get selected to a P5 conference if our men's basketball program is in freefall. Only 7000 people attended this game tonight. Our athletic department has fallen off a cliff. I hope these two games aren't a harbinger of things to come for the men's basketball program.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Weren't there some posters that said that staying in the AAC would eventually hurt the basketball program?

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Wow. How long have you been holding on to your negativity?
Anyway, yes, men's BB is off to a bad start and FB does stink. But the women's soccer program is in the NCAA tourney and Field Hockey is in the final 4, so all is not lost. I believe that the men's BB team will get the ship righted. I was at UConn during the dream season and I saw a mediocre team become a juggernaut almost overnight, so 2 games don't bug me much. Sure I have concerns, but for now that's all they are.
Your title says it all. No. UConn shouldn't just stay in the AAC. They should continue to make it the best university it can be and continue to look for opportunities to upgrade to an athletic conference that increases the stature of our athletic department and our academic prestige. The increased TV revenue would be nice too.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The men's basketball program was our ticket into a P5 conference. There is no way we get selected to a P5 conference if our men's basketball program is in freefall. Only 7000 people attended this game tonight. Our athletic department has fallen off a cliff. I hope these two games aren't a harbinger of things to come for the men's basketball program.
Umm no. Which P5 program does not have a football team in FBS? Let me know when you find one.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Hey, glass half full guy would say that if football could get a pulse again, it doesn't matter whatsoever what either hoops programs do in the coming years, we could improve our P5 profile simply by having a competitive football program again. Unfortunately for us, the glasses we drink out of in CT are about 500 gallons wide and, given the state drought, nobody's glass is anywhere near half full.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The whole premise is flawed. UConn doesn't have a choice in the matter, so of course it should stay in the AAC, right up to the moment that it doesn't have to anymore.

As for hoops, Ollie is recruiting well, so the league hasn't hurt us much yet. Unfortunately, he's coaching so poorly that our pathetic performance may well hurt us in future recruiting. That's a perfect storm we have to avoid. This program can come crashing down. The AAC means we are working without a net.

Reaction Score
7000 isn't bad for a monday night game vs. Northeastern.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think UConn is officially worthless to any other league that matters. We should just keep our head down and hope the AAC doesn't toss us at this point.

Shocking that staying in a southern mid-major league would do this much damage to our athletic program. I am surprised that no one predicted that.

Reaction Score
I think UConn is officially worthless to any other league that matters. We should just keep our head down and hope the AAC doesn't toss us at this point.

Shocking that staying in a southern mid-major league would do this much damage to our athletic program. I am surprised that no one predicted that.
Shut up.

Reaction Score
StoningtonQB, I recognize
That you're new here and look
Forward to our interactions about
UConn athletics

Reaction Score
Emo mofos.
You can't call people emo anymore. Maybe in 2010, but at this point? There are literally no indicators that we can look at to feel positive about the medium- to long-term future of this athletic department.

Reaction Score
You can't call people emo anymore. Maybe in 2010, but at this point? There are literally no indicators that we can look at to feel positive about the medium- to long-term future of this athletic department.
I said it before, we're on the Big Ten's radar. If you don't want to believe me, fine. All I will even say on the matter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom