Matthew Wood to the Portal | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Matthew Wood to the Portal

Reaction Score
We went 15-19-2. We were shut out 7 times. It wasn’t just that other teams got better this year, we didn’t keep up. The buck stops somewhere and that’s usually in the head coaches office. You can’t keep trying to paint this season or the overall success of this program as anything but mediocre. It hurts me to say it, because I’ve spent a lot of time and money rooting for these guys. The sky has fallen. It was not fun watching them get shut out 6 times on home ice. It won’t be fun next year unless a miracle occurs. I hope for one, but they are pretty rare.

No one here agrees with anything you say, but you say you have all the facts. That’s pretty delusional in my book.
We built an Atlantic Conference hockey rink. If we wanted to go head to head for National Championships with BU & BCU we needed to build a 6,000 seat arena. We belong in the Atlantic Hockey Conference as does Merrimack!

Reaction Score
I agree. The on-campus arena was supposed to ascend our program and it has done the opposite. They've essentially capped our future success. No team with a 2,500k seat arena is gonna win a championship or vy for one for that matter. Good news is the University can still fix their terrible mistake. Give Toscano to the Women's program and go back to the XL. The XL renovation includes a legit partition system that can reduce capacity to just the lower bowl.

Reaction Score
The Men still use Toscano for practice and day-to-day but play games at XL. That would be best for recruiting as well. How do you sell the atmosphere at Toscano to a recruit? You can't, but you can still sell it as a campus home base and top-notch practice facility.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
More players were going to go if Wood didn’t leave.
That may be true but they lost a lot, regardless. It’s a complete rebuild. Richard and Muldowney and maybe a few upperclassmen who return. I tend to think of Brian Kelly while at Notre Dame…essentially a complete rebuild after the 16’ season, I believe…from assistants to recruiting to training etc etc etc. he found quite a bit of success afterwards (no titles, but 2 cfb playoff appearances and solid years). I hope the coaching stafff takes something from that and just rebuilds the program. The problem will be talent. They lost 2 really good players going to elite programs when they should be on the uconn roster. It can be done, but they need to win next year and I’m not sure how that’s gonna happen.

That is why they play the games.

Reaction Score
I agree. The on-campus arena was supposed to ascend our program and it has done the opposite. They've essentially capped our future success. No team with a 2,500k seat arena is gonna win a championship or vy for one for that matter. Good news is the University can still fix their terrible mistake. Give Toscano to the Women's program and go back to the XL. The XL renovation includes a legit partition system that can reduce capacity to just the lower bowl.
D Toscano would surely be onboard with this solution

Reaction Score
Burton, Werth and others have paid big bucks to fund practice facilities. The Men playing at Toscano is not tenable.

Reaction Score
We built an Atlantic Conference hockey rink. If we wanted to go head to head for National Championships with BU & BCU we needed to build a 6,000 seat arena. We belong in the Atlantic Hockey Conference as does Merrimack!
That is absurd, of course. What were we doing with the extra 4000 seats? I’ve been to a few of these big arenas when crowds have been sparse.

Plus hockey is very much a niche sport in Connecticut. Hate to burst your bubble but Connecticut ain’t Boston or New Hampshire or Maine or Minnesota when it comes to hockey. It is a fine sized arena. I don’t love some things , like the student deck and the fact that it is cursed, but capacity isn’t one of them.

Reaction Score
That is absurd, of course. What were we doing with the extra 4000 seats? I’ve been to a few of these big arenas when crowds have been sparse.

Plus hockey is very much a niche sport in Connecticut. Hate to burst your bubble but Connecticut ain’t Boston or New Hampshire or Maine or Minnesota when it comes to hockey. It is a fine sized arena. I don’t love some things , like the student deck and the fact that it is cursed, but capacity isn’t one of them.
Go to a BC or BU game when they’re not playing each other. The crowds are not > 3000. The B1G appears to draw more fans.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Trolls abound!

Reaction Score
Go to a BC or BU game when they’re not playing each other. The crowds are not > 3000. The B1G appears to draw more fans.
That was my point. People who argue for 6000 seats want that just to brag about how big it is. Not because it is needed.

Reaction Score
We promised a 4,000+ arena when accepted to Hockey East. Promised, as in, yes, we’ll meet our obligation.

Reaction Score
We promised a 4,000+ arena when accepted to Hockey East. Promised, as in, yes, we’ll meet our obligation.
Then Hockey East said, ”Never mind”. Hockey East is very happy to have UConn as a member. The arena size is not important. Just like every sport, they get that with streaming and high def and all, fewer and fewer fans “need” to be at the game.

Reaction Score
Then Hockey East said, ”Never mind”. Hockey East is very happy to have UConn as a member. The arena size is not important. Just like every sport, they get that with streaming and high def and all, fewer and fewer fans “need” to be at the game.

Because there are games at the XL, overall capacity for the program sits closer to 4k, and maybe that was part of the agreement,

What a larger venue on campus would have done is allowed the box office to be open so anyone who is not a season ticket holder and wanted to see a game could simply buy them there (or online) directly instead of toy with the dicey secondary market. Parking is still an issue since Tuscano is way more remote than Gampel is to facilities, and there are no other street parking or mass transit options that are found in Hartford.

A simpler arena a little larger along the lines of QU or Sacred Heart or even Providence would have been better, but hey it is what it is, and this is where many of us get off the #IceBus as regular Season ticket holders.

Reaction Score
I get that Cav has done some good things and some mediocre things. But who would we hire that's going to make this program any better than it is at this point? Would they want to come here at all? Genuine question, not trying to be a jerk.

Reaction Score
I get that Cav has done some good things and some mediocre things. But who would we hire that's going to make this program any better than it is at this point? Would they want to come here at all? Genuine question, not trying to be a jerk.
Answer to the second question is yes. This is a job in a premier conference in the game and there are only about 60 D 1 jobs in total. NO more than about half are in leagues that could be considered comparable or close to HEA. And there are only a handful, if that, of those open in any given year. Brown isn’t moving from BC, but there wouldn’t be a lack of candidates.

Who would we get? Not sure but I would absolutely talk to Eric Lang from AIC. Built a longtime bottom-feeder into a top AHA program. Been to 3 NCAA Tournaments from a 1 bid league.
Maybe Joe Pereira the BU assistant. He was here for 9 years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom