Matthew Wood to the Portal | The Boneyard

Matthew Wood to the Portal

Reaction Score
Well that's gonna leave a mark. Is this team going to be watchable product next year? Damn.

Reaction Score
Such a bad look for the program. This was suppose to be their year and they went the other way with it . Since that Cornell game in 2022 everything has gone in the wrong direction. Cav needs to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I have no issue with Wood leaving and the others that will leave.

My issue lies with the head coach. Year 12 of his tenure is going to be a rebuilding year. He should not be in charge of this program.

Had a 1st round pick on the roster and did not upgrade the talent around Wood, does not believe in giving players more than their scholarship is worth, does not have the program participating in Bleeding Blue For Good, recruiting has fallen off since Joe Pereira left, has developed 1 NHLer in 12 years, he has done nothing to improve the student section which is the worst in the top hockey conferences, and the program is rudderless.

Reaction Score
I have no issue with Wood leaving and the others that will leave.

My issue lies with the head coach. Year 12 of his tenure is going to be a rebuilding year. He should not be in charge of this program.

Had a 1st round pick on the roster and did not upgrade the talent around Wood, does not believe in giving players more than their scholarship is worth, does not have the program participating in Bleeding Blue For Good, recruiting has fallen off since Joe Pereira left, has developed 1 NHLer in 12 years, he has done nothing to improve the student section which is the worst in the top hockey conferences, and the program is rudderless.
I called this 2 summers ago when many didn't want to believe the narrative as AD DB outbid himself, to keep this fraud. BC got exactly who they were going to always gonna get and how's that worked out for them up in Chestnut Hill. ;)

This HC is nothing more than a hockey hanger-on type who was gonna retire from the game until Warde Manuel threw him a lifeline, when no one in hockey was offering him a HC'ing job. Uconn gave the wet blanket everything he was suppose to need, training facilities, an on campus arena.... ( that indirectly lost half it's fanbase from the XL). Which he's turned into the same type morgue that Gampel was with KO.
To top it off he's now leaking the type of players, Uconn's upgrade was to supposed to attract, as Cav has no clue how to develop them, SMH!

Reaction Score
mac2351 and Blades covered this pretty accurately above. But don't think for moment that Barry Trotz, Preds GM, wasn't involved in this decision also. Cavanaugh has been fully exposed. Then DB panicked in giving him a ridiculous contract. We'll have to have him a another year and see we are because we are upside down with his contract. I have little hope of any improvement.

In the meantime, Wood regressed this year and he can't afford to take another stagnant development year in Storrs. I don't blame him in the least!

Can we force Cavanaugh into the portal?

Reaction Score
Wood transferring is probably best for his development. At UConn he was being asked to drive a line and he is just not capable of doing that. He needs to play with players that can carry him since he is more of a support player. The B1G is a good choice for him. Good Luck to him.

Reaction Score
I understand criticizing Cavanaugh for the past year or 2 but damn burning down everything he's done?
He did almost pull off a great win over UMass who was heavily favored in the HE championship a few years ago. To act like that did t happen is odd.

Reaction Score
Such a bad look for the program. This was suppose to be their year and they went the other way with it . Since that Cornell game in 2022 everything has gone in the wrong direction. Cav needs to go.
I'm getting sick of all this Cav needs to go talk!

Reaction Score
Besides the one season and trip to the finals for Hockey East what exactly has Cav done to continue to lead this program for this long. Sustained mediocrity should not be the goal for the program.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I understand criticizing Cavanaugh for the past year or 2 but damn burning down everything he's done?
He did almost pull off a great win over UMass who was heavily favored in the HE championship a few years ago. To act like that did t happen is odd.

So...he almost did something?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I like Cav and think he is about as good as UConn can expect in the marketplace and has really only had the full support for a couple years now since being able to sell an actual home rink and HE level facilities. That said, a very disappointing season and your best players hitting the portal is not a good look. The clock has officially started. I think he's got two years max to make the NCAA or win Hockey East. It shouldn't be that heavy a lift with the portal. He's shown he can grab productive transfers, he just needs to find a few more difference makers. There is still talent on this team and if Wood was sucking more NIL resources than he was worth, then it's good he moved on. I'll take three gamers with 80% of his talent if you can find them.

Reaction Score
So...he almost did something?
He almost won a HE championship against the defending national champs, he finished in the top 5 in the HE for like 4-5 years.
Again, I'm not fighting to keep him after this year if he can't pull a rabbit out of his hat but the Cav haters are so far out there acting like his tenure here has been a disaster.
It's very likely he has hit his ceiling and if that's the case we move on soon if we can fiscally make it work. I'm not privvy to the behinds the scenes stuff that some apparently are so we shall see.

Reaction Score
I'm getting sick of all this Cav needs to go talk!
What should we expect 12 years in? I respect your position re: Cavanaugh, but I think it's wrong. He needs to feel the heat for 24-25. We are not progressing as we should. One trip to Boston and zero NCAA appearances in the his first 11 years is simply unacceptable.

Wood going to the portal can't be sugarcoated. It's a bad sign period. Guaranteed Nashville saw what we saw - Wood was back sliding. He needs a fresh start and I wish him well.

Since it's evident that Cavanaugh isn't going anywhere in the short term, I hope he is trying to enhance the staff. The overall coaching situation must improve. That's the only thing that can save his job now.

Reaction Score
Cavs lost the team for long stretches this past season, particularly at Tuscano. The numerous 5 min major penalities seemed to be a regular occurrence ans all were on his watch. Special teams were especially bad. It wasn’t until March and playing Vermont twice that they looked something like a team again. Also credit their play vs BC in the third period of the HE playoffs, but if the transfer portal becomes a net loss and the team is even worse next season, and season ticket holders begin abandoning the IceBus, Cavs must go.

Reaction Score
But the hockey team won’t be.
Yes, the hockey team will be fine. The sky is not falling. There will be UConn Hockey East games at Tuscany and the XL next year. It should be another fun year.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Yes, the hockey team will be fine. The sky is not falling. There will be UConn Hockey East games at Tuscany and the XL next year. It should be another fun year.
You’re delusional. We’re going to play in Italy? By the way, the sky already fell. Wake up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Matthew Wood…What a disappointment to lose him. Those are the recruits that can do more for a program then just playing that sport. He took a chance on Uconn and for multiple reasons, it didn’t work out.

I’m not qualified to talk about the lack of development and coaching but I was hoping his late season flurry would help ease some resentment towards Uconn and the fan base. I thought he was made the fall guy for obviously much bigger issues then what appeared. I tend to agree that Nashville having a say and also some bitterness on Wood’s part played into this decision.

Playing for the World Juniors ended up being detrimental to Uconn in hindsight. Too many people in his ear and it took away from what his role was to UConn’s team. I don’t think Wood did so selfishly though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom