Maryland Post Game Izzo Presser | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Maryland Post Game Izzo Presser

Reaction Score
I'd put serious money against that. University higher ups have already fallen on the sword. The Board can use that as an excuse to say action was taken. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Izzo makes it through, scathed, but alive.

and again any other year you would be right. It seems like nobody escapes these days. There will probably be rallies on his own campus for him to resign.

Reaction Score
Seriously. As much as it annoys people, just go with the boilerplate, "I've been advised by lawyers and the University to not speak on this matter until all investigations are complete. thank you."

I should get paid more.

Reaction Score
I'd put serious money against that. University higher ups have already fallen on the sword. The Board can use that as an excuse to say action was taken. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Izzo makes it through, scathed, but alive.
Maybe, but Izzo still has to answer why he let Payne & Appling stay at MSU for 4 years when Payne admitted they raped a girl on tape. He is in charge of MSU BB & he knew (at least) 2 of his players raped a girl and did nothing.....he's the adult & he was in charge of his players and he did nothing knowing they raped a girl.....we can only assume he didn't care.

Reaction Score
He looked incredibly uncomfortable and if this happens at every post game press conference I can't see him coming back next year.

Reaction Score

And the new Prez/AD will have no loyalty to their coaches either. If the new regime is told to clean house, that's what they will do.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Seriously. As much as it annoys people, just go with the boilerplate, "I've been advised by lawyers and the University to not speak on this matter until all investigations are complete. thank you."

I should get paid more.
"So you're telling us today the MSU basketball program is under investigation? By whom? For what?"

You shouldn't get paid at all

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
And the new Prez/AD will have no loyalty to their coaches either. If the new regime is told to clean house, that's what they will do.

True, but if the Board doesn't want Izzo removed, he won't be. They'll go a lot further for a HOF coach, than they would for a President/AD. The latter are easily replaceable.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Cooperated in investigations conducted by an AD who has since been fired for hiding assaults. Tom Izzo is an idiot.

What doe that mean? I'm curious as to what Izzo knew and what information he was privy to. Did he see Payne's tape? Has any of this been determined?

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
What doe that mean? I'm curious as to what Izzo knew and what information he was privy to. Did he see Payne's tape? Has any of this been determined?
No I mean it's stupid to hide behind "investigations have shown I didn't do anything wrong!" when the AD has since been fired for hiding wrongdoing.

Reaction Score
They're all going down (Prez, AD, any coach associated with these cover-ups, over-paid puppet admins, etc.) - it's just a matter of time. They should all be in jail. What the hell is wrong with people?! Hypocrisy and the almighty dollar over human decency abound everywhere. It's disgusting.

On Izzo, specifically - what a coward. A guy that is one of the most prepared coach in the last 50 years can't remember why a former star player turned coach left the program. BS!!

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I've ever seen a coach more uncomfortable during a press conference.

The gold standard has been Roy being asked about the UNC job after Kansas lost in the title game. But that’s humorous where this is tragic.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
No I mean it's stupid to hide behind "investigations have shown I didn't do anything wrong!" when the AD has since been fired for hiding wrongdoing.

Ok, I understand, but that could imply that the AD hid information from Izzo, no? And Izzo participated to the extent the AD allowed him to. Again, I have no information. Nor any desire to side with or support Izzo whatsoever.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Ok, I understand, but that could imply that the AD hid information from Izzo, no? And Izzo participated to the extent the AD allowed him to. Again, I have no information. Nor any desire to side with or support Izzo whatsoever.
It could point to a ton of things, all of which taint prior investigations, making "i've been investigated already!" a dumb thing to say.

Reaction Score
There is another aspect to the story that people aren't talking about and that is the role the media has played during all of this. If Izzo is guilty of covering up some egregious behavior, then he's guilty. If that means this is too much of a circus right now and you can't have him coaching the team, fine. I think that makes sense. Some things come before basketball.

But why is it somehow noble to grill a coach with questions you know he can't answer in a post game press conference? Do people get warm feelings when this kind of thing essentially becomes a back and forth at recess? Because these resignations are the result of public pressure and not justice. The scene at that press conference is taking at delicate legal process and moving it to the cafeteria so that some reporter has the chance to be a hero, despite the fact that the very negligence of the media contributed to the Universities ability to cover this up in the first place. Why? Because it wasn't as convenient then.

Michigan State is clearly guilty and Tom Izzo might be. The common denominator is always the media being obnoxious, chasing page clicks, and establishing narratives that predate facts. That is the cause and whatever happened at Michigan State is the symptom. Until the American public starts to realize what is going on here, injustice is just going to be perpetually re-distributed.

Reaction Score
I just don't think it's plausible he didn't know about Payne copping on tape to Appling forcing the girl, the girl said they both forced her. How the DA didn't bring charges with that tape is really unfathomable.....it wasn't he said / she said.....both parties said it was rape essentially.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I work in the psych field familiar with body language can communicate more than words
He even gives the reporter the "death stare" as if he is going to wreck her career. He did seem impressed at how much detail she knew.

These coaches are real sociopaths.

Reaction Score
The thing that gets me more than any of it is how this wasn't caught by someone. Campus PD records are public information.Like how SOMETHING wasn't flagged earlier and pursued more - aby anyone - be in the administration itself, the school, the media - it's astonishing. This wasn't a quiet thing. This was rampant.

And to boot - what a terrible year for college basketball and particularly old Big East teams. Good in a way, because so much cleaning up needs to be done and that's what's really important. But this will demolish Michigan State as a program. UConn's in free fall. Louisville is toast for the forseeable future. Syracuse seems like a mired mess. Georgetown is a shattered mess. Pitt is entirely uncompetitive and BC is an active disaster. Providence has underperformed and lost to freaking UMass. Then the FBI probe I don't think has even scratched the surface. Just sad, that's all.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
The thing that gets me more than any of it is how this wasn't caught by someone.
People were chanting in support of JoePa after like 3 months. Our collective consciousness does some hardcore mental gymnastics the look the other way when our heroes are terrible or do terrible things.

Reaction Score
The scene at that press conference is taking at delicate legal process and moving it to the cafeteria so that some reporter has the chance to be a hero, despite the fact that the very negligence of the media contributed to the Universities ability to cover this up in the first place. Why? Because it wasn't as convenient then.

I think you underestimate how important the press is to justice and democracy. If anything the press has been too weak for too long and the time for them to be embolden is long overdue. The "legal process" left to its own devices participated in covering this up and that process doesn't deserve to be put on any type of pedestal when comparing that process to the process of investigative journalism.

The legal process without the watchful eye of a free press quite often becomes a cesspool.

and the whole me too movement began with Harvey Weinsteen resigning because of a story in the New York Times.

Last edited:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
The common denominator is always the media being obnoxious, chasing page clicks, and establishing narratives that predate facts. That is the cause and whatever happened at Michigan State is the symptom. Until the American public starts to realize what is going on here, injustice is just going to be perpetually re-distributed.[/QUOTE]

Holy crap. Yep, that is the real problem

Reaction Score

Since the AD was his college roommate, and Izzo was the best man at his wedding, I'd doubt that the AD hid anything from him.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
What really bothers me is that it has been years that these stories and rumors have been out there and the college basketball media largely ignored the story because Tom Izzo was one of their favorites. Now that he is considered fair game they are like vultures circling the carcass. Maybe they should look in the mirror and think consider if they regret the way they acted as well

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom