Maryland Lawsuit | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Maryland Lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
People like IthicaMatt are the reason people like caw get beer thrown at them at the XL.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
pretty bad ruling for UMD if they were actually hoping to litigate in Maryland...pretty good ruling if you are a fan of the legal system actually being fair.

Thanks for posting though. I hadn't seen this.
Really? The judge only dismissed one claim of MD which was pretty silly to begin with. The majority of their suit remains in tact. Not sure this ruling does anything at all to weaken MD's case.

Reaction Score
Really? The judge only dismissed one claim of MD which was pretty silly to begin with. The majority of their suit remains in tact. Not sure this ruling does anything at all to weaken MD's case.

The judge basically ordered a stay. I'm not a lawyer, maybe my interpretation of that is incorrect, but that pretty much puts an end to any possible home cooking for Maryland as this is going to play out entirely in North Carolina now, and can be revisited in Maryland after that case is resolved.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
You mean the watered down version that Syracuse has struggled with and gone 18-44?
the boneyard: where idiots from other teams' fanbases flock, like flies to a lamp, to own themselves.

good work, matty boy

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"A Prince George's County Circuit Court judge dismissed a small portion of Maryland’s suit against the Atlantic Coast Conference on Friday and put the rest on hold pending the resolution of a case in North Carolina."

Reaction Score
Quick update on the UMD lawsuit. Attorney General in Maryland appealing decision by Prince George’s County Circuit Court to hold off hearing the case until the NC case was decided. Maryland is challenging that ruling in hopes to have the case heard in their home state.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/...he-acc-maryland-court-attorney-general-pushes

That would indeed be interesting...having courts in two different states hearing cases with essentially the same facts.....chances for multiple decisions, disagreeing decisions...

I'll lay in some popcorn.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

So what does the North Carolina court do if Maryland ignores it?

It's not like a North Carolina state official can force Maryland state employees to cut the ACC a check.

And I don't see NC state troopers barricading Maryland buildings or preventing the teams from travelling across state borders.

And I don't see Maryland law enforcement assisting North Carolina in making anything stick.

It seems to me that in order for any North Carolina state court decisions to have any enforcement teeth they are going to need the federal government to make it happen.

Reaction Score
The ACC can, and will, just keep witholding Maryland's disbursements...they will leave in June of 2014.

The ACC will have $35-40 million of the $52 million collected...

Reaction Score
And, if the ACC receives a judgement against Maryland...that might affect U. Maryland's bond ratings.

Reaction Score
darrenrovell 2:32pm via Tweetbot for iOS Court of Appeals rules that Maryland owes $52,266,342 to the ACC for exit

Not accurate. We can't get to the case because Maryland keeps trying to dispute the venue for the case. They are losing the appeals of venue. They have now lost it in Maryland court or at least stayed and in North Carolina court. Hopefully eventually the case will be heard.

Reaction Score
Not accurate. We can't get to the case because Maryland keeps trying to dispute the venue for the case. They are losing the appeals of venue. They have now lost it in Maryland court or at least stayed and in North Carolina court. Hopefully eventually the case will be heard.
If this case is heard the internet would go into meltdown mode. The leaks from discovery responses alone would be enough crack for even the most hardcore conference realignment junkies.

Long way away from that though and I still think it settles before anyone is deposed.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
For the purposes of conference realignment, I don't see how this case means a thing.

The amount of money Maryland pays to the ACC has no bearing on the here and now.

If Maryland pays $52,000,000, they will be in the Big Ten. If Maryland pays $3, they will be in the Big Ten.

The impact going forward will be somewhere around zero.

Reaction Score
It has no immediate effect.

But if Maryland can defeat the exit fee language it is one less hurdle for the next team to leave (if there is a next team) who has to challenge the GOR.

An Acc legal victory makes it unlikely a team can afford to leave the conference based on a 53+ million dollar exit fee plus hundreds of thousands of dollars more in legally challenging a GOR.

The Acc had probably cemented its fate already but upholding the exit fee amount would erase any doubts of a team leaving that conference.

Reaction Score
I think the lesson is already there...breach..and you will be without any money flowing in for several years even if you prevail in court...

Reaction Score
That’s what Rockefeller said, but the Supreme Court is not swallowing it.

Reaction Score
It has no immediate effect.

But if Maryland can defeat the exit fee language it is one less hurdle for the next team to leave (if there is a next team) who has to challenge the GOR.

An Acc legal victory makes it unlikely a team can afford to leave the conference based on a 53+ million dollar exit fee plus hundreds of thousands of dollars more in legally challenging a GOR.

The Acc had probably cemented its fate already but upholding the exit fee amount would erase any doubts of a team leaving that conference.

While $52 MM is not chump change, the real fight, if there is going to be a fight, will be over the GOR.

Since the GOR extends thru 2027 (14 more years) an avg payout of $20+MM per year equates to $280-$300MM at stake for a school if they want to get out. This is why I don't see anyone leaving either the ACC or Big 12.

The only thing that could make schools start to look around is if the SEC Network launches as a huge success and if the upcoming B1G contract negotiations generate the $40+MM per year payouts that some are predicting. If that happens there might be some schools interesting in challenging these GORs.

Otherwise, unfortunately for us, CR may be dead for a while

Reaction Score
Generally, I agree.
The remaining wildcards in the short-term for Conference Realignment are:
1) If the B1G needs to get to 16 members for the next TV contract and if so, who do they go after?
2) If Texas’s new AD blows-up the XII as I believe Texas would have never agreed to the XII GOR if there wasn’t a way for them to get out of it
3) If West Virginia weighs the cost of legally challenging the XII GOR against their revenue loss as an isolated outpost (900 miles from Kansas U) and sues.

Reaction Score
On the bright side, taking such a major financial hit and with an athletic department budget that has more red it in than their uniforms, maybe future UConn/Maryland games at Barclay’s will be true natural court games instead of a game at College Park North…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom