Maryland Fan Thoughts On The Game | The Boneyard

Maryland Fan Thoughts On The Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
First thing first, congrats on a great game. I heard KLS was sick but she made clutch shot after clutch shot. The whole team made clutch shots including that Chong girl again.

Several poster during the week stated that our two freshmen would have trouble adjusting to UConn on the big stage. Our two best players last night were the freshmen Slocum and Charles. Many people on the Maryland boards think they could be the next Toliver and Coleman. Brionna Jones played well with her double double.

UConn did an outstanding job of defending SWK. She had no room to penetrate and was taken out of the game.

Two of the keys to the game was that 14-0 run at the start of the 3rd quarter and SWK and Confroy going 0-7 from three point territory. If Confroy hit those two WIDE OPEN three pointers and SWK didn't step on the line for her long two pointer, we win the game (theoretically). Nurse seem like she hit all her open three pointers.

Finally, the crowd at Xfinity Center was outstanding. Especially in the 4th quarter when we tried to come back. But give UConn credit, they didn't fold under the pressure of the very noisy Xfinity crowd.

Again congrats on a great win and breaking the 90 game win streak in the future.

I'll probably stay on here during the morning but probably won't be back until the South Carolina game.

Reaction Score
Congrats on a great game played and for your graciousness. It was all good for WCBB: great, great crowd, national TV, and a Maryland team that just wouldn't quit. Lots of upside for your club, and undoubtedly a final four team, and after that, all bets are (as always) off. Very exciting time to be a Terp fan.

You can expect other BYers to acknowledge your good thoughts as well, but let me be the first to caution about "what ifs" in basketball, because what if Lou hadn't been so sick? I had that bug (norovirus) last week, and I can tell you that from the looks of her, Pheesa may have been playing sick too. Fortunately, it goes through young people in about 1 day.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
First thing first, congrats on a great game. I heard KLS was sick but she made clutch shot after clutch shot. The whole team made clutch shots including that Chong girl again.

Several poster during the week stated that our two freshmen would have trouble adjusting to UConn on the big stage. Our two best players last night were the freshmen Slocum and Charles. Many people on the Maryland boards think they could be the next Toliver and Coleman. Brionna Jones played well with her double double.

UConn did an outstanding job of defending SWK. She had no room to penetrate and was taken out of the game.

Two of the keys to the game was that 14-0 run at the start of the 3rd quarter and SWK and Confroy going 0-7 from three point territory. If Confroy hit those two WIDE OPEN three pointers and SWK didn't step on the line for her long two pointer, we win the game (theoretically). Nurse seem like she hit all her open three pointers.

Finally, the crowd at Xfinity Center was outstanding. Especially in the 4th quarter when we tried to come back. But give UConn credit, they didn't fold under the pressure of the very noisy Xfinity crowd.

Again congrats on a great win and breaking the 90 game win streak in the future.

I'll probably stay on here during the morning but probably won't be back until the South Carolina game.
Yea, you guys won the rebounding battle, TO's were close, 2 pt shooting was close, FT were close, the biggest difference was the 3 pt %. 43% to 25%. That won it for us.

Slocum and Charles were great. Your future looks good.

Reaction Score

You certainly should be very proud of your team. They played a great game and, as you point-out, your two freshman were outstanding. Charles was more than solid and Slocum was off the charts! (She is going to have a super career and if she plays as you did yesterday, will be a stand-out WCBB star now and in the future). The two "if's" in your post that I have a slight problem with, however, are your reference to Conroy's misses and SWK stepping on the line...followed by your comment "we win the game ( theoretically)'.
I'm sure you would have to concede that there were a few "if's" on the UConn side which could have made the margin of victory even greater. "If" Williams and Collier didn't get into foul trouble and "if" they had played the whole, or more, of the game, "if' due to not having four fouls they would have been free to contest fourth period Maryland layups that tightened the score, "if " KLS was healthy the entire game and played up to her ability during the first half.........
Just saying....

Reaction Score
You certainly should be very proud of your team. They played a great game and, as you point-out, your two freshman were outstanding. Charles was more than solid and Slocum was off the charts! (She is going to have a super career and if she plays as you did yesterday, will be a stand-out WCBB star now and in the future). The two "if's" in your post that I have a slight problem with, however, are your reference to Conroy's misses and SWK stepping on the line...followed by your comment "we win the game ( theoretically)'.
I'm sure you would have to concede that there were a few "if's" on the UConn side which could have made the margin of victory even greater. "If" Williams and Collier didn't get into foul trouble and "if" they had played the whole, or more, of the game, "if' due to not having four fouls they would have been free to contest fourth period Maryland layups that tightened the score, "if " KLS was healthy the entire game and played up to her ability during the first half....
Just saying....
Point taken. The Maryland boards are hitting Confroy pretty hard. That missed wide open three pointer in the 4th quarter when we made our run was a heartbreaker because she hit 5 three pointers in a game earlier this season and hit 8 three pointers in a game last season. If she was on last night..............

Reaction Score
Point taken. The Maryland boards are hitting Confroy pretty hard. That missed wide open three pointer in the 4th quarter when we made our run was a heartbreaker because she hit 5 three pointers in a game earlier this season and hit 8 three pointers in a game last season. If she was on last night....

Also remember that UConn shot a very unUConn like 10-16 from the foul line

Reaction Score
Regarding the imaginary game, the "ifs", it's hard for me to imagine KLS having a greater impact on the game than she did and the foul trouble that limited UConn's ability to contest, highlights the squad's primary weakness, lack of depth. My if is if De'Janae Boykin doesn't transfer, we have enough fouls to rotate bigs. Let's see how that game plays out.

IAC, winners all around. UConn's really bad for WCBB. I'm getting flashbacks to the Taurasi era enthusiasm, the streak really matters! MD were tough, are tough and gonna be tough going fwd. I hope this series continues.

Reaction Score
Point taken. The Maryland boards are hitting Confroy pretty hard. That missed wide open three pointer in the 4th quarter when we made our run was a heartbreaker because she hit 5 three pointers in a game earlier this season and hit 8 three pointers in a game last season. If she was on last night....
Just can't let go of the "ifs", huh? :) As a Patriots fan, I well know that feeling after a very, very tough and significant loss.....

Reaction Score
And IF the dog hadn't stopped to , he would've caught the fox.;)

Reaction Score
Also remember that UConn shot a very unUConn like 10-16 from the foul line
I noticed that. Two things you can count on from both teams.
UConn will always go on a double digit run sometime during a game.
Teams will always shoot FTs poorly against Maryland (see WSU and Louisville)

Reaction Score
I hope this series continues.

There is a push from some Maryland fans that the Terps need to start scheduling games against South Carolina, Baylor, Texas, Tennessee, etc. It will be good for the women game as we saw from the crowd last night. Love a home and home against UConn. We'll play Notre Dame, Louisville and Florida State in the ACC/Big 10 challenge.

Reaction Score
I noticed that. Two things you can count on from both teams.
UConn will always go on a double digit run sometime during a game.
Teams will always shoot FTs poorly against Maryland (see WSU and Louisville)

Must be something hypnotic about those jazzy Terp uniforms:D

Reaction Score
It seems to be natural to lament what could have been by expressing the ifs after a loss. It's hard for we UCONN fans to understand this because we are rarely on the losing side. I say we give TerpWF a break and just be thankful that we aren't often tempted to express similar thoughts.

Reaction Score
Our two best players last night were the freshmen Slocum and Charles.
Slocum & Charles were really good, but you know Lou was good when she came to UConn, now she is great. Thank you Geno & staff. You're on the clock Brenda, along with Muffet.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It seems to be natural to lament what could have been by expressing the ifs after a loss. It's hard for we UCONN fans to understand this because we are rarely on the losing side. I say we give TerpWF a break and just be thankful that we aren't often tempted to express similar thoughts.

Its okay for fans to indulge in the "if" game but it is not something that should be used as a crutch by the players or coach. To their credit, MD is handling this loss the right way as a learning experience from a great opponent that exposed some weaknesses that can be improved and will motivate the next encounter (Hopefully in the FF)

Reaction Score
Missed this early 3pm game. Brianna Fraser had an outstanding 12 minutes on the box score page.
7 pts, 7 rebounds and drew the 4th foul on Collier.
Only one PF. She will be hard to handle after the big 10 season.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Slocum & Charles were really good, but you know Lou was good when she came to UConn, now she is great. Thank you Geno & staff. You're on the clock Brenda, along with Muffet.
Brenda and Mufftet have a National Championsip and both MD and ND are currently Top 5 teams. They've done pretty well for themselves.

Reaction Score

A really gracious post. I think fan's estimation of Slocum as the next Tolliver may underrank Slocum. She is among the best freshmen I'v seen in years.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Like last year, I don't think Maryland's OOC Schedule is strong enough to get them ready to beat UConn. They are an extremely talented team and probably top to bottom more talented then UConn. The difference is UConn players play a tough OOC Schedule and are prepared to make plays down the stretch of a game that enables them to win close games. Maryland's players meanwhile have played one Top 10 team, two average PAC 12 teams and Duquesne. The rest of their OOC schedule is CUPCAKE City. Why is Maryland scheduling the likes of U Mass Lowell, Maryland Eastern Shore, Mount St Mary's (MD), Niagara, UMBC, Towson, St Peters, and Loyola MD. I understand scheduling a couple of the local schools but not five of them. Maryland also had a trip to Italy this year that the freshmen participated in so that got them extra practice time and game experiences. I'm not saying Maryland should schedule like UConn does, but there are plenty of good mid majors and other P5 teams that would give them more competitive game and Maryland with their talent would still end up with the same OOC Won/Loss Record. Maryland is an Elite team that Reloads, not Rebuilds and the players would have been better served if they had played tougher competition.

There is a push from some Maryland fans that the Terps need to start scheduling games against South Carolina, Baylor, Texas, Tennessee, etc. It will be good for the women game as we saw from the crowd last night. Love a home and home against UConn. We'll play Notre Dame, Louisville and Florida State in the ACC/Big 10 challenge.

Reaction Score

I was at the game and you guys were LOUD. It was an incredibly impressive environment and a fantastic game for women's basketball. The crowd was always in it and responded to big Maryland plays and runs, especially in the 4th Quarter. And the stands were completely full until the final seconds of the game. Very, very impressive crowd last night, you definitely have a great fanbase and a great team to continue to develop around.

Kudos on a great game and a great team to continue to grow a great fanbase. Hope we have more of these home and home games in the future. As a Connecticut transplant in the DC area, this was a great game for me to get to this year.

PS: Slocum was even more impressive live. WOW, what a great player, you'll have fun watching her for the next 3.5 years!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The whole team made clutch shots including that Chong girl again.
Thank you for your very gracious remarks. Your reference to Saniya Chong made me smile. As a lifelong Yankee fan, it made me think of the eternal reference by Red Sox fans after Bucky Dent hit the famous HR to win the 1978 playoff game at Fenway Park, "Bucky !?&$! Dent." Although in Saniya's case it happened 2 years in a row.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Several poster during the week stated that our two freshmen would have trouble adjusting to UConn on the big stage. Our two best players last night were the freshmen Slocum and Charles.
I recognize when I being rightfully called out since I was one of those posters. I was wrong Slocum and Charles not being ready for this game and as @meyers7 already said MD's future looks bright with those two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom